Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:29:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 357
Total: 359

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: " rainbows" don't come in a box. . . but this will do.  (Read 6444 times)

Offline klouny

• ~ can you see me now~
" rainbows" don't come in a box. . . but this will do.
« on: August 08, 2011, 10:51:21 pm »
. ...sigh *
I've exhausted all of my usual forms of coping and trying to feel better. so just thought perhaps venting on here would help.

I just recently moved away from home, first time on my own ( not living with a family member, but with a good friend ). I thought this would be a good chance for me to learn how to live on my own, be more independent, and in a way make myself and my family proud.

I moved to Arkansas ( a state my friend requested ); the state is beautiful, and I enjoy my friend's company. . . but it just feels like a made a huge mistake. I was initially going to leave home on good terms, but after some family problems ( mainly with my stepfather ) it now feels like I was kicked out. and my family are still battling it out while I'm gone. I miss them, but I don't have the guts to tell them.

I was supposed to move here and begin classes this coming semester ( starting August 30Th ), but I don't think that will happen, mainly because I haven't had the chance to do all my transferring things done. . . I've spent countless nights awake and depressed. . . I'm feeling bad because I feel like I'm ignoring my health. .  and other things I don't have the guts to mention on here. . . .

* sigh*

so I thought I'd resort to something I truly enjoyed about my senior year in high school; which was a pact my mom and I had. that I would wear, and look however I wanted. so long as I buckled down and look more " mature and professional" after high school. so. . . in a good old OHS Kowboy spirit ( <-- my high school )
I dyed my hair Blue :D

Just needed to vent. . .
~Strange ideas are Superfluous and unoriginal~

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: " rainbows" don't come in a box. . . but this will do.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 11:09:30 pm »
Hi Klouny . I wish I knew the magic words to make you feel better but all I have is a similar story to share but mine took place over 30 years ago .

Your story reminded me of when I first moved out on my own . I couldn't wait to move into my first apartment but what I remember most about that first few months was crying like a baby and feeling all alone and broke because I never had so many bills to pay ... not to mention being  a little hungry until I learned to cook . I think I had high expectations but the reality of independence took some getting used to . Things did work out and I had a blast in my own place after that adjustment period .

I hope things get better for you , keep us informed and thanks for the memories .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline surf18

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 11:31:17 pm »
ha yep me too. i hated it when i moved out. i couldnt wait to be on my own. moved in with a friend i didnt know well. ended up hating him right  away. it took me no time to realize how expensive it was on ones own. all the things i took for granted at my parents house, i now had to pay for. toothpaste,tissues,toilet paper,contact cleaner,food,cable etc.
it was terrible culture shock.i moved from a nice house to a shit hole apt with an asshole roommate. i bought my mom a dozen roses and begged her to let me come back home. she said no it was time for me to be on my own. (later on in years she told me that was the hardest thing she ever did but new it was the right thing to do,she was right)
but eventually i got used to the change and the roomate moved out and it got to be awesome living on my own. couldnt even stand to go away with my parents after living on my own.hahahaha
your so lucky your young and have your whole life ahead of you. you can do and be anything you want to be.you can live anywhere you want to. embrace this freedom!

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 01:11:15 am »
Hey Klouny,

What you are experiencing is normal ---completely normal. This is your first move. I've had more than 20 addresses and particularly when you move out of state, getting blue (not hair) or depressed is common within the first six weeks. Change brings it on -- plus you've got the whammy of family upheaval in your absence.

Do yourself a favor. Go slowly. Go to the nearest grocery store---get familiar with the aisles and products, do they have a nearby bakery. Get your bearings. You'll come around. But, one important thing. Reads as if you do need to pick up the phone and call the school -- find out what's going on and if you can salvage getting in by 8-27. MOST schools want students and will do things to accommodate them and they know you're young and don't handle paperwork everyday.  I hope to read a post from you that says you're in.

I love the fact that you dyed your hair blue. I think colored hair is great! I don't have the guts to do it -- but some day, I think I'm just going to bleach a large swath and go through a week of each of the bold colors and get it out of my system.

