Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:26:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 200
Total: 202

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Paying for things  (Read 25852 times)

Offline pozhealthy

Paying for things
« on: April 23, 2008, 08:47:52 pm »
I am in a small support group of hiv members ( that i want to kill--LOL---- and just kidding.  Most of them qualified for the old definition of what aids was and got right on social security and medicare and all the wonderfull benefits allowed by law back then.....back in the dark ages,,,,,,,from 1988  and zoom to 2008
Things have changed quite a bit. To have aids now you have to have blood work that they approve and have and opportunistic infection. Great huh? I suppose i should let you know that there are those in the group that pay nada for thier meds and others who pay 100 or more dollars for just on prescription
How do YOU and Yours pay the bills and still get the meds you need????
Please share with the rest if us'
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 08:49:50 pm by pozhealthy »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Paying for things
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 11:19:33 pm »
I'm not sure exactly what the purpose of this is-are you bitter because some people got terribly sick and qualified for disability 'back in the day?'

I've been on disability since 1994, due to a horrible bout of wasting and low CD4 count (if I remember right, it was 4).  I have the Medicare Part D plan, but have co-pays with the meds.  Sometimes my ASO helps with those co-pays; other times I pay them myself and cut back on other things (like food).  I think it's a struggle for all, whether one has disability or not.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 12:26:22 am »
Well, unlike many of my fellow LTS brethren, I have been very, very lucky. I have never been ill as a result of my living with the bug.

That said, I pay between $10 and $40 for copays on meds for a total of $150 a month. I have what I consider excellent private insurance coverage through my employer.

The amount people pay varies widely.

Atripla costs somewhat more than $1,700 for a month's supply/.

I know one person whose copay is $3.15. Another person I know pays $422.22. This is for the same amount of the same prescription drug.

Those on Medicaid fare best here. They pay no copays at all. But Medicaid varies from state to state, so what it does elsewhere, who knows.

Medicare Part D, which pays for prescriptions, is hardly a gravy train. The person who pays $3 for his Atripla is on a Part D plan. But, there is the donut hole to consider. This person may have to cough up about $2,000 for his prescription if his plan doesn't cover the donut hole.

Some people have insurance that requires they use a mail order service for maintenance meds. Some of these mail order companies are pretty good, others suck wind. In most cases, the insured must pay one or two copays for a three-month supply of meds.

It goes on and on. There really are so many plans, so many different types of coverage, it is really amazing sometimes.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 12:28:17 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline ga1964

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 01:03:14 am »

Atripla costs somewhat more than $1,700 for a month's supply/.

[/quote]

Just a side note...If your Atripla is not in the factory sealed bottle, COUNT YOUR PILLS !.  I have been shorted twice this year.  The pharmacy did make it up, but it was a hassle to go back to get them. ( got to love those lines. )  I now do a count if they are not in the factory bottle.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 06:15:49 am »
I'm 56 and work, but have no insurance. My meds and labs are covered under Ryan White/ADAP for which I don't have to pay. Other than that I got nothin'.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 07:41:42 am »
Hi,

I am 56 years of age, and had my aids diagnosis, in October of 03. I probably could have qualified to go on disability. I was still working at the time, and I am still fortunate enough to work full time. ( group work plan) My meds total is 90.00 a month.( hiv meds) Lipitor is an additional 30.00 a month. Doctor co-pays 30.00 a month. I work to maintain my insurance, and I need my insurance , so I can keep working. But I also know, it ain't gonna last forever.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline ubotts

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 09:28:16 am »
I am one of those people from back in the day..

Yes, once I was diagnosed with hiv, they immediately put me on ssi and medicaid.
I dont pay a dime for any meds..

Also the Ryan White program could help you as well..

Just one bottle of mephron cost over 1,000.00,
Plus my other pills are over 800 dollar...

I could never afford to pay for my meds..So thank god for back in the days my friend.

In 1986 they didnt know much, and it was a horror..back in the day. Wasting syndrome was Huge..

My ex died from the wasting syndrome. Which now isn't as bad as it was back in the day..

So be glad you don't have to go though that part of having this disease...
Life is alot easier than it was now...Then there was only azt which we know now, was not such a good pill to take.....
I worked in an aids hospic and watched people waste away on a daily basics..
I worked there for almost 2 years, and couldn't take going back to visit my patients, only to find there bed empty....

It became too much for me to handle, plus thinking ...Is this my future... :(

I guess not, because I am still here and fatter than ever ;)
I do hope you can find a program such as The Ryan White Foundation, and get some help with paying the insane costs of hiv meds..

