Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:03:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773266
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 323
Total: 325

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Do you call the dr to get your latest results?  (Read 8785 times)

Offline momoftwo

Do you call the dr to get your latest results?
« on: May 05, 2007, 12:18:44 am »
I am currently tested once a month because of pregnancy. Last labs were cd4 of 664 and undetectable. I have not called to get my results from 4/02 and I see the dr. on 5/10 again for more labs. I have been curious about my labs but do not want to call the clinic and pester them. My dr has told me that they would call if my labs had gone to the dogs so I almost feel akward calling.

Offline cubbybear

Re: Do you call the dr to get your latest results?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 12:39:19 am »
You have a right to know what your numbers are, and I am sure your Dr would call if they were bad.  Regardless, they are there for you, not the other way around.  If you want to know your numbers, call them.  It won't take them long for them to look them up.

I call/email/see/smoke signal/chant/astral travel to my Dr when I want results.

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 01:48:41 am »

I always call my doc for my lab results.  That's how he does it.  He usually just calls me back and leaves a voicemail as to what's up.  When things weren't so great he'd say to call him back to discuss further.  Now he just says what's up and that he'll see me in 3 months.  If you want to know call him.  It's what he gets paid to do.

Offline Blixer

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 01:56:52 am »
I can email or call for mine.  Usually, they email actually email me as soon as they get the results.  It is so nice!  The first place I used after my diagnosis had a policy that labs had to be picked up in person.  No numbers over the phone.  That was a total pain.

But as has been said, the information is yours.  Call and ask.
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06
8/27/2007 CD4 598, 29%, VL 58 (72 wks)
11/19/2007 CD4 609, 30%, VL < 50 (84 wks)
2/11/2008 CD4 439, 27%, VL <50 (96 wks)
5/5/2008 CD4 535, 28%, VL <50 (108 wks)
10/20/2008 CD4 680, 28%, VL <50 (132 wks)
Changed to Atripla in 2012
1/14/2013 CD4 855, 35%, VL <40

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 03:18:43 am »
Hi there

I always get mine via e-mail, if I haven't heard within 10 days I e-mail him and he sends them right through.

I agree with Cubbybear, you have a right to know what your numbers are, just call...and keep calling until you get them.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 04:20:03 am »
The only time I hear from my doctor is if something is going wrong, other than that, I see her at the next visit and get my results from my previous blood work and that's it.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 04:58:44 am »
Do you call the dr to get your latest results?

Nope. I only have labs done twice a year now and I get my results on the follow-up appointment.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 08:08:33 am »
Since I work at the lab, getting my labs is a cinch.  I do fill out the release of information just so there is a record I am doing things properly, but I easily can get my own labs.  I always get a hard copy for my own reference.  At my old doctor and when I went to a different lab to get them drawn (before insurance refused to pay for it), I always waited 2 weeks to allow for extenuating circumstances why they would be delayed, then I called.  I don't think there is anything to feel awkward about.  It is their job and it doesn't take that long to look up what is in your chart, so it isn't as if they have much trouble.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 08:37:32 am »
Hello,

I go for bloodtests once every three months. Those results are mailed to me about 10 days or so , after the test are taken, and after the doctor has had a chance to look them over. If there is anything, he feels I should be concerned about, he will call me.

My results come delivered to me on a card, and will tell me my Viral load, t-cell count, the percentage, results of liver funtion test , cholesterol and any other test that were taken on that previous blood draw. You have a right to a copy and explanation of your results. We also discuss those results on my next face to face visit with the doctor.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 09:20:17 am »
I go get blood drawn and my doctor usually sees me then. A week later he calls and gives me the results.

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 09:27:46 am »
I am seriously puzzled by some of the lab practices some people do.

I get my bloodwork done a week or two before my scheduled appointment.  I get a copy of my results at the appointment.

I don't really see the point of going to a doctors appointment to just discuss the weather if you don't have current labs.... maybe it's just me, but that seems weird.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 09:34:37 am »
I am currently tested once a month because of pregnancy. Last labs were cd4 of 664 and undetectable. I have not called to get my results from 4/02 and I see the dr. on 5/10 again for more labs. I have been curious about my labs but do not want to call the clinic and pester them. My dr has told me that they would call if my labs had gone to the dogs so I almost feel akward calling.

Okay, but that's probably them telling you to "rest assured, we've got your back" and not the same thing as them saying "don't pester us". Just call. It's not pestering imho. It takes less than a minute for a nurse  to read off a set of numbers.  I call the clinic nurses all the time. They love me

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2007, 09:47:07 am »
I don't really see the point of going to a doctors appointment to just discuss the weather if you don't have current labs.... maybe it's just me, but that seems weird.

I see my doctor when I get my blood drawn and then he calls me because otherwise I would have to go to his office twice. If there was a significant change in HIV lab results it wouldn't matter because I would never change meds over one bad lab result. If it was a problem with other labs, which has never happened, he would probably call in a prescription or have me come in for additional tests.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 09:50:12 am »
I see my doctor when I get my blood drawn and then he calls me because otherwise I would have to go to his office twice. If there was a significant change in HIV lab results it wouldn't matter because I would never change meds over one bad lab result. If it was a problem with other labs, which has never happened, he would probably call in a prescription or have me come in for additional tests.

