Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:02:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 217
Total: 220

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Poll

Should there be an introductions thread?

No
0 (0%)
Yes
0 (0%)
Yes, and can it be sticky please
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Who is newt, then? (reprise post)  (Read 20027 times)

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Who is newt, then? (reprise post)
« on: May 31, 2006, 04:37:05 pm »
Just in case you wonder who this know-all is...a friend once said on the old AM, and he was right, "What about you?", and I said to him "It would be good to say something about who I am, cos I never do, I just pop up and pontificate..." so this is by way of (re-) introduction I guess..

I was born in Taunton, which is the big town in the Somerest levels, the West Country. The West Country is another country from where I am now (Brighton, Sussex), all misty hills and wizards, King Arthur, the surf (boys) and sand on the north Cornwall beaches (especially Constantine, which is a destination from childhood), even in summer you can find an empty one, beaches that aren't there when the tide's in, and when it's out you have to scrabble down rocks to reach the virgin sand, and there are blowholes and cold caves.

Growing up was kinda full of trauma, but life now really has no major waves.  I am 42.

I have two hooded rats (Rhizome and Dogtooth). Also in the flat, the best Bengal cat and a black n white street cat from Deptford, London

I have no idea when I turned positive, prob some time in the last century, and can't for the life of me remember my day of diagnosis. I do remember it was no surprise, and a non-event. A little, later, 3 weeks of thinking about my death (a good thing to do, and natural under the circumstances), my vague, middle-age-comes feeling of what-do-I do-now? vanished and I got back my sense of purpose about life. I started treatment July, July 8th, 2004, the day I split with my partner of 7 years (no surprise there either, and a good thing on both sides, kinda co-incidental timing, he was/is never very good on timing..).

Work wise, I have, except for a brief spell copywriting, worked in UK health and voluntary services, and now have a cushy little number at the top of the small and idosyncratic world of charities in the UK, as a kind of social venture capitalist. This includes genning up on a lot of clinical science. Plus I do websites. Good, fast, accessible ones for, er, charities. I am, I guess, part of the English establishment, or half-way there.

Even though Europe is, for now, over (having a pause), I am resolutely European, and I guess English through and through (I know I am this cos I dislike "Englishness" which is I am told the defining characteristic).

I never belive what I read in the papers. My favourite radio programme is Just a Minute. TV: I like the new Battlestar Galatica, and the hugely optimistic and unrealisitc Judge John Deed. I like (among others),music: J S Bach, Berlioz, Nick Buckley, Afrikaans singers, Mar J Blige, London hip-hop. I like, writers: Chinua Achebe (poems esp), K Sello Duiker, Amy Lowell, Whitman, Melville, E M Forster, Barry MacSweeny and Stephen Watson. I like roast beef with huge Yorkshire puds and horseradish, blond women with green eyes, activists. I dislike: crystal, crystal, crystal (the drug and the glassware), James Joyce (what a waste of paper, just get on n get your leg over, mr) sofas with buttons, men whose tans stop just short of their hairline, certainty of origin, parochial bitchiness and oneupmanship (ie "Englishness"), activists.

I think Elgar's 2nd symphony is the most disturbing and under-rated musical work of the 20th century.

I like sitting in steam rooms in saunas: you can think without distraction and perhaps get a stunning blow-job.

I would rather drown than crash in a plane.

I hav a tendency to be interested in obscure and marginal things.

My worst sin is being lazy:.

I have an extremely nerdy side n I like it.

Hepatits B wiped 2 years off my life with fatigue: my doc spotted it almost at the point of having cleared up ("Oh, I think you had hepatitis B"...!).

I have a passion for S Africa, esp. KZN, and Mozambique. So speak enough Zulu to get by, and enough French to get the right man in a bar (hehe), enough Portuguese to say "No thank you sister" and English. The English generally goes into the poetry, which sometimes get published, and sometimes, even, paid for.

So I am here on the south coast, in a town that feels like it's gonna fall into the sea, the English Channel flowing into the Atlantic, which laps the west side of Africa down to the Cape. The Altlantic makes me feel at home, but the Indian Ocean, different rhythmn, warm, is my favourite.

- matt

(this post dedicated to the boys n girls of Scotland)
  :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 12:14:14 pm by iana5252 »
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Trish

Re: Who is newt, then? (reprise post)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 04:48:35 pm »
It's a pleasure to meet you Matt... I've known you for a little over a year now, and this is by far the most I have ever seen you write about yourself... thanks for introducing yourself.

Interesting life you've had.  Myself, growing up in Brooklyn, NY, I can tell you that you have lived more life than I ever have in my 42 years of life on this planet.

Hugs,

Trish :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 04:51:07 pm by Trish »
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Teresa

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 07:32:56 pm »
Nice to meet you newt, im Teresa. My hubby tested HIV+ may 5, 2006 so ive only been here about a month. Hope to get to know you and everyone alot better. I wish hubby would come here too but i guess he isnt ready yet.

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 07:39:15 pm »
Hey Matt, nice to meet you again.  I enjoyed reading your post, and have to agree about roast beef and yorkie puds!

