Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2024, 11:54:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37634
  • Latest: Hope007
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 452
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 216
Total: 216

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Poll

UD Pozzies can NOT transmit HIV : Is it time to drop the Biohazards for something more proactive ?

Yes, time to drop biohazards signs and come with a new sign for UD-Ps
8 (32%)
No, we are not sure yet
6 (24%)
No, they are wild and sexy
11 (44%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: POLL: Time to drop Biohazards Symbols  (Read 18811 times)

Offline eric48

• Standard
POLL: Time to drop Biohazards Symbols
« on: June 08, 2014, 09:08:35 am »
UD pozzies are not infectious. Period

In many countries where drugs are available rate of infections has failed to curb down.

The main source and hence target for intervention is well identified: among some (not all) Non-UD Pozzies BUT not UD -Ps

UD Ps are non infectious and the best active barrier to change the stats so why not stop self bashing and engage in a communication that reflects hope, care, do-the-right-thing

What can we come up with that would promote a sense of responsibility rather than exaggerate a damaged goods image

Or do you think it is too early ?

Looking forward to your opinion and, hopefully some creative ideas

Eric   

Typo in pool title : I meant UD-Pozzies can NOT and not can...
Where can I change this? 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 09:31:50 am by eric48 »
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Time to drop Biohazards Symbols
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 09:11:09 am »
                                        FACEPALM
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: POLL: Time to drop Biohazards Symbols
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 10:01:31 am »
                                        FACEPALM
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 10:27:24 am »

In many countries where drugs are available rate of infections has failed to curb down.

The main source and hence target for intervention is well identified: among some (not all) Non-UD Pozzies BUT not UD -Ps

UD Ps are non infectious and the best active barrier to change the stats so why not stop self bashing and engage in a communication that reflects hope, care, do-the-right-thing

What can we come up with that would promote a sense of responsibility rather than exaggerate a damaged goods image

Or do you think it is too early ?

Looking forward to your opinion and, hopefully some creative ideas

Eric   

Typo in pool title : I meant UD-Pozzies can NOT and not can...
Where can I change this? 

My personal opinion:  you are damaged goods only if you think you are damaged goods.  It's how you think and act that is important.

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 11:46:15 am »

Your premise isn't true anyway

... but it's definitely "near zero"

Offline absopozilutely

• Love to chat/text/talk/encourage!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 11:56:50 am »
                                        FACEPALM

Agreed.
12/18 Infected
2/4 12:22pm tested POZ via ORAquick
2/19 WB Confirmation
2/4-2/19 VL 104,678 CD4 407
3/2 Genotype back, and Started Complera
4/2-CD4 688 38% and VL 1,600
5/1-CD4 592 42% and VL 336
5/22-CD4 732 31% and VL 109 :( STILL NOT UD!
5/31 Switched to Stribild :( I'll miss you Complera!
6/19 CD4 508 35% and VL UD!!!!! Crying at work like a baby.
9/19 CD4 799 46% VL UD yayyyy
5/1/19 CD4 1100 VL still UD.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 03:32:42 pm »
                                        FACEPALM

FACEPALM

FACEPALM

Joe

Offline zach

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 07:17:10 pm »
so i shouldn't get the tattoo on my ass to celebrate UD?

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 09:23:23 pm »
i love my bio-hazard tattoo. although it's on my back and my only tattoo that I can't see, I still love it.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Growler

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 09:28:48 pm »
I think for some the biohazard symbol was a way to openly acknowledge their poz status; a kind of way of saying to other gay men  fuck yes I am, so what, deal with it. So I feel its culturally significant. Hope that makes sense.
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 09:38:23 pm »
i love my bio-hazard tattoo. although it's on my back and my only tattoo that I can't see, I still love it.

So you THINK you like your tattoo LOL . I will get one on my ass if I ever have to take norvir again . Out of all the nasty HIV meds I detest norvir the best ... it was disturbing what became of that med when it met my intestines . I offended and english bulldog who shared my bed whilst on that drug ... thats quite an acomplisment when you think about it .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Growler

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 09:53:00 pm »
Norvir is so much fun. I take it twice a day and have a special bucket for soaking my underwear and carry spare undies in my back back in case of little "accidents".
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 10:51:08 pm »
I find this "poll" divisive and narrow minded, tone-deaf and insulting.

Tone-deaf and insulting to people and their experiences in life.  The only time I have seen bio-hazard symbols is as tattoos - so WTF are you suggesting?  Has it ever occurred to you these are meaningful to the people who have them?  Nobody is forcing the biohazard on anyone.  And time marches on. 

