Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:15:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 352
Total: 353

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Help... I just got my result...  (Read 60062 times)

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
Re: Help... I just got my result...
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2008, 04:25:56 pm »
Hey PB

Sorry you are having such a hard time waiting for the results.  I think what you are hearing from all of us is that we think you would be better off if you didn't spend quite so much time worrying and instead spent time in other worthy activities like:

planning (hot puppy)
talking to folks in person (Philly)
counselling (Rapidrod)
walking (me)
studying up on the first year (Next)
etc ...

But hey -- sometimes none of us feel up to doing worthy projects and just need to laugh a little.  This site has resources there too -- in the Off topic forum.  So if you feel like whiling away the time check out a few of these:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=21288.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=23072.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=21805.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=15995.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=13827.0

and then there's always that all-time-most-favorite thread on AIDSMEDS (hint see p. 9 or 10)

IF you wind up poz, there will be a quiz  ;D

5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2008, 05:56:20 pm »
I still suggest getting busy with things that have NOTHING to do with hiv.

Like your homework. Or...
Research low-fat nutritious recipes on the internet.
Cooking a low-fat, nutritious meal.
Clean the house.
Do the laundry.
Do some gardening.
Don't have a garden? Do some gardening for an elderly neighbour.
There are TONS of things you can do to take your mind off this until you get those results.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2008, 06:26:52 pm »
I need help with the shearing and lambing, I have two bottle feeders on the go at the moment..trust me by the time you have finished with that, you will be too exhausted to thing of ANYTHING... ;D

Hugs
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline prayerblue

« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2008, 06:40:30 pm »
Ah, see I was always hoping to get a response from anniebc/Jan, you seemed to be the really awesome happy type I wish I could be, from wherever I saw responses you left. Heck, I always assumed you were negative and just here to help, cause I used to wrongly assume all the POZ staff were infectees...

Were it that I could shear and lamb (what is lambing?) just to have interaction and something constructive to do, I would gladly do so. I'm in a rut because I can't tell my mom or family in general, at least for a while, and I've no friends to speak of right now, having just started school... The mom thing is hardest, cause I know she needs to be happy and her life isn't strawberries and cream right now but she's the closest person to me in the whole world and I think it would kill her...

So, yeah, I've been glad for some of the ladies' responses, being either gentler or maternal in prose, because it reminds me of the bond I share with my mom... at least until she finds out I got infected (if that is the case.) I'm sorry, I'm a twentysomething with mommy attachment issues and loneliness... I guess I come here too much, but I've little else to go to keep some social interaction and I'm desperately afraid of being alone. Please don't see me as some kind of attention-whore or melodramatic loser... I'm just realizing I screwed my whole life up being shy and reserved toward people and never got the "making friends" down that well.

Hell.. to call a spade a spade... I'm envious of the ladies' forum, because I was always closest to women and how they share such close bonds... I miss that. I've always been the guy who was not into sports or beer or chicks or cars, and had his best friends as girls... too bad it isolates me in a few ways I didn't see coming.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 06:43:25 pm by prayerblue »

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2008, 07:57:33 pm »
I have been positive for 6 years, I have gone from being a nursing sister of 27 years to a farmer and loving every minute of it..as evryone here has told you life goes on and you can still achieve your dreams..I did.

BTW..when I say lambing it means my spring lambs have started to arrive and keeping us busy...it doesn't take much to keep yourself busy, some of the things Ann suggested are a good idea...there really is no point in stressing yourself out at this point.

Hugs
Jan

Offline prayerblue

« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2008, 08:00:20 pm »
Thanks, Jan.

I want to live out my dreams and life... I just hope that still the results have the chance to have been wrong, but I guess come what may this isn't the end of me at all.

Offline prayerblue

« Reply #106 on: September 25, 2008, 08:15:45 pm »
Everyone, thanks for all your responses.

Tomorrow is the big day... and I'm sitting here watching ABC shows and trying to be happy, in hopes that I get great news tomorrow.

So I've a request for all (if anyone) reading this:

If you pray, please pray for the result that is meant to happen. While I hope it's negative, of course I'm aware of the logical accuracy of the last test. However, miracles happen...

And if you pray, please... pray for me to find the strength to move forward either way. And I hope some of you all will be around tomorrow about this time... I may definitely need some comfort, or maybe some jubilee.

And if you don't pray, please all who have any mind to, send some good vibes... good wishes, and just know I'm not gonna be such a pest anymore.

Thanks to all of you, and God bless you all...

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2008, 08:32:24 pm »
Prayer, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. 

Also, just a request.  Unless your test actually turns out to be positive, could you please refrain from posting in the "Living With HIV" section.  I found your post to Matt (Newt) to be very contrite. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline prayerblue

« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2008, 08:33:54 pm »
Understood... boy, I just can't get anything right...

Offline prayerblue

« Reply #109 on: September 26, 2008, 10:37:24 am »
Well, they said to come on in... which I dunno what that means, since some people on here said they got result by phone either way.