There the most expensive of all the drugs on the market...ummmmmmmmm ??? I wonder why?
Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline pozhealthy

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 04:01:59 pm »
let me clarify----i DON"T want to kill the people in my suport group---its just when the majority of them in the group are getting their care for free and are not working and yet still complaining about things--well it gets frustrating. I am working 60-70 hours a week to just get by. my prescription copays are more than $100 each.
i don't qualify for any type of assistance because i "make too much money"
so--just wondering how everyone out there is getting by if you are working and have to pay for your care.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 07:04:17 pm »
So are you saying that those of us who get cheap/free healthcare have no right to complain?  Do you think because we have free healthcare that solves all our health problems forever?
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 08:56:16 pm »
let me clarify----i DON"T want to kill the people in my suport group---its just when the majority of them in the group are getting their care for free and are not working and yet still complaining about things--well it gets frustrating. I am working 60-70 hours a week to just get by. my prescription copays are more than $100 each.
i don't qualify for any type of assistance because i "make too much money"
so--just wondering how everyone out there is getting by if you are working and have to pay for your care.

Maybe its time for you to get a better job with better insurance. Cause to me that sounds like Complaining.

just sayin

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 09:05:04 pm »
I had SSDI back in the day. Early 90's. I got off of it in 1998 I think. I went back to work.

How do I pay for treatment and meds? I go to a county clinic and fill out all sorts of paper work and provide even more paper work to qualify for programs that will pay for my meds either through the Texas Department of Health or Ryan White.

The quality of care sucks but if you are involved in your own care that can make up for the lack of attention you will undoubtedly receive from the assistant you see. It is a luxury if you see a real doctor. And of course I do not pay for meds.

Offline ga1964

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 02:06:09 am »
I'm self-employeed and have to provide my own insurance at $500.00 a month.  I have a $2,000.00 deductable for labs and hospital.  I also have a $250.00 deductable on meds every year, then I have a co-pay of $35.00 for each prescription ( Thank god Wal-Mart has $4.00 generics. ) and lets not forget the co-pay for the doctor at $40.00 each visit.  That comes to around $9200.00 a year, and god forbid, I have any unforeseen illnesses that could run the total up more.  I have exhausted my savings and I am not sure how much longer I can continue pay for insurance.

My ID of course told me how important it is that I keep insurance, but what good will insurance be if I loose my home and can't afford to buy food. ( what to do, what to do....Insurance or a roof over my head....Let's see. )

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 02:20:29 am »
My ID of course told me how important it is that I keep insurance, but what good will insurance be if I loose my home and can't afford to buy food. ( what to do, what to do....Insurance or a roof over my head....Let's see. )

I was self employed until july07 when I had my DVT/PE but I had stopped insurance long before that when gas prices started going up. I was a vendor with a 3 ton Isuzu and drove all day. It was diesel, and diesel used to be pretty reasonable, but not anymore. Same scenario: Insurance v/s food/housing...the winner was not insurance as if I had to go to the hospital, there was always the county hopistal.
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 03:33:33 pm »
I just want to say that I don't know how you folks who have to pay for medical care and medication do it! I think the added stress would have killed me long ago.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline positively_me

• love me...love my monkey
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 05:33:40 pm »
I don't think pozhealthy was trying to be nasty or imply that life is easier for people who get free meds or healthcare because they qualify for full disability.  I'm in a very similar situation where I work 40+ hours a week, have money taken out of my paychecks biweekly for health care and still have co-pays.  I make too much money to get any kind of assistance like free services from the ASOs or meds from ADAP.  In these tough economic times though, I am barely bringing home enough to support my child and myself.  Sometimes that is hard to swallow when you see others who don't have to have to do the 9 to 5 grind and get healthcare/meds for free.  Just like sometimes it is hard to take when you see non-hiv+ people complaining about a little ailment they may have.  We'd love to just have a little ailment...but aren't allowed that luxury.  However, you can never know what it is like for that person with the little ailment.  The grass may seem greener on the other side, but it isn't always.  :)

I personally find support groups hard to take when people who don't have to work or pay for services are always complaining.  As a fulltime working, single parent I can't understand their complaints.  Just like I bet they can't understand my complaints when I am fully able bodied and make my own money.
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 08:52:37 pm »
I personally find support groups hard to take when people who don't have to work or pay for services are always complaining.  As a fulltime working, single parent I can't understand their complaints.  Just like I bet they can't understand my complaints when I am fully able bodied and make my own money.

