Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:38:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 366
Total: 368

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: !  (Read 10702 times)

Offline dgls44

!
« on: September 20, 2006, 01:05:31 am »
~
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 12:12:02 am by dgls44 »

Offline clarke

Re: Anyone using Lyrica for Neuropathy?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 03:56:01 pm »
I haven't heard of Lyrica for Neuropathy.  I've had peripheral neuropathy in my lower legs and feet since 1995, and only found Neurontin (Gabapentin) enough just to take the "edge" off of the pain.

I've recently been given Cymbalta, but after reading about it on the website, I'm extremely reluctant to take it.

The only other "medication" that has offered more relief for me at night, has been a little Cannibas, but only a little, and only at night.

Offline dgls44

!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 11:18:30 am »
~
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 12:17:12 am by dgls44 »

Offline dgls44

!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 02:18:57 am »
~
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 12:17:50 am by dgls44 »

Offline clarke

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 03:05:11 pm »
Lyrica?  Made me ill, nauseas and worse loss of balance.

Cymbalta, the same as above.

Double dose of my Gabapentin?  Now it doesn't work at ALL anymore.

Trileptal?  Made me more insomniac than I am now, and more "aware" of how much my legs/feet/ankles hurt.

All of those are some kind of anti-depressents of some kind or another, and my system doesn't react or respond well to them.

The only relief I really get is at night when I take Elavil (25mg.) and Lorazopam (2mg.).  And on occassion a hit of some herb.  Other than that, they hurt constantly.

SFscruff

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 07:11:20 pm »
I was in a six month PK (pharmacokinetics) study of Lyrica/pregabalin this past winter and spring.  I titrated off Neurontin/gabapentin, endured a 'wash-out' period, was administered the Lyrica/pregabalin or placebo under supervision, and blood was drawn at specific intervals to check the amount of Lyrica or placebo in my bloodstream.  I recorded pain scores for my small-fiber lower leg and feet neuropathy on an electronic pain dairy that continued when Lyrica or placebo was added to my home formulary.  The study was double-blinded until two months ago, when I was notified that I had indeed been administered Lyrica/pregabalin at 75mg, at 12 hour intervals. 

My personal experience was that there was no difference between Lyrica and Neurontin on various subjective pain measurement and objective nerve conductivity scores.  Pregabalin is a 2nd generation analog of gabapentin, nearly identical to gabapentin, and apparently developed by Pfizer to retain market share when Neurontin/gabapentin comes off patent protection.  There are only three inconsequential 'points' in the analog difference between the two medications and double-blind, placebo-controlled studies comparing Neurontin and Lyrica are statistically identical in outcome for peripheral neuropathy pain coverage in HIV patients.  I guess 'lyrical' Lyrica sounds more 'dramatic opening score' than 'tinny' Neurontin.

The only difference, other than a huge price, appears to be that Neurontin is more dose-dependent than Lyrica, so for patients with compliance issues, Lyrica might be easier to take.  Increasing the milligrams in each dose of Neurontin supposedly is largely ineffective as 'the more you take at once, the less gets into your bloodstream.'  Apparently, the gut receptors can only absorb and transmit a certain quantity of the Neurontin and the rest is excreted in the feces.  I switched back to 600mg of Neurontin at eight hour intervals for lower peaks, higher troughs and adequate coverage.  All I can say for Lyrica, is that the study paid a couple hundred dollars and I got some pretty snazzy measurements and tests performed and added to my medical chart.  SFscruff

Offline jntmax39

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 07:44:39 pm »
I also take Lyrica. They just ^ it to 150mg2xaday. I don't feel a difference. I don't have stabbing pains threw my ankles,but the pain is still there very bad. It hurts so bad I actually feel like cutting my legs off. Now it is starting in my hands and arms.
Don't know what to do about it anymore,I was on morphine patch but had a reaction.I'm affraid to start taking pain meds,so I just suffer with it.

Offline dgls44

!
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 11:50:29 am »
~
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 12:13:04 am by dgls44 »

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 12:18:33 pm »
I also take Lyrica. They just ^ it to 150mg2xaday. I don't feel a difference. I don't have stabbing pains threw my ankles,but the pain is still there very bad. It hurts so bad I actually feel like cutting my legs off. Now it is starting in my hands and arms.
Don't know what to do about it anymore,I was on morphine patch but had a reaction.I'm affraid to start taking pain meds,so I just suffer with it.

Hi JNT,

Sorry to hear about your neuropathy problems.  I read your other post about the diabetes and it sounds like you are having some problems controlling your blood sugars (A1c at 10).  The neuropathy is probably related more to this than the HIV and would not likely improve unless your blood sugar control improves.  Hopefully, you and your diabetes doc can find a way to get this under control.  Good luck.

G

SFscruff

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 03:12:10 pm »
dgls44, I'm no doctor, but from what I've read and been told by neurologists, etc., the 800 mg in a single dose of Nurontin/gabapentin would most likely be poorly absorbed.  Neurontin is very dose dependent, it supposedly varies by individual, but smaller does more often is recommended for better pain type coverage and fewer of the 'zonk+dizzy+walk-out-in-traffic+gooey' side effects.  The problem is taking the spread-out doses when they don't necessarily correspond to dosing times for other medications.  Always a trade-off.  I tried the various complementary supplements, but found that the benefit was rather, humm, abstract.  Since pain is so subjective, it did feel better when taking them, because I knew I was doing something, but they are quite pricey.  I just ended up spending the money I was budgeting for the supplements on higher quality food ingredients.  I also massage my lower legs with essential oil of peppermint, it feels great, like a gust of cool wind from a mountain glacier, right.  A friend also gave me one of those U.F.O. looking foot spas, it feels great too and lets me multi-task (reading!).  Mindfulness meditation also helps change the focus and understanding of the 'innocuous' and idiopathic pain from peripheral neuropathy, again, something of a placebo, but helpful.  SFscruff.   

Offline AustinPZ

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 09:27:18 am »
I had the unfortunate luck to get Shingles.   :'(.   I went to my Family Practice physician and he gave me lyrica.  It worked for me.  The standard dose did not work so the doc upped the dose. 
As the shingles went away, I was finally able to get off the medication.  The doc had just started using it in his practice for shingles and said that I was his 5th success with the medication for the
neuropathy.

SFscruff

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 12:33:25 pm »
AustinPZ,  Neurontin/gabapentin has been prescribed for years for relief from post-herpetic neuralgia, there's quite a bit of literature and clinical experience in minimizing the pain from varicella zoster in HIV patients. Odd that your doctor hasn't been prescribing Neurontin for neurological conditions and is now on the Lyrica bandwagon.  Scruff 

Offline tinydaniell

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 01:06:46 pm »
well started lyrica after shingles because i am allergic to something in neurotin but has worked well hor me

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.