Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:18:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 243
Total: 244

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Gilead see KP-1461 as a possible cure for HIV  (Read 57989 times)

Offline georgep77

Gilead see KP-1461 as a possible cure for HIV
« on: February 25, 2011, 09:52:03 am »
it successful, it can be envisioned that KP-1461 would be given together with an anti-viral regimen such as Atripla and after a year or so, the viruses could be mutated out of existence and patients could achieve a cure.
The magnitude of disruption from such a technology to the current $12B HIV market would be drastic and completely game changing.

http://www.koronispharma.com/pdf/110126%20Wedbush%20Report%20(Re-%20Gilead-Koronis).pdf
Come on Sangamo,  Geovax,  Bionor immuno, ...Make us happy !!!
+ 2008

Offline xman

Re: Gilead see KP-1461 as a possible cure for HIV
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 01:10:36 pm »
Very interesting. I'm a bit concerned about some terms used in that article like acquire/stifle competitors. Could this mean they intend to stop or alter development?

Offline zadex

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 02:38:03 pm »
I get the impression that if little Koronis was working on yet another long-term therapy, Gilead would be going after merger (if anything), but this is something they would like to "stifle" (their word).

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 04:21:10 pm »
My guess is, if Gilead felt threatened by Koronis, they would buy the rights to the technology, put it in a box and close the lid... for a long time.   Given the less than stellar results from the Koronis studies, Gilead could merely state that additional in-house investigation raised doubts about efficacy and the company has terminated research of KP-1461... simple as that.

If Gilead thought it did work, it would be an ace in their hand, to be ressurected when a credible threat emerged from a competitor.  Remember, commercial companies are in business to maximize profit.  Their fudiciary responsibility is to their shareholders, not their patients.   

This is why public and non-profit funding (like the Gates foundation and Hughes Medical) is so important. They help keep the rest of the industry ethical.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 08:39:44 am »
There are hoardes of scientists at universities and national institutes who play a watchdog role over the pharma industry and any attempt to squash a cure would never work. 

Big Pharma conspiracy theories have some value, cause big pharma can do shitty things.

But lets get real.   
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 05:36:45 pm »
Pass me my deck chair - matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline ppp333

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 10:31:03 pm »
Sounds great but how does it target virus in the reservoirs?

Offline zadex

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 09:29:38 am »
Hi ppp-
I don't know if it will answer your question fully, but there was a lot of discussion about that in the thread
"the return of kp 1461 in 2010"
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=29122.0

Offline georgep77

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 02:44:56 pm »
I get the impression that if little Koronis was working on yet another long-term therapy, Gilead would be going after merger (if anything), but this is something they would like to "stifle" (their word).
Accord to this information some big companies, love stifling competition:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-24/glaxo-accuses-abbott-of-stifling-competition-in-aids-drug-price-increase.html

>:(
Come on Sangamo,  Geovax,  Bionor immuno, ...Make us happy !!!
+ 2008

Offline Malinka

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 12:59:54 am »
You know what the worst is.. is when people tell me there IS already a cure.. but the pharmcompanies don't want to let it out.. I have a hard time believing this. It would get out for sure. But it makes me nervous that so many people are convinced of this. I'm not one for conspiracy theories.. and obviously a cure is very important to me.  It seems like they're just one small breakthrough away from it... but it's very elusive *_*

Offline surf18

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 05:20:18 am »
i hear the same thing for cancer too. i put that in the back of my mind and hope that ethics and stuff like that really are in the forfront and that no one could have a cure for these heinous diseases and not let us have them. maybe im naive.

Offline mbpoz6

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 12:03:55 pm »
You know what the worst is.. is when people tell me there IS already a cure.. but the pharmcompanies don't want to let it out.. I have a hard time believing this. It would get out for sure. But it makes me nervous that so many people are convinced of this. I'm not one for conspiracy theories.. and obviously a cure is very important to me.  It seems like they're just one small breakthrough away from it... but it's very elusive *_*
I hate when people say that. Its so dumb to say such a thing.

