Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:55:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 305
Total: 306

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Vitamin D Can Help Prevent Hypertension  (Read 3852 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Vitamin D Can Help Prevent Hypertension
« on: June 16, 2013, 03:50:04 am »
Vitamin D Can Help Prevent Hypertension
Editor's Choice
Main Category: Hypertension
Also Included In: Nutrition / Diet
Article Date: 15 Jun 2013 - 0:00 PDT

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/262007.php

The world's largest study to examine the link between vitamin D levels and hypertension has found that low levels of Vitamin D can be a major cause of hypertension.

Researchers presented their findings at the annual conference of the European Society of Human Genetics (ESHG).

Data were gathered from 35 studies, which included more than 155,000 participants from different parts of Europe and North America.

Dr. Vimal Karani S, from the Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, UK, led the study.

Participants with high levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)D) had reduced blood pressure and were at a lower risk of developing hypertension.

Dr. Vimal Karani S, said:

"We knew from earlier observational studies that low 25(OH)D concentrations were likely to be associated with increases in blood pressure and hypertension, but correlation is not causality.

Additionally, randomized controlled trials of vitamin D supplementation in humans have produced inconsistent effects on cardiovascular outcomes. The whole picture was somewhat confused, and we decided to try to figure it out once and for all."

To measure the individuals' vitamin D status and test for an association with blood pressure, the researchers used genetic variations called single nucleotide polymorphisms, or SNPs as proxy markers.

For every 10% increase in 25(OH)D concentrations the researchers noted the risk of developing hypertension decreased by 8.1%.

Dr. Karani S., said that the approach they followed, called Mendelian randomization, allowed them to make accurate conclusions, "by using this approach we can determine the cause and effect and be pretty sure that we've come to the right conclusion on the subject."

The researchers said that Vitamin D deficiency is a very common problem in the Western world, particularly because obesity can cause Vitamin D deficiency and obesity levels are highest in Western countries, according to a study published in a recent issue of PLoS Medicine

Summer Sun Setting Over Hendersyde - geograph.org.uk - 403921
Exposure to sunlight is one of the best ways of obtaining vitamin D.
There are two ways that people can obtain vitamin D:

By eating or drinking it
    By exposing the skin to sunlight, which triggers the production of vitamin D

The liver and the kidneys are then able to convert it to a form that our body can use.

People with high levels of vitamin D in their blood enjoy several benefits, apart from improved bone health. Researchers from Boston University School of Medicine reported in PLOS ONE that people with high levels of vitamin D have significantly better immunity and a reduced risk of several diseases.

Vitamin D insufficiency (between 21-29 ng/mL) and vitamin D deficiency (<20 ng/mL) lead to a heightened risk of:

Autoimmune diseases
    Cancer
    Type 2 diabetes
    Infectious diseases
    Cardiovascular diseases
    Obesity

Dr. Karani said that the study provides further data to support the importance of vitamin D. It suggests that vitamin D supplements or food fortification can significantly reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.

He concluded:

"We now intend to continue this work by examining the causal relationship between vitamin D status and other cardiovascular disease-related outcomes such as lipid-related phenotypes, for example,cholesterol, inflammatory markers such as C-reactive protein, and type 2 diabetes and markers of glucose metabolism.

We believe that we still have a lot to find out about the effect of Vitamin D deficiency on health, and we now know that we have the tools to do so."
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline tednlou2

Re: Vitamin D Can Help Prevent Hypertension
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 02:05:13 am »
My latest level was like 11.  I take a prescription for it and have been getting more sun.  It does seem like I feel better.  I have read so many times that just about every cell in the body uses Vitamin D.  The infectious disease increase was interesting.

Offline elf

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 10:46:23 pm »
Large doses of omega3 do the same. ;)

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 02:12:26 pm »
In case you don't know what your D level is, I suggest you find out. Your doc can add it to your next round of labs---doesn't require fasting---nothing exotic about it.

Two years ago, I was tested and my level was 20. My then-doc said nothing about adding D. In fact I don't recall anything was mentioned about the level being deficient. Meanwhile, I've felt like crap for a very long time.

Someone encouraged me to start taking 10,000IU/day of D3 and I've done so for the past few months. My bloodwork now shows 95. Top end of the "good" range is 100.  So, I'm backing off to 5,000 per day (to prevent going too high).

Reading this post was interesting -- while I somewhat fortunately have low blood pressure, it's good to note more research will continue on the impact of D (or lack thereof).

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.