Well, I suppose if I ever go through a bout of severe wasting again, since my medical services are basically covered through Medicare, I'll try to keep my mouth shut.  Would that satisfy you?

Offline pozhealthy

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 09:32:12 pm »
thanks positively me,,,,,you got my point, although i think i started off on the wrong foot and a little harsh in my posting.   i don't feel so alone in my "struggle" now.  i don't know too many people who are HIV pos and still working, so its a bit comforting  (albeit depressing) to  know that their are people in my shoes. And thanks for reminding me that the grass is not always greener on the other side.  :)

thanks to everyone for the posts.   

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 09:38:29 pm »
I don't even know how to answer the things running thru my head right now. Maybe because I'm having one of my typical evening fevers.
The only assistance I receive is county medical services. I do work, but not for a company. I work for an individual so I have no insurance. With under 200 tcells and an AIDS diagnosis for the last 13 years I think I do pretty good.

Pozhealthy didnt say anything to make me upset.

I'll have to reread this thread again tommorrow when I'm more clear minded.

Offline positively_me

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 10:46:58 pm »
Well, I suppose if I ever go through a bout of severe wasting again, since my medical services are basically covered through Medicare, I'll try to keep my mouth shut.  Would that satisfy you?

I don't know what gave you the idea that I think you should keep your mouth shut.  I wasn't saying that people in support groups shouldn't share how they are having a hard time.  That wasn't my point.  My point was that we are all in very different stages of our hiv infections and of our lives.  If I'm not wrong, and correct me if I am pozhealthy, people like pozhealthy and I do not get support (financial/healthcare wise) or understanding from people in and out of the hiv community because we are considered healthy and not long term survivors.   That is very hard for me to take at times because I feel like both positive and non positive people treat me like my infection is no big deal.  I have even had doctors and people in support groups say so to my face. 

I think it is hard for us that weren't dealing with our infections during the time of education and awareness of hiv.  We are treated like someone with diabetes would be treated...i.e. yes you have a chronic illness but you're not going to die from it so you are expected to carry on like nothing is wrong.  There are times when I am so fatigued, nauseated, suffering from diarrhea, thrush or MRSA that it takes everything I have in me to get out of bed and make it through a day at work.  Plus add the strain of mentally and emotionally dealing with hiv.  I would like to have the opportunity to get finanical and healthcare support so that I can take care of myself and my body, but I am too healthy.  And for that I am thankful.  But is hard to have the plague of the 21st century and receive no empathy or sympathy just because I have not rapidly declined healthwise.
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 11:15:06 pm »
I'll trade doctors with ya  ;D

Offline positively_me

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2008, 12:04:14 am »
Oooohhh...can we please trade???

My doctor feels that since I'm undetectable and have good t-cell count/percentage that I don't have to worry about anything hiv related.  Now if I could just stop worrying about being hiv+ I just might be ok!!!   ;)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2008, 12:18:07 am »
pozhealthy and I do not get support (financial/healthcare wise) or understanding from people in and out of the hiv community because we are considered healthy and not long term survivors.   .

If you're not a long-term survivor, why are you posting in the LTS forum?  This is a personal gripe of mine and other LTS's.  People who don't know a thing about what it was like to live back in the scourge of AIDS, coming in here and posting like they've been through what some of us have.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 12:19:39 am by Bettytacy »

Offline positively_me

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2008, 12:37:19 am »
Bettytacy,

Why are you so bitter and nasty?  How long do you have to have been infected to be a long term survivor?  I've been positive for 8 years going on 9...do I qualify as a long term survivor?  As the welcome post mentions below, "At the same time we hope that those who are newer to living with HIV will be able to benefit from the knowledge and experience that will be shared here."  I thought everyone was welcome in this forum?  Just as you have been living and dealing with this disease for a long time and have special needs, so do some of us who don't qualify as long term survivors but aren't just newly diagnosed.  You're right, we don't know what it is like to live with the scourge of AIDS but we know what it is like to live day in and day out with an infection where some people won't touch us, dating is damn near impossible, our families can't understand because we don't look "sick", our health care providers treat us like it is no longer a big deal because "people are living a lot longer now that 20 years ago" and I could go on and on.  Why do you alienate us because we haven't been infected as long as you?  Does that make our problems, struggles, pains any less relevant?  Being nasty to us is almost as bad as all the ignorant people who turned their back on the gay community it the 80's and 90's when hiv/aids was thought of as "gay pneumonia."

