Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:51:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 519
Total: 520

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: meal and grocery service needs your help in Seattle  (Read 5983 times)

Offline RobinL1962

meal and grocery service needs your help in Seattle
« on: May 01, 2009, 04:35:59 pm »
Hi Everyone,

There is a 3 month waiting list for meal and grocery services in Seattle for the HIV/AIDS community. One thing I have found out is it is about funding and its allocation. Food being an essential. If you feel compelled to fill out form at link below, and select Lifelong meal and grocery service and express the importance of the need of money allocation to the grocery and meal service, possibly it would help eliminate our wait list. Thank you ahead of time. Robin

cut and paste:

http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/health/communicable/hiv/feedback.aspx

Offline RobinL1962

Hi Everyone,

I attended the Seattle HIV/AIDS Planning Council meeting last night as part of the requirement to become a member of the council. I interview as a client/consumer Representative June 2nd.

It was brought to the councils attention of the letter written by myself and others that I asked to write and Lifelong AIDS Alliance (Seattle) was contacted regarding the 3 month wait list for grocery and meal service. In King County there are 163 people on the wait list. A wait list was not acceptable to a member who is a client representative, and the following action was taken.

At the meeting last night an additional $38,500.00 was added to the grocery service. At $14.00 a unit, that is 2,750 bags of groceries. That will add 53 people getting groceries for a year.

It does not take care of the wait list but it is an improvement.

Thanks for your support,
Robin

I would like to encourage everyone  that can, to volunteer at whatever capacity you can at your local HIV/AIDS service org.'s. It is really helpful if you are dealing with isolation. Also, if warranted a "Thank You" you note goes a long way. Even if not to the organization send a Thank  note to the volunteers of that organization.

PEACE!

Offline RobinL1962

Re: meal and grocery service needs your help in Seattle
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 12:04:06 pm »
this article was published in this weeks Seattle Gay News. I am graterful they are bringing the need out to the public :

