Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:59:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 338
Total: 341

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hot Hot Hot  (Read 10194 times)

Offline cmhjeff

Hot Hot Hot
« on: July 17, 2006, 08:47:31 am »
And I'm not talking about my UPS delivery man this time ;D  Many of us in the states from the west coast to east coast are experiencing a heat wave and I hope everyone is safe and keeping cool.  I woke up an hour early today so I could go outside and pull weeds and deadhead the flowers before starting my normal routine beginning with breakfast and my meds.   Sunday to beat the heat we went to the movies to see Superman.  I enjoyed the movie and would recommend it to super hero fans. 

If you find yourself outside in the heat and humidity of the day remember to take plenty of breaks and drink lots of water!

Take Care
Hugs

Jeff

Offline bluelove

Re: Hot Hot Hot
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 09:25:25 am »
Well it is hot,hot ,hot out there.

I love the weather just not my uniform that is dark coloured. But hey it is the perfect excuse to eat ice cream so l am happy.

Please do take it easy out there and if you do feel the heat please do go inside and cool off.

And if anyone is having a pool party let me know l am coming over after work!

Offline Teresa

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 10:05:04 am »
It was 105 here yesterday and suppose to be the same here today. Im keeping my butt in the house where its cool.

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 11:40:16 am »
Another day of over 100 degrees here....

I dread seeing my power bill !   :'(  :'(
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 12:01:59 pm »
I haven't left the house in like three days.

I am afraid.

Right now, thankfully it is only 88. The past few days have been hovering over 101, 102, with humidity making it feel like a hell of a lot hotter. And heat makes me sleepy, so I've been napping pretty much all day long. I feel so lazy. I put in a bowl of water for my rats to play in to keep cool, but they've been snoozing mostly, too. Morgan grabbed a whole clump of bedding and stuffed up the entrance to his little plastic igloo house to keep it shady and cool.

We are sleepy and hot.  :-\

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 01:12:01 pm »
here in the uk (where the weather is our favourite subject) the thermometer hit 33 C today(about 92 F i think?) ... and tomorrow will be hotter...

and when you add in the fact that homes, and most public places more than 5-10 years old don't have the wonderful invention called air conditioning..well, it gets a bit uncomfortable.

drink lots - water and juice, hats, tshirts, sunblock..

Kate "no you may not borrow my tower fan"  8)

Offline Stang5_0

• Stang's Garage
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 01:32:12 pm »
Well nothing beats the wonderful weather here in Phoenix.  115+ at the start of the weekend, gotta love it...
I'm all for a pool party but no play until my chores are done.  We are in the process of painting, almost done though.  A painting party in exchange for a pool party and BBQ?

Been taking pool breaks during the painting though.  It's just too damn hot not to, but at least the roof is done.  Well almost.  Just need to finish the ridge but I am not sure how to do that yet.  I want to get the siding finished though so when and if it ever rains again, my siding won't get ruined.
Stang5_0

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 02:53:09 pm »
97 degrees at 9 thousand feet?  Unheard of!

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 03:34:00 pm »
I think we should never had polluted the earth. Bad bad idea.

This afternoon in Ottawa Canada it feels like 43°C (109.4°F). Mind you this has been going on for days now.

Fortunately, I got myself a 9000 BTU air conditioner this year. Even so, it's just comfortable in my apartment.

*drip drip*

Daniel
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 03:36:08 pm by DanielMark »
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Basquo

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 06:04:27 pm »
100 here in Austin...and the damn pool is messed up and the water is WARM, ugh!  I didn't even get in.  I'll hose down in a while when I water what's left of the garden :-\

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 06:52:39 am »
It was 90-something Sunday and I went to the gay bar for the first time in over a year to play volleyball. After six games I was a puddle of perspiration! It is suppose to be 97 today.

Going to the gay bar made me realize that other then my partner (who won't call himself gay) I have one gay friend, and he lives on the other side of the country. When I was younger most of my friends were gay and now I hang out with straight people at restaurants where their kids eat free. How did I get assimilated into the suburban collective? Maybe it's my midlife crisis talking but I have this urge to paint the town with a pack of drag queens. Then again, given I've been poz for 13 years, I thought my midlife was suppose to have been over by now!

