Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:54:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 348
Total: 348

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My little HIV diagnosis story :)  (Read 22334 times)

Offline walkingpoz

My little HIV diagnosis story :)
« on: December 14, 2011, 07:07:58 pm »
Hey guys,

I have been visiting these forums a lot the last couple of weeks and decided to register today.

I tested positive in October when I wanted to become a blood plasma donor. I was in shock when they told me and I was hoping that it was just a really bad dream. Turned out it wasn't. The next week I had an appointment at the HIV clinic and they took about 20 blood samples. As of October my CD4 is 554 and VL is 20,893. I'll find out about my HIV's drug resistance in January. If there's no resistance i could start Atripla or Complera. It's easier to take just one pill but I'm a little worried about the side effects and long-term effects. Do you guys know if there's regimens that are safer or have less side effects?

So far I've only told my family about my status. It's funny because when I came out about being gay I told my friends long before I informed my family.

I didn't expect having HIV at all since I have always used protection. Even at the plasma donation office when I was asked to see the doctor (which seemed a little strange to me at that point) I was only thinking that there might be a little problem with my blood or that the blood results are being discussed generally but never about HIV. Back home I did some research and found out about the acute infection phase which occurs in most newly infected people. I was very sick, probably the sickest i have ever been, at the beginning of the year with flu-like symptoms including rash, swollen lymph nodes, nausea etc. The doctor I consulted said it's a streptococcal infection and prescribed me some drugs for that. After 3 or 4 weeks it went away. So I'm pretty sure I got infected shortly before that illness when I was just 20 years old.

The first couple of days I was thinking a lot about that virus and about it being the cause of AIDS and about death but still I never cried for some reason. I know that there's good treatment for HIV but I'm thinking about being positive and its consequences every day like "What if no ARV drug works for me?" or "How am I supposed to find a boyfriend now?" to name just a few of the questions in my head.

Alright, I think that should do it for my first post :)

Have a good one.

Offline Growler

Re: My little HIV diagnosis story :)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 03:34:54 am »
Hi walkingpoz,

Welcome to forums mate. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but it sounds like you're dealing with the news as well as anyone can expect. It's good to hear that you have your family on side and as for your friends, you'll figure out when and indeed if you want disclose to them. Take your time and pick your moment....remember you can't take it back once it's out.

You're going to have both your good and bad days as you learn to deal with being positive, but I promise the good do out weight the bad. True, there's alot of issues to negotiate such as sex, relationships, disclosure, meds etc, but with perhaps a little guidance from these forums you'll figure out what works for you.

I'm new to meds myself, so I'll leave the advice there for others more experienced than I. Ultimately the decision when to begin meds and which combo is right for you will be one that you and your Dr must make. Keep in mind that everyone's experiences with AVR's are individual so you can't rely on others experiences to reflect what happen to you.

I hope you continue to enjoy the forums and we see you around some more.

Cheers
GROWLER
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline walkingpoz

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 08:09:25 am »
Thank you for your nice words, Growler :)

I'm aware that once I disclose my status there's no going back but I'm gonna do it anyway because I don't want that to be a secret.

Cheers

Offline intheusa

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 10:21:52 pm »
If you always used protection how did you get infeected.    I thought protection equals zero risk. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 08:37:26 am »
intheusa, how about you tell us a little about yourself? In all your posts so far, all you have done is demand answers from newly diagnosed people. Bad form at best; leads me to think you're just a Worried Well trying to circumvent posting in the Am I Infected forum at worst. Which is it? Are you just rude or are you someone who should be posting elsewhere?

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline greg_atl

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 06:24:29 am »
Hi walkingpoz,

Welcome to the forums.  Like you I am fairly new here just being diagnosed in late August.  I have been taking Complera since mid to late October and I am fortunate that I have not had any type of side effects except a little insomnia at first.  I had issues with taking Bactrim and the Dr switched me to dapsone, but my cd 4 was 117 when diagnosed and that is why I was taking these meds.  After 1 month or so of taking Complera my cd4 had increased to 210, so it is working, the only thing I find hard is that you have to take it with a meal and with at least 400 calories. 

Good health in 2013.

G
08-27-12 - Results came in as +
09-24-12 - Earliest Dr appt I could get. 7 Test tubes of blood
10-17-12- 2nd Dr visit.. started on Bactrim & Complara - 1 more blood test
CD4 - 117
CD 4 Helper - 10.6%
V/L - 168,240

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.