It's narrow-minded to make more attempts to divide society into binaries -- like you are seeming to do with this "UD pozzies".  Ick.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 11:00:29 pm »

Thank you .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 11:07:44 pm »
  The only time I have seen bio-hazard symbols is as tattoos - so WTF are you suggesting?

You're kidding right ?  If you have never seen a bio hazard symbol other than a tattoo, you haven't been around much.

There all over hospitals, in doctors offices, Nursing homes, Assisted living. where you get you blood drawn... It's where they deposit used needles, Etc. The containers are clearly marked "Bio Hazard" ( with the symbol,..and I  see many of those containers when I have my blood drawn every 3 months ! I saw a lot of them in the workplace, and I had one at my desk.

I've seen trucks on the road with the Bio hazard Symbol. Those are the trucks that pick up the bio hazard waste, from those places I mentioned.

Eric, the symbol is not going away anytime soon. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 11:09:57 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 12:29:40 am »
oh no, I know I love it. It was all exposed all day the other day at the water park. (I've got a season pass to the amusement park (Carowinds) just a couple miles away from my house and I spent 2 days away from the remodeling at my house over is the water park). I heard whispering about my tat. I had people ask what they symbol was. I had people ask what the tat meant to me. Kids and adults.

But then that's just me. Shirtless all summer long, in a pool somewhere, and willing to talk to anybody about the HIV.

(ps I picked wild and sexy in the poll, as if there was any question. LOL)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Disturbed

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 04:29:01 am »
Your premise isn't true anyway

... but it's definitely "near zero"

That premise may be true. Or it may not. We just don´t know.

I don´t care about my virus. I don´t care about a cure (for me). All what I want is to be 100% non-infectious. And maybe I am already, but there is no way I can prove it, so most people will be always scared to have sex with me.
And that sucks very much. And if we are really non-infectious it would be totally unfair. And it would suck even more.
Jan'12 Diagnosed HIV+ CD4 26 VL 3.400.000
Dec'12 Diagnosed visceral leishmaniasis CD4 60 VL 560
May'13 Diagnosed CIDP CD4 180 VL UD
May'14 CD4 330 VL UD

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 05:56:20 am »
And that sucks very much. And if we are really non-infectious it would be totally unfair. And it would suck even more.

Thank you !
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2014, 07:52:11 am »
Has it ever occurred to you these are meaningful to the people who have them? 

This presumes an ability to rationally think prior to posting......

You're kidding right ?  If you have never seen a bio hazard symbol other than a tattoo, you haven't been around much.

I do believe that the OP wasn't talking about bio-hazard symbols in general -- just those that are "used" by poz folks.  I'm assuming predominately the tattoos that some have.

Thank you !

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I didn't read Disturbed post as agreeing with your insulting premise.

Mike

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2014, 09:07:47 am »

There all over hospitals, in doctors offices, Nursing homes, Assisted living. where you get you blood drawn... It's where they deposit used needles, Etc. The containers are clearly marked "Bio Hazard" ( with the symbol,..and I  see many of those containers when I have my blood drawn every 3 months ! I saw a lot of them in the workplace, and I had one at my desk.

I've seen trucks on the road with the Bio hazard Symbol. Those are the trucks that pick up the bio hazard waste, from those places I mentioned.

Eric, the symbol is not going away anytime soon.

Obvious I mean the tattoo as e symbol for HIV+.   And the tattoo was never that pervasive anyway. 

I assumed Eric is speaking of the tattoo's symbolism/significations by HIV+ people to each other, and to the world   :o

How many are out there, and how many people really notice, and who really has such bad reactions that someone is drumming their fingers hoping to ban the practice because somehow its damaging and not forward looking? 
(And fund all the tattoo removal - good luck with that one...)

Now Eric, if you succeed in on your Herculean battle, may I suggest your next challenge?  Please could you ban adult men buy and wearing suits that are too small.  Short arms, short legs, seams running into the buttcrack which we see because the vent is also too short, falling to mid butt.  Enough with this madness!  ::)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 09:10:25 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline YellowFever

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2014, 09:23:06 am »

Well, if a poll was unifying in its nature, it wouldn't be a poll would it?

Im curious to know how this biohazard tattoo thing went viral in the first place. Is it from all the symbols found in AIDS wards? If people draw inspiration for tattoos based on what they see in their daily life, then I imagine UD pozzies would eventually get a tattoo of an oval outline with "123" or "GSI" inside
08/2010 HIV- 08/2012 HIV+
10/2012 CD4 415
04/2013 CD4 457
10/2013 CD4 520 VL 650
02/2014 CD4 410 VL 390
08/2014 CD4 580
01/2015 CD4 500 VL UD
05/2015 CD4 420 VL 2500
08/2015 CD4 460 VL UD
03/2016 CD4 500 VL UD
08/2016 CD4 410 VL 4467

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2014, 09:30:15 am »
Well, if a poll was unifying in its nature, it wouldn't be a poll would it?

