Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:17:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 231
Total: 233

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Good News & Question about Atripla  (Read 10830 times)

Offline Pammypoo

Good News & Question about Atripla
« on: July 21, 2009, 06:01:28 pm »
So I went to the ID doc today for the first time. She said my numbers were great! I know my VL was 3800, but I cant remember what my CD4 # was (I know I should have wrote it down..I am going to call them tomorrow so I will know for sure)...but it was really good as well. She said that the CDC doesn't even recommend starting treatmeant with numbers as good as mine. However she does recommend it. I agreed that starting now makes more sense then waiting till the numbers go up. (Anyone with any thoughts on that)? So I go tomorrow morning for another set of bloodwork, and then I am going to start on Atripla tomorrow night. She said the biggest side effect that she knows of is nightmares. She said to take it right before bed. Anyone else taking this? Anything I should look for? She said she sees no reason for me not to return to work so I guess I will go back on Monday. I want a couple days at least taking the meds to see how I will react to them before going back to work.

I have been thru such an emotional roller coaster ever since finding out I was poz, and now I really feel good about my future. I can probably live a long healthy normal life!!

Thank you all for your support and guidance!!

Offline simplyme

Re: Good News & Question about Atripla
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 06:10:44 pm »
Ive been on atripila for at least 5 years now and  I tolerate it well. My numbers are wonderful; although I've heard that it has been known to cause nightmares, I havent experienced any  Thank God!!! I do dream alot but thats not a bad thing. I have no complaints at all. Good Luck with your new regime.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 06:16:01 pm »
Pammy, it's the Sustiva in the Atripla that can cause "weird" sensations sometimes.  You're not supposed to eat anything with a high fat content in it before going to bed. 

It may make you feel kind of sluggish, especially if you get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.  So, be safe.  Of course, not everyone experiences side effects with meds, or different ones (side effects). 

I'm not going to talk about my experience with Sustiva.

Number wise, I wouldn't want to start meds until my numbers slipped below 250.  But, that's me.  Of course, I've been on meds since about, oh, 1991 due to the HIV progressing to Aids pretty fast back then.  Thank heavens the meds are better now. 

Anyway, good luck.  Don't be afraid to ask questions or discuss your experience. :)
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Pammypoo

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 06:23:06 pm »
Thank you both for the replies...now when you talk about the side effects. If I take at night before going to bed, will I be ok in the morning? I get up early and have to be to work by 8:30...well the effects still be there? And do the effects get better after a few weeks of taking it, I think I read that somewhere?

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 06:26:00 pm »
Pammy, everyone's different, so it's hard to say exactly what's going to happen to you.  I've heard from other people that once you shake off the morning drawls, the side effects are minimal.

And yes, the side effects are supposed to get better with time.  Again, everything's an individual response (many different individuals).

Betty

P.S. You're welcome to join us in the ladie's thread-"Summer Breeze." :)
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline newbie05

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 06:39:28 pm »
I take Atripla each evening between 9-10. I wake up at 5 each morning for work. The only time I really feel tired in the morning is when I have had a couple of drinks the night before.  I am always sure to stop any food or alcohol 2 hours previous to atripla time. I have never had nightmares....just dream a lot.

Offline Pammypoo

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 06:48:21 pm »
I take Atripla each evening between 9-10. I wake up at 5 each morning for work. The only time I really feel tired in the morning is when I have had a couple of drinks the night before.  I am always sure to stop any food or alcohol 2 hours previous to atripla time. I have never had nightmares....just dream a lot.
That sounds encouraging...since I rarely ever drink. I have been taking ativan and it has kinda been helping me sleep, I wonder if I should still take it at night or not. Also I take adderall for ADD I didnt think to ask the doc if that matters either way.

Offline newbie05

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 07:28:55 pm »
I rarely drink, except for my margaritas on Friday ;) My advise is to take your Atripla before bed. Nothing to worry about while you sleep. I find that about 1/2 hour after I take it, I get sleepy. Never have problems falling asleep.

