Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:23:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 216
Total: 218

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Oral Risk Question  (Read 14034 times)

Offline riskyornot

Oral Risk Question
« on: January 05, 2009, 07:28:38 pm »
Just trying to gather an answer here. I've been told elsewhere at another reputable site that I didn't have any risk in receiving oral sex from a female. I'm a male. However, I'm curious about a few things. During the exposure, I had a scratch on my penis, the next day it was worse then when I received the oral. During the oral it wasn't bleeding, just rough skin. I didn't notice any blood on my penis or sores on her lips or tongue (where I'd figure my penis would come in contact with blood if present). After the oral, I noticed pain when urinating and in my testicle, so I've taken other STD tests today. I'm curious to know the following:

1. If there was blood in her mouth and a scrape on my penis, though it didnt look like she bled on my penis, is this a significant means to transmission?

2. Would the saliva in her mouth (obvious flowing a good bit during the act) be enough to inhibit any virus that was present, whether high or low? I understand that the mouth isn't a hospitable place for any type of virus, let alone a fragile one like this to transmit? Is that true. That technically thats 'outside' the body, cause temperatures in the mouth are far different then the vagina/anus

3. The case studies done, with magneta couples, are they more trustworthy cause of being a controlled study then just patient reports, and the no documented cases thing thats right?

4. If another STD is present in her mouth, does that change the risk any? Or make it more likely to transmit?

5. I've noticed some 'conservative' sites list as a low risk, I take it you guys/gals are on the cutting edge of lit, etc?

6. Finally, I won't be a ww over this as so many are, advice is advice. My DR today didnt even mention HIV testing when I spoke with him about my symptoms and testing for the other stds. *IF* any of those come back positive should I be concerned about HIV? - I have not had unprotected vaginal/anal sex, since my last negative test.

Thanks.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Oral Risk Question
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 07:40:18 pm »
1. No risk
2. Yes, saliva would inhibit HIV transmission
3. Very reliable, they were tested
4. No
5. They haven't kept up on the scientific data
6. No

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 10:15:05 pm »
You are worrying needlessly. In the entire history of the epidemic and uncountable numbers of billions of blowjobs later, no guy has ever been confirmed to have been infected from getting oral. And that includes with nicks, sores, bruises and whatever else on the penis.

Getting oral is ZERO risk for HIV transmission. Period. End of story.
Andy Velez

Offline riskyornot

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 12:18:11 pm »
This might sound silly, but I noticed what looked to be blood behind my finger nail, after I had fingered her. I didnt notice it anywhere else on my finger, I had some broken skin on my finger, but it wasnt bleeding. Anything to be worried about? I've read theres no documented cases on such, but how about with these circumstances. Also seeing as theres not a 'vaccum effect' of blood entering any wound, or its not a moucous membrane, doesnt it really make it anatomically impossible? Way I see it for oral too in a way, make sense?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 12:21:20 pm by riskyornot »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 12:31:58 pm »
Again no risk. HIV is not transmitted by fingering.

Offline riskyornot

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 01:50:31 pm »
Thanks guys, appreciate it. All tests for possible logical things came back negative, seeing as this isn't a risk, I'll move on knowing that I'm fine. God bless.

Offline riskyornot

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 08:40:10 pm »
You are worrying needlessly. In the entire history of the epidemic and uncountable numbers of billions of blowjobs later, no guy has ever been confirmed to have been infected from getting oral. And that includes with nicks, sores, bruises and whatever else on the penis.

Getting oral is ZERO risk for HIV transmission. Period. End of story.

I trust both you and Rod's words. Just curious about a few questions, because I might be starting a new relationship with a woman I like soon, which I'll be using protection for intercourse.

1. The whole 1:20,000 risk, I've even seen that disproved by a DR at John Hopkins and here, is that number basically pulled out of thin air?

2. I'd assume since there wasnt copious amounts of blood, and saliva itself not infectious, even if there was little blood from her to a healing break in my skin, it doesnt change much? HIV transmitted only INSIDE the body (mouth-to-penile is far from inside, seems almost like anatomy wouldnt allow) It needs direct route, aka blood into vein/artery, vaginal/anal sex?

3. I've heard of 'reported' cases for the GIVER but not the RECEIVER pretty much everywhere, is this pretty much the universal non-overly conservative approach.

