Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:46:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 677
Total: 677

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hump update  (Read 8164 times)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Hump update
« on: March 22, 2009, 01:33:43 pm »
So what is the latest on having humps and back fat removed. My partner is unhappy with his appearance and asked me to look into the latest treatments. Has anyone managed to get their insurance to pay for surgery? Any suggestions on doctors or what type of procedures to investigate? I remember hearing that having the fat removed by scalpel was more effective then liposuction- true?

Offline veritas

Re: Hump update
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 01:07:38 pm »

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 10:23:15 am »
Hey Ford,

The article posted by Veritas pretty much said it all. Not much new info available about removing the hump, etc.

I had heard that liposuction is only somewhat effective, which was confirmed in the article.

This is where I am at this point:

Occurring in both men and women, its predominant feature is the fat accumulation at the back of the neck and upper back. Fat accumulation can extend around the neck to the jawline and even around the ears. While unsightly, it also causes functional issues such as neck stiffness and pain and difficulty with the fitting of clothes around the neck.

That part about the clothes fitting is no lie! I have to buy extra large shirts to come close to fitting the neck without leaving two or three buttons undone.

As far as payor sources, I haven't heard of insurance picking up the tab for this. Since it isn't life threatening, its considered cosmetic.

That leaves most of us out in the cold regarding plastic surgery. I don't have the cash to cover it.

If you hear of another source, let me know, though. I try to be the eternal optimist.  ;)

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 12:28:41 pm »
 Hi,I had my hump removed about four years ago.mine was absolutely huge!It prevented me from putting my head back all the way,which made it difficult to drive.and,nope no insurance coverage.My Dr sent me to a surgeon who is familiar with hump removals,and actually did some on one of the Bravo network medical shows.He explained that the fat was too fibrous to be lipoed and had to be surgically removed.It was done through a 4" incision,through which he removed several pounds of fat from my neck to about a third down my back. I had a drainage tube for about a week,and very little pain.I still have a large neck,but having the hump removed changed my life.Good Luck,it will be well worth it.
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline mjmel

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 07:28:46 am »
... the fat was too fibrous to be lipoed and had to be surgically removed.It was done through a 4" incision,through which he removed several pounds of fat from my neck to about a third down my back. I had a drainage tube for about a week,and very little pain.I still have a large neck,but having the hump removed changed my life.Good Luck,it will be well worth it.

Any signs of it coming back, Bubba?

Mike

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 02:10:35 pm »
 Hey Mike,No signs of coming back.I had mine removed by Dr Howell Tiller in South Miami Beach.He's GREAT !! He explained to me that surgically removing it killed the fat cells that were left,and would most likely not come back. Hope this helps 

Bubba
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.