Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:34:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772786
  • Total Topics: 66297
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 216
Total: 218

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bone Marrow Removal Shows Promise In Removing HIV  (Read 9423 times)

Offline sensual1973

God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline YellowFever

Re: another bone marrow
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 11:28:19 am »
Good to hear more people getting 'cured'. I wonder if the CCR5-Delta32 in Tim's case was really necessary (and sufficient?) to cure him. It could have been the chemotherapy.

http://www.nature.com/news/stem-cell-transplants-may-purge-hiv-1.13297
Brown was given stem cells that were predisposed to resist HIV infection, because the donor happened to have a mutated version of a key protein — CCR5 — that is needed for HIV to infect cells. So Brown’s transplant was akin to gene therapy with HIV-resistant cells.

But the Boston patients received stem cells without the protective mutation. The transplanted cells must therefore have been protected from infection by the antiretroviral drugs taken during cancer treatment. Their doctors think that an immune response called graft-versus-host disease — a post-transplant reaction in which donated cells kill off a patient’s own cells — may have then wiped out the patients’ HIV reservoirs, potentially curing the men.
08/2010 HIV- 08/2012 HIV+
10/2012 CD4 415
04/2013 CD4 457
10/2013 CD4 520 VL 650
02/2014 CD4 410 VL 390
08/2014 CD4 580
01/2015 CD4 500 VL UD
05/2015 CD4 420 VL 2500
08/2015 CD4 460 VL UD
03/2016 CD4 500 VL UD
08/2016 CD4 410 VL 4467

Offline RobbyR

Bone Marrow Removal Shows Promise In Removing HIV
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 11:36:24 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23132561

Some have beat me to it on here already, and we don't want to get too excited yet, but it seems there may be some hope about curing HIV/removing it from the blood via bone marrow transplant. The virus lives in the blood so it does make sense that if all blood is removed and transplanted, the virus does not return. Hopefully, scientists will find a way to do this without the extreme of a bone marrow transplant, as that is an extreme case, and this information was essentially found by accident, as the men involved in this story had cancer and happened to have HIV as well, and they found that the HIV has not returned to their bodies as of yet. Hopefully this will give research a whole new avenue to pursue, there have been so many false hopes over the years, I hope there's something to this. The meds we have today are great, but nobody wants to be on anti-retroviral meds their whole life, a cure is the ideal situation. I am an optimist and hope this is one small ray of hope we can hold onto for the future.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline buginme2

IAS reports, at least three more people cured?
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 11:45:24 am »
Another man from Rmany, a 67 year old man who started HIV treatment shortly after diagnosis (within three months) his viral load was over one million at the time and cd4 count just under five hundred.

He started treatment right away with AZT, 3tc, and efavirenz.  It's believed that since he was able to start treatment so soon after seroconversion he was ale to control the virus. 

http://mobile.aidsmap.com/German-researchers-report-case-of-functional-cure-after-very-early-HIV-treatment/page/2691566/?utm_source=NAM-Email-Promotion&utm_medium=conference-bulletin&utm_campaign=English

There was also info presented at IAS about two from Boston who may be "cured" after receiving a stem cell transplant.  This news has been reported previously however, the last time it was reported they were still on HAART.  They have stopped HAART and are still maintaining viral control. 

Lots of cure reports at IAS this year, that's a bit coo!
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Jmarksto

Re: IAS reports, at least three more people cured?
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 12:37:20 pm »
Lots of cure reports at IAS this year, that's a bit coo!

The news over the last year has been amazing - we have gone from one person to nineteen cured or at least in remission (not counting Dr. Basara's patients, yet...) within a very short period of time.  Perhaps we'll need a "counter" on the front page of Poz.com to track the number of people cured or in remission.

In reading the IAS news I am also struck by how sensitive all of the reports are to not blow any of the results out of proportion -- all of them that I have read point out that we still have a very long way to go.  There is clearly an attempt to keep the media from going overboard, which is good.
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Bone Marrow Removal Shows Promise In Removing HIV
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 12:43:03 pm »
I merged all three threads started on this subject, and kept the best (most descriptive) title.

Please keep all further posts about this latest bone-marrow (don't say the C word just yet) news in this thread.

Any further new threads started on this subject will be deleted.