It would be nice if you and the others who are LTS'rs could have some compassion and try to understand what is like to live now in the scourge of hiv being just a "chronic illness."  We are all in this s*it together and should act like it instead of trying to institute a "class system" within the hiv community.

Or I suppose when I encounter nasty posts because I'm not a LTS but I have problems too, I'll try to keep my mouth shut.  Would that satisfy you?

This forum is a safe place where those who have been living with HIV for anywhere from several years to decades can come to discuss the issues they confront. Among other things this is where they can talk about their experiences as well as the special challenges they have to deal with physically, emotionally and otherwise that come with having lived with HIV for a lengthy period of time. It is also a space intended for those who maybe more recently infected but are older in years, and therefore have to deal with special issues related to living with HIV at an older age.   

At the same time we hope that those who are newer to living with HIV will be able to benefit from the knowledge and experience that will be shared here. We are not excluding anyone from participating here, but we do ask that you be mindful of the special needs for which this particular Forum has been established. 

Thank you for your cooperation.

For further information on the AIDSmeds forums, including posting guidelines, please visit the Welcome Thread found in the Living with HIV forum.

Enjoy!

Offline hartiepie

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2008, 12:39:49 am »
My doctor feels that since I'm undetectable and have good t-cell count/percentage that I don't have to worry about anything hiv related.  Now if I could just stop worrying about being hiv+ I just might be ok!!!   ;)

Ummmmmmm...... well for starts, if everything is fine for you, then by definition your doc is right: What are you worrying for?

Many of the concerns you listed here about health care costs are what everybody in America without a diagnosis deals with every day too.

Really, the pyschic strain of having no treatments available to stave off HIV regardless of whether I had healthcare or a bazllion dollars is something I never want to have happen again.

I watched my brother die of AIDS when there was nothing to relieve his pains. N-O-T-H-I-N-G no meds or programs. He got his first disability check 3 months after he was dead.

When I was diagnosed 15 years ago, I was told to take a vitamin every day and to not quit my job no matter how sick I got because I would never again get healthcare coverage.

Maybe I am not understanding the problem, but I don't see one.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 12:49:37 am by hartiepie »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2008, 01:04:49 am »
Bettytacy,

Why are you so bitter and nasty?  How long do you have to have been infected to be a long term survivor?  I've been positive for 8 years going on 9...do I qualify as a long term survivor?  As the welcome post mentions below, "At the same time we hope that those who are newer to living with HIV will be able to benefit from the knowledge and experience that will be shared here."  I thought everyone was welcome in this forum?  Just as you have been living and dealing with this disease for a long time and have special needs, so do some of us who don't qualify as long term survivors but aren't just newly diagnosed.  You're right, we don't know what it is like to live with the scourge of AIDS but we know what it is like to live day in and day out with an infection where some people won't touch us, dating is damn near impossible, our families can't understand because we don't look "sick", our health care providers treat us like it is no longer a big deal because "people are living a lot longer now that 20 years ago" and I could go on and on.  Why do you alienate us because we haven't been infected as long as you?  Does that make our problems, struggles, pains any less relevant?  Being nasty to us is almost as bad as all the ignorant people who turned their back on the gay community it the 80's and 90's when hiv/aids was thought of as "gay pneumonia."

It would be nice if you and the others who are LTS'rs could have some compassion and try to understand what is like to live now in the scourge of hiv being just a "chronic illness."  We are all in this s*it together and should act like it instead of trying to institute a "class system" within the hiv community.

Or I suppose when I encounter nasty posts because I'm not a LTS but I have problems too, I'll try to keep my mouth shut.  Would that satisfy you?

This forum is a safe place where those who have been living with HIV for anywhere from several years to decades can come to discuss the issues they confront. Among other things this is where they can talk about their experiences as well as the special challenges they have to deal with physically, emotionally and otherwise that come with having lived with HIV for a lengthy period of time. It is also a space intended for those who maybe more recently infected but are older in years, and therefore have to deal with special issues related to living with HIV at an older age.   

At the same time we hope that those who are newer to living with HIV will be able to benefit from the knowledge and experience that will be shared here. We are not excluding anyone from participating here, but we do ask that you be mindful of the special needs for which this particular Forum has been established. 

Thank you for your cooperation.

For further information on the AIDSmeds forums, including posting guidelines, please visit the Welcome Thread found in the Living with HIV forum.

Enjoy!

As a LTS I would respectfully ask you not to bring this into the LTS forum. If you are having a problem with a member you should hit report to moderator. To suggest that because we are long term survivors we lack compassion is really very hurtful.  I will turn this over to the moderators and let them handle it.