Offline Nadine

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 07:01:37 am »
We had some bad storms roll through southeast Michigan lastnight...today it will only be 88! I hope the rest of the country will be seeing some relief too.

This girl does not like to sweat! :D (well, not from being outside anyways  ;))

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 07:49:08 am »
Daniel, Canada is "north" to me, which I equate with "cooler." So I don't want to hear anytihing about it being over a 100 degrees up there.

Please adjust the thermostat immediately so that when we're up your way in a few weeks we need to wear jackets in the evening and can turn to each other and say, "Kinda cool, huh."

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 11:36:11 am »
Well, according to my trusty bank thermometer, it was 111 F here yesterday. I think they were wrong. Didn't feel a bit over 105 F.

It's supposed to be cooler here today, only 98. Unfortunately, the monsoonal flow has begun. It is unfortunate because it hasn't rained, just gotten cloudy, lots of thunder and lightning, and HUMIDITY! The humidity topped 40 percent yesterday. UGH!

I have a swamp cooler. For the uninitiated, water flows over pads through which air is sucked and then blown into the house to coot it. Works great when its dry. Not now. My house was 85 degrees at midnight.

I may have to break down and buy an air conditioner. Look out electric bill.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Stang5_0

• Stang's Garage
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 03:33:55 pm »
Our swamper is sleeping.  Put it to bed in late May as I recall and will not wake it till after the monsoons.
The pool makes it nice though.
Stang5_0

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2006, 06:38:57 pm »
Southeast Arizona, 4300feet altitude, 3:35pm, 24%humidity, and 93 degrees F.  The pool is 97 degrees and it is a "Wally world donut" type, so cooling it off is not an option.  Swamp coolers been off since July 4th, when the Monsoons started.  Mark, we are going to be sending you some real moisture one of these days, but don't look for it tomorrow.  Our storms today are sparse at best.

Having a good day, and yesterday was a high of 95degrees F.

In Love and coooooooooooool.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2006, 06:45:08 pm »
Yay, it rained and cooled off a bit. It's been around 88 the past couple days, but humidity is at 46%.

I went for a walk to the park with my rat today to read a book and could only stay like a half hour or so because it was too humid and hot even in the shade.
:( Meh.

Offline Teresa

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2006, 07:22:09 pm »
Its 108 here...this woman stays in the airconditioning.
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Stang5_0

• Stang's Garage
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2006, 07:35:22 pm »
I keep saying to folks that a few months a year is worth the great weather the rest of the year.  But man is this getting old.  While our pool is not 97, we did bring it from 91 to 89 with the addition of more water over the weekend however it dilluted out chlorine so had to add a couple gallons.
You just can't win. 
I have lived in my home for 13 years or so and remember being pounded by monsoon storms.  Anymore it seems, they just make their way around us.  Sure, we can see the wonderful lightning off in the distance, but I do miss the storms.  I would have to blame all the growth here in Phoenix for that.
Stang5_0

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2006, 02:10:16 pm »
11:10am.
92 degrees F
30% humidity
30.09 barometric pressure

All in all, not a bad morning for living in a desert.

Hope you all are keeping cool.

In Love.
Lynn Lavne

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2006, 07:33:16 pm »
OK...WEATHER REPORT...WESTERN SLOPE OF THE SIERRA NEVADA RANGE...Elevation 2,300'

106 DEGREES!!
What was that line from the Wizard of Oz.....? Oh, yeah,

[size=18I'M MELTING!!pt][/size]

More of the same in store for the next 3 days. Gee whiz!

Thankful for swamp coolers, oh yes I am ;D

Zephie
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2006, 07:49:13 pm »
AHH, NOW, THIS IS MUCH BETTER....

