Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:58:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773281
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 333
Total: 334

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Pennsylvania Incorporates HIV Testing into Routine Medical Care  (Read 4624 times)

Offline emeraldize

(this will go into effect in 60 days)

Bill to Incorporate HIV Testing into Routine Medical Care Awaiting Gov. Corbett's Signature

A bill that would incorporate HIV testing into routine medical care passed the House on June 29, 2011, by a vote of 177-24. Senate Bill 260, which was unanimously passed by the Senate in April and received a concurrence vote on a House-added amendment in the Senate on June 30, 2011, is currently awaiting the governor's signature.

SB 260, introduced by Sen. Ted Erickson (R-Delaware), would update state law so it is consistent with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommendations that everyone should be tested for HIV as part of routine care. Although the CDC updated its guidelines in 2006, Pennsylvania law still requires a separate signed consent for HIV testing in conjunction with pre- and post-test counseling.

The CDC recommends that everyone between 13 and 64 years old be tested. Consent for testing should be given with consent for routine medical care, allowing patients the chance to opt out.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Pennsylvania Incorporates HIV Testing into Routine Medical Care
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 12:04:31 pm »
Way to go PA!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline PozJeepGuy

• Facebook - Jacob Perry
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 12:07:04 pm »
Needs to be done
Jake

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 12:50:35 pm »
Step in the right direction!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 07:43:46 pm »
Consent for testing should be given with consent for routine medical care, allowing patients the chance to opt out.
that's the way it should be. ;)
any other procedure makes HIV "special" which only results in stigma
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 10:20:30 am »
Not wanting to pee on anyone's post toasties here---but-- when they first went this route in Michigan, health care systems took the term 'opt out' as meaning 'no consent needed'.  People were--and still sometimes are--tested for HIV without their knowledge or consent.  Perhaps not a bad thing, except when those who test negative are not told they were tested or what their result was--and those who test positive..., well just imagine that first conversation.

I agree with Leatherman--as I do in most instances.  We need to be able to provide tests in a manner which eliminates stigma.  At the same time, what good is a test if people don't know they're getting it?

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 10:41:06 am »
I agree this should be done but I hope there are enough funds to cover those who will need to be placed in treatment and can't afford it/don't have insurance.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 11:18:26 am »
I agree this should be done but I hope there are enough funds to cover those who will need to be placed in treatment and can't afford it/don't have insurance.

I REALLY do not get this argument at all. If people need treatment, they need treatment whether they know it or not. Far better to find out before that person collapses and ends up in hospital with a serious case of PCP or worse. Finding out too late leads to higher costs and all too often, premature death.

The more people who test positive, the more pressure there will be for additional funding and/or changes in the health care system and maybe, just maybe, politicians will finally wake up and smell the Atripla.

Not wanting to pee on anyone's post toasties here---but-- when they first went this route in Michigan, health care systems took the term 'opt out' as meaning 'no consent needed'.

Hopefully lessons will be learned from mistakes made in Michigan and it will be spelled out in no uncertain terms that "opt out" does not mean "no consent needed". There should be penalties in place for health care workers who ignore the meaning of opt-out.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 01:54:45 pm »
personally, I just don't understand any reasoning, whether you can get access or not, that says it would be better to not know you have a terminal disease and that you are infectious and could be spreading that terminal disease. At least being informed you could try to get or fight for treatment and you could knowingly not continue spreading HIV.

except when those who test negative are not told they were tested
....what good is a test if people don't know they're getting it?
when my blood is tested, I don't know half of what they are testing for. LOL But, trust me, when something is fluey they tell me. LOL

How is having a test, any test really, especially in a battery of tests, and getting a negative result a bad thing? When someone presents in a hospital with symptoms of unknown origin and testing is done, the doctors often don't give a complete list of everything they tested you for that you don't have - they could be there all day telling you what you didn't have. LOL They just say your blood work didn't turn up anything, they need to run more tests, and maybe some scans. ::) That's why it's called "practicing" medicine. LOL

The more people who test positive, the more pressure there will be for additional funding and/or changes in the health care system and maybe, just maybe, politicians will finally wake up and smell the Atripla.
exactly! as it is now we can only point to those people actually on the waiting lists as to the number of how many need treatment and how much funding is necessary. Our guesstimate of how many people are unwitttingly going about their daily lives, spreading HIV and slowly trudging towards a health crisis (or worse - their death!) as their viral load increases is just that - a guess. More information about exactly how bad the epidemic is still spreading could provide for larger funds, more medications, and more treatment.

I agree it's a shame right now that some people will be tested, be positive and not have access to treatment. However, unlike the deafening silence of the unknown amounts of infected people today not being treated, if thousands of Americans found out they were positive, dying of HIV without access to meds, got riled up about their need, marched on the captial and demanded treatment, that could have a pretty big impact on getting access to meds.

as my ASO prevention staff is fond of saying, "Knowing your status, positive or negative, you can protect your status"
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 02:31:14 pm »
To Ann and Leatherman: I said I was all for it@! There was no "argument' against it.

I'm only stating that I hope they have funding to get people the care they need. The sad fact is that I suspect they don't have that funding in place. That's not to say the testing should not happen but it's something to consider as part of the whole equation.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 03:02:41 pm »
If it makes everyone feel better the commonwealth of Pennsylvania just learned it has a $785 million surplus.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.