("")("")
Matt

Offline Basquo

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 07:43:47 pm »
U R HOT

But your honesty is hotter.

Offline fearless

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 07:58:43 pm »
Hi Matt,
nice to meet you. i guess i should introduce myself one day.
steve
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 08:23:37 pm »
Hello Matt,

Thanks for the reintroduction... and the great links. !! Not a bad idea ! Thanks again for sharing

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline TedEBearNC

• ~Cuddly~
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 10:09:12 pm »
U R HOT

I was gonna say he forgot that part.  I've always thought so anyway.
Member since March 2004

Offline Cliff

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 03:21:26 am »
Hey, hello Matt.  Good idea.  We should start an introduction thread..

Offline swede_dish

• I feel like an angel baby wrapped in a candy cloud
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 06:31:47 am »
I really enjoyed reading this.....thank you for sharing a bit of you with us!
"I married a German. Every night I dress up as Poland and he invades me. "
-Bette Midler

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 10:01:14 am »
Wow Matt.
I really enjoyed your sharing prose. As a matter of fact, you have inspired me to do a similar thing with my blog. I just kind of jumped in, after dithering for a week or so. But I never took the time to share who I am.
Darn shame you live across the pond, I'd love to meet you in person, but I feel like I already have.
Thank you for letting us have a peek at you. ;)
Kisses, and a big HUG for you friend.
   {{{{NEWT}}}}
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 10:18:27 am »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 10:07:56 pm by Iggy »

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 10:35:07 am »
Happy Trails, Newt.

Nice to meet you again.

robert

(my mother always told me to be nice to poets.)

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 11:02:50 am »
I agree with the above comments.  It is interesting to meet the man after the fact.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 11:32:46 am »
Even if you didn't intend it as such, you write a helluva personal ad, Matt!!!!!

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline bear60

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 11:57:41 am »
HI
Thanks so much for the introduction. I dont feel up to the task of writing a lot right now but I will tell you I have a sense of humor, and like to talk.
 I will talk to you in the future.
 bear
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 12:01:06 pm by bear60 »
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline newt

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 12:02:17 pm »
Iggy,

That is not me at cocktail parties, I'm kinda the antisocial one opening a beer on the balcony.  The Moscow State Symphony Orchestra did a stunning performance of Elgar's 2nd for the BBC in the 90s, dunno if it's on disc. Europe is over: in case no-one noticed all our artists and scientists left for the US of A between 1901 and the end of WW2.  As a poet once said "The crucibe's burned out".  But we'll be back, unless the Balkans/Greece/Turkey goes up in smoke and flames again. - matt

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 12:42:49 pm »
Hey Newt,

Thanks for the overview of your life, as I have always wondered about how your past influences your interaction here.  What a varied life and I really like how you balance your life by being quirky.  Now, so much more of your musings seem to be grounded by your life and experience.  Here's hoping for a second installment.

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2006, 01:10:41 pm »
My God Matt,

What a generous post this is.  I thank you for giving us a peek into what is obviously a wondrous and exciting life story.  Like your friends above; I too am thrilled at this very fun and informative read. 

In Love, and Thankfulness.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline newt

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2006, 07:41:30 pm »
truly my life is unexceptional, I will post a pt 2 in due course -  matt
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 04:49:42 am by newt »

Offline newt

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2006, 07:42:25 pm »
Maybe there should be a (sticky ) introductions thread (as previously suggested)?

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2006, 08:47:40 pm »
Hey, Newt...

Wow! What a wonderful journey I just had, wandering through your story! Thank you for the opportunity to know you a bit better, I really appreciate it.

You remind me, now, that perhaps all of us should re-introduce ourselves, as many new members are arriving, daily.

Also, I'm still waiting for us to 'trade tips' on that Red Garden of yours, darlin'...the one you told me about back in September, when I joined this unique family!!

Nice to make your acquaintance, Newt...you are a very interesting man.

Love,

Zephyr
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2006, 09:08:31 pm »
That was a nice post Matt I certainly feel like a know much more about you now!  Another vote here for the introductions thread i'll have a think about what to write!
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline newt

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006, 02:24:57 am »
Okay, I've added a poll on an Introductions thread - matt

Offline Optimistic

• An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctors Away!
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2006, 03:03:08 am »
Nice to meet you Newt.....interesting life you have there. Thanks for sharing.

Justin
12/06 (Atripla): cd4 - 260; cd% - 33%; vl - 169
1/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 267; cd% - 38.1%; vl - 132
4/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 373; cd% - 33.9%; vl - <50
7/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 287; cd% - 35.8%; vl - <50
9/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 356; cd% - 39.5%; vl - <50
12/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 517

Offline Markmt

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2006, 11:40:40 am »
Enjoyed reading your re-intro and getting to know you better Newt. Hopefully I can do the same some time soon - Thanks :)
"Live to love and love to live."

Leo Buscaglia

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2006, 09:15:31 am »
Newt

I've read your opening post 3 times and love it!  You started something with this you know.  I see at least 3 other threads going on now cause of it!

RAB

(P.S.  Put the other photo back up!  The one with the reflection in the mirror!  You know damn well which one I'm talking about!)

