Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:38:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 229
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Filthy Little Birds...But They're So Damn Cute!  (Read 5675 times)

Offline Basquo

Filthy Little Birds...But They're So Damn Cute!
« on: April 26, 2009, 08:02:38 pm »
Some little wrens tried to nest in my hanging bromeliad, in fact they shredded some of the leaves to anchor their nest! But I got rid of that...so I thought...and then they rebuilt it in a matter of a day. I then built a shelter in another hanging plant that was not in good health, adding lots of branches, bedding etc. While I was busy doing that, they were busy faking me out.  They had built a decoy nest in my Boston fern.  By the time I discovered it, there were eggs already. Cat person that I am, I still let it be, watering from the side.

6 weeks later, I noticed today that the nest is empty. While I was relaxing on the terrace this afternoon, however, a baby bird came careening around in erratic flight, much like Woodstock from Peanuts. While he was crying for Mama (or Daddy, who has a brilliant red and yellow upper half) I snapped some pictures. I was  telling him "Jump, jump, jump!" because I really want to split and repot the fern, which should be well-fertilized by now.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Filthy Little Birds...But They're So Damn Cute!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 05:11:12 am »
Cute but filthy; I know just what you mean! (get your minds out of the gutter, I'm talking birds - the kind with feathers and wings!)

When I first moved into the place I live now in March 07, I noticed there was a house martin or swallow nest in the eaves outside my bedroom window. It remained empty that first summer. Then one evening last spring, I was out in the front garden, weeding, when I noticed several pairs of house martins swooping and diving around the estate. One of them discovered the nest and went to find his mate. They got really excited and invited their friends to have a look too. One of the three pairs moved in the next day and raised three or four chicks.

I had to be very careful about how far open I left my bedroom window, as my three cats thought they'd make a terrific meal and spent many a happy hour sitting on the window-sill, watching the nest. It was kinda nice to wake up to twittering every morning, but THE MESS! Sheesh, I could have done without the mess! My living room window is directly below my bedroom window and all the martin guano ended up on the outside ledge of my living room window. NOT nice to clean up! I forgave the birds though, it was wonderful having them around and I hope they come back this year too. (No sign of them yet...)

Nice photos, Creighton!

Ann

PS - I didn't take the attached photos, but wanted to let you guys see what they're like. I used to love looking up and seeing their little faces peering out of the nest. Once the chicks were born, there was ALWAYS a face at the opening, unless mum or dad had just arrived with some goodies!

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 07:59:48 am »
I avoid birds and their droppings as much as possible.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 08:14:47 am »

We have so many of these birds on the property at work.  I see them in the morning as I'm leaving, they love hanging out and nesting in the hedges, all along the building ! Very noticeable sound.

Their fast little buggers !!    :)

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 08:38:31 am »
I avoid birds and their droppings as much as possible.

I thought of you and your histo when I read Creighton's post! How's that going?

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 08:57:51 am »
I thought of you and your histo when I read Creighton's post! How's that going?

Ann

It only took them a month this time to get the medication approval. It only got up to 11.5 percent this time. On the pills to try again 6 a day, I use to only take two a day. Other than that I'm doing pretty good.

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 08:31:46 pm »
Very cute birds. I once bought a green baby chicken an I ended up with a hen that followe me every time I went out to the garden. I catched grasshoppers for her and handed them to her alive. She loved them. Maybe it was like eating shrimps for her. I had to give it away to a colleague from school. His neighbour's dog jumped over the fence and ate it...
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 01:07:55 am »
We have a nest in the eaves in the back over Katie's bedroom window. It is too high up for me to reach: I don't do ladders very well anymore:  ditzy  err.dizzy issues.

This is the first house I've lived in that has not had a bird bath and feeder. I grew up cleaning/scrubbing Mothers bird bath (she loved birds)

Then there were the chickens at the farm: Mother yelling out the back door: Edgar: dinnertime, I need a chicken:  what followed was a poor little boy's nightmare for years to come.  :o
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 04:17:40 pm »
Pigeons nested on my windowsill and I hadn't noticed them until the eggs were laid. It was cold and I didn't have the heart to chase them away or confiscate the eggs. What a pile of crap they left, behind my planters, and what a racket of noise. 
Finally they flew the coop and I cleaned it all up.
It happened again on my balcony. I was fed up, confiscated the eggs. Chased those suckers away relentlessly.
Now that the pigeon community has me marked as a killer, they haven't returned.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 06:59:05 am »
We are forever having birds build nests in between our porch lights and the house.  We've got one on our back deck as I speak.  So far, no eggs in it.  We knock it down and by morning, it's up again.  This time, some genious of a bird built a nest in one of our fake ficus trees.  We're pretty sure it's abandoned, though. 

When we see a nest, we just put an old piece of plastic down to catch the droppings.  The kids rather enjoy watching the eggs hatch and seeing the babies fly away.

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 12:12:13 pm »
Oh I love the Wrens! Last year I had a pair build a nest in the corner of my window, it was so much fun watching them build their nest, they would bring sticks in and then stamp them down by jumping on them. I was amazed at how the nest had to be "just right". I was immediately hooked...I even put cotton balls out in the yard for them to use

A few weeks later I heard tiny peeps coming from the nest and after inspecting the nest I found 4 little birds. We have alot of cats in the nieghborhood so I kept a watch out for any trying to get at the nest....this soon turned into all out sentry duty and I soon found myself armed with a hose, many a cat had an unexpected bath due to my new found duties.

