Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:29:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773215
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 495
Total: 497

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Risks of getting pregnant and contracting HIV  (Read 4719 times)

Offline rolf2009

Risks of getting pregnant and contracting HIV
« on: July 09, 2012, 02:03:12 am »
I am hoping I am in the right forum, but I assume here is the most knowledge regarding my issue.
I am a male and living since approx. 15 years with HIV, and 6 of them I am taking meds. My CD4 is around 800-900 and VL is undetectable (under 4 copies/ml). I am happily married since 10 years and my wife is until now negative. Which for itself is a wonder, as we had unprotected sex over many years until I found out I am positive. Anyway, we both would love to have a child/children. So we went to a hospital and got all the information regarding sperm washing, IVF, etc.
Fact is, my wifes tubes are closed and the doc said, they could try to open them with an operation, but the chances, that she can get pregnant afterwards are very slim. This brought us to the solution of IVF (In vitrio fertilization - hope it is written right) and we tried this 2 times in the only special hospital available in this country offering this including sperm washing. It didn't work, the embryo couldn't hold. Besides costing us a lot of money, it was quite a traumatizing event for my wife, as there was life planted inside her after years of hoping, and it still didn't work.
Now we are discussing since a while the possibility to visit other hospitals for IVF. However, these don't offer sperm washing. So my question is, how big is the risk of an infection for her and the unborn child, when doing IVF without sperm washing?
I know, there might be an outcry going on when reading this, but my wife know all the risks regarding infection and the possibility to become positive.
Anyway, we are just asking in the moment and want to know, if there are women out there who had same or similar experiences.
Thank you very much for your support and help.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Risks of getting pregnant and contracting HIV
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 09:00:24 am »
Rolf, I've moved your thread into the Living forum. The Women's forum is for women ONLY.

Many poz/neg couples are having children the "old fashioned way" these days, provided the poz partner has had an undetectable viral load for at least six months, and there are no other STIs present in either person.

Sperm-washing for hiv positive men is pretty much a thing of the past now days.

When doing IVF, I don't see why you would need sperm-washing anyway. The baby cannot be infected by hiv in the semen. A baby will only become infected if the MOTHER is hiv positive and transmits her virus to the baby during the pregnancy or during the birth (or breast feeding afterwards).

It is unclear whether or not your wife has had her tubes operated on and opened. It's also unclear whether or not her tubes were "blocked" as the result of a medical contraceptive procedure or if they are blocked due to scar tissue.

If they are blocked due to scar tissue, it is unlikely she'd be able to conceive even if operated on. If they are blocked due to having them "tied" or clipped for contraceptive purposes, the success rate of conception after a reversal is higher, but it depends on how long ago the procedure was done in the first place. The longer ago it was, the more likely there will be too much scar tissue present.

If she hasn't had the operation done and you will still be relying on IVF, again, you shouldn't need sperm-washing done anyway. The embryo is created outside the body and then implanted in the woman. The embryo will not be hiv positive.

Here are some articles you may find helpful:

Timed Intercourse Plus PrEP for Low-Risk Natural Conception

Sperm of the Moment

Swiss experts say individuals with undetectable viral load and no STI cannot transmit HIV during sex

Swiss Statement

HIV, Pregnancy and Women’s health - an i-Base Guide

The Swiss Statement link is part of the i-Base guide. The guide is VERY detailed and informative and you should find a lot of good information there.

Hope this helps.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Rockin

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 11:08:54 am »
Sperm-washing for hiv positive men is pretty much a thing of the past now days.

Hey Ann, could you elaborate on this or send me a link or something? My doctor mentioned the spem washing thing if I'd like to conceive.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 12:44:14 pm »
Hey Ann, could you elaborate on this or send me a link or something? My doctor mentioned the spem washing thing if I'd like to conceive.

Try reading the links I gave Rolf.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Rockin

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 02:07:13 pm »
Try reading the links I gave Rolf.

Thanks, I did. But what if the woman is still scared of the risk of infection, regardless of the statistics? Is sperm washing still a viable choice?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 02:54:36 pm »
Thanks, I did. But what if the woman is still scared of the risk of infection, regardless of the statistics? Is sperm washing still a viable choice?

Yes, it's still a viable choice - if you can afford it. It's prohibitively expensive for many people.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline rolf2009

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 02:26:56 am »
Dear all, thanks a lot for the replies. the links provided have all a positive attitude and aree giving us hope again. Wish us all luck, and vise versa we wish everybody good health and a good life.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.