Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:58:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 310
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 116
Total: 117

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: So.... Here I am..  (Read 3291 times)

Offline Darkling_Cub

So.... Here I am..
« on: May 23, 2015, 07:49:54 am »
So I figured I might as well introduce myself...

Though technically I didnt just test poz, it felt appropriate to introduce myself in this area of the forum, but it has been less than a year since my dx... so here goes. :o)

I can only guess my seroconversion occurred sometime during the summer of 2014, no idea who it might have been, nor is it really relevant at this point. I take full responsibility for my actions or lack of actions that have brought me to where I am now, so theres no point in crying over spilt seed so to speak at this point now is there? ;o)

10.28.2014, I had been feeling like crap for a month or so, taking OTC's for what I thought was a very tenacious cold or maybe bronchitis, but in the back of my mind I knew that that might not be the case. So I pulled my big boy britches on and almost literally drug my butt to the ARC Ohio offices here in Columbus, OH.

Of course my initial oral swab came back poz, go figure. My tester, taking note of my inability to barely stand, let alone get out of a chair unassisted, brought in one of the on staff case managers, who offered to drive me to the nearest ER.

I was admitted to OSU Hospital that night, initial poz status confirmed, as well as a nice case of PCP and Giardia and Thrush, counts that night cd4:3/VL:43K.

I spent 10 fun filled days and 9 nights being treated for the PCP/Giardia/Thrush. 

*please pardon me if I seem a bit loopy at this point, meds are kickin in ;o)

Upon release from the hospital, my case manager set up an appt with my ID at AMC in the Short North, and the rest as the cliche goes, is history...

I didnt start on ART until the 3rd week of November,  primarily because my ID wanted to make sure I didnt have any reactions to any of the antibiotics/antifungal(just say no to fluconazole for me, it wasnt pretty)meds prescribed by my AP from my hospital stay  and secondly because he was still waiting on the specific genotype of HIV running amok inside of me before getting me on ART meds.

My #'s so far

10.28.2014 cd4:3/VL:43K
12.05.2014 cd4:62/VL:310
12.22.2014 cd4:120/VL:179
01.23.2015 cd4:191/VL:<20
03.10.2015 cd4:146/VL<20

My next visit with my ID and the Vampiress(who thinks I am just not right because of my wicked humor) is 06.16.2015

Overall, my experience with all of the staff at ARC Ohio and AMC at every level and dept has been awesome, and lets be honest, without their kindness and support I probably wouldnt be here...

Mentally my dx has quite honestly been a HUGE wake up call for me and I now do my best to squeeze as much life out of every day as I possibly can, no matter how crappy I might feel. I'm finally opening up and connecting with people after 6 long years of self imposed mental/emotional isolation(I wont bore you with the whys and hows of that sad tale of woe).

Being poz(lowercase intentional) will not define me, its  merely another fact in the long list of facts about me, just like my rugged good looks(imagine Mr Clean with a beard and piercings) and wicked humor and blue eyes and the new trendy "dad bod" I have.

I just dont have time to let it run my life because I have other stuff to do, like work and actually enjoy life, let myself fall in love again(ohmyjeebus he is adorable and totally not my "type", but he is rockin my world and we havent even held hands yet... its complicated yes but I'll save that for the appropriate section of the forums)... and all the other stuff people do in their lives... its about how much living you squeeze into the time you do have, whether its 6 months, 6 years or 6 decades... just get out there and live!

Physically, I feel better than I have in years, so far no adverse reactions to my meds(Atripla), except when I happen to stay awake long enough after I've taken them(nice little buzz to be honest) like I have this morning. But all in all I feel great.

So... Here I am boys and girls, love me or hate me... 'cause I've got far too much living to do yet to let being poz hold me back!

Darkling_Cub

Offline Tonny2

Re: So.... Here I am..
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 05:52:22 pm »

ojo    welcome to the forums...you have the right attitude, that helps a lot for the succes of your treatment...I hope your trush is gone, and I suppose you are on antibiotics now...wishing you the best....hugs...btw, I live in Ohio too         ojo

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 01:23:37 am »
Welcome to the forums.  You've been through a lot, so it is good to hear you feel so good and have that positive outlook. 

Mr. Clean has pierced ears, so I imagine you have a few more piercings?  Well, maybe he just has one ear pierced??  Anyway, I look forward to hearing more from you.

All the best,

Ted

Offline Darkling_Cub

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 01:55:39 am »
@Tonny2... Thanx darlin!! Oh yeah the thrush was gone before I got out of the hospital, but my AP from my hospital stay did prescribe fluconazole as after care to prevent a relapse of the thrush, as well as a few antibiotics to prevent relapses of the PCP and Giardia.

Unfortunately I had a semi-severe  allergic reaction to the fluconazole(all of my skin started drying out and peeling off) sort of like Stevens-Johnsons syndrome, but not nearly as severe as some of the worst case scenarios I've heard of thank goodness.

Currently I'm only taking my one a day Atripla and a half tab of Bactrim(to prevent relapse of PCP(down from taking 2 tabs 3x a day)) and hopefully I'll be off the Bactrim after my next ID appt in a few weeks.

So far I havent experienced any adverse reactions to the Atripla, though my ID is keeping an eye on my liver because it appears to be a bit larger than normal, but with no idea what my liver was like prior to my dx, its just a matter of keeping an eye on it over the next couple years I suppose.

Trying to keep busy living and enjoying life 1 day at a time, and working on building a support network(both AFK & AK).

My ID is awesome and takes a very "whole life" approach to treatment, which I find refreshing.

Beautiful day here in Columbus today btw hope you had the same in your neck of the woods... OH weather can be a bit crazy at times though right? LOL

@Ted ... Thanx Ted!! Yepp both ears(1 on the left, 3 on the right, double eyebrow  and a labret)

*hugsx2*

Darkling

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.