Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:16:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 503
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 472
Total: 473

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: CD4 results  (Read 3525 times)

Offline jay4367

CD4 results
« on: October 25, 2006, 01:11:15 am »
I am an American living in Thailand with my 21 year old Thai partner who recently tested pos for HIV. He has just received the results of his first CD4 test which shows CD4 as 14% and absolute 245. It also shows Lymphocyte as 24% and absolute 1752. The WBC is 7300, Hb 12.9 and Hct. 39.6. I do not understand what all this means except I have read on many websites that treatment should start when the CD4 is lower than 250 absolute and/or 20%. The doctor at the free government has told him that because his WBC is high it is not necessary to start treatment, to wait until he becomes sick. This sounds crazy to me and this reasoning is because the government treatment is free they are trying to reduce cost. We need advice.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: CD4 results
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 06:45:45 am »
Hi Jay,

I would agree with you that with his numbers, especially that low CD4%, it's time to think about meds. It might be that the doc wants more than one result to go by, so you might want to ask about that. I've never heard of a doctor basing the decision to go on meds or not on the WBC count - it's normally the CD4 and viral load that is important.

Please check out the Welome Thread found at the top of the Living With forum. There you'll find links to other parts of this website, like the Lessons. In the Lessons you'll find a section that will explain what all those different lab results mean. If you still have further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! Please feel free to start a thread in the Living forum to introduce yourself. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 07:36:29 am »
hi jay (and partner), welcome  :)

current WHO guidelines recommend that people with cd4 counts at or below 200 should be on/offered antiretroviral meds(& prophylactic meds,as available/appropriate) Above this point, (in situations where resources are limited) the decision to treat will be more often based on the presence, type, and severity of symptoms - ie diarrhea, infections, weight loss etc. WBC/lymphocyte counts etc are not very accurate ways to predict/decide need for arv's -  especially when better, accurate diagnostic tools, like CD4 measurements are available, as for your partner.

if this is a first set of labs, & your partner is otherwise well, then as ann says, having at least one more set of results (in the next couple of months if possible) to guide treatment decisions would be useful.

good luck to you both - let us know how things are going

kate

( i did have a nice link to who/thai treatment guidelines, in plain english, but first post didn't work...will have another look for it though)

« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 08:54:34 am by penguin »

Offline felix

• keeping a positive attitude
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 11:25:02 am »
Hi
My counts are pretty shot (CD4 <90), but I look okay, however I have lymphoma (NHL- plasmablastic) and my bone marrow has been given the kick in the bone by chemo recently, sometimes looks aint what they seem.  I have sever problems but cope, but all I'm saying is don't always trust how one looks - if your friend needs help sometimes he may need it but not look  as if he does. Help him with which ever way you can and bless you both - Felix

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.