Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 07:09:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773457
  • Total Topics: 66366
  • Online Today: 412
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 283
Total: 284

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: If there are the so called, Long-term survivors. Are there the Short-term ones?  (Read 5854 times)

Offline proud40

• HIV/AIDS shouldn't be part of our normal lives.
I've seen and heard a lot about the so called, long-term survivors. Which make me quite amazed and overwhelmed, like to see a person who's been POZ for more than 26 yrs or more, on meds and the common side effects that come with them, but not the big deal and they keep going through their normal lifestyle with not much to complain about. Now, I've also seen people who've either developed a full blown AIDS after a couple of years of being infected, despite being on meds and they've died, or the others who just cannot seem to cope with meds side effects and have succumbed to them as well. Should this type of person be called a Short- term survivor?. Together with all, I'm totally aware that lifestyle has a lot to do with making a difference; it is a lot more probable for a person who leads a healthy life and a positive attitude to live longer than the one who does all the contrary, that's logical. Even though, I have been a witness to people close to me that have done everything there is possible to survive and live longer, like keeping close to their med regime, lead a healthy lifestyle, have a positive attitude, follow Dr's orders, change habits cold turkey and more, but they just don't seem to get any better, on the contrary, they get worst and they die, how come???
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 06:37:12 pm by proud40 »

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
I think one of the most used statements you will find on here is that "people react differently" to meds/ virus/ lifestyle........I suppose if you have to label them  that is as good as any....personally I favor just calling them friends/buddies/persons who died.
There are no real guarantees that anyone will " live" infected or not...I see many non infected persons ( no HIV)  listed in the obits every day...ages all over the span from infants to 100s...   maybe "infected with HIV and still living" is a bit awkward   so LTS is used..  I consider myself one  I hope you will be also..

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Proud, I've not seen someone who's been "infected" for only a couple years developing AIDS (of course that's not to say it never has happened).  What I have seen is people who have been "diagnosed" for a couple years developing AIDS, indicating that they have been infected for much longer than they've been diagnosed for.  Everyone's body reacts differently, as Nick said. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline proud40

• HIV/AIDS shouldn't be part of our normal lives.
I've seen and heard a lot about the so called, long-term survivors. Which make me quite amazed and overwhelmed, like to see a person who's been POZ for more than 26 yrs or more, on meds and the common side effects that come with them, but not the big deal and they keep going through their normal lifestyle with not much to complain about. Now, I've also seen people who've either developed a full blown AIDS after a couple of years of being infected, despite being on meds and they've died, or the others who just cannot seem to cope with meds side effects and have succumbed to them as well. Should this type of person be called a Short- term survivor?. Together with all, I'm totally aware that lifestyle has a lot to do with making a difference; it is a lot more probable for a person who leads a healthy life and a positive attitude to live longer than the one who does all the contrary, that's logical. Even though, I have been a witness to people close to me that have done everything there is possible to survive and live longer, like keeping close to their med regime, lead a healthy lifestyle, have a positive attitude, follow Dr's orders, change habits cold turkey and more, but they just don't seem to get any better, on the contrary, they get worst and they die, how come???

"It is not the threat of death, illness, hardship, or poverty that crushes the human spirit; it is the fear of being alone and unloved in the universe.
                                                                      Anthony Welsh.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Hey Proud,

I think the answer to your question is yes, there are short-term survivors. There are with any terminal or fatal disease.

I have known people who were diagnosed and who died of AIDS complications within the same year.

I also have known people like myself, who have been positive for 20-plus years and are doing well, even with meds, etc.

Then there is all the gray area in between, and there are people here who could easily fill that area with their own personal history. Some have literally been on death's door, but somehow rallied and are still with us today.

Others try anything and everything they can do to survive, yet do not.

They didn't anything wrong, that is just the way the fates or whatever dealt these people their hands.

There are no hard and fast answers. What works for me may make you very sick or not work at all for you.

We all must just take what we have and make the most of it. I seem to be writing that a lot these days.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline RapidRod

Mark you can never tell the truth enough. It's always worth repeating.

Rodney

Offline weasel

HEY Proud 40 !
                       Yes there is short term NON-survivors !   I moved from Las Vegas  three years ago ! lived there 25 + years .

Many of my friends  died  back in the Eighties , most from being in such a panic ,that they took the pills , that  would make them feel like death
and death soon followed ! they also never stopped and thought about  living a healthier  life .

some had NO choice ,back then it took most of us very fast ! doctors could only do what they knew was best .........................

Just  before I left Las Vegas  three years ago , I met a man that had just been diagnosed , He was infected and with-in a month
was almost dead ! It hit him hard ! He did come out of it ,but it was strugle !

But it is to mention often a person is in BAD  health  before they are infected and it is far worse for them .
Many of us OFTEN  change our life styles ,quickly I may add ! , after the BAD  news is given !

