Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 08:09:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773164
  • Total Topics: 66330
  • Online Today: 286
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 233
Total: 234

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Pack and go! That scene in old movies.  (Read 3636 times)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Pack and go! That scene in old movies.
« on: October 23, 2010, 08:47:24 am »
Please help!
We're trying to find the actual scenes in movies, mostly old, but why not new, too!

The wife, lover, is packing a small bag to leave. In the classic scene, the lady pulls a small bag from the closet, puts it on the bed or chair, and lifts a few pieces of lingerie from a drawer and put them in. Then the armoire - maybe a shirt, and a sweater. That's it.  Husband comes home and the wife says, closing up the bag, "Darling I'm leaving you".

The key to the scenes we are looking for is that its a small bag and only a few things go into it.  As if that's all thats needed to leave and start a new life.  Could be a man or woman.

Can you name some movies with this scene? Please!

There's a scene in Sunset Boulevard that ironically reverses the role, cause Joe the gigolo writer packs a bag and announces he's leaving. 

So could be a man or woman, and could be an old movie or new one.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline PozBrian

Re: Pack and go! That scene in old movies.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 12:03:25 pm »
I can't name a movie but I know the scene. It must be in hundreds of films. It probably is more of a literary device to show that once character is leaving. Another archetypal scene is at a railway station or boarding a ocean liner. But there is much more luggage, particularly steamer trunks. Actually now that I think of it in films from the 30's I saw more trunks than suitcases.

I was recently standing in a line waiting to go through custom and there was a couple decked out in vintage 40's clothing right down to their luggage. My carry-on has a shoulder strap and my large suitcase has four wheels. They had old cases that had to be hand carried. No straps or wheels at all.

I for one am glad that luggage technology has advanced. Wouldn't it be great if it could be easily miniaturized so it would all fit in you pocket!
Currently Trivicay & Truvada
1/15 549 37%UD
9/14 778 35% UD
5/14 537 36% UD
6/13 632 36% UD 
6/12 559 39% UD
11/09 CD4: 379, 25% VL: UNDETECTABLE!!
10/09 CD4: 245, 25% VL: 87
9/09 CD4: 246, 24% VL: 49!
8/09 CD4: 277, 26% VL: 115
7/09 CD4: 346, 24% VL: 221
6/09 started meds.
4/09 HIV +, CD4: 397, 16%  VL:195000, PPD reactive

Offline camille07

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 10:28:45 am »
Hitchcock was big with packing the metaphorical suitcase:
 Marnie,
 Rearwindow
 Psycho
- Kubrick's Lolita.
- Douglas Sirk's All about Eve (A lot of the melodramas of the fifties incorporated the "pack and go" scene.
- Fassbinder Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant  (fassbinder was a huge fan of Douglas Sirk which makes sense in this particular film.

I can come up with probably a lot more since I studied film and hold a bachelor's degree in art and film.  I am also a certified film dork pre and post school.

I'm thinking Fellini's Juliet of the spirits because she leaves him, but I can't specifically remember a suitcase scene.

I'm sure to remember more as I walk my dog.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 10:31:56 am by camille07 »

Offline mecch

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 12:45:11 pm »
Hey I studied film too!  ::)

Thanks for the list. Love Sirk.

(But Joseph L. Mankiewicz directed All About Eve, i think?)
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline camille07

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 03:00:12 pm »
Oh great!  I was trying to think older films, but you can understand when you've seen so many films they're hard to mentally retrieve.

I meant Sirk in reference to Imitation of Life.   :-\

Some Like it Hot (a great pack and go scene)
The Lost Weekend
Midnight  Cowboy
White Christmas
Wizard of oz
Cat on a hot tin roof
Yentl
Sound of Music??? I vaguely remember Julie Andrews going back to the convent quickly.
Angel Face 
Suspicion
Oscar 1967
Safe in Hell 1931

I'm aware it's not a casual packing of the suitcase, it's a "determinedl packing and getting the hell out". Hope some of these work.

Offline mecch

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 05:32:37 pm »
Oh my amazing! Many thanks!

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 12:01:16 pm »
Joan Crawford was a hell of a "Pack and Go" bitch, but she always seemed to be so tidy about it, folding and such, and you never saw any lingerie sticking out of the luggage as she left. And who could forget that indomitable Crawford voice as she said "I'm leaving you darrrrling".  Off the top of my head Crawford's "The Damned Don't Cry" comes to mind in the scene where she leaves her husband for the gangster.

I've got about 25 of her movies on DVD, seems like a good time to have a movie marathon this weekend and seek out the "Pack and Go's"

-Will
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 12:08:43 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline mecch

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 11:16:37 pm »
Thanks, I never saw that Crawford flick I'll have to look for it!

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 11:42:03 pm »

Wizard of Oz, Dorothy took the dog and house when she left.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 10:42:10 am »

Wizard of Oz, Dorothy took the dog and house when she left.

ah yes, The ultimate "Pack and GO"

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.