Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:06:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 374
Total: 377

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV Treatment guidelines and Blood draw time  (Read 3454 times)

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
HIV Treatment guidelines and Blood draw time
« on: May 26, 2008, 02:13:20 am »
Hi,

as many have already observed, the counts are changing a lot depending on the time at which the blood draw is made.

For example for this guy:
http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Labs/Current/Q193038.html

CD4: 8AM ranges between 400 to 550. 8PM ranges between 750 and 1000
CD4%: between 48 to 54 percent

Same for me.

So the question: why the HIV Treatment Guideline do not standardize blood draw time to evaluate the CD4 ?

For e.g.: If CD4 < 350 8PM etc..

John

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: HIV Treatment guidelines and Blood draw time
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 03:29:38 am »
o.O

It's well known that variety of factors impact upon individual CD4 results. Such factors include the time of day. For this reason lab results such as CD4 counts are best viewed as trends over time rather than trying to derive some meaning from an individual result viewed in isolation.

MtD

Offline jportland

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 04:54:24 am »
I was diagnosed over 5 years ago... I knew then that the time of day that blood was drawn probably was a factor and was even told then that it was by doctors.... So what I did to make sure my trend was correct was for 5 years I scheduled my blood draws ALL with in an hour of each other... For 5 years I scheduled them took them between 2pm and 3pm..Always. If they couldn't get me in on the day I wanted between 2 and 3 I would pick another day.. And we watched and waited and after 5 years I went on meds and felt confident in my numbers becuz I had gone at almost the exact same time of day for years thus in the evaluating of them I felt that they were true in nature to what was going on in my body and that the trend was an honest one. I also waited until my Tcells were in the low 200's... They were there for quite sometime as well before i went on meds.( see my chart below).. It was due to my viral load finally going up that i went on meds in combination with my tcells as well but ....So if Tcells are higher at nite than morning and I took mine in late afternoon then I doubt mine were much higher at nite a few hours later and general guidelines are now to start at 350 and I started mine at 230 then I feel confident that I did not wait to long nor could I have waited longer either.... So for me it worked out well... Cuz if they really were a little bit higher at nite so be it cuz I still would have started them even if they were 100 higher at 350. But I had been in the low numbers for a couple years so... I doubt taking my tcells at 3pm vs 8pm ( a 5 hour difference) would have made THAT huge of a difference... and again you also need to factor in viral load... cuz THAT is what really prompted me to start meds in the first place as it jumped from the low thousands to well over 100 thousand... So to each their own.  But I waited as long as possible and I believe that I started at the rite time. Especially after reading that and bringing in all the equasions and such for me doin them all in the afternoon which would probably make them on the higher side and the fact that I took blood draws at almost the same time constantly makes me feel that it worked. How time flys but I made a consious choice years ago and thought that it WOULD matter what time I took blood draws and also that I should do them at almost the exact same time every time to get the most realistic number. And now it looks like there is proof that it could actually matter... Interesting... Glad I did it the way I did for so long as it may have paid off. Maybe and maybe not but I am glad I did it the way I did as it certainly made ME feel better in the REAL numbers of it. Also if you look at my chart below you will see that my number didn't change THAT much over 5 years and or that drastically... I wonder if they way I did it and by taking my blood at the same time everytime had something to do with it and maybe it is more accurate becuz of it?! Now that I have JUST started meds in March I think I will change my blood draw time to 4pm and 5pm everytime thus perhaps getting the highest number possible in tcells at one of the last possible appointments during the day for labs.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 05:45:18 am by jportland »
2001 tested neg
8/2002  seroconvert
9/2002 Tested Poz
No Meds
2/2003 302/25% 76K
9/2004 463/23% 14K
8/2005 342/22% 19K
7/2006 381/29% 24K
3/2007 386/34% 34K
3/2008 230/21% 269K
3/2008  Started Meds
7/2008 485/23% VL 140
9/2008 465/24% VL Undetectable
1/2010 581/29% VL Undectectable

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 11:30:55 am »
Hi,

as many have already observed, the counts are changing a lot depending on the time at which the blood draw is made.

For example for this guy:
http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Labs/Current/Q193038.html

CD4: 8AM ranges between 400 to 550. 8PM ranges between 750 and 1000
CD4%: between 48 to 54 percent

Same for me.

So the question: why the HIV Treatment Guideline do not standardize blood draw time to evaluate the CD4 ?

For e.g.: If CD4 < 350 8PM etc..

John

Well, first, guidelines should not dictate a time, because it may not be possible for everyone to have their blood drawn at whatever time is arbitrarily decided.  Not to mention that this difference may not have much to do with the "time of day", but more with the person's own "body clock", so that a person who works the night shift may find their differences to be opposite of someone who works the day shift.

So, while it is true that an individual's CD4 level can be different at different times of the day -- the best way to control for that is for each individual to try and have their blood drawn around the same time.  My doctor has recommended that from the get-go and I think every doctor should.  I always get mine drawn between 8 and 9 in the morning.

Mike

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 11:48:18 am »
I've always been told to try and have my blood work drawn at the same time of day, on a relatively empty stomach.

Old news.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline hankgaguy

• June2008
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 12:18:22 pm »
It's more the trend than the figures. I used to freak when I saw the CD-4 count increasing at a decreasing rate than the VL decline and then slight decreases (likely now due to the timing of the draws, I see, LOL).

I just look at the trends. I really no longer keep the results and track everything. No sense in numbers, just the trends and the faith that things will and truly get better.

I'm type AAAAAAA+, so if I were to track things, I would be a wreck, LOL.

Tim
Healthy, Happy, and Kickin' Butt

Offline aliveinla

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 12:47:36 pm »
my doc didn't tell me any of these but i figured out by doing my own internet research. My doc's attitude is somewhat like: just go ahead and take the meds and be done with it, because I think he thinks meds now are safe, and with a big vl, I might be running around infecting other people, so when i told him i had 3 sex partners last week, (all safe), he wasn't very happy.
4/24/07: Last tested Neg
1/22/08: First tested Poz
1/30/08: CD4 393; 28%; VL: 44k
3/18/08: CD4 218; 26%; VL: 222K
4/24/08: CD4 402; 26%; VL: lab forgot
7/22/08: CD4 405; 25%; VL: 6,780
10/15/08: CD4 340, 26%; VL: N/A
2/4/09: CD4 394, 26%; VL: N/A
Jun 09: CD4 300, 25%; VL: 4000
Oct 09: CD4 324, 23%, VL: 10K
11/22/09: started Atripla
11/20/11: CD4 405; VL: UD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.