Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2024, 08:20:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 185
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 97
Total: 97

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: rapid POZ then testing NEG?  (Read 3006 times)

Offline i_am_scared

rapid POZ then testing NEG?
« on: January 11, 2007, 12:12:07 am »
Hi

Thanks to all who replied to my post. I feel much better today. Just got off the phone with my boyfriend and he is feeling very tired.

He's felt tired for the last couple of week.  More so in the last couple of days. I hope it not because of HIV. I think it may have to do with the fact he sleeps only 6 hours a night. this is due to chatting to me on the phone.

What are the chances of testing poz with the rapid test but then get a negative result once the full blood test is done? They claim the rapid test is 99.5% accurate.

What are the reasons someone can test poz with a rapid test but then test negative with a blood test?
Are there knwon cases of this happening?

Thanks
The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it. -- Anonymous

Offline koi1

Re: rapid POZ then testing NEG?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 12:41:54 am »
Hey,

I got a rapid oral swab test and it was a preliminary reactive. I asked the counselor your same question. He was not very hopeful. I was in denial. I then went to another test site the next day where they did a rapid finger prick test. That was also preliminary reactive. He said not to waste time and go to my healthcare provider to start get medical care. Two weeks later I got my western blot ELISA back confirming I was HIV positive with AIDS. Now I am on meds and doing great. Hope to get good labs in a month.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 10:10:24 am »
If you were test and recieved a positive result your doctor/ clinic should have advised you that it will have to sent for a Western Blot to confirm the result. Until then you have not been confirmed as being positive.

Offline i_am_scared

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 12:26:00 am »
my partner was tested with the rapid test 3 days ago and then blood sent to western blot. his rapid test was positive. the clinic said it was 99.5% accurate. we wont get his full results until the 24 january.

he has his first doctors appointment on 30 january.

since then i have done a lot of research. he doesn't seem to want to talk much about it. he was happy to get an appointment with this really good doctor. he was very happy today.

i have ben doing a lot fo research on the net. i am looking at all sources. i have come a cross a lot of information about HIV and how they havnt actually found it.

i have been researching both sides of this arguement and so far the side that doesnt believe HIV causes AIDS has a stronger case? this is making things even more difficult to take in. i mean the french guy who helped find HIV now says that HIV doesnt cause aids. the guy who invented the testing machine invented it not for HIV but for cell research. he is a noble peace prize winner. he believe that HIV doesnt cause AIDS. he said his machine cant tell if a person is HIV positive.

we have agreed to look at all options and arguements. my partner has never been sick or had any symptoms of HIV. he noticed soe small skin rashes but t hey go away after a day or two. he complains that he is getting sore nails (like ingrowns)........which he believe are symptoms of HIV.

i was curious as to what the chance is of having a false positive with the rapid test.
The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it. -- Anonymous

Offline koi1

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 09:40:31 am »
I read the same research when I was in denial. But most of the science communitiy believes in the existence of HIV and AIDS. The denialists are just that denialists. But, this is part of the process that you are going through on your way to acceptance and you are entitled to it. I went through the same exact thing. I looked up th reliabilty of the  tests, and said aha! But then I got more tests at different places and they all concluded the same thing. Plus I got PCP to punctate the deal. Don't let the denialists keep you from seeking care. That is the biggest danger.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.