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2006, 09:39:06 pm »
Matt -- that's funny..  I love the new Battlestar Galactica, and you're the first person I've found that watches it.  It's great T.V.

The New York Times Sunday Magazine did a big story on it last year.  If you'd like, I'll find it online and email you a copy -- it's a good read.

Oh, and I've been to Brighton.  I visited for a day or two during school break when I was a student at the London School of Economics in 1981/82.  FYI -- I had my first gay sex in London on my 20th birthday in early '81, so I'm very fond of the Brits.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 09:42:36 pm by Peter Staley »

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2006, 06:28:51 pm »
Thanks  Matt  :).. I was wondering if the " voices of experience " would reveal about them selves..at least a little......  :-*:-*.
Very interesting story ....still alone?? ...are you a sailor?   ..I am a great fan of Battlestar Gallacticca"    ... the new season is about to start here in the USA in two weeks....I have seen every episode up to now...our video rental store has all the back series on discs..so occasionally go back to early series and re-live the story....
I lived near London for 4 yrs..had a chance to travel over many parts of England/ Scotland,,we loved it......Cornwall is at least as beautiful as you say it is...kind of a dreamy place   versus,  say Brighton...a little less dreamy there, still nice to visit.

Dont listen to suggestions about pics..the hoody has a real "mysterious" and dreamy look about it .. makes you look like a mature teenager.....

I might follow the lead if you start an intro thread......can we put direct links to each?? from a post??

Nick
Dallas TX
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 06:33:16 pm by pozniceguy »
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline gaysaywhat

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2006, 11:58:22 pm »
When I first came to this site in Nov 2004 (I thinks that's the date) Matt's yours was one of the first posts I read. I've learned many things from you. I've also always had a crush on you

Offline poobear

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2006, 12:07:56 am »
Hi Matt I find it very interesting to know the person behind the face.  You did a real nice job describing yourself.  Very nice to meet you.  Rachel

Offline newt

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2006, 02:24:44 am »
Nick, "mature teenager" might be, er, spot on .... :D

- matt

Now playing up: my leftside groin lymph node (but why?)

PS: it's easy to put a link from, say, yr signature to a post introducing yourself once you;ve made the post - under the Forum Profile Information section from your Profile just add in:

Code: [Select]
[url=the_link_address_to_the_post_goes_here]Some description or other here for the link[/url]
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 02:38:03 am by newt »

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2006, 09:27:40 am »

PS: it's easy to put a link from, say, yr signature to a post introducing yourself once you;ve made the post - under the Forum Profile Information section from your Profile just add in:

Code: [Select]
[url=the_link_address_to_the_post_goes_here]Some description or other here for the link[/url]

Thanks for the technical assistance  :)

Offline bubble

• hanging in there.
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2006, 10:53:11 pm »
thank god for you.
diagnosed 03/08/05
reluctantly started my first combo (Kaletra/Truvada) on 09/28/06 cause my tcells were dropping and vl increasing.
01/26/07 - undetectable!
12/01/08 - started new combo because of problems with Kaletra. Now on Truvada/Isentress.
Still undetectable. :)

Offline RevMC

• It's me!
    • Psychic AwakeningSchool.com
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2006, 10:21:13 pm »
Matt,

It's a pleasure to meet you.  I've enjoyed hearing from you in some threads on the boards.

You make England sound so beautiful where you are.  Makes me want to go for a visit.  Hmmmm, maybe when life get's crazier and I need a vacation, I'll have to go visit and sit by the beath when the tide goes out.  Maybe I can find a hot man to help me climb back up the rocks when the tide starts coming back in.

Again, it's a pleasure to meet you.

Love and Light,

Rev. Michael
Part of my story: "Sale Of A Lifetime" POZ December 2003
https://www.poz.com/article/Sale-of-a-Lifetime-752-6797

Started on Truvada and Viramune on 2/15/07

Jan 8, 2007   t-cells 215  Viral Load 10,000  24%
March 26'th  T-cells 306   Viral Load  UNDETECTABLE
June 2007 t-cells 375 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE
August 2007 t-cells 290 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE

Love and Light and Reiki sent your way,
Rev. Michae

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2006, 11:35:53 pm »
I enjoyed the Intro too, Newt. Nice to meet ya...It seems you have a bit of a following...But has to admit that I think you are sexy too even though I know I wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell........has been noticing a lot of sexy men on this forum.... ;)....sometimes I wish.....*sighs*
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 11:37:27 pm by Queen Akasha »
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline RobT

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2006, 11:41:06 pm »
Newt-
Thanx for the re introduction. Mb I shud do the same and re introduce  myself. I will pretty soon have a picture up on this site, Jeromy is currently working on it. If I cud ever finish the remainder of my classwork b4 this quarter ends and b4 I leave for London; if I have time to spare, I will submit another introduction of myself.

RobT
Current meds: Atripla
VL: undetectable
CD4: 630

Offline Javicho

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2006, 11:25:22 am »
Nice to meet to meet you Matt, saunas I'm so there!!!!!!!!!!

Offline roscoe

• I'm think im dealing with this pretty good!
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2006, 10:12:49 pm »
Thanks for sharing. Wish me Roscoe

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.