Offline positively_me

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2008, 01:05:50 am »
Ummmmmmm...... well for starts, if everything is fine for you, then by definition your doc is right: What are you worrying for?

I guess I worry about the unknown...I don't react well to the meds.  In fact, I don't react well to any meds.  I'm allergic to 4 types of antibiotics and just started my 4th hiv regmine because the other 3 weren't tolerable.  Do you think I shouldn't worry about being positive because I am healthy now?  I'm not being argumentative...just trying to understand your statement and get a different perspective.Really, the pyschic strain of having no treatments available to stave off HIV regardless of whether I had healthcare or a bazllion dollars is something I never want to have happen again.

I watched my brother die of AIDS when there was nothing to relieve his pains. N-O-T-H-I-N-G no meds or programs. He got his first disability check 3 months after he was dead.

I am sorry for your brother's pain and for your loss.  Getting a disability check 3 months after dying...I can't even respond to that because I don't understand how the government agencies can let someone suffer.

Maybe I am not understanding the problem, but I don't see one.

The problem is that I'm hiv+!  I guess long term survivors don't see it as a problem for someone like me, but it is.  It has changed my whole life.

Offline positively_me

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2008, 01:16:33 am »
Ok...I will keep my thoughts to myself and not post here.  I was not saying that all long term survivors lack compassion, only responding to the ones that bettytacy mentioned don't like my type posting in this forum.  I don't understand why it is ok for someone that is a long term survivor to be nasty to me, but I can't respond to them.  Being a long term survivor does not give you the right to have poor manners...no matter what disease we have. 

Can you please suggest to the moderators that they set up a "I didn't just test poz but I'm not a long term survivor" area?  Because I think that's where I belong.

It worries me that as hiv+ we don't treat each other with respect to express our feelings and frustrations.  It's like saying that a long term survivor's infection is worse than a person that was just infected.  To me that's sad... 

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2008, 01:31:12 am »
Can you please suggest to the moderators that they set up a "I didn't just test poz but I'm not a long term survivor" area?  Because I think that's where I belong.

Darling it's called Living With and you're more than welcome to post anything you want there. If you look around you'll see more than one specific need forum. A forum for Positive Women only, I Just Tested Poz, Am I Infected, etc. I'm a man so I respect the wishes of the women and don't post in their forum. That doesn't mean I think they lack compassion or their AIDS is better than my AIDS. It's the same for those of us that use the LTS forum. And anyway do you really want to discuss why you have hair growing out of your ears, or what is the best type of denture cream? ;D

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2008, 02:23:33 am »

We had just been through this within the past week. From the Welcome thread....

This forum is a safe place where those who have been living with HIV for anywhere from several years to decades can come to discuss the issues they confront.

We need to define what "several" years is.

Thanks ----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2008, 02:30:00 am »

This is the comment I made ( for what it's worth, on April 11th :

Just some fast thoughts. I personally don't believe the forums are "unsafe". I am certainly hesitant at times to post, when I see new names. I think what bothers me the most, is that there are so many people that lurk in the background here. I often wondered, if people shouldn't be required to log in, at all times, even to read the forums. I am sure others will disagree with me on that. It just seems to me, that if we want to help end Stigma and fear, lets get these 140 or more people, that always seem to be watching the forums to "LOG" in . If people really want information, why shouldn't they log in for that information.

As far as the LTS forum. In the welcome thread it states the following : "This forum is a safe place where those who have been living with HIV for anywhere from several years to decades can come to discuss the issues they confront."

To me, a several years means 3 or more years. Perhaps LTS needs to be redefined. Personally, myself I would consider 10 year plus a long term survivor. Once again, that's just my thoughts.

It also states the following :

"It is also a space intended for those who maybe more recently infected but are older in years, and therefore have to deal with special issues related to living with HIV at an older age."

I believe that needs to be kept in place, for those that are 45 plus years of age or older. There are certainly age related issues to take into consideration along with HIV, even in the newly diagnosed but older folks.

As far as the newer people reading the LTS forums. I don't have a problem with that. If these people have a particular question or comment as to some topic matter that was brought up in the LTS forum, I wouldn't have a problem with those people asking about it in the "living with HIV" forum. If people want to answer there concerns

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2008, 02:46:36 am »

It worries me that as hiv+ we don't treat each other with respect to express our feelings and frustrations. 

You can express your feelings and frustrations in, as Dash suggested, the 'Living with" forum, you will be more than welcome there.

It's like saying that a long term survivor's infection is worse than a person that was just infected.