Im curious to know how this biohazard tattoo thing went viral in the first place. Is it from all the symbols found in AIDS wards? If people draw inspiration for tattoos based on what they see in their daily life, then I imagine UD pozzies would eventually get a tattoo of an oval outline with "123" or "GSI" inside

Adopting the symbol was and act of defiance and a personal statement on what we went through in the 80's and 90's . To me its the same thing as when people adopt offensive words there were once used to stereotype, hurt and disenfranchise in order to rob it of the power to do harm . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2014, 09:31:07 am »
There's a hardcore punk / heavy metal band based in NYC called Biohazard (active for 25 years) and I've seen what I'm fairly sure are straight guys using this tattoo symbol. I'd only feel safe relying on the status if I was in a gay bar or bath house.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 09:31:11 am »

Is it from all the symbols found in AIDS wards? If people draw inspiration for tattoos based on what they see in their daily life, then I imagine UD pozzies would eventually get a tattoo of an oval outline with "123" or "GSI" inside

:D although I don't have any tattoos, You may have started something here !  :)

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline YellowFever

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 09:48:55 am »
Adopting the symbol was and act of defiance and a personal statement on what we went through in the 80's and 90's . To me its the same thing as when people adopt offensive words there were once used to stereotype, hurt and disenfranchise in order to rob it of the power to do harm .

But that doesnt explain why the biohazard symbol in particular became adopted. It would have been seen on normal surgical wards and etc right?
08/2010 HIV- 08/2012 HIV+
10/2012 CD4 415
04/2013 CD4 457
10/2013 CD4 520 VL 650
02/2014 CD4 410 VL 390
08/2014 CD4 580
01/2015 CD4 500 VL UD
05/2015 CD4 420 VL 2500
08/2015 CD4 460 VL UD
03/2016 CD4 500 VL UD
08/2016 CD4 410 VL 4467

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 09:53:44 am »
No one should be told what to do with his or her body. If you want a biohazard tat, get it done. I totally appreciate the symbolism.

But I do think we need to address the tendency for some of the more "mature" members of this forum having mile long signature blocks.

It futzes up the screens.

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 09:58:46 am »

But I do think we need to address the tendency for some of the more "mature" members of this forum having mile long signature blocks.

werd

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 10:02:06 am »
But that doesnt explain why the biohazard symbol in particular became adopted. It would have been seen on normal surgical wards and etc right?

People who had HIV were treated as bio-hazards and that's the connection ... The people I knew in the 80's who adopted the symbol did it for political and social statement reasons . I cant speak to why people do it today but this was my experience from way back when . I think some folks get them now because they think its a cool graphic ... and is is in my opinion and cool graphic .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2014, 10:58:32 am »
I don't understand how it can be suggested that it's time to drop the tat when some don't even understand the significance of it.  I've spent enough fucking time in hospital rooms with that symbol plastered everywhere including a huge one on the door to my room.  Time to drop it????  WHY?  It has historical significance in that it allowed people to own it and diminish the negative connotation associated with it. 

As a person who was indoctrinated with a deep religious belief about tats and piercings, I could also suggest it's time to stop tats all together?  NO, it's a fundamental truism that all people have the right to decide what to do with their bodies.  If you don't like the bio tat, don't get one.  It's along the same tide of repubs who seek to diminish the rights of individuals due to beliefs that differ. 

Remember the posts that went around a while back;  "don't believe in gay marriage?  Don't marry someone of the same sex".  "Don't believe in abortion?  don't get one".  The list is pretty much endless. 

I personally will never have a tat or piercing but would never suggest that others should follow my beliefs. 

wolfie

modified to add:  I just realized why this whole symbol thing angered me.  Just a few years ago, I was admitted to the hospital with a few CD4's and a vl of 6.7 million.  Wracked with the Crypto, it was assumed I was finished.  They admitted me to a paliative care room and plastered a huge fucking bio hazard symbol on my door.  I went totally bat shit crazy and my beloved now doctor agreed and was also upset.  I was moved to a regular room with no door tats visible.  :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 11:28:28 am by wolfter »
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Dan0

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2014, 11:18:49 am »
I just noticed the 'come up with another symbol for UD'. Great. Just what we need. Yet another way to have some marginization in the community!

