Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:21:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 455
Total: 456

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New to my area (DC) and now this  (Read 14791 times)

Offline Cuddlepig

New to my area (DC) and now this
« on: January 29, 2008, 04:05:33 am »
I recentely (just over a week ago) moved to the Washington DC area where I a friend of mine told me to come live with him and start sort of a fresh new life in this area.  Everything seemed like a great idea to me as I was temporarily staying in Idaho where I was born and raised until I got the hell out of there as quickly as I could at the age of 16.  However leaving from Boston, MA to Idaho is a bit of a shocker intself so I was more than happy to move to DC.  I boared a plane and came to DC only knowing the one person I was coming to stay with however I have found its not the most stable place for me to be and especially now.  So here I am looking for a place to live, and job to work at with hardly a nickle to my name  and I went for the test today.

I have had a number of these tests in the past as I try to routinely do them and keep up on my status but this one was a least a few months over due.  Well someone I met only last week when just getting into town offered to take me to GLBT health clinic in DC and I got my test.  I was informed with the test that I am positive which should come and no huge surprise to me as I pretty much only bareback and have been for the last 3 years.  However, as many of my friends from the Boston area have been in my same shoes with this I am found it can be still a BIG SHOCKER as it was for me today.

Well, I am not dealing with so much the surprise or the shock as much as just what do I do now, where do I turn, and where is my support.  Being brand new to the area I really do not know much at all of what this area has to offer or really having friends for that matter.  My new friend who took me tonight and also informed me of this site I have to say is my real hero at this point.  He took me to my to get the test, he waited around for me, he even went around the corner to the HRC store and got me a an HRC "LIVE" bracelet.  But then to top it off before bringing me back to my disfuntional living situation tonight he took me out to a nice restarunat and really let me know he was there for me.

Well now that I am back to my friends house I am staying with here I am just getting one lecture after another and being told how I should do everything... not a hug.  I am a pretty upfront and very honest person so changing on my status on a few sites is what I felt I wanted to do... not that sex is really on my mind right now.  However I wanted to inform a few close people to me as well especially those I have been with sexually lately but was lectured there as well.  I would think someone in the mental health profession like my friend I am staying with would be a bit more compassionate and understanding not judging and lecturing.

Well I hope to mabe make a few new friends here those who can point me in some right directions and give me some good advice.  Find some new direction and incite as to what the DC area might have to offer me... and even anyone who has any advice or could point me in the right direction as far as finding a place to live.  I am a sincere, honest guy looking to make roots here, find good work and settle down.  I look forward to hearinging from you.  Thanks!    :-*

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: New to my area (DC) and now this
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 06:32:55 am »
{Hug}  :D Although I'm not from DC.

The GLBT health clinic you went to might offer other services that go beyond just medical health, for example support groups. If so, it's more than a clinic, it's an A.S.O. (AIDS service org). Ask your friend (the one who took you to dinner) which ASO he thinks is good and doctor recommendations as well. Sorry to hear you were lectured.   

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 07:07:07 am »

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 10:05:58 am »
CP,

Welcome to the DC area.  I was born and raised just across the river and still live here, and I'm aware of how challenging it can be to find your place socially, land work, and live within your means.  Having HIV doesn't make it any easier, but it does give you some common ground if you know the right places to look.

Give me a shout.

David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline sacinsc

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 04:53:36 pm »
You are going to be fine :) DC has good resources for getting you the help you need. You will find a job soon, and you will get your living situation fixed in no time. You have a smart head on your shoulders, but it is time to start using your intelligence and not your street smarts to get you what you want. Trust me, after the year I had last year...if I can come through it...you can come through it :D

This is no death sentence, but it means taking some new steps in your like. You will be fine.

Matt

PS....Redhot where are you in DC...I just moved back...always looking for new friends around here too :)
March 07 - Negative
May 07 - Exposed
June 07 - Seroconversion
September 07 - CD4 402 VL 118000 25%
October 07 -     CD4 294 VL 124000 22%
November 07 - Norvir, Triuvada and Reyataz
December 07 -  CD4 355 VL  550 .... guess the meds are working.
January 08 - CD4 446 VL <48 undetectable!
April 08 - CD4 554 VL <48 undetectable!
July 08 - CD4 666 VL <48 undetectable! Hporay...I have devil CD4's

Offline Khori Ross

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 12:37:43 pm »
Yes, you are going to do well...DC is a great area to be in. 

I too just moved back here(I've been in OH) for 10 years. 

I also just was recently diagnosed, and know what you're going through. 