(so far you are the only one who is saying that), many of our members in this forum have been struggling for 20+ years with things that hopefully you will never have to, they deserve your respect and they deserve a place to call their own.. please refrain from posting here until I can discuss things that I'm not sure about with the Admin staff.. if you do come back  then you will show respect and you will not call anyone out in this forum...but my advise would be for you to stay and post in the "Living with" forum plus all the other forums of course.

Jan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2008, 12:07:16 pm »
Now that I'm clear minded I can see why I was so aggravated. Some of the statements or comments I read where completely ridiculous.

I'm just going to leave it alone. But I am still very annoyed right now. 

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2008, 04:13:31 pm »
Just like the meds can affect each and everyone of us differently, we are all affected differently with what we have to do in order to live with HIV.
When I was working I used to get very frustrated because I had to juggle trying to take meds while at work and deal with the side affects, make doctors appointments and lab appointments around my work schedule and hope to God no one I knew would be at the lab or the office or the pharmacy when I picked up my meds.  I was lucky enough to work in a company that basically ran 24 hrs so I could switch my schedule around if I felt I needed to get to a support group, that was always held during the day.  On the labs days I would have to remind myself to wear a long sleeve shirt so no one would see my bandage.  Lets be honest, some people suck at taking blood and we can come out looking like pin cushions.  After getting paid and paying bills I had barely enough for food and didn't qualify for the food bank, if there was even one back then, I am pretty sure you had to be homeless.  No one understood why I was always running to the bathroom or never did anything after work because I was so exhausted.
Now that I am not working and living on disability, I am lucky enough to live in a state that if you are positive you automatically get on the state health insurance.  I still have a co-pay but it is not much. I sometimes don't qualify for stuff because I do have a work history. I have yet to meet anyone in person that I have much in common with.  I recently went to a local CAB meeting and the "consumers" were concerned about when they do go to meetings there should be drinks and food available, if they were going to get a stipend or money for child care, which would be fine if they had kids and actually participated in the meeting.
There are always going to be people who know how to work the system, have no problem lying to get what they want and ask over and over again for free handouts, that is what they consider work.
Just like when you work, most likely, there are some people who can multi-task and enjoy helping others and then the ones that say"that is not in my job description"- if I had a dollar for everytime I heard that I would be a rich women.
In the end, we all have to do what we can to survive and even though we are all positive, we could not live a day in someone elses shoes.
Just my 2 cents  ;D
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2008, 07:17:26 pm »
even though we are all positive, we could not live a day in someone elses shoes.
Just my 2 cents  ;D

Nor should we try to.  I can say though, that I was single mother and worked; I'm on disability now, and have more struggles than I did when working full-time with insurance.

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2008, 07:32:29 pm »
I can say though, that I was single mother and worked; I'm on disability now, and have more struggles than I did when working full-time with insurance.
Me too, Betty.  I feel like I have more going on now then when I was in management and working full time and taking care of my son. Hence, the mood I have been in lately  ;D

Offline rondrond

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2008, 10:55:38 pm »
I am going to take a deep breath and plunge in here, I am unsure, but this is what I think. We've been betrayed by events we couldn't control and are presented with the daunting challenge of trying to recreate normalcy. We are expected to live and behave like a normal citizen, despite a series of unfortunate incidents." It is not an easy thing to do, recreating normalcy when you've been hit, and 'someone's sunk my battleship', but it is expected of us. "Who's expecting us to do all this?" The State, social workers, doctors, Social Security, Mom, sister, children. If we went around moaning, and groaning and not wanting to do anything because we are in pain, how many times would anyone visit, and how many times has anyone come over in the past and then found that it was 'time to go', without giving a thought to everything we did to make the house and ourselves presentable so everyone would be comfortable?" The almost ridiculous attention to the basics of life, and the myriad arrangements we must make in order to do ordinary things. We want to be normal. We want to be like others that take walking and talking and eating and toileting and swallowing and thinking for granted. We want to be well. Up until a month ago, all I did for 6 months was lie on my back with my leg elevated. And then, normalcy changed to current circumstances. I couldn't work. I have no insurance. I have a dependent. I need to pay the mortgage and buy food. My health is deteriorating. My savings account is running out. My retirement account will be next and then what? And then it hit me. My biggest problem to my health and life..is me. I have a chip on my shoulder.  I feel that I have to do everything on my own, and do it the way that my Mother, Grandfather and all past role models have done it. But, I can't do it. I am ill, and I need help. And I have found that going to the AOC and asking, and swallowing my pride and accepting the help offered, has released me from the strain of groping through the fog on my own. I am going through changes, which I wish would occur gradually, so I could assimilate them easier into my life, but unfortunately, I am to have the clarity of catastrophe. (Do this, now, or you're going to die) ..sigh...