One morning my roomie came running into the house saying the birds had fallen out of the nest and needed help, so I went out and tried to keep them corraled as my roomie found a box, they could fly short distances and were hopping and jumping about so it was quite a sight to see me trying to get them all in the box. Finally I had all 4 in the box and I returned them to the nest and placed them carefully back in their little home ( the whole time being buzzed and chided by the parents), as soon as I turned away from the nest, they started jumping out again. At that point I realized they werent falling out but jumping out because it was time to leave....and decided the best thing i could do to help them was to let them go and set up a perimeter that the cats could not get through. So I got my hose and a  lawn chair and settled in for a full day of guard duty, thankfully my roomie brought me iced tea occasionally, by evening the little ones had mastered their wings enough to get up off the gound and up into the lows limbs of the trees. I felt like a proud papa and felt like I had really contributed to something that day by keeping all the cats at bay whle the chicks were able to get in the trees. They all stayed around the yard for a few more days and finally after they were all flying like pros I didnt see them anymore.

The nest is still in my window and i wonder if any will be back this year
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Basquo

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 12:29:32 pm »
Last night I discovered that the dove who raised two broods in my English ivy last year is back. We're not having that this year. I unhung the plant and threw out her sickly little twigpile of a nest. I don't like the doves because instead of just flying away when I go out onto the terrace, they try to lay low until I get to close for comfort, then they fly off clumsily, screaming, and scare the crap out of me. She can take her whiny tail elsewhere and build a bad nest. This ain't the biodome.

Offline poz1970

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 09:15:45 am »
Oh I love the Wrens! Last year I had a pair build a nest in the corner of my window, it was so much fun watching them build their nest, they would bring sticks in and then stamp them down by jumping on them. I was amazed at how the nest had to be "just right". I was immediately hooked...I even put cotton balls out in the yard for them to use

A few weeks later I heard tiny peeps coming from the nest and after inspecting the nest I found 4 little birds. We have alot of cats in the nieghborhood so I kept a watch out for any trying to get at the nest....this soon turned into all out sentry duty and I soon found myself armed with a hose, many a cat had an unexpected bath due to my new found duties.

One morning my roomie came running into the house saying the birds had fallen out of the nest and needed help, so I went out and tried to keep them corraled as my roomie found a box, they could fly short distances and were hopping and jumping about so it was quite a sight to see me trying to get them all in the box. Finally I had all 4 in the box and I returned them to the nest and placed them carefully back in their little home ( the whole time being buzzed and chided by the parents), as soon as I turned away from the nest, they started jumping out again. At that point I realized they werent falling out but jumping out because it was time to leave....and decided the best thing i could do to help them was to let them go and set up a perimeter that the cats could not get through. So I got my hose and a  lawn chair and settled in for a full day of guard duty, thankfully my roomie brought me iced tea occasionally, by evening the little ones had mastered their wings enough to get up off the gound and up into the lows limbs of the trees. I felt like a proud papa and felt like I had really contributed to something that day by keeping all the cats at bay whle the chicks were able to get in the trees. They all stayed around the yard for a few more days and finally after they were all flying like pros I didnt see them anymore.

The nest is still in my window and i wonder if any will be back this year

thats so beautiful :-) thank you for sharing :-))

J
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 09:20:39 am »
They totally messed up Tippi Hedren's chic green suit in THE BIRDS. Just sayin'....
Andy Velez

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 05:43:48 pm »
They totally messed up Tippi Hedren's chic green suit in THE BIRDS. Just sayin'....

The house and the school used in the film are in a different town (about 5 miles inland).  The woman who owns the cafe where the cast ate their meals still cooks every day but as far as Tippi Hedren's dress, there is still no dry cleaner in Bodega Bay   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Basquo

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 12:14:32 pm »
Look who snuck in overnight and started laying eggs...sneaky little bitch!

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 01:31:06 pm »
I have 9 exotic birds in my home, imagine the mess i get to clean every day, i also have Cardinals nesting in my outdoor Ficus Tree. 
Buzz ♥

Offline Basquo

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 02:19:15 pm »
Yeah, I've noticed cardinals aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, but I bet they make better nests than doves, huh?

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 08:19:18 am »
They love to look at themselves in my side view mirrors of my car when its in the driveway, very vain birds I guess  :)
Buzz ♥

Offline fearless

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 10:09:03 pm »
My new abode is teeming with rainbow lorikeets. They are a stunning looking bird and fun to watch as they have a very playfull personality.

Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Basquo

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 11:11:20 pm »
Great, I get the birds that are good for nothing but sacred makeup for geisha and Little Steven gets the rainbow playthings!  No fair!  ;) :D

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 08:49:15 am »
Hi Fearless,

Nice pic, where are you at that Lorikeets fly free?  I believe these are fruit eating birds and their poop is projectile, a lot of people who buy them in pet stores end up bringing them back because of this.  I would love to have these birds nesting in one of my trees.
Buzz ♥

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.