I have been HIV/AIDS for almost  30 years ! I have complaints , lets NOT go there !
I WILL  say ,most of my complaints  are direct from the meds ! Belly oh my belly !

Today  I think most people have a better chance ,only my opinion , BUT  these days  people are playing with fire !
Back when I sucumvented ,if that is the word ? . I will quess most of my partners NEVER  took any AIDS  Cocktails , so I
think  it made  it easier  for my doctor when finally  after  18 years  I needed  PILLS !

I  pray they find a cure !
but reality is there are persons that CROAK  and only GOD has the answer !

I pray daily as i wake that I have been given one more day !
 Some days are good , some days I would rather be dead !  but I love everyday .
I seem to be rabling now ,so be good and don't do BAD drugs and drink moderatley !
                                                                    I pray for a cure for us all

Karl

" Live and let Live "

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
HEY Proud 40 !
                       Yes there is short term NON-survivors !   I moved from Las Vegas  three years ago ! lived there 25 + years .

Many of my friends  died  back in the Eighties , most from being in such a panic ,that they took the pills , that  would make them feel like death
and death soon followed ! they also never stopped and thought about  living a healthier  life .

some had NO choice ,back then it took most of us very fast ! doctors could only do what they knew was best .........................

Just  before I left Las Vegas  three years ago , I met a man that had just been diagnosed , He was infected and with-in a month
was almost dead ! It hit him hard ! He did come out of it ,but it was strugle !

But it is to mention often a person is in BAD  health  before they are infected and it is far worse for them .
Many of us OFTEN  change our life styles ,quickly I may add ! , after the BAD  news is given !

I have been HIV/AIDS for almost  30 years ! I have complaints , lets NOT go there !
I WILL  say ,most of my complaints  are direct from the meds ! Belly oh my belly !

Today  I think most people have a better chance ,only my opinion , BUT  these days  people are playing with fire !
Back when I sucumvented ,if that is the word ? . I will quess most of my partners NEVER  took any AIDS  Cocktails , so I
think  it made  it easier  for my doctor when finally  after  18 years  I needed  PILLS !

I  pray they find a cure !
but reality is there are persons that CROAK  and only GOD has the answer !

I pray daily as i wake that I have been given one more day !
 Some days are good , some days I would rather be dead !  but I love everyday .
I seem to be rabling now ,so be good and don't do BAD drugs and drink moderatley !
                                                                    I pray for a cure for us all

Karl

When my T-CELLS went way down to 90, and my VL  was  as high as 998,655 copies, in AUG 1997, I HAD 3 OI's (PCP, Hairy leukoplakia  and Candidiasis) , I WAS VERY SICK, with a  FULL BLOWN AIDS DIAGNOSIS, then I WENT ON DISABILITY in  FEB 1998, I've been a LTS since 1987 was when I tested HIV+, I didn't start mono-theraphy MEDS untill 1991, And YES I Survived HIV Mono-theraphy and was on AZT back then...I lost 3 Life Partners and many many Friends and loved ones to AIDS back in the 80's and 90's.................so, YEAH, I think I qualify as a LTS.............at least I think I do  ;)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 04:53:00 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
People survive as well as their bodies, their spirits, and science allow.  Before HAART it was common to hear of a friend finding out he was HIV+ one day after a flu-like illness and six months later watch him pass from one opportunistic infection or another.  Nowadays, those with such a brief life after diagnosis are as unusual as long-term non-progressors--other conditions impair their response to HIV Inlcuding substance abuse and depression), or they receive their diagnosis in the throes of an advanced OI ten to twenty years after their seroconversion.

Yesterday was the fifteenth anniversary of the passing of a good friend who survived six years after testing HIV+.  Roy did AZT for three years, but HIV eventually got around the drug and finished destroying his immune system.
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline hudstar

Some good points posted here. I consider myself a LTS. For me, that title means I am recognised as living with HIV over a long period of time after being told I would likely die. The title reminds me of the struggles all LTS went through until HAART came along and of the issues that still evolve. The evolutionary history of HIV shaped many of us so I do not think we have the outlook that having HIV is not a big deal anymore, we are just well seasoned to HIV with many memories under our belt. As for "we keep going through "our" normal lifestyle with not much to complain about. I don't think any of us continued with our previous "normal lifestyle". We adjusted as we lived longer but this was not without issues. I once read a good article on the Lazarus Syndrome, it seemed to identify some problems faced by LTS. As for short term Vs long term. Initially, I think genes that make your body what it is has much to do with someones health outcome, then of course lifestyle and eating habits also influence. I don't understand your term "short term survivors". Those that were here for a short term did not survive and I remember them by name. Having HIV is all about survival as their is no known cure, only prolongation of life so in that respect I guess we are all survivors
diagnosed 1988
POZ personals - hudster

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.