Chicken Soup Brigade still working and caring
by Shaun Knittel SGN Staff Writer
One year ago, Robin Langdale told Life­long AIDS Alliance (LLAA) executives he no longer required the Chicken Soup Bri­gade's (CSB) service. The organization feeds hundreds each week with bags of gro­ceries, fresh meals and soup. These meals are an important part of maintaining the health of people living with HIV/AIDS and other life-challenging illnesses. Langdale, HIV positive for 23 years, utilized the ser­vice when he felt he needed it, and termi­nated it when he felt he did not.
"The economy is hitting everyone hard," Langdale wrote in an e-mail to LLAA ex­ecutives last month. "I stopped using the grocery and meal service because I had been given generous amounts of food and since I no longer needed it I did not want to be taking from someone who really needed it. Well, I need it now and I am told by my case manager there is a waiting list, which we proceeded to put me on."
Langdale said he was emotionally devas­tated and hurt. "I have never felt so rejected and turned away by my own community," he said.
Langdale is not alone. He shares a list with 228 clients currently not receiving CSB as­sistance. The average wait time is 12 weeks.
Unfortunately, said Director of Chicken Soup Brigade Nutrition Services Patrick Schultz, there is little they can do because the need for assistance has outgrown dona­tions.
People are living longer with HIV/AIDS, Schultz told SGN. "That is a great thing, but it's changed the role of CSB from a short-term need to a long-term program." People need us indefinitely, he said.
"We contacted Mr. Langdale and spoke with him at length," Schultz told SGN. "His decision to stop using our service a year ago so that others may benefit is admirable. We're sorry for his present difficult situation and we hear that he feels hurt and disap­pointed."
Additionally, the pool of clients CSB feed continues to grow. According to LLAA Di­rector of Marketing and Events Asia Rau, CSB is currently serving more people than at any time in its 25-year history. Thousands benefit from the food program every month.
"To cut costs and maintain quality ser­vices - and feed more people - during these tough economic times, LLAA eliminated
positions, limited our hours of operation, and conducted program specific cost-cut­ting measures such as eliminating expen­sive menu items from our prepared meal program," Rau told SGN. "At some point we would love to bring back the pot roast and mashed potatoes, but for now were are concerned with feeding as many people as possible."
"Our hope is that we can move clients through the waitlist and onto food services as quickly as possible," Schultz said. "As space on the program becomes available, please know that we quickly make resources available to those in greatest need on the list."
Even though federal funding for food services to people with HIV/AIDS in King County shrank by 20% in the past year, CSB is bracing for an anticipated 50% reduction in stating funding next month. That puts CSB in a bind, say officials, as the organi­zation relies heavily on donations from the community in their effort to sustain the pro­gram.
"We continuously reach out to donors, event attendees and the public to explain what CSB does for clients," said Rau. "We just completed Dining Out for Life April 30, which will greatly benefit CSB as well as LLAA as a whole."
Still, its not enough, said Schultz. "I don't want to say we need more from the commu­nity [Capitol Hill] because they are already so supportive - be we can always use a little more."
The public can help by donating directly
to CSB, officials said. "You can help by par­ticipating in Care to Shop through our gro­cery store partners as a volunteer or shopper, set up a food drive at your work, school, or church," said Rau.
The Chicken Soup Brigade's range of re­sponsibility is all-encompassing. The orga­nization not only feeds; they inform. CSB provides nutrition support for people in need throughout a four-county area that includes King, Pierce, Snohomish, and Kitsap. De­pending on clients' eligibility, CSB officials told SGN, clients receive a bag of frozen, prepared meals once per week, and/or a bag of groceries. Schultz said the clients who are mobile can pick up their food at one of several pickup centers. Housebound clients receive delivery.
If you get down to everything that CSB does, it quickly becomes clear just how much the organization is in need of volun­teers and donations. On a weekly basis, CSB provides over 1,000 bags of groceries, dis­tribute 4,500 meals through a pick-up cen­ter and the home delivery program - plus, it takes 80 volunteers to deliver groceries and meals to CSB homebound clients.
"We don't want to have a waiting list," said Rau. "But this is to make sure our lim­ited resources go to those who are most in need, therefore we have a list, which we pri­oritize according to the sickest and poorest people first."
CSB and LLAA have many opportunities to volunteer or donate. For more information you can visit their website at www.LLAA. org.

Offline CJWAUS

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 04:24:52 am »
Maybe if Lifelong spent what money they do have more wisely they wouldn't have this problem. Lifelong provides custom made to their needs frozen dinners to people with HIV/AIDS. Now some people need this kind of care HOWEVER there are plenty of able bodied people getting these frozen meals who are simply too lazy to cook, or don't want to learn how to cook.

Why should someone get custom prepared frozen meals for FREE for no reason other than they are lazy? Just having HIV does not entitle you to be taken care of for the rest of your life. Lifelong has several under 30 year old HIV+ hustlers/drug dealers they are paying rent for at the Cambridge apartments. These are guys who can work, yet refuse so we the tax payers support them simply because they have HIV. With free rent, food, medical care, and transportation to and from the doctor, they are free to use as much meth as they want and live off society.

I'm absolutely baffled by the logic or lack thereof used by Lifelong. Those who need a helping hand once in a blue moon are SOL, while the system queens get a free ride. 

Offline CJWAUS

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 04:32:28 am »
Let’s also not forget that for the true system queens at Lifelong there is free entertainment! Free opera, symphony, musical, and play tickets. You can also get free SEASON long passes to the zoo. Only problem is that the Zoo is a bit hissy that of all the season passes they gave (50) only 7 got used last year.

If you have any desire to help yourself then Lifelong isn’t the place to go, Lifelong is for those who want to live off my contributions as well as all those others who have HIV and still WORK! It makes me sick when I see young 20’s people in there getting every possible expense paid for.

Latest program I’m hearing about is to pay to fix the cars of the system queens so they can get to their “appointments”. What about me, who pays to repair my ride so I can get to work to support this system of freeloading enablers? 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.