Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:50:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 232
Total: 235

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What Do We Need To Do?  (Read 22411 times)

Offline Eldon

What Do We Need To Do?
« on: January 14, 2007, 02:38:39 am »

...In order to get along with each other regardless of our differences?

Offline fondeveau

Re: What Do We Need To Do?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 07:44:23 am »
Accept that I am right and that you are wrong.  Just as you were wrong last time and will be next time....I think the problem arises from too much cultural education throughout the sixties and seventies that emphasized that regardless of our background, we are all Americans! and Proud!  Any difference of opinion other than topics where difference was allowed, i.e. politics, religion, choice of automobile, was viewed as un-American.  Kids play the game with the Sesame Street muppets "One of These Things is Not Like the Other...One of These Things Just Doesn't Belong..."  Inadvertently, it seems to have taught them that the other is, therefore, bad, evil, un-American, even.  So, what do we need to do in order to get along with each other regardless of our differences....1) Love thy neighbor as thyself....2) Do unto others....

Offline Eldon

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 03:52:00 pm »

Hey Fondeveau...

Who are you?

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 06:07:37 pm »
Who do you say I am? Who do people say I am?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 06:21:16 pm by fondeveau »

Offline Eldon

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 06:32:36 pm »
Where is your introduction post?

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 06:39:56 pm »
I never made one?

Offline Eldon

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 06:49:29 pm »
Are you going to make one?

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 06:50:36 pm »
Well, there's bits and pieces of me here and there in different posts...anything in particular you would like to know or that I should include?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 06:56:22 pm »
Eldon,

With all due respect, fondeveau is quite a new member here. I get the feeling you're not making him feel very welcome with your interrogation. After all, you didn't post your own intro thread until you'd been here for months.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Eldon

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 07:00:02 pm »

Hi Fondeveau, my name is Eldon and I am also HIV positive. You are not alone with this unfortunate circumstance that has taken place in your life.

Here you will find acceptance, understanding, communication, support, some cries, some laughter and much more. This site is infused with a lot of good information in order to HELP you with any questions that you may have on HIV/AIDS.

From my personal experience here, this is a great group of individuals who will listen as we as answer back to you. I have learned so much more by being here with my interaction with the others.

A few suggestions to HELP you on your Journey:

1. A Positive Mental Attitude
2. A Good Exercise Routine
3. A Good Balanced Diet
4. A Good Strong Support System

Feel free to browse through the many variations of topics here and also share with what is on your mind.

Welcome to our community.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 07:25:12 pm »
Who do you say I am? Who do people say I am?

I am totally lost on this one here.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 07:29:27 pm »
Yes, I'm quite new and thank you for your welcome, Eldon.  And, thank you for your support, Ann.  But, I'm sure that its my reply to his post that has sparked Eldon's curiousity as to Who I Am.  I don't think his inquiries were meant to be overly forward.  And, I did read the forum rules, so I don't want to hijack the thread, etc.  I've never been able to talk a lot about myself as it leaves so little room for gossip about others...j/k!  But, I will manage an introduction thread at some point.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 07:34:18 pm »
Well, Love thy neighbor and do unto others - surely, you recognize the source for those answers? 

"Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, He was asking His disciples, 'Who do people say that the Son of Man is?' And they said, 'Some say John the Baptist; and others, Elijah; but still others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets.' He said to them, 'But who do you say that I am?'" (Matthew 16:13-15)

Before any of the disciples answered, Peter gave his reply: "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

Offline Eldon

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 07:35:25 pm »
Yes, I'm quite new and thank you for your welcome, Eldon.  And, thank you for your support, Ann.  But, I'm sure that its my reply to his post that has sparked Eldon's curiousity as to Who I Am.  I don't think his inquiries were meant to be overly forward.  And, I did read the forum rules, so I don't want to hijack the thread, etc.  I've never been able to talk a lot about myself as it leaves so little room for gossip about others...j/k!  But, I will manage an introduction thread at some point.

Thank you for the clarification. It sure did spark my level of curiosity and with the picture that you put there as well.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 07:37:43 pm »
Yes, I do recognize that and that is a part of my system of values. I am there in spite of the circumstances. Everybody needs somebody sometime.