Offline Sweet_C

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 02:41:16 pm »
I don't see how these companies would be able to keep a cure a secret, with the number of people who are involved in the research.  Also, I think while there is a ton of money to  be made in the treatment, a cure could also be big bucks because of the numbers of people who have it.  Also, you'd probably still have people contracting the virus for many many years.  The first company to come up with the cure would completely shut down all the others, so they may still have an incentive to do the right thing.
Tested positive on September 11, 2008

Offline ppp333

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 03:00:13 pm »
They f**king better do the right thing...and there is major money to be made and on top of it the prestige and notoriety that comes with it..and those that would even think about stifling the possibility should be ashamed...

Offline surf18

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 05:02:07 pm »
As I read this topic a few days ago it got me thinking
When was the last time a disease was cured?

Offline ppp333

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 07:47:06 pm »
I Know u might think otherwise but his name is Timothy Brown and if it can happen to him it can happen to us!

Offline mbpoz6

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 08:08:36 pm »
^Yep. Thats right ppp333. I like the positive thinking!

4 years later and Timothy Brown still aint got no HIV! It can definitely happen to us. Only time will tell.

Things will only get better as time goes on. It went from people dying like crazy with HIV.....to taking 20+ pills a day to stay alive...... to taking like 10 pills a day...... to a just a few a day....... and now some people take just as little as one a day. Side effects went from super nasty... to mostly tolerable (depending on the med of course).

Whats the next step? Once a week pill? Once a month? A quarterly/semi-annually/annual vaccine like a flu shot? Or even better....Eradication! Who knows? Only time will tell but I'm optimistic things will change soon.  :) I don't talk like this usually. I'm usually the one to complain but lately Ive been doing a lot of thinking.... and things could be worse, but its not. Thank god.

Offline ppp333

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 09:22:47 pm »
I do hope ur right...but back to the thread, what is currently going on with KP1461? Are theytrying to raise money for another trial? Would any human participate in this? I mean this is some heavy duty shit but it could be lead to the C word...right now im hoping for this, Sangamo, and still hoping for Dr. sudhir Paul...the race continues I just wish thy would go faster and I know I've not had this long but even being poz for a day is long enough...

Offline Malinka

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 03:10:52 pm »
I really do feel like it's just around the corner..

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 12:29:19 am »
My take is that if a company like GILD that's already making a TON of $$$ from HIV were to sense a real threat, it wouldn't be that they "hide" a cure... they could acquire it and drastically slow down the already slow path to learning if it really works. 

I truly doubt if a cure was proven, that it would be kept from the public... too many people involved in trials would know about it to keep it a secret.

Offline ppp333

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 10:36:26 am »
Does anyone know what is currently being done with KP1461 today? R they looking for investors or r they looking for candidates for a trial...?

Offline xman

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 09:38:13 pm »
In any case reading carefully the article of Wedbush it seems that analysts are recommending Gilead to concentrate future investments in other areas like HCV and IPF in consideration of a likely HIV franchise cliff that Gilead could face in the next years.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 10:56:14 pm by xman »

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, 04:06:20 pm »
Given the recent drug price increases effected by Gilead, they seem to be anticipating an end to the HIV gravy train.  True to their fudiciary duty to the shareholders, they are trying to get as much $$$ out of their HIV franchise while they still can.  They could expect any or all of the following;  a cure, therapeutic long-term treatment, or less costly generics as patents expire.

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2011, 06:18:50 pm »
The most recent financing will be used to conduct Phase II clinical trials. If the trials are successful, Elmer said the company will make a determination whether to partner with a larger pharmaceutical company or to continue going alone with later-stage research.

Of course as a venture capitalist, Elmer knows that multiple problems can arise for an early stage drug company. And that's part of the reason he is trying to guard his optimism.

"We are feeling pretty good about it right now, but we will have to wait and see," he said.

Source

Several series of in vitro experiments were done in cell cultures, using a very nasty strain of HIV, a homogeneous, highly fit virus. And after an average 15 serial passages, that virus was irreversibly extinguished--repeatedly. Repeated, published experiments have demonstrated that you can collapse the viral population with KP-1461.

