Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:38:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 359
Total: 360

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Changing Jobs - Could use some advice  (Read 3993 times)

Offline wow1969

Changing Jobs - Could use some advice
« on: November 09, 2009, 08:28:56 am »
Hi,

After being miserable at my current job for years, I've decided to being looking for a new position. But I'm nervous to do so having HIV. What do I need to be aware of? How will this affect transferring insurace? What about interview questions? Any advice you can provide will be helpful.

Thanks and have a splendorific day :-)

Offline skeebo1969

Re: Changing Jobs - Could use some advice
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 03:05:12 pm »

Concerning getting a new job you don't have to be aware of anything.  Well unless you had aspirations of them letting you go assist our troops in Iraq, because that won't happen.  The only issue you might run into is if your new employer's insurance has a pre existing clause which would mean you would have a waiting period before you could join.

As far as interviews go you don't have to worry unless she or he wants to have sex with you, then you may want to disclose your status to them especially if they don't like condoms. ;)  Other than that you are good to go.  Congrats on making the decision to leave a job that causes you misery.  Many people never find the courage to do so.  Good luck job hunting!
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline wow1969

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 03:19:44 pm »
thank you for the information, this is the first time i've changed jobs since finding out that my body is forever altered.  so i'm not exactly sure what to watch out for

can anyone explain more about dealing with transitioning from one company to another and dealing with their insurance? what do i have to look out for? questoins i should ask ... sorry if this seems dumb but i've never gone job hunting before as an hiv'er ... i dont' want to do something dumb that can be used against me later if that makes sense

thank you again, i've been debating for three years to get out of this job and it's time - it's time for me to find some happiness in the work place, or at least less stress and anxiety

hugz

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 03:39:17 pm »

The place I work at has a great HR department that is staffed with people who are well knowledged on matters dealing with insurance, 401 k matters, time off, etc., etc..  So for me it was easy to get adjusted to the job separately from my dealings with HR on issues regarding my status/insurance.  My wife also switched jobs and insurance and we ultimately went with hers.  There was no issue what so ever.  Having an employer with a great and knowledgeable HR department makes a world of difference though I am sure.

You shouldn't ever be denied healthcare coverage by an employer who regularly offers healthcare for their employees.  That would be discrimination and most employers and insurance companies know this today.  Like I said earlier, if anything there may be a preexisting clause which would mean you would have to wait.  In some cases I've heard it can be up to a year.

You don't have to let your employer know anything regarding your status by the way.  You also do not have to tell HR.  The only reason I did was because #1. I was having some health issues.  #2 I needed their help in choosing between my wife's plan and the one offered at my job.  My wife never told her employer and they switched her from her other insurance to theirs immediately upon hire and that has been about 5 years now and there never has been any issues.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 06:03:22 pm »
Congratulations on following your heart and getting a better job!

As someone who always worked, I took the plunge and left a job of over 25 years in 2006 when the culture there started to change.  I consulted for a while and found another position through one of my clients where I am now and have been for a few years.

I maintained my health coverage all the while. Being HIV+ did not hinder me.

You should, however, be aware of the following bits of critical health coverage information (such as not letting your coverage lapse and you being able to pay--out of pocket-- the cost of COBRA--the monthly health care premium before your new employer starts paying) that should assist you in your job transition.

http://www.cobrahealth.com/companyplan.html

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/publications/protecting_benefits.html

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_hipaa.html

Take care.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 06:18:14 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline nycpoz

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 08:30:22 pm »

Like I said earlier, if anything there may be a preexisting clause which would mean you would have to wait.  In some cases I've heard it can be up to a year.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I read somewhere that preexisting clause comes only if you have discontinued insurance (gap of more than 60 days and not on cobra). If you have continuous insurance one employer to another or Ist emp - cobra - 2nd emp then there is no preexisting clause.

thanks.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 08:46:19 pm »
Please excuse my ignorance, but I read somewhere that preexisting clause comes only if you have discontinued insurance (gap of more than 60 days and not on cobra). If you have continuous insurance one employer to another or Ist emp - cobra - 2nd emp then there is no preexisting clause.

thanks.

Yes, that's pretty much what I have read also. And if you do have more than 60 (or is it 63?) days, then the pre-existing condition clause can be applied only up to the amount of time you were without insurance. Meaning if you get a new job and you were without coverage for, say, 3 months, they can apply a pre-existing condition clause for up to 3 months only (maximum of up to one year).

If you have uninterrupted coverage (called "creditable coverage") then they cannot apply any pre-existing condition clause.

This is all spelled out under current HIPAA laws; one of the forum members,  Madbrain, is a resident expert. There are several threads about this you can search and/or you can PM him.

Also, thebody.com has a Workplace & Insurance Q&A Forum that is very informative:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Workplace/index.html
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 08:50:57 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 01:27:35 am »

Hmm interesting.  I always heard about it, but never knew someone that actually had to deal with one (pre-existing clause).  Now I know why.  I know five years ago it was a concern of mine.  In any event if what you two say is correct then that is definitely a great thing.

Offline wow1969

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 06:40:33 pm »
Thank you for all the information.

Offline onemoretime

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 08:31:08 pm »
Yep.   don't let your insurance lapse.   the pre existing contition wont matter if you have no lapse like previously stated.   if you work for a large company and go to another large company most stuff should stay the same.  watch out for diss ability polocys.    If you work for a large company you can get disability but may have 90 days to 12 months waiting period.  this is the only way you can get disabilty ins with HIV is through employer based group rates.   If you are currently enrolled in an old one with 80% coverage,  u will probably only have 50 to 60% availalbe now days.   I have changed jobs 3 times post HIV. 
08/04 diag 490 cd4 vl 50,000
10/25/05 436 50,513 hvb 1.1 billion
12/13/05 truvada sustiva
02/16/06 742 und, hpb 63,000
04/27/06 740 und hpb 60,000
01/05/07 458 und hvb und
03/08   470 undetectable still on atripla. Non smoking (chantex)
08/08 cd4 550 undetectable hiv, Hep B UND. Atripla
06/09  cd4 444, vl undetectable testo 130
09/09/09 CD4 687 46% UND  Testo 213 started androgel
10/12/09 cd4 682 46% und testo 597
01/12/10 cd4 842 48% und testo 434
041010 cd4 693  53% testo 492
100410 cd4 568 48% testo 523
012711 cd4 523 hcv 56 testo 596
083011 cd4 280 Hcv/HIV und
042912 cd4 158 hcv /hiv und, was on hep c for 11 months. do have ssdi filed and getting LTD
061912 cd4 151, bactrum, hep c and hiv und
071712 cd4 287 52% HIV HCV und
112012 cd4 520

Offline wow1969

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 09:28:00 pm »
You know, I'm looking through the information and realizing that my physical health isn't nearly as at risk as my financial health ... this freaking disease could drive me into the poor house if i'm not careful ... i haven't worked as hard as i have to lose it all to this ... thank you for the information so far, the more the better, insurance is like a bowl of noodles

Offline decayingsinner

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 09:49:50 pm »
Congrats on working towards a path that will much better your quality of life (hopefully it does).  I have been wanting to get back into to health care and have had some of the same concerns. This information was very beneficial. Good luck to you as well.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.