Em

Offline klouny

• ~ can you see me now~
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 03:48:14 am »
 :)
thanks to those of you that replied. made me feel a whole lot better.
I know that what I'm feeling is probably normal for someone my age who's moving out
for the first time, and eventually I'll of this will get better.

as far as the school goes, I have to do a letter for the dean of the school since I'm a transfer student.
so I'm super nervous about that, but I got one done. also my college in florida still hasn't sent my transcripts.
which is slowing things down for me here with registration. but I'll be pushing to start this semester.

btw Em. I've had my hair almost every color of the rainbow. from blue, red, purple, even white for two days :P
just felt like I needed a little reminder of the good times.

I'm hoping to update this post saying I was able to get into school this semester sometime soon.
thanks again for your stories and supports guys. it was super helpful, and made me feel 110% better

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 07:27:47 am »
Why would you want to go home to a battling family?

Do the transfer stuff now!, and go to college, where you will meet more people and become part of a new community.  That's exciting.

Why can't you tell your family you miss them?!!!  That's sweet, so just tell them.  That doesn't mean you have to go back there to live.  You are in the new place to do something new.  You can always call home once a week, sounds about right, and go visit too.

If you are not habitually a late night person, better to nip this current vampire trend in the bud.  Get up early and go do something in your new town.  Maybe get a morning job?

Now finally you got us "mature" types interested to know the "other things" you don't have the guts to talk about here, but are worrying you.  Spill.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 08:52:09 am »
:)
thanks to those of you that replied. made me feel a whole lot better.
I know that what I'm feeling is probably normal for someone my age who's moving out
for the first time, and eventually I'll of this will get better.

as far as the school goes, I have to do a letter for the dean of the school since I'm a transfer student.
so I'm super nervous about that, but I got one done. also my college in florida still hasn't sent my transcripts.
which is slowing things down for me here with registration. but I'll be pushing to start this semester.

btw Em. I've had my hair almost every color of the rainbow. from blue, red, purple, even white for two days :P
just felt like I needed a little reminder of the good times.

I'm hoping to update this post saying I was able to get into school this semester sometime soon.
thanks again for your stories and supports guys. it was super helpful, and made me feel 110% better

Hi K,

Great post! Good news! Glad you're feeling better. Can you call the Florida school's admissions office  directly to ask the status of the transcripts? I would imagine they could send via fax or e-mail .pdfs to expedite the process. They get calls like this all the time.  

You may be unique, but a post-move funk is something you may experience in the future as well. It's a natural reaction. Worth noting cause when you're headlong in a downer it's easy to lose perspective as to what got you there.

I think I'm headed toward colored hair -- building up the nerve to do it despite working in a conservative environment. I have colored clipins -- but that ain't the real deal and I never wear them to work.  I digress.

So, this was a good uplifting thread to read during a somber week of loss in the forum family, our armed forces, the investment spheres, and most tragic, Somalia.

Em

Offline klouny

• ~ can you see me now~
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 03:46:59 pm »

Why can't you tell your family you miss them?!!!  That's sweet, so just tell them.
\

lol It might be sweet, but it would be totally out of character for me. I can't express myself like that so openly, even with family and long time friends. most of them know that and don't expect it. but I do plan on talking to family on the phone and telling them how I'm doing and eventually visiting

as for the other things bugging me. . . they are mostly having to deal with other people's emotions and my own at the moment. not sure ya'll want to hear all those " gushy-gushy" details

Em, I have called them and they said my transcript have been sent, but I haven't received anything from the school. and transcripts can't be faxed ( from what they told me ) they need to be sent by mail.

I know this post-move funk is probably normal, which is why I'm trying to stay outdoors as much as I can. finding a job, getting school things ready, getting medical help here, and just looking around. arkansas is GORGEOUS, I live close-close to the Ozark mountains and I'm still speechless at how green and pretty things here are.

hopefully I can bring about more good news later in the month. I had a job interview today and it went pretty decent, the HR person was super nice. so I'm crossing my fingers I get this job. and I'm also super happy, a long time friend of mine is back in the states. she's my navy-girl, and she's back and safe from deployment. so I"m super-super happy hearing from her.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 03:51:46 pm »
We are gonna need a picture of the blue hair darling.

