Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:05:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 507
Total: 508

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: QUESTION  (Read 7826 times)

Offline highstress

QUESTION
« on: August 03, 2006, 05:52:07 pm »
About 3 weeks ago i had unprotected vaginal sex(one night stand) right after that i felt guilt high anxeity,all this 3 weeks i am sleeples and very depressed i am emotional wreck i am craying all day and pretend everything is okay when i am with mi girlfriend ,but at night i am so depressed and scared and about 3 nights ago i developed nightsweats but there is no fever (always chekin) can u guys please tell me is that ars syptom or not. :'(

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
Re: Please help me---so scared
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 06:47:44 pm »
Highstress,

Hiv is a very fragile virus that does not easily infect, especially from a woman to a man.  It would be unusual for you to become infected in this one time incident (and that's assuming that your partner was hiv positive).

But even though your risk is low, it is NOT no-risk.  To conclusively determine your hiv status, you will need to test 13 weeks after your most recent possible exposure.

Symptoms are no way to diagnose hiv.  You can have no symptoms and be hiv positive.  And you can have all of the symptoms usually associated with primary hiv infection and be hiv negative. 

That said, none of your "symptoms" is indicative of primary hiv infection.  And symptoms, if they occur at all, do so 2-4 weeks post exposure.  They come all at once, and go all at once a week or so later.

Unless you are in a monogamous relationship where you have both tested negative for all STD's, you must use condoms for penetrative vaginal or anal sex.  Not to do so is to consent to the possibility of contracting an STD..... including hiv.

Morgan
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 06:49:16 pm by Morgan »
Morgan Landers

Offline highstress

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 02:41:35 pm »
Can u guys tell me after initial 2-6 weeks of posible ars, after the 6 weeks do u still have syptoms or the syptoms come for a couple of years.

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 03:17:07 pm »
Highstress,

Did you read my last post, or am I wasting my time?

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 04:10:35 pm »
In addition to re-reading what Morgan has already told you, read the lesson about transmission which you can find a link to in the first thread in this section.

HIV is not an easy virus to transmit, especially from female to male. Given that you had a single incident of possible exposure the odds against transmission are very much in your favor that you will test negative. Nothing you are describing in the way of symptoms is suggestive of HIV, but then symptoms are never the way to know anything reliably about HIV.

You did have some risk, albeit a low one. Get tested at 13 weeks and collect what I expect will be a negative result. You need to learn from this experience and anytime you have intercourse outside of a securely monogamous relationship you need to be wearing a latex condom. No excpetions.

In the meantime the waiting period until you can test for a reliable result will pass much easier and faster if you stop feeling sorry for yourself and churning up all this unwarranted drama over this experience. No kidding. Stay productively busy while you're waiting to get tested and I expect things will come out allright.
Andy Velez

Offline highstress

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 04:59:19 pm »
Thank u guys Morgan and Andy for answer, but this bothers me because i never had this syptom before this ,but could they nights sweats come without fever...

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 05:25:00 pm »
Highstress,

Night sweats without a fever do NOT indicate infection with hiv.... or anything else for that matter.

Real night sweats result from the breaking of a usually high fever during the night.

According to the Stanford Medical Center some other causes can be:

Any illness where you suffer from a fever. 
diabetes
Hyperthyroidism
Secretion from certain cells in the brain
Anemia
Hypothalamic lesions
Epilepsy
Strokes
Cerebral palsy
Migraine
Spinal cord infarction
Head injury
Familial dysautomia
Anti-nausea medication used in pregnancy
Obstructive sleep apnea

They could even be associated with your anxiety about hiv infection.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline highstress

Please help
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 06:01:32 pm »
So to begin long story short ,i had unprotected vaginal sex 2 months ago with a girl i didnt know,right now i am waiting for my 3 months to get tested ,but i have qouple of questions ,i went last week to my family phsician i had some reaaly tiny red dots on my body so i went to check it so he take some blood and was everything okey my wbc were 6.5 my rbc were 4.93 and plt were 263. so after this results and everything can u guys give me some comfort does it look good ,would i have lover number if i were infected...

Offline RapidRod

Re: Please help
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 06:07:42 pm »
You have one month to go and get your conclusive test. Symptoms mean nothing when diagnosing HIV. You can not tell via a CBC if you have been infected with HIV. Only the proper HIV test will give you your status.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 06:12:47 pm »
Stress,

I agree with everything Rod has told you. In addition I encourage you to read our Welcome Thread to learn about how HIV is and is not transmitted.

Sexually active people should have a full STD screen at least twice a year. Other STD's such as chlamydia, gonorrhoea and genital herpes are much more prevalent and contagious than HIV. A full STD screen will include an HIV antibody test. If it's been a while since your last full screen or if you've never had one before, I would suggest that you make an appointment with your doctor or local clinic.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 08:01:22 pm »
OK, a few thoughts.

First of all, HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. It's significantly harder to accomplish from female to male. Given this was a single incident the odds are in your favor that you're going to test negative.

BUT, you do need to learn from this experience. Everytime you have unprotected intercourse you are putting your life at risk. It's as stark and as simple as that. You can have all the sex you want with as many partners as you like. Just use a latex condom everytime and you are covered literally and figuratively as far as HIV is concerned.

With regard to your symptoms, they mean absolutely nothing in terms of knowing your status and they are in no way HIV specific.

You've got a month of waiting to get through. Stay productively busy and it will pass more quickly than you imagine. ....and keep those condoms handy.

Good luck with your test result.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 06:14:30 am »
highstress,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline highstress

QUESTION
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 01:42:05 pm »
i had unprotected vaginal sex 5 months ago ,and i tested at 12.5 weeks with elisa test and it come back negative ,so i use some painkillers that morning that i tested so can it give my false negative results and its elisa realiable after 12.5 weeks do i need to do it again or just to ease my mind and move on

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: QUESTION
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 06:22:07 pm »
Your use of painkillers would not have affected the result of your HIV test. You did the test at an appropriate time and you can consider that negative result to be reliable.

There is no need for further testing.

Avoid going through this experience again by making sure that condoms are always used for everytime for intercourse, whether vaginal or anal.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: QUESTION
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 06:25:49 pm »
Stress,

This is the second time I've had to merge your threads. Get with the program and stop starting new threads.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.