Source

In conclusion:
  • Koronis' HIV drug draws funding ($20 million to be used for studies)
  • in vitro experiments have demonstrated that you can collapse the viral population with KP-1461
  • Gilead see KP-1461 as a possible cure for HIV

Reasons to hopes for sure. And if confirmed by the trials results of the new Phase II to come, Koronis won't let the KP-1461 to be buried, even by big pharma let say having bought them:

Nobel Price, saving the world from a deadly virus and still, big money, etc

If KP-1461 is a cure, we will know it sooner or later no matter the scenario, I bet.

Offline freaky_dream

• mmm
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2011, 04:38:59 am »
It is my belief that most drug companies are starting to realize that a cure for HIV is an inevitability and is only a matter of time. The Berlin patient is proof that a cure which was once thought unattainable is a reachable reality. Granted we won't be using the same technique but it is evidence that the virus can at least be eliminated. And like John says if they can be the one to do it first then they will reap a big PR coup not to mention licensing the drug.

Offline pozoz

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2011, 05:06:20 am »
This is very exciting news...

I went to the web site for the company http://www.koronispharma.com/index.html and had a look around.

Does anyone know whats happened to the people involved in the trials? Did they just say "thanks for the help, see ya later?"

Either way, the whole concept of "wearing out the virus" until it's useless look promising. I hope they get the investors/funding they need and get on with it....
Seroconverted Aug 2008
Tested Pos      May 2009
Verimune XR / Descovy
 576  34%. U/D

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2011, 01:49:09 pm »
Hi pozoz

Previous clinical trials has shown:

- KP-1461 repeatedly caused a permanent eradication of HIV in vitro
- No evidences of drug resistances to KP-1461
- KP-1461 is safe and well tolerated over 80 patients in these early human clinical trials
- Conclusive evidences that KP-1461 cause a significantly increase rate of mutations formations in HIV in early human clinical trials

And that's what has been observed in the clinical trials participants (3 class drugs resistant at entry):
no cure, but a significant  increase rate of mutations formations in HIV (124 days trial)

Koronis need now a sophisticated development partner to complete late stage development (full-scale phase II, one or more phase III for regulatory approval)

Now, Koronis draws funding ($20 million to be used for studies) so the second Phase II can start.

This second Phase II have to answer to the following questions:

1. Is KP-1461 able to produce a meaningful reduction in VL?
2. What kind of optimized treatment we will need to get this VL drop?

It's during this new phase II that they will be able to conclude whether or not KP-1461 might or not lead to a cure, be use as a new treatment option, or can be forgotten.

If successful, then the Phase III can start. It will have to compare KP-1461 results against other standard available treatments.

Still a long way to go. The only things we can enjoy now, is the results we already get plus hopes.

Offline pozoz

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2011, 09:11:57 pm »
Hi pozoz

Previous clinical trials has shown:

- KP-1461 repeatedly caused a permanent eradication of HIV in vitro
- No evidences of drug resistances to KP-1461
- KP-1461 is safe and well tolerated over 80 patients in these early human clinical trials
- Conclusive evidences that KP-1461 cause a significantly increase rate of mutations formations in HIV in early human clinical trials

And that's what has been observed in the clinical trials participants (3 class drugs resistant at entry):
no cure, but a significant  increase rate of mutations formations in HIV (124 days trial)

Koronis need now a sophisticated development partner to complete late stage development (full-scale phase II, one or more phase III for regulatory approval)

Now, Koronis draws funding ($20 million to be used for studies) so the second Phase II can start.

This second Phase II have to answer to the following questions:

1. Is KP-1461 able to produce a meaningful reduction in VL?
2. What kind of optimized treatment we will need to get this VL drop?

It's during this new phase II that they will be able to conclude whether or not KP-1461 might or not lead to a cure, be use as a new treatment option, or can be forgotten.

If successful, then the Phase III can start. It will have to compare KP-1461 results against other standard available treatments.

