Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:23:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 223
Total: 225

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Poll

When describing or thinking about your HIV status, do you say -

I am HIV positive?
I am HIV?

Author Topic: How do you word your HIV status?  (Read 44704 times)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: How do you word your HIV status?
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2011, 07:41:10 am »
Ann, is that British, then? Maybe it's a kind of British grammar.  :-\

Nope, if it is any kind of British grammar, it's bad British grammar. I've heard it from Americans as well as Brits.

edited to add "What's up with the fucking grammar police?"

I wouldn't call it a grammar issue so much. It's just weird that someone would tell you they have an illness in such a way as to sound like they are the illness. Like it's been said previously, you never hear someone say "I'm cancer", but it's not uncommon to hear people say "I'm hiv". It's just weird.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2011, 08:45:11 am »
I'm just gonna start telling people I have hives minus the e.s. I know that's stupid..but oh well, who said I was smart anyway...

I don't think it's stupid. I like it. "I've got HIVes, take a few letters." Takes longer to say it, but if you want a person who's quick on decoding vs a blank stare then you've got a brand-new people filtration system.

Offline metekrop

• Is time running fast for you.
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2011, 05:18:21 pm »
Lots of people say "I'm hiv". I've seen it here in the forums many, many times. ... My bf used to say "I'm hiv"

So just like others, your bf was not also correct. 
 ;D
I'm Just kidding...
Diag.on 12/8, 2000, CD 440 VL 44K, No Meds
12/08 - 2/09 CD< 50 & VL >500k hosp'z.
St. Atripla - 7/09 CD 179, VL 197k
10/09 CD 300 VL U
3/10 468 U
8/10 460 U
12/10 492 U
3/11 636 U
8/11 530 U
1/12  616 U
7/12 640 U
12/12 669 U
5/13 711 U
11/13 663 U
4/14  797 U
10/14 810 U
4/15 671 U
10/15 694 U
3/16 768 U
8/16 459 U
2/22 780 U
8/31 940 U
2/26 809 U
8/18 882 U
3/28 718 U
8/15 778 U
2/25 920 70
8/11 793 U
2/22 690 U
6/8 834 U

Offline wolfter

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2011, 05:24:24 pm »
My new phrase when I drink too much white zin is; I'm hangover poz.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2011, 07:00:12 pm »
I will. But not just yet.

I don't want to influence people's responses.

How can you do that?...most people here have a mind of their own and are not easliy influenced, so that's no excuse.

We're still waiting... ???

Don't go holding your breath Joe.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2011, 07:05:14 pm »
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Zohar

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2011, 07:51:04 pm »
Well that's good, seeing as you're the most influential person around here.  

MtD

Someone has to be.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 07:53:30 pm by Zohar »
''Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.''

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2011, 07:52:35 pm »
Someone has to be

I couldn't agree more.

So, when will you share your lofty opinion with we mere members of the AIDSmeds rank-and-file?

MtD

Offline tash08

« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2011, 08:58:23 pm »
I simply state I'm H.I.V positive, saying I'm HIV sounds very foreign to me. I mean it's llike you are not a person but a walking virus.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 09:00:25 pm by tash08 »
01/04/06-HIV-
03/09/06-HIV+
05/07-Atripla
04/01/10 CD4-681, VL-UD
07/10/10 CD4-450, VL-UD
10/10/10 CD4-473, VL-UD
01/21/11 cd4-522, VL-UD
05/02/11 CD4-638, VL-UD <20 copies Hell yeah!
08/3/12 CD4-806, VL-UD

Offline wolfter

« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2011, 10:49:21 am »
I seroconverted last night, where's my answer ??? 

Offline Raf

• Bald by choice
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2011, 01:13:13 pm »
I just prefer I'm HIV positive, or I have HIV. I'm not the frigging virus... so "I am HIV" sounds silly to me (in spanish is even worst "Soy VIH"....WTF, I'll never say that).
Dx: 05/14/2008
Latest HIV Meds combo I've been taking:

Kaletra + Combivir (since 05/16/2008 - 05/09/2019)
Acriptega (05/10/2019 - today)

Offline gerry69

« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2011, 04:31:57 pm »
I'm just gonna start telling people I have hives minus the e.s. I know that's stupid..but oh well, who said I was smart anyway...

Clever yes...stupid no......

It takes a bit of the 'potential sting out of it'.....

Now if we could just find out why Zohar asked the question in the first place........

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2011, 09:08:47 am »
I take the direct and honest approach--for me.  I say that I have AIDS.  Or sometimes when I want to add a bit of lightheartedness to it, I say I have THE AIDS  ;D

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2011, 10:40:19 am »
I take the direct and honest approach--for me.  I say that I have AIDS.  Or sometimes when I want to add a bit of lightheartedness to it, I say I have THE AIDS  ;D

When I want to be light-hearted about it, I usually say "I got the Lurgy".