4. I'd like to move on, just with this final note, so I don't have to feel like I'm putting anyone at risk. I've tested negative a few months ago, just as a checkup. Have not had any other exposures since other then the blowjob. So I have not put myself at risk for HIV, in turn I'm not putting anyone else in either, right?

I'll take your opinion as is, promise. Since I've tested clean for other STDs, and this apparently isn't a risk, just wanted to be sure.

Once again, Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 08:43:30 pm by riskyornot »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 09:00:26 pm »
Again you were never at risk of contracting HIV.

Offline riskyornot

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 03:38:36 pm »
Ok my anxiety is just too much. Unfortunately I strayed and read and read all over the net not to mention a recent post right here in this very forum (and also even in a forum which I'm not supposed to be) and saw a claim that this is how it happened to him. So I've decided to test at 4 weeks. From what I've read and been told, this is around the time 85-90% of people would test positive. Assuming everything is okay (and I have not had any high risks ever). My last unprotected vaginal was with a girlfriend, and I was tested at 6,8,12 weeks for that, negative about 3 years ago. So if everything is okay, can I move on with this low/NO risk that I'm fine.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 03:43:10 pm by riskyornot »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 03:44:51 pm »
As you have already been advised you were never at risk from the oral sex.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 07:57:21 pm »
risky,

Unless you and your girlfriend have been tested TOGETHER, then you've had a risk by having unprotected intercourse with her.

When are you people going to get it?

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline riskyornot

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 09:46:46 pm »
risky,

Unless you and your girlfriend have been tested TOGETHER, then you've had a risk by having unprotected intercourse with her.

When are you people going to get it?

Ann

Huh? I did NOT have unprotected intercourse, Ann. I had UNPROTECTED oral. I was simply asking, that if I tested at 4 weeks from my unprotected BLOWJOB, if all was well, could I consider myself in the clear?

I had unprotected with an ex-girlfriend years ago, and after my last unprotected exposure with her, I tested at times of 6 weeks, 8 weeks, and three months and I was negative then (I actually tested with her at that time when we were done having sex). I have NOT have unprotected intercourse SINCE. (6/06)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 09:53:48 pm by riskyornot »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 09:57:58 pm »
Now go back and reread the replies that you have been given. No Risk.... End of discussion.

Offline riskyornot

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 10:06:32 pm »
I guess if I put two and two together, my question is answered. Seeing as I haven't had a 'real' risk since my last negative result.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 08:09:18 am »
If you and your new gf are planning to have unprotected intercourse because you are are also committed to a monogamous relationship, the wise thing is to get tested together. Then you can confirm your mutual negatve statuses and know that it's ok to have unprotected sex.

Otherwise keep using condoms.
Andy Velez

Offline riskyornot

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 10:43:11 am »
Guys (and gals), just wanted to clarify, I don't have a girlfriend at the moment and would never engage in unprotected sex unless in a mutual monogomous relationship after we'd tested negative together. I was really just asking if it was okay to move on after receiving unprotected ORAL if I got tested at the 4 week mark, for what is a very very low/NO Risk encounter.

And as like I stated, I have tested negative after my last unprotected intercourse exposure, well over 2 years ago. (June '06 - tested with the person I was having unprotected sex with, after 3 months of NOT having sex)

I also even tested negative over a cunninglus exposure (I know not much of a risk) back in August.

But as I've been told, I don't need to test, so I think I'll put it behind me. And if I did, I'd hope you'd expect it to be negative, seeing as you've never heard of something such from unprotected ORAL, getting a BJ? I think it was more of the abrasion (friction caused from masturbating)which scabbed over sorta or had broken skin the next day and the blood from her vagina on my fingernail, that scared me into thinking there was a significant means for transmission here.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 10:52:32 am by riskyornot »

Offline riskyornot

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 12:26:49 pm »
Ann, it is okay if I put this behind me then? Just wanted to clarify the situation, you scared me when you mistook that I had unprotected intercourse  ??? I was just gonna take a test now at 4 weeks to ease any anxiety. I know a real risk window is beyond 4 weeks, but I figured since the majority of people will show at 4-6 weeks, and this extremely low/NO risk, I can put this behind me. But if you feel I'd be just showing the inevitable, I'll take your word.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 12:30:20 pm by riskyornot »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 12:42:16 pm »
risky,