Offline sacinsc

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 10:07:41 pm »
An update on JJ. He is in the hospital...mental...things finally over whelmed him. I have been there with him tonight and will be back tomorrow. His CD4 count was 340 and his VL was over 500,000 so as soon as the genotype is back he will be on meds. Say a prayer for him.

Matt
March 07 - Negative
May 07 - Exposed
June 07 - Seroconversion

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 10:16:23 pm »
Thanks for the update, Matt.  I will definitely surge some good energy his way.  Nice you're with him also.  That speaks volumes about you.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 10:33:20 pm »
Hi Matt

Glad to hear you are there for him, it must be very stressful being in a city with no or very little support, but I know you will direct him in the right direction.

(((hugs for you both))))
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline sacinsc

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 11:33:09 pm »
We both thank you all! I just left him. He is now in a pysch hospital that has a gay section. I stayed with him through the admitting process and through a combination of me calling and the hiv clinic calling he is in for free treatment. They will help him get a place to live afterwards. I am really happy he is there. I know he is safe at least and will be well fed. Its where I went when I had my total breakdown in December. Feels right to do this for him.

I will keep yall updated on his process. For at least the next week he should be there though. I gave him a weeks worth of quarters so he could call me with nightly updates on how he is doing.

Keep him in your thoughts!
March 07 - Negative
May 07 - Exposed
June 07 - Seroconversion

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 08:03:51 am »
Matt, I'm so glad you're there for him.  Can I call you if I ever get in a tight spot? ;)  It sounds like they have some great support services there.  What you're doing definitely speaks volumes of what your character is.  Thanks for being there! :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 08:15:14 am »
Thank you for the update Matt

I'm glad you are there for JJ. What an amazingly sweet man you are.

Sharkie

Offline sacinsc

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 10:23:28 pm »
Well things were going well in the psych hospital. Last night though JJ's roommate called me on the pay phone there. He has been passing out and sleeping all day. He finally was taken last night to the emergency room, and that is all I know. I know that his numbers weren't great but he was still above AIDS......maybe they crashed and with all the stress a OI hit him. I really don't know. I am waiting to hear something tonight.....but nothing so far. Will try again tomorrow. Keep him in mind....

Matt
March 07 - Negative
May 07 - Exposed
June 07 - Seroconversion

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 10:31:32 pm »
Hi Matt~

Please send my prayers JJs way.  I was born in Georgetown and have been moving up 270 my entire life.  Raised in Mont Co and living in Frederick the past 15 years.

Thank you for the updates, I certainly hope that JJ will be alright soon.  Its encouraging to see that he is getting the care he needs now.

~ Cindy in Maryland  :-*
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline djpj715

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 09:44:48 am »
Wow Matt my hat is off to you -- Angles do exist in this sometimes tough and cruel world --
I will pray for you and for JJ also
Jeff

Offline sacinsc

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 07:52:49 pm »
Latest update...finally talked to JJ today. He is now at the group home for drug users. Not exactly where he needs to be, but it is a safe place. He is very miserable and I told him that he had to stay, but if we could find something else we would. But he must get on his meds and regulated before that could even be thought about, which he agreed to. I hope he doesn't run....I stressed to him that he must not!!! I have his address, thought about giving it to those who wanted it to send him keep it up cards. If you are truly interested in doing that let me know via PM.

What has me concerned is the fact that it has been over a month and his genotype hasn't come back yet. He can't get meds for his HIV even though his numbers are crashing fast. I am wondering if his numbers are dropping low enough to put him in AIDS range yet...kinda feel two steps removed at this point. I should get to see him this weekend, so I will take him more of his clothes. Going to try to start sending him mail every couple days to.

Will let you know more as I get it!

Matt
March 07 - Negative
May 07 - Exposed
June 07 - Seroconversion

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 05:49:59 am »
Matt, you are doing everything you can do.  If he does run, (and I don't mean to sound cruel), that's on him.  I know the desire to want to save people, trust.  I've been on both ends- a using addict and someone who wants recovery for someone else very badly.

I wonder what's taking so long for his genotype to come back.  I had a phenotype done not too long ago and it was only a couple weeks before mine was back.  Good luck with all that.  Keeping you both in my thoughts.
  Luv,
Betty

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 03:55:30 am »
Wow sorry to hear about all of this. I live in the DC area too. Let me know if I can help in any way. It is tough dealing with Hiv.

Offline Cuddlepig

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 12:20:46 pm »
Hey there friends and fellow supporters and thank you so much for your many comments, questions, and concerns.  As you can see I have not written anything since I began this post back at the end of January.  I do however owe the greatest amount gratitude and thanks to Matt who done so very much for me helping me in more ways than one could ever hope for or expect.  I thank Matt for all of the support he has shown me since the beginning, the encouragement that he continues to give me, and for keeping each of you up-to-date on here that took the time to read my posting and respond.