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2011, 05:54:52 pm »
I admit I'm too lazy to even look. Did we ever get the big reveal from the OP or not?  8)
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2011, 06:30:23 pm »
No, of course not
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2011, 06:46:51 pm »
I admit I'm too lazy to even look. Did we ever get the big reveal from the OP or not?  8)

He's over in Questions about Treatment castigating people for following the advice of their doctors rather than Thinking For Themselves.

MtD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2011, 09:39:00 pm »
66 post and Zohar has posted 5...so I'm guessing it's just another poor sod looking for attention, and we have engaged him and played his little game, and I'm also guessing he will be getting some of the usual advise via PM's.

Jan

Offline likinglife

• A Nice Lady w/ AIDS
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2011, 05:43:12 pm »
the phrases "I've got HIV" and "I've got AIDS" have been interchangeable, and boringly routine, for me after nearly 20 years now. Which one I use really just depends on how much shock value I'm looking for with my disclosure. ;)

Bahahahhh... I love this one
PCP 7/15/10
CD4 26 at diagnosis 7/18/10
Started Kaletra & Combivir
CD4 28 9/29/10
CD4 76 12/8/10 vl=UD
Swap Combivir for Isentress
CD4 126 3/3/11 vl=UD
CD4 99 5/4/2011 vl=UD
CD4...still at 99 as of 8/18/2011 vl=UD

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2011, 10:29:21 am »
***bump***

Offline wolfter

« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2011, 10:38:50 am »
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FLUSH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a giant BM

Offline elf

« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2011, 02:34:09 am »
In Spanish, and Portuguese many times portador (carrier) is used...
Portador do HIV, Portador del VIH
http://www.cat-barcelona.com/faqs/view/diferencia-entre-ser-portador-del-v-i-h-y-estar-enfermo-de-sida

Which is funny because they treat the infection as if it were a genetic disease, like Haemophilia (''carriers'' in this case can pass the gene, but can never themselves get sick ).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 02:37:47 am by elf »

Offline le_liseur

« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2011, 12:53:52 pm »
In Spanish, and Portuguese many times portador (carrier) is used...
Portador do HIV, Portador del VIH
http://www.cat-barcelona.com/faqs/view/diferencia-entre-ser-portador-del-v-i-h-y-estar-enfermo-de-sida

Which is funny because they treat the infection as if it were a genetic disease, like Haemophilia (''carriers'' in this case can pass the gene, but can never themselves get sick ).

You can also use the same in French, "porteur -- porteur du VIH". But I would be surprised to see how HIV+ people would use that to talk about themselves. It's usually found in articles about people who have the virus, and even more so if it concerns criminal charges. It sounds dehumanizing... As if you are just a body carrying a virus, bleh...

Offline mecch

« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2011, 07:29:17 pm »
Well since I believe there will be a cure in my lifetime, I don't mind the imagery of "carrier". 

I feel like medicine fights a great battle with HIV and it's really not winning much ground in my body, so carrier sounds OK to me. 

There are probably all sorts of virus's I am "carrying" and not really effecting my daily functioning.

For instance, I had the HEP B vaccine way back in the early days.  When I arrived in Switzerland I had lots of blood work (I was not HIV+ at the time) and the doc said I had the antibodies produced by HEP B vaccine and by contact with "real" HEP B virus.  I figure I am a carrier of all kinds of beaten viruses.  But then I'm not so up on virology so maybe my imagery doesn't pan out scientifically.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline le_liseur

« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2011, 07:58:34 pm »
What bothers me with that particular term, porteur/carrier, is the situations it is mostly used for (articles on individuals who infected someone else, and are dealing with criminal procedures). It feels like this word is often used to talk about HIV+ people in that situation, in a way that constructs and objectifies a negative identity. As if their body was then considered overall as a weapon. There also was an article or blog post on poz.com recently about the use of "the HIV monster'' in a recent case, and these kind of words end up cristallizing stigmas and, also, bad understandings of infection risks and prevention, IMHO.

So, where's the original poster, now? :D

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2011, 08:59:48 pm »

Off having a reaction of unknown status to being asked about this thread, I imagine.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Zohar

« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2011, 10:53:19 pm »

How can I help?
''Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.''

Offline le_liseur

« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2011, 12:05:45 am »
How can I help?

I'm sorry, I was talking about the original poster, not you.

Oh, wait, Zohar, you are the original poster, sorry! You've been away for so long, I couldn't recall it.

Well, then, you might want to refresh your memory by reading your thread again, by answering the question regarding the reasons that motivated you to ask such an interesting question. Why would someone, in your humble opinion, feel the need to say "I am HIV" instead of "I am HIV+"?

I am certain you will be delighted to logically explain the wonders that made you elaborate such a pleasant poll. Because, as you just asked, you do want to help us, right?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2011, 09:50:47 am »

How can I help?

You can help by explaining why you posted this poll in the first place, like you said you would two and a half weeks ago. We've all been waiting....

Now I'm curious. Can you explain the story behind the question? :)

Influence us already! Anyone who was interested in putting their $0.02 in would have by now.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2011, 09:55:23 am »
You can help by explaining why you posted this poll in the first place, like you said you would two and a half weeks ago. We've all been waiting....

