Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:50:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773202
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 554
Total: 557

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: unfriendly HIV doctors  (Read 5336 times)

Offline elf

unfriendly HIV doctors
« on: June 22, 2009, 08:05:12 pm »
Hi
I'm sorry if this issue has already been discussed (I couldn't find it)...
What do you think about unfriendly HIV doctors (I.D. doctors
that would like to deal with tropical diseases or something like that instead
but they ended up being at an HIV clinic)  :-\

My I.D. doc recommended this site to me: http://www.hopkins-hivguide.org/q_a/patient/recent_questions/italian_study.html?contentInstanceId=486543&siteId=7151 , but the way doctors there answer questions is very impolite (to avoid using a stronger word),
so different than professionals on thebody.com...

If they don't like answering questions, why don't they close their ''Q&A'' section.
They're just ruining the image of their institution...

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: unfriendly HIV doctors
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 08:40:23 pm »
Hi,

I've used the John Hopkins site before, to ask a question. I never had a problem. I think he answers questions honestly, directly and with no BS. I think he does a great job , and gets right to the point.

http://www.hopkins-hivguide.org/q_a/index.html?categoryId=9352&siteId=7151

Ray
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 08:44:43 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mpositive

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 09:18:06 pm »
I thin k this Gallant doctor was dead on honest.  I saw nothing at all wrong with his responses. 

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 10:11:10 pm »
I can tell you that Dr. Gallant helped me through alot in the early days of my diagnosis.  He helped me with my resistance testing result -- finding some resistance that the lab never reported.  If I lived closer to Baltimore I would do everything I could to get into his practice.  This man knows his stuff and, at least from what I read online, has a great approach to people.

Mike

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 10:45:33 pm »
This linked thread and Dr. Gallant's replies are a perfect example of how utterly unreasonable many newly diagnosed patients are.  I'm sorry if that offends you elf, but it's true.  I've seen it over and over, not only on the AIDSmeds forums but elsewhere in support groups, these types that fixate on a cure thinking it's a few years away and if only... only... only.  In fact, it's actually galling that this in-demand doctor is sitting there kindly answering questions on the internet, something that hardly any doctors do, and yet he gets bitch slapped around for NOT doing that which he is accused of.

Perhaps you should take the time to channel your post-diagnosis depression in a more productive manner?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline joemutt

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 11:29:42 pm »
I thought the doctor's answers were sound. He's a sciientist
not a hope peddler.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 12:57:17 am »
I didn't find anything objectional in the doctor's posts. Basically the person asking the question got upset because he didn't get the answer he or she wanted.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 02:49:13 am »
I'm very impressed with Dr. Gallant. The man is a first-class clinician, does treatment research, writes, I believe he also teaches, sits on the committee that comes up with treatment guidelines, etc etc etc. The fact that he diligently and regularly and very intelligently (not to mention patiently) answers questions online is nothing short of remarkable. His breadth of knowledge and experience in treating HIV is so extensive that his site has a separate area where other doctors ask him for advice when they run into more challenging issues with resistance and how to treat certain OIs, etc

You should see some of the crazy questions he gets (along with many excellent ones). Recently someone wrote in saying they regularly hump a pillow until they cum. And they haven't cleaned this dried cum-filled pillow in years and were scared they might get HIV that way. Gallant actually responded to this person, rather than deleting it and ignoring it (although I guess that kind of question provides some levity on the site).

I think if you were to read his Q&A's regularly, Elf, you'd get a better sense of where he's coming from. In my opinion, he's a national treasure. And if you ever find yourself in need of some very knowledgeable advice on anything having to do with HIV/AIDS treatment consider yourself lucky (as I do) that Dr. Gallant is there and will give you a proper answer and usually do so within a day or two.

All that being said, it's important to note that Gallant is, as mentioned above, a first-class clinician whose expertise is in treating HIV/AIDS and although I'm sure he follows to a certain extent what's going on with research toward a cure, it is not his area of expertise. His site is really not the best place for advice on what is the most promising research that may lead to a cure.

I recently asked him to give his opinion about the latest studies that looked at the connection between tenofovir (Viread) and kidney function and he wrote a very detailed and well-thought-out, totally personalized response. This is the kind of response I couldn't get anywhere else, and for free!@ Truly impressive.

LINK:

http://www.hopkins-hivguide.org/q_a/patient/recent_questions/tenofovir_and_kidney_function_-_latest_studies.html?contentInstanceId=488118&siteId=7151
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 06:32:45 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline elf

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 04:51:46 pm »

Perhaps you should take the time to channel your post-diagnosis depression in a more productive manner?