Thats my thoughts too. Why make two trips to the office. If something doesn't look right with the test, the doctor will call me by phone to come back to the office, otherwise I just wait for the results.
Saves a trip.
Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2007, 09:55:20 am »

Another thing to consider. For those working daytime jobs, that's twice in two weeks,( or less), that one would have to take time away from work.
This is why I am glad I work the grave shift !

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2007, 11:21:09 am »
I like the way my current doctor does it.  About 10 days before my visit I go into the office and have my blood work done by a nurse and then when I have my doctor's visit the results are completely fresh and up to date.  Sure, it means an additional trip to their offices but I'm only 2 subway stops away so it's not a big deal to do it like this.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2007, 11:34:33 am »
I always get my results mailed to me.  That way I know before the doctor's appointment.  But these people are right; THEY'RE there for YOU. 
     I will have to check out the e-mail option also.  Thanks for the heads-up.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Iggy

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2007, 12:11:03 pm »
No. I don't call or get any results outside of a doctor's visit.  I honestly don't feel the need to get them in advance as I'm not in the middle of any type of treatment change and I'm generally in good health.

In your situation though with the pregnancy I completely understand and would suggest getting the information as soon as it is available - it just seems prudent in this case.

Offline Nadine

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2007, 12:27:12 pm »
I get my bloodwork done a week or two before my scheduled appointment.  I get a copy of my results at the appointment.

This is also how we do it...hubby goes to a local lab to have his blood drawn about 10 days before his appointment, then the results are there at the hospital when we go to see his doctor.  Works out real well.

Offline mudman8

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2007, 02:05:19 pm »
I'm with the others blood test before I see the Dr. but in your case being pregnant and worried is cause for the phone call.
Life is analog

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2007, 02:27:14 pm »
I'll also state for the record, and will be interested in what other "LTS"-ers have experienced, that I have not always amassed a collection of my lab work.  When I was newly diagnosed in '93 I kept them for maybe the first two years at most, and I still have them in a manila envelope somewhere around here -- and I'm glad I have them as it was so long ago as well as 4 doctors ago that if I needed to prove I had <200 cd4 AIDS diagnosis I would have other way to do so, and in fact needed to do just this when I was waiting for SSD approval and had to go on some weird NYC "HASA" program to assist me during that interim.  If you can prove easily that you had <200 the bureaucracy moves really quick.

I think the first few years one tends to be very proactive with this sort of stuff, but the longer you go on with it the more routine it gets.  Plus I was having blood work done monthly or at least every other month so it was getting a bit tedious charting everything.  At some point I decided the OCD aspects of this were counter-productive and stopped, knowing full well if I needed the documentation I could obtain it en masse at any time.

If fact, it was not until the past year that I requested my lab work on paper again.  Mostly just to track my numbers when I went on a drug trial of Prezista (before FDA approval).  I think now that my numbers are very stable I'll halt the practice again.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2007, 02:37:58 pm »
I'll also state for the record, and will be interested in what other "LTS"-ers have experienced, that I have not always amassed a collection of my lab work. 

Well, I am a LTS, but only on meds for 3 1/2 years. I save everything( especially medical) !! It is all  filed away. Still have all my prescription reciepts,( from Walgreens) since starting on meds. Got them neatly organized by date any year. I am just funny about stuff like that. I still have my original HIV diagnosis, from 1985. It's getting a little faded and old, like me !

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2007, 02:43:58 pm »
You'll find the paper work becomes quite large rather quickly.  I can't imagine saving prescription receipts -- what in the world is the purpose of that?  I guess if you were paying out of pocket and needed to write off medical expenses or something.

Anyway, since my diagnosis I've moved a total of five times and I've just learned to do without the madness.  In my last apartment in Brooklyn I had the entire building's basement to myself so storage was no issue, but in my current small one bedroom 4th floor abode I still have paperwork stored in boxes.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2007, 02:55:25 pm »
You'll find the paper work becomes quite large rather quickly.  I can't imagine saving prescription receipts -- what in the world is the purpose of that? 

I just don't like throwing anything away ! It's just the way I am..

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline RobT

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2007, 04:46:22 pm »
I now call the lab for my results instead of my doctor. They tell me what my results came out. I only see my doctor for appts now.