Influence us already! Anyone who was interested in putting their $0.02 in would have by now.

This shall remain as one of the greatest mysteries in the history of humanity.  They will write books and scholarly papers about it.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline wolfter

« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2011, 10:29:43 am »
I am headache.

Offline NycJoe

« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2011, 11:10:05 am »
I am HIV.  I use to be HIV Unknown.    It sounds so ridiculous I had to type it out.  If I told friends/family/strangers that, they would think I was a complete idiot.  Now lets get back to more important threads where the OP isn't an attention seeking..well you can fill in the blank.

Have a good one,

Joe in NYC.. who was hiv- and now hiv+  .....end of story.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2011, 02:10:03 pm »
I am headache.

We know! ;D

Joe in NYC.. who was hiv- and now hiv+  .....end of story.

You used to be hiv minus and now you're hiv plus? Cool! 8)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2011, 02:45:10 pm »

::taps fingers::

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2011, 07:04:32 pm »

You used to be hiv minus and now you're hiv plus? Cool! 8)

I like that.. "Hi I'm Jan and I'm HIV plus"

::taps fingers::

You can stop now Miss P, you are just wasting your time and damaging your nails.

Aroha
Jan :-*

Offline mecch

« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2011, 05:56:02 am »

I repeat my original observation. Your conversation skills are not generous. Ask a question and I answered. People ask you questions and you hide, avoid or delay.

Well your loss because we all have your MO now. 

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2011, 06:26:43 am »
I'm holding off my reply until Zohar, the OP, posts his answer to the poll.  I'm sure he would agree that he wouldn't want my answer to influence him.   ::)

I find it seriously annoying when someone posts a question to others, but refuses to answer the question themselves.  Especially when it comes to HIV.  It makes me wonder if they are trolling for information, or if they are just a troll.
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2011, 10:19:51 am »
I like that.. "Hi I'm Jan and I'm HIV plus"

Would having an aids diagnosis mean that one is hiv plus plus?

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2011, 10:21:44 am »
Would having an aids diagnosis mean that one is hiv plus plus?

HIV double plus quick wise.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2011, 10:31:02 am »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2011, 10:33:45 am »
'zactly!

It's true. I have Zactly's Disease. :(

Mah face looks Zactly like mah ass does.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2011, 11:39:08 am »
It's true. I have Zactly's Disease. :(

Mah face looks Zactly like mah ass does.

MtD

Maybe you should shave one or the other so as to not confuzzle people.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2011, 11:43:08 am »
Maybe you should shave one or the other so as to not confuzzle people.

Balancing my arse on my shoulders is effort enough. Now you want that I should shave too?

Feh!

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2011, 11:53:34 am »
Balancing my arse on my shoulders is effort enough. Now you want that I should shave too?

Feh!

MtD

That's what your houseboy is for, amongst other thangs. Or don't you trust him with a razor? Maybe you should treat him with a little more kindness.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2011, 12:00:18 pm »
That's what your houseboy is for, amongst other thangs. Or don't you trust him with a razor? Maybe you should treat him with a little more kindness.

An Indonesian houseboy? Shirely, you jest! Those fellas are Muslamaniacs and their pagan god Allah requires that they don't shave.

So murderous intentions to one side, they simply don't know how to wield a razor. Safety or cut throat.

Frankly I'm thinking of sending Wahid off to the stables and getting myself one of those Hindoo fellas from darkest India.

At least they're vegetarians. :)

MtD

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2011, 12:20:14 pm »
HORRIFYING IMAGE OF BABY SUFFERING FROM OP THREAD ABANDONMENT
(not for sensitive eyes):

September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2011, 12:26:26 pm »
Frankly I'm thinking of sending Wahid off to the stables and getting myself one of those Hindoo fellas from darkest India.

At least they're vegetarians. :)

MtD

ha ha, did I hear that correct ? Us vegetarians are a superior race!

PS- I love my piece of "meat" though  ;)
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2011, 12:44:46 pm »
ha ha, did I hear that correct ? Us vegetarians are a superior race!

PS- I love my piece of "meat" though  ;)

Well what can we expect from a fella who bows down before an elephant headed god that rides on the back of a rat? Whilst you may not have a future in the afterlife I'm confident you'll find a place in the US House of Representatives.

But we need look no further than Book of Genesis to dismiss the heresy of vegertarianism.

The first two sons of Adam (Cain and Abel) made offerings to the LORD. Cain offered up a selection of garden fresh vegetables which, unsurprisingly, infuriated God who preferred the prime cut meat tray that Abel had on offer.

Presumably the LORD requires comestables which will stick to his Holy Ribs.

In any event, Cain was so angered that he murdered his saintly brother and frankly things have just gone down hill from there.

MtD

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2011, 01:26:11 pm »

I call upon Lord Ganesh to bless this cursed thread and everyone who says "I am HIV"
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2011, 01:27:35 pm »

I call upon Lord Ganesh to bless this cursed thread and everyone who says "I am HIV"

Bal Ganesh was so good they made 2 of them.  The feel good film of the year.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.