Still a long way to go. The only things we can enjoy now, is the results we already get plus hopes.

Cheers John,

Definetely agree we can all be hopefull about this. Something worth following for sure.
I probably would try to get in the trial if I was in the states. Because that's not possible I'd like to thank all those who will be doing the trials for all our benefit, and of course all those who have done so in the past.
Seroconverted Aug 2008
Tested Pos      May 2009
Verimune XR / Descovy
 576  34%. U/D

Offline next2u

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2011, 09:45:42 pm »
for reals?
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline SunnyFlorida

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2011, 07:12:09 pm »
I've been following this study a bit closely since, if it delivers what it promises, would make millions of people very happy. I looked at this site:

http://www.koronispharma.com/clinicaltrials.html
Phase 2a Trial
An Open-label, Multicenter, Mechanism Validation Study to Evaluate the Safety, Efficacy, and Tolerability of KP-1461 as Monotherapy for 124 Days in ARV-experienced, HIV-1-infected Subjects.  This study enrolled 27 of the 32 subjects targeted for the trial.  Koronis stopped this trial prior to complete enrollment in order to conduct in vitro serial passage studies, which have confirmed HIV ablation consistent with original preclinical results.  The trial closure was not requested or required by the FDA and was not related to any safety concerns or adverse events during the trial.  KP-1461 was shown to be well tolerated.  Results also demonstrated drug activity as subjects treated with KP-1461 had an increased frequency of HIV mutations that were statistically significant as compared to a separate control group.

It seems that the Phase 2a trial has been suspended, though I don't really understand why. In fact, I can't tell if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Could someone clarify, please? Thanks!

Offline geobee

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2011, 08:04:33 pm »
As I remember it, there was some issue with Koronis not being able to repeat their earlier in vitro results.  So they went back and re-ran their tests.  Looks like the got a result similar to their first results -- good news.

Offline SunnyFlorida

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2011, 08:17:34 pm »
As I remember it, there was some issue with Koronis not being able to repeat their earlier in vitro results.  So they went back and re-ran their tests.  Looks like the got a result similar to their first results -- good news.

Ah, that's very good news. Thanks for the clarification. I'm afraid I'm not so well versed with medical speak. :) Keeping fingers crossed!

Offline sam66

• Keep The Faith ; Fight The Fight
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2011, 04:45:17 am »

So, like Karl Marx said " capitalism carries the seeds of it's own destruction "

HIV's strength ( its ability to mutate rapidly ) could also be its weakness .

HIV carries the seeds of its destruction in its DNA

Interesting, hope so
december 2007 diagnosed +ve ,

Offline xman

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2011, 12:44:55 pm »
if they are no risks for the host it should work at least in theory.

Offline SunnyFlorida

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2011, 08:47:58 pm »
The concept behind KP-1461 is so basic, I bet the people that developed it slapped their foreheads and exclaimed "Of course, this is so simple!"

The premise is that it encourages the HIV virus to continually and rapidly mutate in random ways, making it worthless in that it cannot reproduce or infect. From what I understood of the Phase II clinical trials, patients were given KP-1461 and Atripla for a year - KP-1461 to damage the viruses already in the system and Atripla to keep the viruses from reproducing as much as possible.

The original version of this post said that 80+ people were cured of HIV... this was wrong, and I apologize. What it really meant was that these people were able to tolerate the medication and it showed a very high rate of mutation of HIV. Here's a link with some better information on what's going on.

The day this drug is released to the public, I will shed happy tears for the millions of poz people living with HIV, including my friends. Definitely keeping my fingers crossed for this one...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 09:39:12 pm by SunnyFlorida »

Offline buginme2

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2011, 02:05:23 pm »
How does this deal with latent reserves?
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline ppp333

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2011, 02:45:54 pm »
How will the scientist or doctors know when the drug can be stopped and viral ablation or collapse has happened and that one can stop KP and Atripla.   