-WIll
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline klouny

• ~ can you see me now~
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 07:37:04 pm »
I'm gonna experiment a little more with my hair first. that blue color faded WAY too quickly. and I have to bleach my tips again and find a decent hair color brand.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 08:08:52 pm »

lol It might be sweet, but it would be totally out of character for me. I can't express myself like that so openly, even with family and long time friends. most of them know that and don't expect it.

You post sounded much more up. Bravo.
Oh, and grow up and tell the people you love you miss them.  Everyone will feel better all around.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 10:10:17 pm »
The school is right, transcripts cannot be faxed, almost nothing coming from a school can be faxed, it's something to do with privacy laws and other people could see  the papers.  I assume that they are official transcripts, they have to be in a sealed envelope with the words "official transcripts", that's the only difference between official and un-official ones, two little words.

Do like Mecch says and call your family.  When I moved to FL. my dad and I didn't have too good of a relationship.   I talked to him or his wife once a week for most of the time I lived out of state and that seemed to help.

As a Broncos fan I have ask:  did ya paint an orange stripe in your hair also?  Kool aid always worked good for me as a hair color.  I use clairol for my regular hair dye, although since i started taking my medicine I haven't had much luck with hair coloring staying in as long as it used to.

Good luck with the school stuff.

Michelle 8)
How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 10:20:33 pm »
although since i started taking my medicine I haven't had much luck with hair coloring staying in as long as it used to.
sorry for going OT; but just like the misquitoes seem to bite more and cause bigger welts after starting meds, I have also noticed the hair dye not lasting as long.  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 01:22:21 am »
Michelle's right, but an unofficial transcript (which could help tide you over until the official watermarked documents arrive in their mail) can be faxed by a school and/or accessed through many college sites (if they have the service set up).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:34:55 am by emeraldize »

Offline klouny

• ~ can you see me now~
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 01:58:56 am »
Kool aid always worked good for me as a hair color.  I use clairol for my regular hair dye, although since i started taking my medicine I haven't had much luck with hair coloring staying in as long as it used to.

awesome trick, never thought of using kool-aid like that, but I guess it would act more like a " stain " and not a dye and last less time? but it's hard for me because I have really dark brown hair and it's " virgin" right now, so it's taking a while to take out my natural color, so the dye isn't sticking in. but the more I use the same color the more it should stick in I think.

my troubles are with cool hair colors, they either change or fade quicker. warmer colors stick longer, but I don't like warmer colors that much :(
except when my hair was orange and red

as far as the school thing, I NEED those official transcripts. I asked about using the unofficial ones, and they said it was a no go. since I need to see which of my credits will transfer and which won't. but hopefully it will get here this week. otherwise I told the school  to send a copy to my aunt and one to my sister, and they can send over-night through fedex or whatever.

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 10:19:44 am »
 I have also noticed the hair dye not lasting as long.  ;)

Nice 'n' Easy, Leather?   
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline klouny

• ~ can you see me now~
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 08:43:45 pm »
well got me some good/bad news. . . well, it's more so-so news
anyways. I called the postal services because I haven't recieved any mail at my new address
even though I had made it so that my mail would start being forwarded here starting July 20th.
and still nothing, that includes my school transcripts :(
but I called the college I want to go too. and they said that I could begin my registration since
they have my FAFSA ( financial aid ) info. and that I could talk to the dean ( since I'm a transfer student
I have to do so ).
but hopefully I can get my transcripts by the end of this week, or monday. that would speed things up for me.
the post office customer service lady told me to wait two more days then call again. . . how frustrating
for some reason it feels like they're not taking me seriously cause I sound young on the phone

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 10:43:55 pm »
That's good news from the registrar's office!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.