Thank you all for your cooperation and help in keeping this section of the forums tidy and easily searchable.

Ann
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 07:02:31 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline geobee

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 03:43:05 pm »
Well this is certainly exciting!  Sign me up!  Er...just a sec...20% mortality, immunosuppressant drugs afterwards... hmmm... guess not!

But...wow!  This is really great news and I'm sure it's got a lot of smart people thinking about safer, cheaper stem cell transplants or other ways to mimic the transplant. 

Sure seems like the graft vs. host disease is what did the job.  I wonder if that would occur with autologous transplants.  Of course, it could also have been the chemo that did it, but I don't think so since they still had a VL after the chemo and it went down over time.  That seems to me like something like the GHD was doing the job.

This is really good news.   It'll be wonderful if they stay UD.  Time will tell.

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 04:32:18 pm »
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline Dr.Strangelove

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 06:26:15 am »
I still find it a bit hard to believe that a bone marrow transplant alone is enough to get rid of the virus.
Surely, Timothy Brown wasn't the first HIV positive person to receive a bone marrow transplant.
Shouldn't there be many more cured people like him then?

Offline Cosmicdancer

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 09:31:21 am »
Good question.  According to data by the US Dept. of Health and Human Services, "over 17,900 bone marrow or umbilical cord blood transplants were performed in the United States in 2011".  You would think that at least 1 in 1,000 would be poz recipients.

http://bloodcell.transplant.hrsa.gov/about/general_faqs/index.html#1990 number tx in US
Summer, 2007 - &$#@?
November, 2007 - Tested poz, 300,000 vl, 560 cd4
Feb, 2008 - 57,000 vl, 520 cd4, started Atripla
2/2008 - 5/2015 - undetectable on Atripla
May, 2015 - UD, switched to Complera
September, 2015 - UD, 980 cd4, switched to Stribild (Complera interacted with acid reflux medication)
January, 2016 - Stribild, UD, 950 cd4
June, 2016 - UD, 929 cd4

Offline Tadeys

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 10:03:20 am »
I remember reading that some guy( Franch?)  was given a bone marrow transplant in the mid 90s. His viral load was going down the Hill after the transplant. But he died a few months after for something related to the cancer or the transplant.

Offline Pricho01

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 09:44:42 pm »
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Bone-marrow-transplant/Pages/Risks.aspx

I am hopeful too = but the risks involved in this procedure are high and it is certainly a nasty procedure to go through with the radiation/chemo..... I'm just thinking about quality of life afterwards.... I watched my sister go through chemo for bowel cancer and it wasn't pretty.

I would like to know what quality of life is like for these people now.... today......

I also thought there were reservoirs of the virus in the Lymphatic system and in the gut etc? Blah... I dunno.... time I suppose will be the final decider.

Looking forward to more information on this..... if I get one more Facebook inbox comment from a friend telling me I am cured I think I will throw my laptop over the balcony! ;)

P
Dear Optimist, Pessimist, and Realist, While you guys were busy arguing about the glass of water, I drank it! Sincerely, The Opportunist

Offline Cosmicdancer

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 08:58:43 pm »
Here's another brief article about the two Boston stem cell transplant patients who show no trace of HIV months after being taken off meds. The article mentions that they did not undergo the same kind of intensive chemo that Timothy Brown did, but I'd be interested in knowing more details about the procedure they went through.  Hopefully they are both in fact functionally cured.

http://www.sfgate.com/business/bloomberg/article/Stem-Cell-Transplants-Clear-HIV-in-Two-Boston-4644701.php

Stem Cell Transplants Clear HIV in Two Boston Cancer Patients
Simeon Bennett, ©2013 Bloomberg News

Published 6:25 am, Wednesday, July 3, 2013

July 3 (Bloomberg) -- Two HIV patients in Boston who received stem-cell transplants for cancer had no trace of the AIDS-causing virus after the procedure, suggesting they may have been cured.

The two patients, treated at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, stopped HIV treatment after the transplants, which in other patients has opened the door for the virus to come roaring back. In one patient there was no sign of the virus 15 weeks after stopping treatment, while the other has gone seven weeks without HIV rebounding, according to results presented today at the International AIDS Society’s meeting in Kuala Lumpur.