I never really gave it much thought. I see enough of the tats in the gym, at the beach....everywhere. I assume that the wearer knew what he or she was permanently getting on his or her body, so my only thought is usually, 'Well good for you! work it!'
"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2014, 11:34:47 am »
Oh wow, so thats what that means.. I've seen these tats before and had no idea it was a "I'm POZ" statement.. Always thought it meant "I'm toxic" or "I'm dangerous".. never thought to ask cause I never ask people about their tattoos anyways.. I did find them pretty cool though in a punk kind a way  :)

Now that I know, I'll ask "hey, are you POZ? me too!" LOL

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2014, 11:37:48 am »

In 1985, at Morton Plant Hospital in Clearwater, Florida, The Bio- hazard was placed on the doors of rooms that had Aids patients in there.

When I was visiting a friend of mine at that hospital, in 1985, I was handed a mask and foot covers before I entered the room.  The bio -hazard symbol was on the door, and that was the first time I noticed it.

Thus.... As Paul Harvey used to say, " Now you know the rest of the story"

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline zach

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2014, 11:42:19 am »
there is a band that uses it as its logos, their fans also get the tattoo, don't assume someone is positive just by that tattoo.

i wasn't being sarcastic either, i really am thinking about getting some ink for UD, i expect to be this lab and think something is in order

i've also heard, maybe even here, that a scorpion tattoo is also a positive symbol

i was thinking of a red positive sign, inner wrist.

i'm not trying to marginalize anyone

Offline Dan0

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2014, 11:50:38 am »
No Zach, my point was that our own community is sometimes our worst enemy. Too old, Too young, Too Big, too......whatever you want? It just doesn't seem as if there is any filter on when it comes to setting people apart.

There are a couple that I know that have big bio-hazards on their shoulders. At the bar, I've overheard a few whispers coming from some of the younger set when they look at them and Lord only knows what they think it is. Of course, one day they laughed at the leather-daddy bouncer's chaps and he drug them across the street to the dance bar, threw them in the door and told them to stay there until they grew a pair.
"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2014, 11:57:50 am »
Oh wow, so thats what that means.. I've seen these tats before and had no idea it was a "I'm POZ" statement.. Always thought it meant "I'm toxic" or "I'm dangerous".. never thought to ask cause I never ask people about their tattoos anyways.. I did find them pretty cool though in a punk kind a way  :)

Now that I know, I'll ask "hey, are you POZ? me too!" LOL

I would not automatically assume it means they are poz ... I also want to make it clear that my definition of what that symbol means may not be the same for others .

I once knew a woman who's nick name was Fly Girl who sported a home made tattoo that read Fly Grill because her boyfriend could not spell .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2014, 12:29:24 pm »
Got it  ;) No assuming .. And scorpians look cool too.  ;)

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2014, 04:10:42 pm »
Quote: What can we come up with that would promote a sense of responsibility rather than exaggerate a damaged goods image

When outsiders evaluate insider culture, they often make ridiculously wrong assumptions due to interference from their own personal cultural baggage. This is an example.

The biohazard tattoo is not in any way a mark of “damaged goods” for the majority of those sporting one, myself included.  The meanings vary from person to person, but for most of us it's a mark of pride (for some even of superiority over the uninfected who in many ways have not yet witnessed the richness of being alive and of being human, their eyes blinded by the shining but ephemeral rays of hope for immortality and belief in their own eternal youth).

We, on the other hand, have the opportunity to learn early what many only learn at the end of the end (if at all). This symbol says we have not been afraid to live, to touch, to experience, and we are still here. And, of course, it warns: enter at your own risk. There are biohazards present.

But mine is an old-fashioned view. The kids these days think I'm about as toxic as milquetoast. It’s hepatitis C, global financial collapse and asteroid strikes on Earth that they worry about, not mundane threats like the common cold or (haha) AIDS.

As for recognition of the symbol, I'd guess that maybe around half of the people who see it know what it means, keeping in mind that the only people who see mine are gay men who are positive themselves, those who pretend to be positive and those who don't care.

For what it’s worth, my second tattoo, in response to the first, is an antibody symbol.
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2014, 04:47:39 pm »
Glad to see a post from you Lee. It's been awhile and I miss your input but I suppose you have been busy with who knows what. Sure would love to hear how you are doing lately.

Sorry for the short hijack.

modified to add:
if I were younger and single I might consider a bioH tattoo.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 04:50:03 pm by mitch777 »
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2014, 04:57:51 pm »
Glad to see a post from you Lee. It's been awhile and I miss your input but I suppose you have been busy with who knows what. Sure would love to hear how you are doing lately.