He also said love your enemies as well.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 07:45:00 pm by Eldon »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 07:48:49 pm »
I'm pretty sure that I'll go to Hell for saying this, but the picture in post #3 looks kinda homoerotic.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2007, 07:50:42 pm »
Timmy,

You got an amazing sense of perception.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 07:52:37 pm »
When you asked who I was and I replied who do you say I am...I'm alluding through biblical literature that I am the Christ, and therefore, "right."  So, then, I hunted around for a picture of gay Jesus - I'm being naughty...and blasphemous...but, at the same time, being somewhat pious and righteous as I do believe that the answer to your original post is indeed, "Love thy neighbor" and "Do unto others...."

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2007, 07:54:18 pm »
I'm pretty sure that I'll go to Hell for saying this, but the picture in post #3 looks kinda homoerotic.

You won't go to hell.  You will go the UCC - http://www.ucc.org

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2007, 07:56:52 pm »
Is that where one would go to find a gallery of gay Jesus art?  Just ever so curious.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2007, 07:58:31 pm »
Love your neighbors and do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Very inspiring concept.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2007, 07:59:31 pm »
Timmy,

Curiosity = Inquiring minds wants to know.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2007, 08:00:00 pm »
I googled "gay jesus" then hit the images link and voila! Dozens and dozens of images of Christ Pantohomo.  The UCC is the United Church of Christ - that wonderful mainline denomination that voted last year in support of gay marriage equality.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2007, 08:00:32 pm »
Love your neighbors and do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Very inspiring concept.

Its the difference between recip/no recip.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2007, 08:00:37 pm »
Is that where one would go to find a gallery of gay Jesus art?  Just ever so curious.

Nope that is where you would go to find a church that is accepting of big ol' mo's like you...and if you are lucky a husband. ;D

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2007, 08:06:47 pm »
Nope...not lucky enough for a husband yet. 

So UCC is a slightly less gay version of MCC?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2007, 08:08:56 pm »
Not less, WAY more...lesbo preachin' and everything.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2007, 08:15:12 pm »
I thought most "mainstream" christian denominations tended to view MCC as a church of the poisoned mind- where queens and lesbians and other pervs twisted the Bible for their own hell-bent agendas.  Is the UCC given the same regard?  I'm not saying that is what I think of these folks.  I'm just saying I have heard those Focus on the Family types speak of the MCC this way.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2007, 08:15:36 pm »
The MCC was founded by homos primarily for homos. So, in that sense, any church would be less gay than the MCC?  I don't believe in separate institutions and I think its high time the gay community reclaim its church heritage by filling pews on Sunday mornings.  The UCC is a merger of the Congregational Christian Churches and the Evangelical Reformed Church and is noteworthy for its stance as Open and Affirming of LGBT people and support of Marriage Equality.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2007, 08:23:26 pm »
Interesting.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2007, 08:25:33 pm »
That's what I meant by 'less gay version of the MCC'.  MCC was by gays for gays...and this seems to be from the mainstream reaching out.  

Eldon, I hope this isn't too much of a highjack of this thread.  If so, I wouldn't mind discussing it in a new thread or through PM's.  Regardless of my own personal views on religion, I find the subject of such an outreach to be worth discussing.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2007, 08:27:50 pm »
After all it is about doing right? The original question is what can we do? This is one of the many answers to the question. Please proceed. I will have my dinner now and come back an join you all in the conversaton.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2007, 08:36:54 pm »
After all it is about doing right? The original question is what can we do? ...

A primary tenet within the UCC is "that which unites us is greater than that which divides us."  The belief is not in "tests" of faith, but in "testimonies" of living witness - not in the sense of "Are you saved?  Accept Jesus NOW! - but, in getting along despite our differences by loving our neighbors and doing unto others....

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2007, 08:40:55 pm »
I take it you are pretty involved in this denomination?  I am wondering what the response to other mainstream denominations is to all of this with the UCC.  Is the UCC the denominaton that had the TV campaign with the velvet rope last year?  I remember seeing something like that on TV that was very obviously depicting open doors to all types of races and orientations. 