Offline jeezx

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2011, 09:03:14 am »

Koronis Appoints Rondaxe To Secure Commercialization Partner For KP-1461, Possible
Cure For HIV

http://www.pacifichorizon.com/news/1944423439100428%20Koronis%20Rondaxe%20Agreement%20Press%20Release.pdf

(Syracuse, NY. – April 28, 2010) – Rondaxe Enterprises, LLC, announced today that it has
entered into an agreement with Koronis Pharmaceuticals to secure a commercialization partner to
advance an HIV drug known as KP-1461.  KP-1461 is currently in phase II clinical trials and is
demonstrating remarkable potential to alter the treatment paradigm for HIV.

“If approved, KP-1461 could significantly advance the treatment of HIV over currently available
agents, and lead to a cure, rather than today’s chronic treatment of the disease,” said Rondaxe’s
James Bergey, Ph.D., who is leading the project. ...

could this be the real deal?

Offline SunnyFlorida

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2011, 11:49:50 am »
I hope so, I really freakin' hope so!

Offline Patrick

• Where the determination is, the way can be found.
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2011, 09:50:57 pm »
I would really like to understand how KP-1461 deals with the virus in the reservoirs.  It seems to me that unless there is a specific mechanism of action that allows the drug to reach the reservoirs, that the virus in these reservoirs would remain untouched and unmutated.  In that case, I guess KP-1461 would just be another med, albeit one that the virus cannot develop resistance to (which would be a wonderful improvement).

Can someone clear this up for me?
Seroconversion - late October 07
11/14/07 - CD4 190   VL >750,000
11/14/07 - Started Truvada & Kaletra
12/5/07 - CD4 851     VL 710
2/19/08 - CD4 604     VL Undetectable
5/8/08 -   CD4 829     VL Undetectable
8/12/08 - CD4 915     VL 80 (blip)
11/11/08 - CD4 967    VL Undetectable

Offline SunnyFlorida

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2011, 10:17:04 pm »
From what I understand, KP-1461 is used in combination with another treatment like Atripla, Btripla or the combination therapies out there. Atripla to reduce the viral load, and KP-1461 to damage the viruses themselves by causing them to mutate excessively. Basically, this combination situation causes the viruses in the reservoirs to be released, thereby be vulnerable to KP-1461 and the other meds.

Offline vaboi

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2011, 04:37:19 am »
I wouldn't be getting to optimistic here. Great that it can cause highly mutated strains of the virus that is actually replicating, but what about the virus that isn't? The main problem with being able to eradicate HIV are the latent cells that it can hide out in.  How is taking a medication that can encourage mutations getting HIV out of these cells?  Also, wouldn't all these mutations make it even more possible to become resistant to other drugs that you might otherwise be taking to control the virus?  So I'd be very cautious before being sold on an idea such as this.  Yes, it would work nicely in a system with no latent cells, sure.  But unfortunately, that's not reality with HIV.  I guess if all you have in your body is a strain that is already resistant to most drugs out there, taking this would be a great option.   But I don't see it as a cure unless I'm missing something.

I'm more encouraged by other ideas being researched, such as gene therapy with HIV-resistant CD4's and stem cells, or vaccines that can train the immune system to fight off the virus without the need for medications.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 04:51:18 am by vaboi »

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2011, 08:10:08 pm »
I would really like to understand how KP-1461 deals with the virus in the reservoirs.  It seems to me that unless there is a specific mechanism of action that allows the drug to reach the reservoirs, that the virus in these reservoirs would remain untouched and unmutated.  In that case, I guess KP-1461 would just be another med, albeit one that the virus cannot develop resistance to (which would be a wonderful improvement).

This is an excellent point. After an in-depth conversation with some of the Koronis folks, I'm no closer to understanding how KP-1461 will somehow achieve either a sterilizing or or functional cure, nor am I understanding any of the potential clinical benefits of this agent. The public relations surround this drug appears much more solid than the science. While I understand that PR and resulting press is necessary to spark investment needed to conducted additional Phase II studies looking at clinical efficacy -- which thus far hasn't been demonstrated (a high mutation rate hasn't been proven to be a surrogate marker of anything) -- simply because the word "cure" makes its way into media reports doesn't necessarily make it so.

