Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:32:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 365
Total: 366

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: question about fingering with posible "open" cut.  (Read 5110 times)

Offline ididnttellyou

• Standard
question about fingering with posible "open" cut.
« on: August 06, 2013, 10:09:16 pm »
Long story short I received unprotected oral from a girl I don't know. Wile she was giving me oral I fingered her. If I had a open cut on my finger would I be at risk? (I really don't think I did but just curious) it wouldn't have been fresh if I did.

Thank you for your time. Your forum is top notch and your input and explinations are great.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: question about fingering with posible "open" cut.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 10:25:12 pm »
Hi Tellyou . You didn't have a risk . The risk for HIV are as follows .

Sharing IV drug needles immediately after use.
Unprotected anal and vaginal sex.
Mother to child during or shortly after birth
Very specific healthcare situations.

Fingering has never led to a HIV infection and the only few cases of oral sex ever reported were from preforming oral sex on a HIV positive male ... that means giving a bj not getting one . The scant few cases of oral HIV transmission were when a person getting a bj had an extremely high viral load and the giver suffering meth mouth or horrendous oral health . Some of the claims had other risk factors as well , clearly this situation does not apply to you .

There have been no fewer than three separate serodiscordant couples studies (where one person is HIV positive, the other negative.) These couples were tracked for three. five and ten years. The couples used condoms for penetrative vaginal and anal sex, but NO BARRIER at all for oral sex. Any kind of oral sex.

These studies yielded NO infections.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED HIV TESTING AT THIS TIME FOR THIS INCIDENT , anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:27:39 pm by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline ididnttellyou

• Standard
question for my own protection in the future.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 06:41:09 pm »
Well I gotta say.. this site has been a real eye opener and full of information. One question I have for you guys tho for my own protection is this. If I'm having vaginal or anal sex (using a condom of course) if the condom doesn't cover the whole shaft and say there is a cut (not fresh or new as of that day) if that comes in contact with vaginal fluid would that be considered a risk? Or is the big risk just the opening on the penis?

And I've read a lot about other stds making the transmision easier. What stds are those and why? I had read a post by someone els about syphilis chancers on the tonsils being one. Just curious for my own protection.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 07:35:45 pm »
Hi tellyou . Please only post in this thread . if you have trouble finding your thread select show own post in your profile and it will take you here .

The glans or tip of your penis is the important part to keep wrapped up . If you use condoms correctly and consistently you will not be exposed . There are no caveats to this , if you use them for vaginal and anal sex correctly and the end of your penis is covered you are in good shape .

If HIV were as easy to get as simply being exposed to vagina secretions we would be doomed , thankfully we are not .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 07:43:06 pm »
Well I gotta say.. this site has been a real eye opener and full of information. One question I have for you guys tho for my own protection is this. If I'm having vaginal or anal sex (using a condom of course) if the condom doesn't cover the whole shaft and say there is a cut (not fresh or new as of that day) if that comes in contact with vaginal fluid would that be considered a risk? Or is the big risk just the opening on the penis?

And I've read a lot about other stds making the transmision easier. What stds are those and why? I had read a post by someone els about syphilis chancers on the tonsils being one. Just curious for my own protection.

Your only risk is the glans, or head of your penis. Minor cuts and scrapes are irrelevant.

The only possible caveat to ANYONE would be an open syphilis chancre or active herpes lesion - and these caveats apply far more to females and males engaging in receptive anal sex (where the chancre/lesion is on/in the anus).

The reason being that most of your penis is not even exposed to potentially dangerous fluids (all vaginal fluids are not created equal. It's the thick cervical mucosa deep within the vagina that carries infectious fluids), so the condom covering the glans (head) of your penis is sufficient.

Remember, it's not enough to simply be exposed to the viral particles. The particles have to locate and infiltrate the (thankfully few) cells that they can lock onto and inject with their material. Those white blood cells and certain dendritic cells are, in a male engaging in heterosexual sex, found on the glans and in the urethra.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 07:46:09 pm »
Thanks JK ... I should have been more careful in my answer .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline ididnttellyou

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 08:35:25 pm »

Your only risk is the glans, or head of your penis. Minor cuts and scrapes are irrelevant.

The only possible caveat to ANYONE would be an open syphilis chancre or active herpes lesion - and these caveats apply far more to females and males engaging in receptive anal sex (where the chancre/lesion is on/in the anus).

The reason being that most of your penis is not even exposed to potentially dangerous fluids (all vaginal fluids are not created equal. It's the thick cervical mucosa deep within the vagina that carries infectious fluids), so the condom covering the glans (head) of your penis is sufficient.

Remember, it's not enough to simply be exposed to the viral particles. The particles have to locate and infiltrate the (thankfully few) cells that they can lock onto and inject with their material. Those white blood cells and certain dendritic cells are, in a male engaging in heterosexual sex, found on the glans and in the urethra.

Now I'm curious about the syphilis chancer and herpes in a oral situation. Its my understanding that a open chancer can be a risk in a oral situation when the person giving the oral (female or male giving a blow job with a open chancer) and there is ejaculation. Its my understanding that its the saliva that protects us there but why not on this situation?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 10:11:49 pm »
Now I'm curious about the syphilis chancer and herpes in a oral situation. Its my understanding that a open chancer can be a risk in a oral situation when the person giving the oral (female or male giving a blow job with a open chancer) and there is ejaculation. Its my understanding that its the saliva that protects us there but why not on this situation?

You have answered your own question. Saliva contains over a dozen elements that inhibit HIV and render it incapable of infecting. The anus, penis, and vagina offer no similar protection.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 06:16:53 am »

A chancre or herpes blister (I'll refer to both as a lesion) increases the hiv risk because at the site of such an infection, there will be an increase in the type of white blood cells (part of the immune system) that hiv can infect.

If you are the person with a lesion and hiv positive, there will be more hiv present in that area due to infected white blood cells.

If you are the person with the lesion and hiv negative, you will have more white blood cells present in that area that hiv can infect.

If an hiv positive person has a lesion in their oral cavity when they're blowing you and the head of your penis came into contact with it, you're mainly at risk for syphilis/herpes. You would only be at risk for hiv if their viral load was very, very, VERY high, such as in the first few months of a new (and untreated) infection.

I very much doubt hiv transmission in this situation ever happens - it's strictly theoretical. Getting a blowjob is simply not a risk for hiv infection in the real world, although it IS a risk for herpes, syphilis, and gonorrhea, and to a lesser extent, chlamydia.

If you are the one with a lesion on your penis and an hiv positive person blows you, you are absolutely NOT at risk for hiv infection because saliva is NOT infectious, regardless of their viral load. The only risk in this situation is to the person blowing you, who would be at risk for syphilis/herpes.

In the case of syphilis and herpes, whether or not you cum while getting a blowjob doesn't come into it hiv-wise, pardon the pun.

Conversely, if you're the one doing the blowing and you come into contact with a lesion, you're very much at risk of getting syphilis/herpes, but your risk for hiv is only increased if their viral load is VERY high.

If you're the one doing the blowing and you have a lesion in your mouth, once again you're only at an increased risk if the person you're blowing has a VERY high viral load. However, you are putting the person you're blowing at risk for syphilis/herpes.

Hope that helps explain things.

Ann

edited for clarity
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 06:21:11 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.