Sorry for the short hijack.

modified to add:
if I were younger and single I might consider a bioH tattoo.

When you come visit we can get matching biohazard tattoos on our face Mike Tyson style .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2014, 05:05:37 pm »
When you come visit we can get matching biohazard tattoos on our face Mike Tyson style .

you first.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2014, 05:07:35 pm »
you first.

I could so easy just get a henna tat and let you get a real one LOL .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2014, 05:10:32 pm »
I could so easy just get a henna tat and let you get a real one LOL .

you probably could get away with it.  :-\

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2014, 05:25:35 pm »
Quote: What can we come up with that would promote a sense of responsibility rather than exaggerate a damaged goods image

When outsiders evaluate insider culture, they often make ridiculously wrong assumptions due to interference from their own personal cultural baggage. This is an example.

The biohazard tattoo is not in any way a mark of “damaged goods” for the majority of those sporting one, myself included.  The meanings vary from person to person, but for most of us it's a mark of pride (for some even of superiority over the uninfected who in many ways have not yet witnessed the richness of being alive and of being human, their eyes blinded by the shining but ephemeral rays of hope for immortality and belief in their own eternal youth).

We, on the other hand, have the opportunity to learn early what many only learn at the end of the end (if at all). This symbol says we have not been afraid to live, to touch, to experience, and we are still here. And, of course, it warns: enter at your own risk. There are biohazards present.

But mine is an old-fashioned view. The kids these days think I'm about as toxic as milquetoast. It’s hepatitis C, global financial collapse and asteroid strikes on Earth that they worry about, not mundane threats like the common cold or (haha) AIDS.

As for recognition of the symbol, I'd guess that maybe around half of the people who see it know what it means, keeping in mind that the only people who see mine are gay men who are positive themselves, those who pretend to be positive and those who don't care.

For what it’s worth, my second tattoo, in response to the first, is an antibody symbol.

...an eloquent response, thank you.

Like Mich, its good to hear from you and I hope you are well.

JM
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2014, 08:23:45 pm »
Interesting comments, but I think it's comparing apples to oranges.  The Biohazard symbol never meant one was undetectable, simply because undetectable did not exist.  I think a combination of what Jeff, Greg and Oksikoko said is much closer to the truth about the origin and use of the symbol.

I think a more relevant question would be: "Should we choose a symbol that reflects our virus (poz) and health (undetectable) status?"  You could pick a symbol and then color it, say green to reflect undetectable, red for untreated, or whatever.

Personally, the last thing we need are more ways to divide our community, because it's just so damn hard to open your mouth and actual state your relevant health information.

Joe

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2014, 10:05:29 pm »
i would LOVE a face tat! I just never got around to it and now I'm probably getting too old to bother with it. LOL
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline pittman

« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2014, 10:33:15 pm »
[.  . . ] Now Eric, if you succeed in on your Herculean battle, may I suggest your next challenge?  Please could you ban adult men buy and wearing suits that are too small.  Short arms, short legs, seams running into the buttcrack which we see because the vent is also too short, falling to mid butt.  Enough with this madness!  ::)

I totally refute your premiss with the following well selected link to a semi current op-ed piece clearly stating we should encourage more tiny bathing suits.   The fact that this led me to following the links to photos of Tom Daley in his suit was, most assuredly, purely coincidental.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/doonan/2013/06/men_in_speedos_american_men_need_to_get_over_their_fear_of_wearing_swim.html

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2014, 10:40:33 pm »
Miss P owns about a dozen designer swimsuits in very small cuts, which she flaunted for years from East Hampton, to Miami and on to San Juan -- and a dash of Cap d'Antibes . However, I packed them away once I turned 35 along with all of my tank tops. One must be age appropriate.

* pictures available upon request
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 10:42:49 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline pittman

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2014, 10:48:36 pm »
What exactly would be a tattoo for "undetectable"?

Should it be reactive to viral load and disappear when there is a viral load "blip"? The viral load tattoo equivalent of a 70's mood ring?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2014, 10:50:28 pm »
What exactly would be a tattoo for "undetectable"?

Should it be reactive to viral load and disappear when there is a viral load "blip"? The viral load tattoo equivalent of a 70's mood ring?

It would a tattoo that reads 50 thats been crossed out and 20 written beside it, or something .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline zach

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2014, 10:56:52 pm »
just a mark for the day. one more in a line of them. i was thinking the outline of a red cross, with B POS written across. my blood type, but also an obvious play on words

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.