[attachment deleted by admin]
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2006, 08:12:34 pm »
This heat is really taking a toll on me....my car NEVER gets cool.....damn those Mitsubishi people.   My big Buick had an a/c on it that would put frost on the vents...

When I was a little boy, we had NO a/c.   Then, in about the 7th grade, we got a window unit for the bedroom (upstairs)....my parents never had an air conditioned home.   Now, that is #1 on my priority list...and I guarantee you it will be the next car I buy (wishful thinking there).   Question is, how did we stand it?   Was it cooler then?  Somewhat.....but still it was hot in the South.
I suppose it is all in what you get used to.

Hope everyone is staying COOL

Chilly hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Cliff

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2006, 08:29:59 pm »
It's been extremely hot in Paris, (if my conversion was done correctly), it's been about 100 degrees for a couple of days.  The building where we are working has no A/C.  It sucks, big time.  The company still expects guys to wear suits (or at least a tie).  A bunch of us are working in one conference room and usually by lunchtime, the room starts to smell (big time).  The whole floor smells of BO.   >:(  They have a bunch of fans, but all that does is blow hot, smelly air in your face.  I don't think it's very professional to have an office building smelling of BO.  But the company doesn't seem to mind.  I asked one of the workers why don't they go on strike for A/C, (since people in France seem to go on strike all the time).  But they actually don't like A/C.  Most of the folks I talk to say they can't stand A/C (it makes them sick or it's too cold and doesn't feel natural).  I guess growing up with A/C, you end up getting spoiled.  Americans have very low thresholds for heat, probably why we get pissed at the fact that they don't put ice in our drinks.  I hate drinking luke-warm coke (especially when it's 100 degrees outside and 110 degrees inside).   >:( 

By the end of the day, you go home disgusted (and disgusting).  You have to take a shower just to go back out for dinner and drinks.  And then take another shower when you get back, cause you're already sweaty again, (since most public places don't have AC).

Thank god the hotel has a decent A/C system.  I just can't imagine trying to sleep in such extreme temperatures.  I'd quit.

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2006, 09:16:22 pm »
Eww Cliff,   >:(

The French are the biggest producers/distributors of perfumes and cologne but they are the one’s that use deodorant the least. Yuk! I once had a boss that was from France, well let’s not go there.   >:(

I don’t want to burst anyone's bubble but it’s been great here on the Russian River. I think we’re in the 80’s today. On the news they keep reporting about a three digits heat wave hitting the bay area but Hell if I know where they’re talking about.

Terry

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 09:22:48 pm by Terry »

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2006, 09:26:29 pm »
Jeff,

Are those words under your avatar from West Side Story?

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2006, 03:52:28 pm »
Me and my big mouth. It’s already 94* here today and will be in the 100’s by Sunday.   :'(

I don’t like the heat or air-conditioning. So off to the pool at Triple-R.   ::)

Terry

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2006, 06:21:10 pm »
Screw you Terry! you would have to put that picture of Cazadero Beach up for us to lick.

Now I know how to spot an "A"- hole.   LRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRL  (a digital rasberry)

OK, poke me with a fork, I'm done.
Lynn Lavne

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2006, 07:59:28 pm »
Hello Kiddies! It's in the very high 90's here in Albuquerque, and the humidity has been really high as well. Working outside in this weather keeps me reminded that I guess that I'm a lot tougher than I realize. I don't need air conditioning though, as just being out of the sun is enough for me. Anyway, everyone try to stay cool and be careful out there. And remember kiddies, our Illustrious Grand Exalted Leader, Mr. Bush, swears up and down that Global warming is a myth, which means it must be true.
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2006, 11:36:25 pm »

This sucks!   >:(

Current Temp:  101 @ 8:33 p.m. PDT  (Today's high?  I was too sweaty to watch the news!   :P)

Tomorrows forecast:

High:  104°F  Low:  66°F 
National Weather Service:
Night:  Mostly clear early...then partly cloudy. Lows 60 to 65. North wind 5 to 10 mph.
Day:  Mostly sunny. Highs around 100. North wind 5 to 15 mph.

RAB

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.