Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:26:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 381
Total: 381

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Rather concerned for a year now  (Read 7431 times)

Offline SuperStressed

Rather concerned for a year now
« on: August 15, 2006, 11:30:31 am »
Hi all!! I am back and thought I was doing so well. 
My situation brings me back to August of ’05.  My girlfriend and I had broken up and I was now back on the singles train.  As a nice gesture a friend of mine invited me out after having had 3 weeks of alone time.  He introduced me to a young lady friend of his.  We had spent the night socializing and having a fair bit of vino.  Not to go into extreme detail, but by the end of the night we ended up together having protective vaginal intercourse.  Later that evening, during our sleep and again, after the evening of having consumed too much wine, I awoke and found myself inserted in her vagina from a spooning pos’n without a condom.  Panicked, immediately I pulled out, but was unsure how long I had been inside her.  I am assuming it wasn’t very long as she seemed unshaken by the moment.  So, that is the sexual act that I have lived to regret over the past year.  I have had my moments of ups and downs, but those are the details.  As well, I have quit drinking all together.
A few days after that evening had past, I discovered a few warts on my joe.  I had never had them before, so I went to the doctor and had them zapped (not a very enjoyable experience). It took about 2 weeks to shake.  And no others showed up.
This definitely started my downward spiral.  I saw online an association with HPV and HIV.  Is this true?
As time went on, I found myself getting very anxious and worried.  It was so bad I was prescribed Effexor XR.  It calmed me. But I was experiencing some crazy symptoms that worried me of HIV.  Sweats, shakes, nausea, electrical shock feelings, coated/uncomfortable tongue and many more. 
At 8 weeks I had a HIV Test and it came back negative.  I was elated and felt some relief, but symptoms seemed to persist.
In Nov’05, lots happened.  I got back with my original girl friend and I travelled to the carribean for a 2 week family holiday.  While I was there, I had some other really strange symptoms happen like a dry tongue/mouth, and about 10 little red spots popped up on my body (these spots are still there) along with all of the previous symptoms.  I definitely was in a panic of sorts worried that maybe the 1st HIV test was wrong and I had passed the virus onto my girlfriend after being back together. (BTW, she wasn’t on this holiday with me). 
Upon returning from my trip, I met up with my doctor.  He insisted, I was still HIV Neg., but I wanted another test.  This was at week 20, and it came back negative.  He did some other bloodwork also, and it came back positive for H Pylori.  Again, I was relieved it wasn’t HIV, but still I was experiencing the crazy symptoms and thought they may have been caused by the H Pylori.  I was given the drug pack to fight off the bacteria in December.
As a few months past, I still had the strange symptoms, but not always.  They would come and go.  My mouth went dry at times.  I had some days where my back or legs would ache.  I had the shakes and sweats, and then when March 06 rolled around, I began to get these very sore pains in my armpits at the insertion areas of my pecs, combined with crazy sweats.  The doctor felt that these pains were caused by my muscles and that nodes were not the issue.  I still felt scared and wanted another HIV Test to be done.  This test came back negative as well.  Relief and probably the most relief I had had.  I also retested for H Pylori.  I still had that dreaded bug, but it was lower than before.  So I did another run of meds.
End of May, I hadda insurance health test to complete.  HIV was one of the components I was tested for.  I never heard anything back from the insurance co., other than that I was approved for the insurance. I figured no news was good news. This was at 10 months.
My H pylori test was done again, and it was still positive.  Yet another run of the meds for it was completed.  I was still feeling was very uncomfortable symptoms. And leading up to now, I am doing another run of meds to fight off the H Pylori.  My doctor figures this will eradicate it totally, but I am still feeling some undesirable feelings/symptoms.  Every 2 weeks or so, I get a canker sore/blister on the tip of my tongue.  When I have an erection, for some reason, it isn’t as hard as it was in the past, almost like it is harder to get an erection.  As well, when I am having a bowel movement, there is a little bit of jiz on the tip of my joe. As well, I get these itchy spells, where my legs or arms will get crazy itchy!
I have spoken with the girl from the original night last August, and nothing has ever come up about these concerns, other than me mentioning I contracted a small case of warts from her.  She claims she has taken care of it on her end.
Today I fear I may have given HIV to my girlfriend fearing all of my tests were false negatives.  We both seem to be constantly tired with muscle aches and pains.  She recently has been combating a sore throat with some crazy swollen tonsils.  I had just had a sore throat, but my armpits with pain seem to trouble me daily along with a sore lower back, and I tend to get those itchy spells as well. ( Especially when I am hot, of which, I sweal more than I ever have.)
I felt I had to share my history with you in order to relate my questions.  I hope you don't mind.  I respect your opinions very much.
1)    Could the H Pylori, or the meds taken for the H pylori itself effect the HIV Testing?
2)   As I know symptoms do not dictate HIV, do HIV Symptoms get better and worse as time goes on?
3)   Is HPV associated with HIV?
4)   I have read that some people do not seroconvert until after 1 year, is this true?  Could it apply to me?
   I know you are not doctors, but your advice and expert opinions relative to HIV would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks 

Offline RapidRod

Re: Rather concerned for a year now
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 11:46:27 am »
You really need to seek out a mental health professional. You are HIV negative and there is nothing more to add to your questions.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 12:39:46 pm »
Super,

You say that you are "back" - which I take to mean you were a member of this forum before the software change. If this is true, then you should know by now that symptoms don't mean a thing when it comes to hiv infection.

You may have (had) warts, you may have (had) H. pylori, but one thing you do NOT have is hiv - not from the situation you're worried about anyway. Your tests have proved that conclusively.