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline pozhealthy

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2008, 11:50:58 pm »
Wow!  My original post really opened up a lot of dialogue, which is great. Apparently this is an issue that needs to be discussed. I have been poz since 1991 while in dental school and was essentially kicked out my second year. Still expected to pay back the student loans I borrowed. The am out has grown to over $100,000 that I cannot possibly pay back ever. I work 20 hours of over time every week. I lost my apartment and job and had to move back in with my parents. Got a new job. Still not saving money because my dad lost his job and has his own health concerns. So now I am paying part of my parent mortgage. I used to walk to work, now i spend 300-400 dollars a month just on gas.  My student loans are $700 per month, I am supposed to be paying more but if i did i would not be able to buy food. Remember I am not a dentist.  My student loans were turned over to , well just guess...............The US Dept of Justice......um don't they have terrorists to catch?    My $700 does not even cover the interest so the am out i owe actually goes up each month. I will never be able to pay off this loan. The copay for my HIV meds are $100 each so it $400 just for HIV meds, and another $300 for non HIV meds I spend about $400 per month on car stuff, oil changes, repairs,maintenance and stuff. I don't go on vacations or trips. I cancelled my gym member ship. I buy clothes at the salvation army.   I live a very frugal life.  I am not sure how to pay for things as it goes up and up
If i don't pay my student loan they take away my professional licence am a respiratory therapist thank god so at least I make sorta decent money.  i work in a hospital and the hospital gets federal money in the form of medicaide and that medicaide money pays my paycheck the government con sideres that double dipping and i am excluded from getting any of that money,   I don't get paid and they take away my licence/
]Nice huh? I at a point of do i pay for food or meds or my student loans......what would you do?
I have called and begged and pleaded and cried and told them that they could have full access to my bank accounts and medical records.
i just want the interest to stop accruing and maybe have a small reduction of the total amout i owe to go away,
I cannot afford a lawyer so I am hoping someone might have a suggestions on who I should talk to

Offline rondrond

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2008, 12:37:27 am »
I wish I had an answer for you. All I can offer is our experience with student loans.  After my brother-in-law died, I took my sister and three nephews in. The 'boys' have now moved on with their lives. One went to Devry. In order to get into Devry, my sister, being his mother, was asked to cosign his student loan. In spite of her telling them that she was on SSI and only had a minimal amount of money and had no way to pay this loan, Parent Plus Loan, kept insisting that her signature was just a formality, and that they would never expect her to pay it. After 3 years, he decided he was through with it and left Devry. Then we started recieveng the 'call to pay'...it took seven years of her calling and having the payments deferred and explaining that she was totally disabled and on SSI....it had accumulated $7000.00 in interest and growing and finally her doctor wrote a disability letter that satisfied them and it was dismissed.
 I realize that you are not classified as disabled and are working which is why they are hounding you, and I feel for you because if I had not had my own business when I got injured (along with a savings account and a retirement account to live on this past year) I wouldn't have any money right now,  as I have filed for disability, but it has been deinied twice, and now I am supposed to go before a judge in the foggy future.

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline hartiepie

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2008, 08:36:23 am »
Yikes, Pozhealthy!  Get a lawyer right now!  You say you cannot afford one (and I understand what you mean) but you are accruing debt at a rate that is at least equal to what getting an attorney might cost.

While I am not an attorney, I am sure there are pieces of your story that can be addressed legally and that is what their expertise is for.

When I was a case manager, I worked with people who had similar situations as you are describing, and resolution was possible. Remain grounded, however, and remember that the answer may not be the rosiest, but the relief of moving on will be significant.

You do not have to live in a Kafka story!

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2008, 08:49:34 am »
I know pozhealthy lives in Pennsylvania so you may wish to contact this organization:

AIDS Law Project of Pennsylvania
1211 Chestnut Street, Suite 600, Philadelphia, PA 19107
215-587-9377

www.aidslawpa.org

"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline pozhealthy

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2008, 10:17:14 am »
The AIDS Law Project has strung me along for 2 years and done nothing to help me. I spoke with a lawyer there a few times then was transferred from one paralegal to the next.  I filled out tons of paperwork and gave them access to my medical records. Phone calls were not returned and emails not answered. They have been a HUGE disappointment. I realize they have very limited resources. But they did not even offer advise on how to proceed. Adversarial hearing? I am so frustrated. If any place could have offered me help I would have thought it would have been there. 