(As a sidenote:  I was trying to look into the above questions myself, but got sidetracked by google images of 'gay Jesus'.  It gets really wierd after so many pages.  Then again, it was kinda wierd from page one.)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2007, 08:54:33 pm »
Yep, that's us!  Well, the early in US History, the UCC's forbears were castigated by other denominations for its leadership in the fight against black slavery. So, we're used to other denominations taking hundreds of years to follow our lead!   More conservative denominations believe that the UCC is a "gay" church, but within the UCC the question is not whether our neighbor is gay, but how should we love him.  The only answer that we can justify is "as Thyself."

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Eldon

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2007, 08:59:31 pm »
Now here is somthing to focus on. Loving your neighbor in spite of. Instead of all of the condeming that is going on, the initiative needs to be taken in order to lift up that individual in spite of his/her faults or their personal relations.

It is an excellent example of forming a UNIFYING result.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2007, 09:07:09 pm »
Very profoundly disturbing how that ad was actually banned for being 'too controversial'.  I mean...any message of inclusion (by churches or anyone) being deemed too controversial?  Hmmm...

Dinner break.  I shall return after eating and watching, ahem...some of the greatest stories ever told. 

(READ:  Housewives and Borthers and Sisters!  LOL)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2007, 09:18:45 pm »
There needs to be some form of resolution made in order to address the many contrversial issues that exist today. What are some good ideas to assist with a resolution for this?

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2007, 09:28:23 pm »
Hi Eldon,

I probably should just ignore this thread, -- but I seemingly can't.........

What the hell are you talking about here??
Even if you forget that "controversy is in the eye of the beholder", there is any endless number of "controversial issues" in the world today.  Perhaps you could help eliminate some future ones by asking clear and articulate questions that one can answer.

I'm just saying......

Mike

Offline Eldon

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2007, 09:33:37 pm »
We were discussing the TV campaign that they had last year.

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2007, 10:27:38 pm »
I loved my neighbor and that's what got me this gawd damn aids.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2007, 10:41:26 pm »
So, did your neighbor do unto you as he would presumably have others do and disclose?

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2007, 10:44:03 pm »
http://news.ucc.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=775&Itemid=54

UCC and U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops co-sponsor major forum on religion, media

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2007, 10:44:45 pm »
my brain fucking hurts right now and you aren't making any sense... of course, I highly medicated and not even drinking.  

sad but tragic.   My new prescriptions make me feel like I'm back on the sustiva.  

Bleh, back to the doctor again... one friggin step forward and two damn steps back.

But at least I had fun getting here.  Oh, those were the days.

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2007, 10:45:39 pm »
make religion illegal and shoot all the believers  ::)  that's what I call spiritual cleansing....

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2007, 10:46:07 pm »
Very profoundly disturbing how that ad was actually banned for being 'too controversial'.  I mean...any message of inclusion (by churches or anyone) being deemed too controversial?  Hmmm...

Dinner break.  I shall return after eating and watching, ahem...some of the greatest stories ever told. 

(READ:  Housewives and Borthers and Sisters!  LOL)

Oh, never saw the brothers and sisters before..."I'm not gay, but that doesn't mean I don't think you're hot..." Whew!

Offline Eldon

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2007, 10:50:09 pm »
Bailey,

There is more than one level to Love. It was an out-of-character act that had occured between you and your neighbor. This kind of love is above the level of the Sexual Kind of Love. It is inside of you. It has been with you since the day you were biologically conceived.

My Confession to YOU: I care a lot about you and I see a lot in you and it is you who will make it however you want it to be. It is there within you you just have to look for it and you will find it.

All of this is said out of Love.

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2007, 11:10:16 pm »
that's what the Christians said during the Crusades all the while slaughtering the heathens.

Methinks you do not know me well enough to determine in or out of character.

Besides, I'm an atheist.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2007, 11:15:19 pm »
Oh, never saw the brothers and sisters before..."I'm not gay, but that doesn't mean I don't think you're hot..." Whew!

So I take it you took a peek at Brothers and Sisters?  I am totally hooked.  Housewives is an ongoing addiction.  I've gone for years barely watching any televison at all.  Not so these days...5 or 6 I see each week.

But for the forum on religion and media...that's a tricky area if asking the FCC to intervene on the behalf of religious denominations.  I am apalled that a network would decline the UCC's ad based partly on the current administration's stance on marriage.  What does THAT say about governmental influence on religious expression?  Eek.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2007, 11:16:07 pm »
Is there room to get to know you better? Bailey?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.