Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:52:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 320
Total: 320

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Gerald R. Ford, 38th and only unelected U.S. president, dead at 93  (Read 4308 times)

Offline DanielMark

Wed Dec 27, 2006

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Gerald R. Ford, who picked up the pieces of Richard Nixon's scandal-shattered White House as the 38th and only unelected president in America's history, has died, his wife, Betty, said Tuesday. He was 93.

"My family joins me in sharing the difficult news that Gerald Ford, our beloved husband, father, grandfather and great grandfather has passed away at 93 years of age," the former first lady said in a brief statement issued from her husband's office in Rancho Mirage. "His life was filled with love of God, his family and his country."

The statement did not say where Ford died or list a cause of death. Ford had battled pneumonia in January 2006 and underwent two heart treatments - including an angioplasty - in August at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.

He was the longest living president, followed by Ronald Reagan, who also died at 93. Ford had been living at his desert home in Rancho Mirage, Calif., about 210 kilometres east of Los Angeles...

Even to millions of Americans who had voted two years earlier for Richard Nixon, the transition to Ford's leadership was one of the most welcomed in the history of the democratic process - despite the fact that it occurred without an election.

Ford developed a solid knowlege of Canada during his boyhood in Michigan and his tenure as House representative there between 1964 and 1967. He did not visit Canada during his presidency, but he had a close relationship with former prime minister Pierre Trudeau.

Ford, angry Canada had been excluded from the Group of Seven industrialized countries, took it upon himself to invite Trudeau to a 1976 G7 meeting in Puerto Rico. Canada later became a full-fledged member of the organization now called the G8.

After the Watergate ordeal, Americans liked their new president - and first lady Betty, whose candour charmed the country.

They liked her for speaking openly about problems of young people, including her own daughter; they admired her for not hiding that she had a mastectomy - in fact, her example caused thousands of women to seek breast examinations.

And she remained one of the country's most admired women even after the Fords left the White House when she was hospitalized in 1978 and admitted to having become addicted to drugs and alcohol she took for painful arthritis and a pinched nerve in her neck. Four years later she founded the Betty Ford Center in Rancho Mirage, a substance abuse facility next to Eisenhower Medical Center.

Ford slowed down in recent years. He had been hospitalized in August 2000 when he suffered one or more small strokes while attending the Republican National Convention in Philadelphia.

(more ...)
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline skeebo1969

Re: Gerald R. Ford, 38th and only unelected U.S. president, dead at 93
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 08:11:56 am »

Ok that is two this week...  James Brown, Gerald Ford.  Who will be the third?   Maybe we can start some kind of death pool... Ahhh fuck don't mind me.. boy I'm a sick puppy!
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Gary85741

• Native Virginian living in Tucson AZ
    • Good guy, good heart
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 08:20:28 am »

I have always greatly admired President Ford.  His humility, grace, and kindness are qualities we would all do well to emulate.  He never had an unkind word to say about anyone.  How rare is that in our current political scenarios?
     Though I knew he was in failing health much of this year, I'm very saddened at his passing.

Gary
Poz since '89. 
Current regimen: Rescriptor, Emtriva, Kaletra, Invirase, Acyclovir, Lisinopril, Lipitor, Prilosec, Valium, Testim, Nandrolone, Loperamidr, Marinol.

Offline bear60

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 09:11:27 am »
God Bless gerald Ford.  He was a man of peace and a good president. 
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 09:21:17 am »
I always admired Gerald Ford for having the courage to pardon Nixon. Had he not done so, the U.S. would have been bogged down for years trying to figure out what to do with the only president to resign in disgrace.

He helped heal a fragmented nation. That is a tremendous legacy for anyone.

He also was a gracious, humble and compassionate man. I had the opportunity to shake hands with him once while he was visiting family (a daughter I think) here in New Mexico.

Rest in peace Gerald Ford. I hope Betty is doing OK.

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline bear60

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 05:54:50 pm »
OMG Mark,   is Betty still alive?  I thought she had passed away.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Biggums

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 06:50:22 pm »
President Ford was a good man.  He was humble which is unheard of these days.  I was in my teens when he was president but I remember that he was a practical man and never seemed like he was enamored with himself or with power.  Bless you President Ford and my prayers are with his family.
44 year old gay man .......just broke up with the only man I've ever really loved.

You can love completely without complete understanding.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 07:57:01 pm »
Hey Bear,

Yep, Betty is still alive. It was she who announced the death of her husband last night.

She is quite the lady. They seemed to match perfectly. My thoughts are with her.

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline carousel

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 08:15:46 pm »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 10:47:28 am by carousel »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 08:18:43 pm »
To reunite the nation and get back to other more important things, which it did.

Offline carousel

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 08:23:11 pm »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 10:14:23 am by carousel »

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 10:52:26 pm »
Honestly, I was too young to know anything about Ford when he was Prez. But I agree, a lot of the great ones are leaving us.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.