What does worry me though is that you are obviously having unprotected intercourse with your girlfriend. Have you tested together? Because if you haven't, you should. She could be hiv positive for all you know. And don't think that because you have tested negative means she is too. I was positive for the first year and a half of my current relationship before I knew my status and he's still negative seven years later. If I were to go by his results, I would think I'm also negative. I'm not. You can't go by your own test result to know someone else's status and visa-versa.

You are negative as of three months prior to your last test. If you've been having unprotected intercourse in the meantime with anyone, including your girlfriend, you need to test 12-13 weeks after your last unprotected encounter. If your girlfriend also tests negative, then you're good to go. If she's never tested, you should be using condoms with her until she does test.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline SuperStressed

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 12:05:07 pm »
Thanks Rapid Rod and Ann,
Your input and knowledge is greatly appreciated.
I have had alot of support from my doctor, both on dealing with the physical symptoms and the mental torment of this situation. 
I would imagine you have seen many individuals here that have thought they were positive and thats why they were experiencing the physical symptoms.  The mind is a powerful tool, and if a negative sub-conscience gets hold, it is tough to control.
I was actually at the Dr. this morning and the issues that I have had with my joe and erections seems to be caused by a swollen prostate.  This is a little hard to handle, when you are only 35.  And knowing it is not, I still questioned is the swollen prostate caused bt HIV.  Crazy, I know.
I guess the process that takes place for myself and many of the other individuals posting on this site, is when these symptoms that come about take place, we question the HIV Tests that we have had because the feelings/symptoms we are experiencing are sensations we have never experienced before.  For myself it seems like a cycle.  With the help of my Doc, the cycle is no where near as bad as it was, but it is still there.  Have you seen this before?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 12:25:59 pm »
Super,

Are you asking if we've seen people drive themselves nuts thinking every little twinge is down to hiv? ALL THE TIME. Does it mean anything? NO. Most of the people through here test negative and a good many of them never had a risk in the first place. I've been on this forum for five years and in that time I've seen less than a dozen test positive.

You are hiv negative and your tests have proved that conclusively. Whatever is causing any of your problems is something other than hiv. Keep working with your doctor to get to the bottom of what's going on.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline SuperStressed

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 04:51:44 pm »
Hello, And thanks for your reply Ann.
I have another question for you. 
The mind is a powerful and can be a dangerous tool.  I know that stress and anxiety of a 'worried well' individual can cause the brain to release neurotransmitters that can have an impact on other functions of the body.  I.E. Erectile dysfunction, weakened immune system, and many others.  Can these neurotransmitters have an impact on the bodies ability to produce HIV Antibodies? Or,
Can the impact of severe stress or anxiety have an impact on HIV Testing and seroconverting time?  Could the impact of 'worried well' stress, impede the the immune systems ability to produce HIV anti-bodies? (As I know I have read late sero-=conversion can take place in an individual with a weakened immune system)
Thanks
Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 05:34:40 pm »
Super,

Stress will make you ill, but it will absolutely NOT interfere with antibody production. You are conclusively negative. Stop looking for reasons to disbelieve your test result. If you cannot accept your negative hiv status, perhaps it's time to get yourself some face-to-face help and support with your health related anxieties before they take over your life.

You are hiv negative and it's time for you to move on with your life.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline SuperStressed

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 02:06:31 pm »
Hello again,
I am back and feeling somewhat better than I was.  Thank you for all of you reassuring responses to my concerns.  I have been speaking with a therapist one on one, and it seems to be helping.  I still have a few struggles at believing that all of my symptoms are a result of stress and anxiety.  So I hope you don't mind me posting a few of my concerns.
I still have been experiencing the strange symptoms of a coated tongue, sore armpits, continually tired, sweats, itchy skin, and the issues of erectile dysfunction.
Knowing my testing that has taken place, 10 weeks, 21 weeks, 44 weeks (10 mos.), and for a life insurance test at 50 weeks.  All of which has come back negative, what are the odds of these tests not catching any antibodies?
I just have had and continue to have a tuff time believing that these symptoms are caused by my mind.  If there is no possability of the tests being wrong, would I be considered a severe case of "worried well" syndrome?  And do you know any other forums or informative sites that I could explore to help me understand or relate to this type of ailment?
I feel bad asking these concerns, when I feel I should know the answer, but my subconscious seems to attack at me saying, "it is possible that you tested to soon, or you never seroconverted before the testing".  Then I read about late seroconversion and wonder if I am one of those unlucky individuals whom had the false negative tests.
Any input or support would be greatly appreciated.  As experts, your knowledge is appreciated as well.
Thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 03:30:30 pm »
You are reliably NEGATIVE.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 03:32:03 pm »
Stressed,

There is exactly ZERO percent chance that all your testing would have failed to pick up hiv antibodies if you were indeed hiv positive. You are hiv negative, no doubt about it.

Your symptoms could be anything. Instead of believing that they must be in your head if it's not hiv, go see your doctor and let the doctor figure out what's wrong. Whatever it is, it is NOT hiv. There is not a website on the face of the planet that can diagnose you. Only your doctor can do that so make an appointment. NOW.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worried1947

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 02:55:49 pm »
I am also in exact similar situation as u r and all my symtoms are consistent with yours and if you find anything that was cause of your symtoms do PM me. I have also been tested till 7months and was negative but these symtoms like coated tongue and sore armpits are still there but no swollen glands.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 02:57:23 pm by worried1947 »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 02:57:56 pm »
Worried, don't be posting in others threads. Keep all your questions and thoughts in your own thread. If you haven't read the guidelines of this forum they can be found in the "Welcome" thread.

Offline worried1947

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 02:59:43 pm »
I am sorry about that... it won't happen again

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.