Offline missy

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 08:53:27 pm »
Pammy , I have been on Atripla now for about 2 years. I felt a little sluggish when I first started taking it but that was gone in a couple of weeks. I never had nightmares but I do have very vivid dreams, sometimes they are pretty cool. You should ask our Doc about the other meds he can tell you if they will mix OK.  My PCP put me on sleeping pills for a while when I was having trouble sleeping but I never had a problem waking up with them  and the atripla.  So good luck and let us know how it goes.  Jump in to the summer breeze subject and keep us posted.  It is a great support group and everyone is wonderful.  Mary

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 09:27:20 pm »
Pammy, I've been on Atripla for about 6 weeks.  I am fortunate in the respect that from day one I haven't had any side effects, with the exception of a minor rash on my arms that lasted less than two days (caused probably by the Sustiva).  If I have had any vivid dreams they have been actually good --such as running a marathon with other HIVers a couple of nights ago, and another one where I was back with someone that I love dearly hanging out with Zora Neale Hurston and another female dead writer, but no nightmares thus far.  

What I advise is that you definitely follow the directions of taking it before bedtime, empty stomach (and let your last meal be low in fatty content).  Stay hydrated since this is one potent little pill.   Side effects can vary though; our bodies react differently to different things.  You will hear different experiences from other members of the forum.  Some are like mine, with virtually nothing but good things to say; others not so good (I've seen one of our peers calling it "Acripla" as he apparently had a difficult time with it).

One thing you will read for sure is that this medication has a great impact upon the viral load in a rather short time-span (just browse through some recent posts and you will be quite encouraged).  

Best of luck and please keep us updated!

« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 09:29:18 pm by livebythemoon »
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 11:31:41 am »

I am going to jump in here, I was tested poz 7/2/09, I just went to see my ID doc on 7/21, my CD4 was around 910, and VL was 3800. My doc told me that the CDC doesn't recommend starting treatment because my numbers were so good, but she believes and I agreed with her that we should start. My thought is why wait until the numbers get really bad, why not start fighting this now. She told me that years ago the problem was that you could become immune to the meds and there wasn't as many options back then, she said now there are so many different kinds of meds and with today's advances that that would not be a problem. Now after reading here I am questioning my decision somewhat. Being so new to this maybe I should have researched options more before agreeing with her. I am starting on Atripla tonight for the first time.
Good luck to you, just keep what your doing asking questions and doing research to find the right answer for you.

Hi Pam,

I've quoted your above post from a different thread so I could respond here as well, to make sure you see it.

If you're questioning your decision to start, you can still wait. Just because you're already in possession of the meds doesn't mean you have to use them. With your numbers, you do have the luxury of time in which to become more knowledgeable. Once you start, you're stuck with your decision. It's better to start when you're SURE it's the right time and right decision for you.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Sheri

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 02:14:06 pm »
Hi Pammy,

My daughter has been on Sustiva and Truvada (basically Atripla, just broken down into several pills rather than one) for over two years now.  Her numbers are great on it.  But...initially, she experienced the whole crazy dreams thing, along with a facial rash (not a severe one, though).  Those side effects went away after a little while.  The only thing that I wonder about is she sometimes seems to experience what appear to be "brain fog" moments.  I don't know whether to attribute that to the meds or to other things, but it seems to have coincided with the time period in which she started taking it.  But...healthwise, she has done well.  (She is a child, though.)

Offline Pammypoo

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 03:12:56 pm »
Thanks to all for your advice and thoughts, I have decided I am going to start taking it. I have it and plan to start taking it tonight. I will keep you all posted on how it goes.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Offline missy

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 03:49:48 pm »
I am kind of surprised you ID Doc already started you on the meds.  After I was on them for 2 years and my numbers remained low My doc took me off all the meds.  It took about 8 months for my numbers to start going up again but they finally did then he put me on Atripla.  I hope all goes well for you keep a positive outlook!

Offline Pammypoo

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 07:23:46 pm »
Missy after all I have heard and read I am confused about why they would take you off of meds. It is my understanding that once starting meds that's it you are on them forever. I am  very new to all this and maybe I am wrong and someone please correct me, but I thought by stopping and starting meds that it might cause your body to become immune to the meds.

Offline missy

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 08:41:36 pm »
I am not exactly sure why but I was poz less than one year and the doc decided to stop the meds to see what would happen and how long I would stay undetected. I knew I would go back on themeds but just not sure when. He monitored me every 2 months with blood tests and office visits because I was worried about getting sick again because when I had seroconversion, I was really sick. Everyone is different but this was all done under my ID doc.  I have been on Atripla now for several years and my viral load is undetectable and my CD4 is 500.   So hen I go next month I will ask him why he took me off the meds.  Mary

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.