I'm at this last desperate moment before... I go in at 3 my time, so by 4 I'll know... Sorry to repost where it is unwelcome about something I've beat to death a million times. I just cannot help but be more scared than ever in my life...

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2008, 11:25:07 am »
PB

You might want to think about asking someone to go the clinic with you. Or perhaps lining up some friends you can commiserate with tonight?

Good luck this afternoon.  Whatever the result, remember that you have an opportunity for a productive (and long) life ahead of you -- if you grab the opportunities you have.

Assurbanipal
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline prayerblue

Let the confusion begin...
« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2008, 08:48:45 pm »
Let's go back a step. The planned parenthood clinic gave me a rapid test that showed positive/reactive last week, and then drew some test tubes of blood to send off. The clinician there said that my throat looked real bad and red and white patches, and that the weight loss made sense to her as a symptom.

Still, she said "we're going to send this off for a western blot to confirm. Check back next Friday."

Fast forward to today, the aforementioned Friday...

I walk in, the lady sighs and takes me to the back office with three papers in hand. We begin to talk, and she says "your EIA was nonreactive."

WTF? But the rapid was reactive, I say. "Well, this is a rare event, but we get it a lot here..." So, um, thanks, that makes me wonder why that is... but then she goes onto say "I've only seen one come back confirmed since I've been here." So are they using a bad lab, or just their uni-golds suck total ass?

She hands me a letter from the lab, which further says "a non-reactive HIV 1/2 antibody result does not exclude HIV infection since the time frame for seroconversion is variable. If acute HIV infection is suspected, antibody retesting and nucleic acid amplification (HIV DNA/RNA) testing is recommended."

So she says "come back in six months, we'll see what happens." Does she expect it to change? She says no but can't promise, of course... but this is nonsensical. Nowhere have I seen males test false positives on blood tests, just on oral fluid... so guys, what's the deal? Am I voted off the island back into the Am I? or someone I love is infected forums? Or is this a hiatus until the retest? Does anyone think it'll be positive?

Thanks for all the good wishes and messages, guys. Especially Ann... your note made me cry in a good way. And I know either way, I've made some good friends like Jenny, and still hope to make more.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2008, 08:54:07 pm »
You don't need to be on any forum at all. You have a confirmed negative via the Western Blot which trumps a positive test of any antibody test. Get on with your life.

Offline prayerblue

« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2008, 08:56:49 pm »
 I'm dating someone who is +, though, and no one has said yet that I'm out of the woods completely... It was an ELISA, not a WB... she said no WB unless the ELISA is positive...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 09:13:18 pm by prayerblue »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2008, 09:00:12 pm »
Then you have the "Someone I Care About Has HIV."

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2008, 09:29:44 pm »
Prayer

Now you have your result, the only forum you can post in now is  the "Someone I care about" as Rod has suggested...please stay within the rules, thanks for your cooperation.

Hugs
Jan

Offline HopeandCope

• Hope and Cope
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2008, 09:39:41 pm »
Look Prayer....  Having a partner that is POZ is very important as well.  Do what I do, I talk to my counselor about my worries about my son and his girlfriend and dump all my anxiety on the therapist.  It really helps!! 

I think what other posters are trying to say to you is that many tests come back false positive. It does not mean that you are HIV+.   By swirling around with repeated questions can only frustrate you in long run not to mention posters that are really trying to help you.

You need to concentrate on what your partner needs in line of support and seek counseling for yourself as well.  You have said that you are confused and lonely but think about your partner and his needs.  It helps to concentrate on others, get involved and you will find that your fears start to abate.

Your partner needs you to be strong so you need to start absorbing all the education you can and that means to read and listen....

Hug your partner, wear a condom but don't forget that the human touch heals the most.

Jude

Jude
Hope and Cope Support Site
A Safe Place for Families & Friends of HIV+ People
http://hopeandcope.blogspot.com/

Offline tag_man08

• Keep Dreaming!!!
« Reply #117 on: September 27, 2008, 12:19:58 am »
Beautifully spoke Jude.  Good luck prayer.  I am happy your story has a happy ending for you.  Remember these last 7 days and use them to educate others that still have no clue about HIV and the many issues you had to face while going through the testing process.  Don't get upset with the system....false positive tests do happen....but they are very rare.   You are someone special.  Continue to follow your dreams in college and know you can make it.
08/30/07:  The HIV diagnosis...
09/07/07:  CD4 299 (21%)  VL 160K
01/07/08:  CD4 396 (26%)  VL 125K
04/21/08:  CD4 478 (25%)  VL 92K
09/03/08:  CD4 313 (23%)  VL 10K
11/03/08:  CD4 338 (23%)  VL 30K
11/21/08:  Isentress & Truvada
12/05/08:  CD4 485 (29%)  VL  undetectable in two weeks
03/13/09:  CD4 575 (30%)  VL  undetectable

Offline prayerblue

« Reply #118 on: September 27, 2008, 12:41:43 am »
So, I guess to sum it up... Ann was right all along (back in my Am I? post, her comment "My gut feeling (and my guts are famous) is that you're going to be just fine. Hang in there.") wasn't she?