The researchers led by Timothy Henrich of Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women’s Hospital said it’s too early to conclude the two men have been cured and the virus may be lingering in their brains or gut. Still, their cases are similar to that of Timothy Brown, the so-called Berlin patient, who was the first person to be cured of HIV after getting a bone marrow transplant for leukemia in 2007.

“While stem-cell transplantation is not a viable option for people with HIV on a broad scale because of its costs and complexity, these new cases could lead us to new approaches to treating, and ultimately even eradicating, HIV,” Kevin Robert Frost, the chief executive officer of amfAR, The Foundation for AIDS Research, which funded the study, said in a statement.

Drug Cocktails

There was one main difference between Brown and the two Boston men: the cells he received contained a rare genetic mutation called CCR5 that made him resistant to HIV infection. The donors in the new cases lacked that mutation, and the Boston patients didn’t undergo the intensive chemotherapy Brown did.

Scientists had believed the CCR5 mutation was key to Brown being cured. They’ll be scouring the new evidence for clues to whether other genes may hold promise against HIV, Rowena Johnson, amfAR’s director of research, said in an e-mail.

While AIDS drugs such as Gilead Sciences Inc.’s Atripla reduce HIV to undetectable levels in the body, making it a chronic disease, they don’t completely clear it. The virus hides in certain immune cells, where it switches off the normal process of replication. That enables HIV to avoid detection by the medicines, which are designed to block steps in its reproduction.

Studies have shown that when patients who have the virus under control stop treatment, latent HIV reactivates and comes roaring back, forcing victims to resume daily pill therapy.

Doctors in March said they had cured an infant born with HIV for the first time by treating her with AIDS drugs about 30 hours after she was born at a rural Mississippi hospital. At 18 months the mother took the child off medication, and when the virus had not returned 10 months later, she was deemed “functionally cured.”
Summer, 2007 - &$#@?
September, 2015 - UD, 980 cd4, switched to Stribild (Complera interacted with acid reflux medication)
June, 2016 - UD, 929 cd4

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 05:47:05 am »
"There was one main difference between Brown and the two Boston men: the cells he received contained a rare genetic mutation called CCR5 that made him resistant to HIV infection. The donors in the new cases lacked that mutation"

how are they resisting the virus so far then?
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline geobee

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 11:02:36 am »
The new stem cells wiped out the old stem cells.  It is called graft versus host disease.  The new stem cells think that the old stem cells are foreign and attack them and destroy them.  Meanwhile the new stem cells are not infected because they are still on medication.

That's the theory anyway from what I read.

Offline geobee

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 08:14:23 pm »
PS:  I saw my doc for my regular check up and joked about scheduling my stem cell transplant.  She shot me a sharp look which softened when I said I was kidding.  She also said that the drugs I'm taking now are a lot easier on the system than the immunosuppressant drugs that go along with a SC transplant.

Offline Matts

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 03:38:42 pm »
Twelve-year-old Eric Blue has died from "a very bad form of graft-versus-host
disease".

The procedure, which was performed April 23, involved injecting Blue with blood cells from a donor with a rare genetic resistance to HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. Less than 1 percent of the population is born with this genetic resistance, according to Verneris. Doctors hoped the transplant would rid the boy’s body of both the leukemia and HIV and help fight off any recurrence.

While not yet conclusive, tissue and blood tests obtained through Blue’s treatment have shown an absence of HIV, even after his medications were discontinued, Verneris said.

“There was no sign of leukemia either for that matter,” he said. “Things were looking quite bright. Of course, that makes it even more bittersweet in some ways … that he was almost there.”

http://www.startribune.com/local/215290391.html
Dovato

Offline Tadeys

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 11:27:49 am »
Bittersweet if in fact data shows absence of HIV. The evidence is pointing more and more towards graft-vs-host disease as the key in eliminating HIV from the body.  RIP Blue.

Offline Cosmicdancer

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 11:54:46 pm »
I'm not sure if this was posted, but this is a video of the Late Breaker presentation in which one of the researchers talks about the 2 Boston patients.  His presentation starts at about 14:00 minutes. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tFA9-Ri-V4&feature=youtu.be
Summer, 2007 - &$#@?
June, 2016 - UD, 929 cd4

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.