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2008, 10:37:13 am »
Pozhealthy-
What about bankruptcy?  Would that be an option, I am not sure if student loans can be included in those, but it would be worth it to find out.  Sounds like you are stuck behind a rock and a hard place and this is going to take a toll on your health.  Talking to a lawyer definately sounds like the way to go, they might be able to give you an option. 
Good  Luck!
Snow

Offline pozhealthy

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2008, 11:01:13 am »
one cannot include student loans in bankruptcy,  My hope for the last 2 years has been for some help from the law project. Keep in mind that prior to this I have been writing letters making phone calls and had a meeting with the US Dept of Justice and followed advice that they told me to do which was wrong. My last shot has been the law project. My wages have been garnished. I have had to jump from job to job because the medical costs got too high and i had to scramble around trying to find a job that had benefits that i could afford. The financial stress has been almost worse that having HIV.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2008, 11:18:08 am »
Wow, PH, now that you've given us more details, your initial post in this thread makes a lot more sense. You sound like you're at the end of your tether and I don't blame you.

Do you have any other large bills that might be taken care of with bankruptcy, leaving you with a little more money to deal with the student loans?

Were you kicked out of dental school because of hiv? If so, maybe this might be a way to pass responsibility on to the school on the basis of discrimination.

I wish I could be of more assistance. It sounds like a living hell and you have my empathy.

Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2008, 11:29:29 am »
Poz, would you possibly qualify for disability somehow?  If you did, you could have those awful student loans forgiven.  I second what Ann said also about you being kicked out of dental school on the basis of you having HIV.  It seems there would be some recourse legally.

Offline pozhealthy

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2008, 11:38:58 am »
past that statue of limitations to sue.  I really never thought i was gonna be around this long to have to worry about this.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2008, 09:14:49 pm »
That is very hard for me to take at times because I feel like both positive and non positive people treat me like my infection is no big deal.  I have even had doctors and people in support groups say so to my face. 

In regards to the whole "LTS vs. Non-LTS" issue, I'd just like to bring up one thing that maybe some of the more recently infected don't realize --   We receive no special treatment because we are Long-Term Survivors, or at least I don't.   I have no priority at my hiv clinic, I am just a number on a piece of paper.   It certainly doesn't give us a "free pass" at anything; in fact, I often find the opposite is true.   I will have a first-time visit with some sort of specialist (for instance, a gastroenterologist) and he seemed to totally discount my complaints and comments that perhaps a lot of my issues were due to advanced hiv disease, and almost 20 yrs worth of toxic meds.

It's true, some of us were granted SSDI on the "first try" back in the day.....but I would gladly switch places with someone who is able to work full-time, at a REAL job with REAL benefits.

My biggest fear now is that I will die of AIDS, NOT because there are not drugs available but because I cannot AFFORD the drugs, or that "the system" will no longer provide them for me.

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2008, 09:41:45 pm »
I second what Alan says.  I've never received red-carpet treatment because of having HIV/AIDS for so many years.  And the way things go with changes continually ongoing in the Medicare Part D plans (no one can ever totally figure them out), Medicaid, ADAP, Ryan White, who knows how long us LTS's will be able to keep up our meds.  I also worry about developing resistance to most drugs available.  Of course, I know there are always drugs in the pipeline, but who knows how long our "insurance" will keep covering them. 

I also, Alan, would love to have a full-time job with insurance again.  I'll tell you though, once one's totally dependent on the system, there seems no way out.  Those that have full-time jobs with insurance, consider it a blessing.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2008, 10:50:51 pm »
So true, Betty.....so true.   When I was young, I did not understand what people meant by being "trapped in the system".   Now that I am the "trappee"
I get it 100%.   

Medicare Part D scares me to death;  I will never get out of the donut hole, so I shudder to think what I'll do if I need something that is non-generic....

>:(
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2008, 11:52:34 am »
While I haven't been one of the trapped as yet, I see what it is doing to others on a daily basis.

Now, with this tiered prescription coverage, I wonder what in the world will become of people needing expensive meds?

I know one person whose private insurance (from his employer) just switched to this type of plan. He pays $422 a month for his Atripla.

What will people receiving less than $1,000 a month to live on do with those types of copays? My understanding is this is one of the ways they "fixed" Part D.

I am worried, angry and frustrated all at the same time.

Can we dump the whole bunch in Washington and start from scatch?

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.