I'm guessing no one here is thinking there will be for me that elusive and dreaded "late seroconversion." And I suppose, like Jan and good old cantankerous Rapid said, I've no business in this section if I'm negative... but I hope it stays constant. I hold all of you, even those who had harsher ways to say things to me, dear to my heart and hope I can stay on in some spectral manner by virtue of my love having the condition precedent. Just hope some of y'all will still talk to me!

Thanks for the memories, friends, and God bless all of you. I'll only return to the "I just tested" forum if a subsequent test is discordant, but I'm in no real hurry to test again either... a month or two should suffice, eh? (And if that happens, which it shouldn't, I'll wait until something more than a rapid test says +.)

I learned alot from the fear... and the false positive (as we're calling it) was an eye-opener. I will NEVER judge a person who has HIV, as I did long ago, as "dirty" or "diseased" because the truth is most of the poz friends I've seen on here are better in health and spirit than most of the people I know in the "real world."

Lots of love, and lots of hope, from my heart to yours... You all are the true survivors and beacons of hope.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2008, 01:03:39 am »
Hi prayer

Personally I'm really pleased that you don't need to be in this forum or the "living with", but you can still post in the "someone I care about" forum if you feel the need.

Wishing you perfect health, and all you wish for yourself..do the right thing and you will remain in good health and achieve all the things you want in life, take care and enjoy life to the fullest.

Hugs
Jan

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #120 on: September 27, 2008, 09:09:30 am »
Blue,

I checked your first post on these forums and looked at my calendar. Your test at PP was done in week ten. You don't have to wait six months for your end-of-window period result, you can test the week of October sixth.

You got a false positive result. As the woman told you, it happens. That's why we kept telling you to hang fire until you got your confirmatory WB. PP correctly didn't do a WB on your second test because it wasn't positive - and the test where they draw a whole vial of blood is one you can trust a lot more than the rapid tests.

You can test again in October for peace of mind. I don't expect you to get anything other than another negative result and neither should you. It might be worth it to NOT get a rapid test, just on the off-chance you get another false positive.

Ann
(who isn't going to say "told you so!") ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2008, 09:13:46 am »
Congratulations, Blue.  Good health from here on out!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2008, 11:41:20 am »
And all of that weight loss wasn't a "symptom" -- it was due to unfounded, or semi-founded, acute anxiety.  Be careful of that mind-over-matter thing the next time, and maybe try and throw back some protein shakes and regain your appropriate weight.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline prayerblue

« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2008, 11:54:01 am »
I just had no idea the mind was so powerful, to be honest...

And to be fair, the mind is a monster right now. It refuses to see on paper and accept totally. But my doc's said my crazy thoughts like the lab mixing it up or doing it wrong or giving my result to another person are untrue, and that if those were real symptoms of COURSE the elisa would be positive by now.

Back to school life and the silly old things like worrying about what to eat and what to wear... and now how to be there for my b/f.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2008, 12:09:32 pm »
I thought you said that you see a psychiatrist regularly?  How regularly?  And have you been diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder?  I'm no shrink, but you seem to exhibit all of the traits of this.  Might be a good idea to go over all of this with someone that knows the signs, because this can't possibly be healthy for your mind.

Oh, and I see you keep reading threads on this board even now that you know you're negative.  That's not particularly letting go.  Just sayin'

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: September 27, 2008, 12:11:08 pm »
Prayer, weren't you asked to refrain from posting anywhere except in the "Someone I care about" forum?  Or the "Am I Infected" forum for the next time you think you've been infected?

Offline prayerblue

« Reply #126 on: September 27, 2008, 12:30:44 pm »
Aight, Betty and philly... I get it... I'm not in positive accoring to the elisa, regardless of the first test, so get the heck out... sorry for responding to the well-wishing responders. To make it even easier, I'll log out so no one will see me haunting here. But for the well-wishes, thanks... just try to be a little understanding that it hasn't sunk in totally?

God bless...

EDIT: and I offended philly without realizing it, so I apologize. I just felt attacked because for all intents and purposes the clinician had said to get in touch with support groups because the result was unlikely to change... I didn't mean to be unwelcome. I don't even think I deserved a neg any more than anyone on here!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 12:52:20 pm by prayerblue »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #127 on: September 27, 2008, 12:34:45 pm »
"The Club"???  Yeah, I'm just LOVING the velvet ropes and VIP room here.  I'm just SO HAPPY that I have HIV, and I'm just SO DAMN SORRY that you do not.

Give me a f*cking break -- how condescending.

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #128 on: September 27, 2008, 03:03:36 pm »
And on that note, I'm locking this thread.

Peter

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.