Rob
Current meds: Atripla
VL: undetectable
CD4: 630

Offline momoftwo

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2007, 05:38:37 pm »
I like the idea of going 10 days before the appointment! When I was at the OBGYN yesterday they pointed out that my labs from 4/2 would not be a good number to base on if I went into labor this week. Well I am sure that I am still undetectable, it would be nice to know where exactly I am at. My clinics have a website and all my other drs. post my labs but the HIV is never current!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2007, 06:20:01 pm »
Bailey, I use to do it that way until the price of gas went up. So instead of driving 268 miles every three months, I drive 134. It saves me alot of money by doing it that way. If there is a problem with my numbers, they'll call me.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2007, 12:37:13 am »
Hi Mom,

I am so glad you are here, I haven't been able to say that in almost 20 years.  I can never reach my doctor by phone.  He is considered to be one of the best HIV specialists in California.  He practices medicine in 3-4 locations in at least two counties.  I can and do call the Staff Nurse at the clinic, I also have his personal email and we live in the same neighborhood.  It never takes him more than two minutes to answer any question as he has been working directly with my HIV doc since the beginning of the pandemic.

I think you should always call your doc with any question you may have at any time.  If the doc is not available, he or she does have support staff who has access to your files.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2007, 04:26:28 am »
Nope, he mails them to me.  If I do not hear from him, I assume the news is good and in a few weeks the results come in the mail.  I wish I could log in and get them online or have him email me .... but they do not do that .... so I am patient, well, at least I try to be.

SD - (who got puked on yesterday on a flight)
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2007, 07:35:08 am »
I am with those who go before the appointment and get my lab work done two weeks prior to the visit.  For those times when I was going to visit the doctor once a month, this meant I was in the lab once a month also.  This requires a 120 mile round trip each time, but any way you look at it, having fresh lab numbers for the visit, is priceless, and doesn't leave you guessing about anything when you do see your doctor.  I always have the latest numbers at the same time my doctor does.  They are on the computer at the VA hospital, so I also don't keep records.  Like Ray, I used to keep everything, but when that required a complete file drawer, I purged and reasoned that the records were safe with the VA and threw most everything away.

For the first time in my HIV life, I am now on my first six month appointment cycle, so I am really happy about that, and am now developing new habits about record keeping and communication with my nurse/doctor, but my next appointment is in September for labs, and my doctor's appointment is two weeks after that.

Love,
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2007, 09:37:25 am »
Kaiser does not release HIV records online, but everything else is online one or two days after I get the blood drawn, I get an email notification. I wish the doc could release the HIV records so I can access them after I see him, but he can't, he showed me his computer screen saying "not avail for kp.org". He believes that there will be some sort of release form in the future.

I try to get my labs done as close as possible to the visit, so like Moffie says the numbers are "fresh". I give them 10-15 days even though it looks like the results come faster, but I don't want to risk going to the doctor to just talk about the weather!

It's tempting to call, but the nurse will not disclose on the phone prior to the visit. 10-15 days is fine, I think Ann said she has to wait 8 weeks  :o

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2007, 11:21:01 am »
For the first time in my HIV life, I am now on my first six month appointment cycle, so I am really happy about that, and am now developing new habits about record keeping and communication with my nurse/doctor, but my next appointment is in September for labs, and my doctor's appointment is two weeks after that.

Congrats!  I'm on my very first 3-month cycle currently.  In fact I'd always gone EVERY month up until about 6 months ago, for the past 14 years.

Frankly I'm not sure if I'd feel good only going every 6-months this far into my infection, and I know you have a good 5 years up on me.  I'm not sure why I'm writing this but I'm just wondering if you really feel safe doing this?... asking more for my own sanity as I guess if things continue they may suggest my doing this, and I'm not sure if I will be willing to agree.  I'm assuming it was your doctor's idea and not yours?  How long were your lab numbers in the range they are now before this decision was made?

thanks

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2007, 12:39:46 pm »
Frankly I'm not sure if I'd feel good only going every 6-months this far into my infection, and I know you have a good 5 years up on me.  I'm not sure why I'm writing this but I'm just wondering if you really feel safe doing this?... asking more for my own sanity as I guess if things continue they may suggest my doing this, and I'm not sure if I will be willing to agree.  I'm assuming it was your doctor's idea and not yours?  How long were your lab numbers in the range they are now before this decision was made?

thanks

Sorry for the enlargement of the font, but I need to see it.

Personally Philly, I was a bit surprised that he suggested this, but viewing my history, he felt comfortable in doing so.  Also, they are just a phone call away if I feel there is a need for an earlier visit.

My numbers in August of '99, when we started to go to this doctor were CD4 of 175, and vl of about 100,000.  This after two PCP, Kaposis, CMV, MAC, and a few others, and five years of various HIV meds.  I have struggled and finally gotten the CD4 to level out at above 600 for the last 11 months, and the vl was nondetectible for three years.  Now, I am carrying a vl of about 2300, but have also been walking around with a UTI for the last six months, so I expect the vl to once again go nondetect.

Mainly it is the above 600 number on the CD4 that gives me comfort in pushing the appointments out a few months.  In the past, I have bounced around between 1, 2 and 3 month periods, depending on my health and my lab progress.  In the future, I might call them just for a visit if I feel my body changing, but for the most part, I celebrated the six month visits as a turning point in progress.  One of the very many I have celebrated.

Love,
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline momoftwo

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2007, 01:07:43 pm »
So an infection of another sort can raise your viral load? Even on meds?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.