Yes, please, put this behind you. Your latest incident did not include a risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline riskyornot

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 05:01:19 pm »
Ok so this might be a little far-fetched, but I need an answer. Recently I was at a very upscale dark bar/club. I noticed when I left my finger had a small scrap on it, almost like a paper cut. I do recall feeling something on my hand when I went in my pocket for money, but I'm unsure if that was the hand, and if dollar bills of all things could cause this. (They were new bills, actually..) There's no mark here now on my finger tip whatsoever (2.5 days later), which would indicate a major papercut.

So per say, if I was stuck with a needle on my finger, does this count as a risk? I've heard theres never been a case of this transmission mode outside of the healthcare setting. Wouldnt of all places the needle have to go deep into my finger, hollow and bore (something which I'm sure I'd notice someone doing to me, right?) Not to mention if it was pricked hard, blood would run down my finger, not sort of look like a scrape. Do I really have any cause for concern here?

Sorry for once again raising a probably odd question, any input be helpful.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 05:05:50 pm by riskyornot »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 05:18:13 pm »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 05:39:55 pm »
It isn't farfetched. It's just totally nonsensical.

We aren't here to indulge you in every what if and gee, I wonder if moment about HIV.

If you continue to come back here repeatedly with this kind of fanciful non-risk you are going to get a 28 day time out really quickly.

You've been around here long enough to know that the only real sexual risks for HIV transmission are via unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. These garden variety life events you're playing around about having nothing whatsoever to do with genuine risks for HIV. Get it? 
Andy Velez

Offline riskyornot

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 07:29:27 pm »
Sorry guys, moving on. I'm silly.  :-\

Offline riskyornot

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010, 12:16:04 am »
Sorry about previous post, returning to my original thread.

Hi, I'm sure this has been answered before; but I'm curious on the subject. I recently fingered a female friend of mine, and did not realize I had what appears to be a papercut on my middle finger, I at no time saw blood, however she said it had been a while for her and she might have bled.

So I've read at certain places, HIV can enter through cracks in the skin, so I have a few questions:

1. The layer of the skin from a "papercut" technically isn't penetrating the blood stream, for this to happen, it would have to be an oozing open WOUND and even in that case, technically the air exposure to the finger wouldn't permit transmission.

2. There's never been any documented/confirmed cases of such a route of transmission.

3. The necessary cells aren't in a FINGER; but more so mucous membranes such as the inside of the penis and cervix for example. The skin also provides a protective barrier.

4. The area somewhat stings, so I'm concerned fluid entered the papercut, but it appears theres a scab there. Obviously for it to have a scab, it obviously went through the healing process thus making that point moot, right?

Any cause for concern here? I'm probably reaching. I realize I have been before, and I intend in no way to misuse the excellent service you guys and gals provide here.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 12:32:16 am by riskyornot »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010, 12:39:45 am »
Risky,

Thank you for returning to your original thread.

1. This is correct.

2. This is correct.

3. This is correct.

4. This is also correct.

You are worrying without due cause. You cannot contract HIV from fingering a woman, even if she is menstruating, when you have a paper cut.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 08:39:49 am »
As Matty has indicated this is another non-risk event.

You need to apply what has been said to you previously as you continue on having sexual experiences. It's really quite simple. Just always use a condom for vaginal or anal intercourse and you will be well protected against the sexual transmission of HIV. Period. End of story.

All of the other events which seem to shake you up are totally irrelevant as far as risk for HIV. 
Andy Velez

Offline riskyornot

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2010, 02:20:04 pm »
Thanks for the timely responses. Just one more thing to add that I'm unsure of because I've read conflicting things. I learned from my partner that she could have possibly scratched me during the act, but obviously it wasn't a deep cut or wound, but if I was bleeding during it, does it make it a risk?

I should note. I'm not sexually active otherwise.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2010, 02:29:35 pm »
Risky,

What part of GETTING A BLOWJOB IS NOT A RISK FOR HIV INFECTION don't you understand? It doesn't matter if you had a scratch on your penis or not. You've been told this stuff repeatedly.

I'm giving you that time out you were warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.