It has been quite a whirlwind, and a pretty difficult time for over the last 6-7 weeks with of course the news of my status along with trying to begin life in a new city.  As Matt has briefly spoke to you about I have had to get some serious help since I have been in DC.  My mental health has not been stable at all and I have felt rather suicidal.  I am happy to say that things are getting better in that area of my life I do not feel suicidal at this point and I would even go so far as to say every now and then I have a good day.  My mental health is not nearly out of the water yet I do have my many bad days and just feel like giving up, or why bother.  However I am seeing a psychiatrist regularly and I am on some psych meds to help hopefully continue to balance out.  I know that most of my depression stems directly as situational depression and that once things in my life continue to turn around it will all most likely be a thing of the past.

As for the rest of my health and the developments of my HIV I will soon hopefully be getting some new results.  My original numbers of a CD4 340 and viral load of over 500K have certainly alarmed me a bit.  It did come as a relief however to find out that my geno type came back showing no resistances.  I am scheduled now to meet with my doctor on Monday the 24th.  The plan on Monday is for my doctor and I to speak about which meds  it is that I should go on... at this point in discussions over the phone my doctor said we will probably be going with Trvada, Norvir, Reyataz.  I have not had any of my blackouts now since I left the hospital and the home I was staying at temporarily so that is a real plus.  As I was saying in the paragraph before I have my good days and my bad days.  There are times I can have a couple good days in a row with energy to do normal day’s activities or more and then the next day I may hardly be able to get out of bed energy level wise.  I also can sleep ungodly amount most of the time and just feel run down and tired.  Can anyone really answer if some of this can be related to my higher viral load that I have in my body at this time?  Well any comments, suggestions, or facts that you have to offer would be greatly appreciated.

My goals now will be to continue to work with my doctors as much as I can at the Whitman Walker Clinic as we begin treatment.  I also am continuing as eagerly as possible my search to find a job and a place to live in DC.  The weekend I left the dextox home I stayed with Matt.  I know it was not really what he wanted as he truly does care about me and my well being.  However since I had gone off to the Lambda program at the Psychiatric Institute of Washington for my mental health being released then to the home for detox I felt was completely wrong place for me and that I would be using it only as a shelter I know I was not good in keeping up with this since beginning this post however I do plan on trying to do a much better job with this from this point forward.  You are also welcome to drop me a note anytime at yngcamhotguy@gmail.com.   Thanks again for everyone’s comments and support!

- jj -

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 02:39:20 pm »
Hi JJ

I'm glad to see you are back with us..I hope everything works out for you, somethings just take time.

You should be able to read your PM's now that you have 3 posts up.

Hope to hear more from you again soon.

Hugs
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 03:17:10 pm »
Welcome back, JJ.  I'm glad to hear that you're progressing, however slowly.

About the fatigue, it could be a mixture of your high viral load/continued depression.  Are you seeing a therapist besides your psychiatrist?  I would highly recommend it if you're not already.  I truly believe that anytime psych medicine is used, it should be coupled with therapy.  And you'd be surprised how much this helps.  Really.  It's not something I don't do myself. 

You take care of yourself.  I look forward to hearing more from you.
    Luv,
Betty

Offline dgr20002

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2008, 07:34:36 pm »
Hey JJ,

It's great that you are posting again and I am glad to hear that you are working to turn things around for yourself. I'll give you a shout on AIM too next time I see you.

David

Offline Cuddlepig

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 11:52:25 pm »
Hey Betty thanks for your message and encouragement.  I am seeing my psychiatrist right now once a week right now and I actually did an assesment today so that they can hook me up with the right therapist for psycho therapy.  I too know that this will be a great step for me in really getting my life back in order and my head in a better place.

- jj -

Offline FutureX

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2008, 08:06:51 am »
The Lambda Center at PIW helped me with my crystal meth addiction back in 2004.
It works!
Let me know if you want to go to a meeting ;)

Jimmy

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2008, 04:08:23 pm »
Hey, Jimmy, welcome to the forums. :)  Hope to hear more from you.
  Luv
Betty

Offline FutureX

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2008, 09:28:31 am »
Thanks!
Glad to be here, I know what this guy is going through! even though it was a few years ago, I remember it all.

Jimmy

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2008, 02:53:22 pm »
Hi JJ~  Its great to hear from you, and to hear that you are doing well!  Matt really IS an angel for helping you at a very tough time!

Also, welcome to Jimmy as well.

~ Cindy aka "DC Native"  :D
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.