Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:16:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 272
Total: 273

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: point for discussion and/or Clarifying  (Read 8886 times)

Offline Loscopo

point for discussion and/or Clarifying
« on: June 10, 2006, 08:21:00 am »
Dear All,
This is Lo Scopo, I am sorry I do not know how to remind you with my thread. I cant log on the old forum for one reason or another.

Actually, This time I have a question for the ones who are replying desperate ppl like me. I read about the member moltenstorm that he got infected in July/August, and he tested positive HIV in April (more than 6 months). In other words, this is a part of his signature:
July/Aug 2005 - Infected
April 11, 2006 - Tested Positive
April 17, 2006 - WestBlot Confirmation: HIV+
My point of discussion is that How come to get a positive test after 8-9 months , not before as most members here tell that a 13 week test is reliable in most cases. Please do not misunderstand me, I just need someone to clarify ....I believe i misunderstood something.

best regards,

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: point for discussion and/or Clarifying
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 08:33:13 am »
I think moltenstorm, should he choose to read this side of the forum, can answer that. Many members do not put their entire testing history on their bios. Moreover, not everyone gets tested every three months. It's entirely possible that moltenstorm was exposed in the months specified, but waited six months before confirmation.

I do not, however, endorse trolling profiles of HIV positive folks here looking for discrepencies, and absolutely do not suggest unsolicited PMs. The LIVING WITH sections of aidsmeds/poz are a support forum, and not a place to arbitrarily pick apart soemone's stated history.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 08:43:29 am »
Los, if you have some particular concern of your own to bring up in relation to a possible exposure, then do so.

Getting into this speculative situation is not a legitimate endeavor here, so drop it now.

As a courtesy I am for the moment not locking this thread or banning you, but you're on shaky ground. Stop with this particular matter right now.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 08:51:21 am »
Loscopo,

In my own situation, I know, through hindsight, that I was infected in late April or May of 1997. However, I never had a test until February 2001 when I tested positive. This does not mean I had a longer window period, it only means I didn't test during my window period. Had I tested anytime from mid June 1997 onwards (which would have put me at approximately six weeks post infection), I am totally confident I would have received a positive result at that time.

Everyone had to re-register on this new forum software when we made the move. The old forums are available for reading only. Click here for your thread in the old forum.

As you were told in your previous thread, you were never at risk of hiv infection through mutual masturbation.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Loscopo

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 09:00:42 am »
Dear All,
 Many thanks for your posts.

I believe you misunderstood me and my point of view.

I DO NOT doubt the replies gives by experts like Ann, andy and others to ppl. It just caught my attention that the guy Molten Storm has written so in his signature. I for got about the testing history and I forgot also about the risk he had....coz I didnt read about them at all.
My question in other words regardless what molten storm had written Is a 6 months test enough or it should be a 9 months test so that it would be enough period to test positive HIV, if there has been any.

Again I swear I never meant to attack, doubt, or unbelieve any one, I just need clear reply. Thats all....I am so sorry if I offended any one by my question.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 09:09:37 am »
a thirteen week, or three month test, is considered absolutely valid.

And y ou do not get HIv through mutual masturbation and kissing. Therefore your testing over this incident was roughly as valid as me taking a pregnancy test. I urge you to read the LESSONS section of this site and familiarize yourself with the ACTUAL vectors for HIv infection - namely, unprotected vaginal and anal sex.

No risk. None.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline Loscopo

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 09:17:20 am »
Hello again,

Thx ann for the reply.

In fact I am sure that I was not at risk of HIV infection as you and most members told me.
I ll just go crazy because of the symptoms which refuse to go away:
severe headache
underarm pains (that lasted for some days and went away)
under tongue painful ulcers and lower part mouth painful ulcers as well.
all day and night sweat.
body fatigue and inability to do anything
extremely sore throat.
unclear nose ( i cant breathe normally from the nose at night)
muscle pains that come and go

About the STD, the doctors suspected Syphilis and I had a R.P.R test and VDRL which are both non reactive (one at 3months and another at 4 months)
Most of these symptoms lasts now for 3 months nearly. I will go crazy really, I have never had such symptoms all my life. Any suggestions what could this be? I know that we can never self diagnose or have get ourselves diagnosed through the web. I just need to know what is this?
thx all

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 09:19:28 am »
I wish I could help you, but as you pointed out, its impossible to diagnose ANYTHING over the web. One thing is for sure - you have ruled out syphilis and HIV. I would work with your doctor to asertain the cause of these symptoms.

One small caveat: Almost all of these symptoms can be associated with stress. And you, sir, seem to be under a lot of stress over this incident.

Welcome Thread

Offline Loscopo

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 09:24:55 am »
dear jkinatl2,
many thx for the reply.

Are they really associated with stress? can the body do this to itself? I am totally stressed over this incident moreover my feeling of Guilt is about to tear me into pieces actually. you are right, I am absolutely stressed but Its all out of my hands sir
thx again for help,
Lo Scopo

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 09:31:35 am »
Loc, first of all thanks for your clarification about my original concern. I appreciate that.

Secondly, although it's understandable that you are concerned about your symptoms, they have nothing to do with HIV. And not incidentally, for future reference neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything accurately about your HIV. When there has been a risky incident only getting tested at the appropriate time can give you that answer.

Even though it's unusual for you personally to have your various symptoms, that doesn't automatically by default make this an HIV situation. Talk with your doctor and even get a second opinion if necessary to find out what is going on. As Jonathan has commented, stress may very well be playing a part in all of this since it is something which can knock down your immune system. You might consider talking with a therapist or other such professional to address the emotional aspects of whatever is going on.

This is not an HIV situation. Good luck with getting it sorted it out.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 09:49:10 am »
Loscopo,

Stress can cause all sorts of physical symptoms - but the ONLY way of knowing what's what is by going to your doctor and having a thorough check-up.

Whatever is going on, mutual masturbation and/or kissing absolutely do NOT transmit hiv. You did not put yourself at risk of hiv infection by participating in those activities, no matter how much guilt you feel. If you continue having trouble putting that incident behind you, please seek the assistance of a mental health care practitioner. We cannot help you with your guilt issues here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Loscopo

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 06:50:14 am »
Dear all,
Hi again, sorry for bothering, and i hope i clarified my point of view to you all.

I read some ppl here talk about ARS, what is it? is it curable? do my symptoms sound like it? - provided that its been now 3 months having them.- and my wife started to suffer same symptoms as well.

Ann told me that I might have got Chlamydia or gonorrhea of what happened. Are these symptoms sound like?....any help????

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 08:13:10 am »
Loscopo,

ARS refers to Acute Retroviral Syndrome. It means the illness that you may or may not experience during hiv seroconversion. It is also called hiv seroconversion illness.

However, you couldn't possibly experience ARS because you never had a risk of hiv infection.

There's no point in discussing your symptoms or their possible causes here because you cannot be diagnosed over the internet. You simply MUST go to a doctor and have a complete examination.

As you have been told, you have ruled out syphilis infection and you were never at risk of hiv infection. Whether you test for other sexually transmitted infections is entirely up to you.

There is nothing more we can do for you here. Work with your doctor to get to the bottom of your physical problems. We cannot do that for you here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.