I have no depression, but thanks for your consideration.  :)
Nhf.  My I.D. doc is just as professional, but at least her chief is full of compassion, so whenever I need info on HIV I go talk to him. (My doc just don't like being asked a question, it's not part of her ''routine''  :))

I guess, when I am in the position to help someone, I will try to be less ''direct''.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 05:04:05 pm by elf »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 05:14:00 pm »
So you're just going to disregard the opinions of 100% of the other posters here.  Well, in that case I don't know what else to say.

As far as the depression issue, you yourself said in this other thread that you had a history of depression.  Just sayin' -- preoccupation with an HIV cure is very typical in one's first six months/year post diagnosis.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 05:30:34 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline water duck

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 06:21:55 pm »
In order to better reply your post, i checked what you have posted so far, since being here as of April 27.

Being from Croatia, using your terms  -- a land of hate, civil wars, discrimination.................
--therefore english is not your first language, our background does provide us with different ways of interpretation based on differences in cultural and political situations .

On May 12 , you wrote : i tested positive 8 months ago. You bring up the fact of being 29, in every sense of the word , you are still very 'young' , still having your whole life to live and learn .................

i see you used the term : regression phase ; so please DO NOT feel attacked by Miss Philicia 's : post-diagnosis depression.It is an observation ( a very good one i must say ) not a consideration !!

Not forgetting the thread that you made about being blackmailed on the May 16 !!

You know what you need , A BIG BEAR HUG so you can feel love and safe , so that delicate and 'damaged' psyche of your's can mend.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 06:00:51 pm by water duck »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 08:18:43 pm »
Johns Hopkins site is fine.
Sending a big hug to you in your hostile land.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline elf

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 09:03:22 pm »
Thanks and sorry for overreacting  ;D I'm still a rookie.
I had the same ''issue'' with my I.D. doc  (I talked to my psychologist about her, and the psychologist said:
some doctors are like that: professional)

:) hugs to everyone for helping me on this road,
it sure is a long journey for all of us  :-* but we're gonna make it
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 09:05:42 pm by elf »

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 10:40:23 pm »

:) hugs to everyone for helping me on this road,
it sure is a long journey for all of us  :-* but we're gonna make it

I agree ;)

Offline Luke

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 06:05:21 am »
there answer questions is very impolite (to avoid using a stronger word),

Erm, sorry to say this, but he is one of the professionals on thebody.com

Personally I'd much prefer to deal with a doctor who cuts the crap, and all the lovey-dovey 'let's have a hug' flannel, and just gets straight to the point and tells me what I need to know.  

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 08:41:56 am »

Damn I got a lot of respect for doctor Gallant...   I would have lied to the guy and told him the cure is buried in his backyard and to go dig it up...
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 10:05:16 am »
Yeah, I agree with Ms. P., and everyone else. Especially the doctor. Seriously, it's been 2 decades, and we've gone from pill cocktails, to a pill at night before bed with mild side effects. I agree, progress couldn't GET any faster, ESPECIALLY with a chronic illness like HIV. One that can, for lack of a better wording, have a mind of its own (different strain formations, drug resistance, even the rare superinfection, etc). you don't see things like that with the other chronic illnesses that the doctor mentioned.

I'm Young, newly diagnosed, and I'd much prefer the doctor's answers to a flat out sugar coated satiation any day.
[.Fodão.]

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 11:36:44 pm »
Hi
I'm sorry if this issue has already been discussed (I couldn't find it)...
What do you think about unfriendly HIV doctors (I.D. doctors
that would like to deal with tropical diseases or something like that instead
but they ended up being at an HIV clinic)  :-\

My I.D. doc recommended this site to me: http://www.hopkins-hivguide.org/q_a/patient/recent_questions/italian_study.html?contentInstanceId=486543&siteId=7151 , but the way doctors there answer questions is very impolite (to avoid using a stronger word),

If they don't like answering questions, why don't they close their ''Q&A'' section.
They're just ruining the image of their institution...

If you don't like your doctor find another one.  I doubt that a doctor would go into Infectious Disease practice and dislike gays or people with HIV.   

My old doctor (before I moved) was excellent and very down to earth and knew me, and we often chatted for several minutes about different things.  He was also voted on of the 50 best doctors in a magazine, but I forget which one.  I first started seeing him at a clinic, but I did not like going there because it was too public.  I asked him once if I could see him at his office and he said that it was fine.  The only bad part was that there was  a big turn around in his nursing staff.  Also his head research nurse quit and she was  a wonderful caring person.

My new doctor is fine too.  In fact one time I had an infection and I called and they told me to come right in and I saw her right away.
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.