Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:41:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 226
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 201
Total: 202

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ethics Vs Morality  (Read 18749 times)

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
Re: Ethics Vs Morality
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2007, 01:26:53 pm »
But the basis of all those things, a belief in a deity who gives a shit in some way... is one that can be rationally expressed.  There are hundreds of proofs for God's existence (and just as many proofs for his nonexistence).  All of them are faulty in some way... but the fact that people have been trying to prove his existence rationally for years, and have been able to convince many people smarter than you or me to accept that belief... speaks to religion being more than something based on emotive reasons.

I view religion as an attempt to explain questions for which humans will probably never know the answer or for which there is no answer.  Why are we here?  What is our place in the cosmos?  What occurs when individual life ceases?   What is moral (right) and immoral?  Religion played a significant role in "civilizing" humans (while often spurring believers into acts of incredible barbarism against nonbelievers) but religion's expiration date passed at least a century ago.   It played a necessary role but now the diversity and continued violently opposing tenets of major religions make it a hindrance to further human progress.

Just because 90% of the world believes in religion doesn't signify much.  More than 90% of the world, including the most intelligent, believed the sun revolved around earth and had numerous proofs.  The earth was flat for thousands of years.  Many early humans based religious beliefs pantheistically, with nature embodying the deities affecting their lives.   Humans have enslaved other humans, and still do, basing their justifications on intellectual rationalizations.   Hitler had supporters worldwide and but for a few almost accidental events we might be living in a Nazi state.  Many of Hitler's supporters were people of great intelligence and various religious beliefs.  Even some Jews supported him.

The human intellect is not infallible by any means.  We still hold beliefs based on empirical evidence which will be proved wrong by future empiricism.    Look at the radical advances in such sciences as physics or medicine (ha!) over the last 100 years.   I agree religion has been sustained by the intellectual efforts of many brilliant people but eventually others will lead humanity away from religion to a system of ethics which encompasses all of humanity and not a chosen few.  I'm not holding my breath, though. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 01:28:38 pm by Boo Radley »
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2007, 01:37:04 pm »
I love you, Auntie R, in case you forgot.

Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline wishihadacat

• Therainstorm.com
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2007, 03:32:42 pm »
As this is always an interesting topic for me, I feel compelled to toss my hat into the ring, and you are all free to trample on it as you wish.

Our only obligations as conscious beings are to Fairness, Integrity, and Truth.  You don't need to read a book to know it, and you don't need anyone else - with a title or not -  to remind you.

HIV/HCV + 28 years, and I sleep very well at night.
Your name here  X_______________

Offline wishihadacat

• Therainstorm.com
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2007, 03:42:36 pm »
And yes, Boo, religions are there to explain the unknown and calm our uncertainties. We want to believe that there is a big mommy or daddy in the sky somewhere we can always go run to for help.

This illuminating syllogism is brought to you by our sponsor.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 04:54:41 pm by wishihadacat »
Your name here  X_______________

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2007, 04:46:14 pm »
Whatever,

We are the most hated people on this earth (us queers).  Which is why if some dawg slopes off down the bathhouse and gets his rocks off without regard to public health it's still okay by me. Draw me a map of the most democratic nations on Earth and colour in the counties where you can do simple thing like hold your man's hand at the bus stop and not get the shit beaten out of you and I'll show you (1) small pieces of land where you ain't gotta be brave or stupid (2) a map of formalised religion that holds the money, land and reins of government, Metropolitan Church notwithstanding.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2007, 09:40:51 am »
Brent...

I share your view on many things including the need for personal ethics...and spirituality.  It never ceases to
amaze me how judgmental and intolerant some so called "Christians" can be....suggesting to me that many of these people know
nothing of the God they profess to love.  I grew up in a home ( a preacher's kid) and having been indoctrinated as a child...had to
dispel many things I had learn as a fledging Christian ( the fire and brimstone part for starters) and create my own personal bond with God. 
Not unlike morality, spirituality is a person choice.....One we must all make for ourselves and unless others try to push their version
of religion on me, I am quite content to accept that others may hold different views or beliefs. 

Despite being written by "nomads" as you put it, the Holy Bible is a tool for us to use.  Having been written, edited, translated
by the Jewish faith and passed down thru years, it provides us with the basics of human morality and the need for love and compassion
for our fellow man.  Those who use it to rebuke or divide or destroy others of the human race have chosen to ignore it basic teachings.
Personally I don't know how anyone can take it literally knowing that man himself wrote it, knowing that "the church" edited and deleted
certain passages and books they found to be disagreeable and considering all the translations and translators involved.  Nor do I believe
the Holy Bible is the only book of its kind.  Around the world there are other books and beliefs...the Koran, the teachings of Buddah and
so on....

Without love and respect for one another ...without tolerance and forgiveness.... Words like Ethics and Morality mean nothing.

In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.