Once there's proof of concept, we'll all have a lot more to talk about. But we're not there yet, period.

Tim 

Offline Nate

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2011, 05:31:43 am »
Well, In my opinion...

Until they are half way through Phase 3 research...I wouldnt get my panties in a bunch and overly excited...I have seen sooooooo many trials DIE in late Phase 2 early Phase 3...

Everything looks GOD DAM GREAT when your in Phase 1 and looking for Investors...but I see too many times that after that happens, and the money is in the door... HASTA LA VISTA BAY-BEE !  :-*
I take Candy from Strangers ;-p

Offline Mark Fromhold

« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2011, 12:37:17 pm »
As the VP Manufacturing & Business Development at Koronis, I wanted to respond to the number of questions/comments on this forum concerning KP-1461’s impact on the virus in the latent reservoirs.

KP-1461 is effective against viruses which are actively replicating.  Therefore, if latent reservoirs of virus are activated, this will also enable KP-1461 to be incorporated into these viral genomes and cause progressively deleterious mutations.  While the effect of these mutations is not immediate, it stands to reason that successive cycles of reservoir activation in the presence of a VDA agent will result in progressively weakened viruses seeding subsequent reservoirs until the weakened virus is no longer able to elicit a productive infection.  Therefore, we believe that use of KP-1461 in conjunction with a compound that activates the latent reservoir could eventually provide a sustained virologic response. 

In closing, it is important to note that although there is considerable promise with this therapeutic approach, more studies are required to validate the true potential of VDA and KP-1461 in humans.  With this in mind, we are very encouraged by the recently published data from our first Phase 2 study and are actively moving forward with plans for our next study to further evaluate the clinical potential of KP-1461.

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2011, 01:03:52 pm »
I'm a little confused. So Phase 2 has been completed with positive results?

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2011, 01:08:52 pm »
As the VP Manufacturing & Business Development at Koronis, I wanted to respond to the number of questions/comments on this forum concerning KP-1461’s impact on the virus in the latent reservoirs.

KP-1461 is effective against viruses which are actively replicating.  Therefore, if latent reservoirs of virus are activated, this will also enable KP-1461 to be incorporated into these viral genomes and cause progressively deleterious mutations.  While the effect of these mutations is not immediate, it stands to reason that successive cycles of reservoir activation in the presence of a VDA agent will result in progressively weakened viruses seeding subsequent reservoirs until the weakened virus is no longer able to elicit a productive infection.  Therefore, we believe that use of KP-1461 in conjunction with a compound that activates the latent reservoir could eventually provide a sustained virologic response. 

In closing, it is important to note that although there is considerable promise with this therapeutic approach, more studies are required to validate the true potential of VDA and KP-1461 in humans.  With this in mind, we are very encouraged by the recently published data from our first Phase 2 study and are actively moving forward with plans for our next study to further evaluate the clinical potential of KP-1461.

Hello Mr. Fromhold:
Thank you for posting this information - it sounds very encouraging.  I'm not sure if a missed it or not, but are there thoughts as to how to activate the latent reservoirs, or would this occur as a result of depleting the non-latent active reservoirs.  Also, in regards to response time for the successive cycles to be activated and eliminated - is there any idea of how long that would take and/or how long the treatment would need to be to completely eradicate the virus, including the latent resorvoirs from the body?

Thanks again for your response and the work you all are doing.

-Phil
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2011, 01:53:30 pm »

I was under the impression that if we could activate the viral reservoirs then currently existing HAART would do a fine job of destroying the virus.  Is that not the case?

Offline forestx

• Standard
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2011, 12:50:43 pm »
Obviously all progress towards a cure is welcomed and I am confidentent a "funtional" cure could come about in the next 5 years (at least in the west)
However as we all now there is a masive sigma with this illness that exists in no other and untiil they can STOP 100% the spread of the disease, so that you can not pass on the virus (in sex at least) the sigma will continue and QoL will continue to be low

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.