Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:58:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 171
Total: 171

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Very concerned- false positive?  (Read 48290 times)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Very concerned- false positive?
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2006, 05:05:20 am »
Prog,

The generation of test only matters in the first few weeks. ANY ELISA test is conclusive at the three month point. The only difference between a twelve week test and a thirteen week test is how you calculate a three month period. A year is 52 weeks, which is thirteen four week months. As you may have noticed, there are only twelve months in a year. To make three even quarters, one week of the thirteen month is added to each quarter, making a quarter thirteen weeks. In the UK and most of Europe, the three month period is considered to be twelve weeks, using the same exact tests as are used in the States. So, in short, it doesn't really matter if you test at twelve or thirteen weeks. Your result will be conclusive, no matter what generation test is used.

I'm fully expecting you to continue testing negative.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Victor

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2006, 11:30:24 am »
Thanks for your response Ann.

If the Dr. order blood work today, I will definitely be asking for a HIV test. If he doesn't, I will take it next Weds at the 13th week mark.

For what you are saying, any ELISA test will do. So, any rapid test should be sufficient right? If I do an Oraquick oral swab, can I take that as a conclusive result based on my history of negatives and one "positive" with those particular tests?

I will do whatever is advised and will not post again until I get my results.

Extremely thankful,

P.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2006, 11:41:59 am »
Prog,

Either oraquick tests (blood or oral) are just fine. They are very sensitive and will normally pick an infection up by the previously discussed six week mark. They are conclusive at the three month point.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Victor

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2006, 02:38:29 pm »
Hi guys,

Well, I got my test. Oraquick finger prick, It was NEGATIVE! 12 weeks and 3 days after my unprotected encounter. I guess per Ann's response, this is conclusive.

I have one more question to put this behind me. Yes, I know that I am going to sound a little paranoid, but there is no such thing as a dumb question when it comes down to HIV right?  ;)

Well, I was just wondering.. the device they use to prick your finger is something similar of the one they use to check for diabetes. My question is... Even though the lancet is replaced every time, you hit a little button on this device that pricks your finger and the lancet goes back in the device. Is infection possible if they tested someone who is HIV+ before you, even though they replace the lancet? I am only asking this because the lancet goes back INSIDE the device. I mean there are walls inside the device and I don't know if the lancet (used before) could have brought in infected blood and touch the new lancet that is placed. PLEASE don't call me paranoid. I  think it is a legit question and I am sure other people wonder about this.

I won't ask about this over and over, I only want a scientific educated response of why this could not be an issue.

I want to thank all of you guys for being there for me at the darkest moments of my life. I am sure everyone understands how scary that "positive" was. You guys are a group of fantastic people that are only doing this to help and educate people like me for nothing. Just out of the goodness of your heart.  God bless you all!

Special thanks to Ann. Her expertise in this field is amazing. Also, the patience that she shows responding to the same questions (at times) over and over again. She sure helped me in keeping my sanity when I was down and depressed over this.  I will always keep her in my thoughts and prayers. Same with you all.

Best of luck to you. I don't completely regret going through this since it educated me and showed me some kindness and concern from strangers. That was a great experience!

I also made a nice donation to the clinic. They were so nice. They deserve it. When I gave the money the woman said "Great, we can test a lot people with this".

Sincerely,

P.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 02:54:38 pm by progheadd »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2006, 02:55:36 pm »
Stop right now. You're negative and that is it. No more what ifs or buts. You're done here.

Offline Victor

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2006, 06:42:58 pm »
Is it possible to get a less hostile response and a brief explanation if possible from someone else?

Thanks,

P.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2006, 07:20:51 pm »
Prog,

Do you seriously believe that a testing method would be standard proceedure if it carried ANY chance of infecting another patient? You're allowing your anxieties to run away with you.

You really are hiv negative and you do not have to worry about being infected by the lancet used to test you. If you continue to worry about this scientifically unfounded worry, then it may be time to see a counselor to get to the bottom of it all.

You are hiv negative - now please protect that negative status by using condoms every time and using them correctly.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Victor

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2006, 07:47:22 pm »
Ok Ann. I will give it a rest. I understand what you are saying and of course it makes sense. I am just trying to clear my mind completely by placing a worse case scenario regarding this issue. and I understand that you guys don't like to deal with "what ifs".

As always, thanks for your feedback.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2006, 11:55:46 pm »
Everyone has answered your questions. Please don't PM me again.

Thanks,

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline Victor

« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2006, 01:12:09 pm »
Hi guys,

This is the articke that I read that made me feel uneasy about the lancing device. The used a new lancet on my test, but I don't know if the replaced the end cap.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/health/publichealth/cmoh/lancing.html

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2006, 01:28:12 pm »
What makes the difference? You have tested reliably negative. You are putting yourself beyond the scope of this forum. Seek the help of a mental health professional for your fears.

Offline Victor

« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2006, 02:01:50 pm »
The difference is that based on this article, the end cap should be replaced as well as the lancet for safety purposes. I know the lancet was replaced, but I don't know about the end cap. Does the end cap comes with the lancet itself or is it part of the device?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2006, 05:47:57 pm »
That again has nothing to do with you. YOU ARE NEGATIVE...

Offline Victor

« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2006, 07:02:21 pm »
Well, it is very hard not to worry when you keep on finding articles on the net that say it is not safe. Actually, ALL OF THEM said that the lancet and the endcap need to be replaced. I am pretty sure the endcap was not replaced during my test.  I understand what you guys are saying on how hard infection would be under those circumstances. However, scientifically, it makes sense that the device that holds the lancet could be a way of infection if infected blood was there and "touched" the new lancet. Would a positive person had to be tested 5-10 minutes before me for this to be a risk?

Sorry, but short answers without an explanation do not help.  :(
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 07:06:57 pm by Victor »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2006, 08:33:42 pm »
You can come up with all the what ifs and buts you want. It is not going to change the fact that you are HIV negative. Now if you want to worry yourself for a non issue go for it but just don't do it here.

Offline Victor

« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2006, 08:47:41 pm »
Everyone agrees with RapidRod?

Offline Victor

« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2006, 02:21:14 pm »
Ann,

Do you have any comments on the article I posted?

I called the testing site and they indeed do not replace the end cap. She said they clean it after every test though. I do know like I stated before that the lancet was new since I saw her placing a new one. Is there any risk at all on the end cap not being replaced? I am just asking because that article (and others) say that it should be replaced evey time. Why would they say so if there isn't a risk? I don't get that. Are those extra cautions articles?

I really need some advise to put this behind me. Short answers telling me I am crazy or I am negative and to move on, don't really help my worries.

Please advise.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2006, 03:00:01 pm »
Victor,

If the lancet was new, why on earth are you worrying about what happened to it after it was used? How on earth could it possibly infect you AFTER it was used?

You really need to let this go. You are hiv negative, period, end of story.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Victor

« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2006, 03:15:12 pm »
Hi Ann,

I might have not explained myself well. I meant to say that the end cap of the lancing device was not replaced BEFORE my test, not after. I am not worried about the lancet being reused since I know it was a new one. In that article that I posted it clearly states that " lancet and end cap should be replaced if used on multiple groups". Well, the lancet was new, but the end cap was not, I confirmed that already. I know that they use that lancing device with other people, but they replace the lancet of course. My question is, if there is not risk of infection (of anything, including Hepatitis B and C), why would the article say that it is important to replace it (end-cap) as well? Extra caution maybe? It is from a reputable site and I have found the same info in others. An important thing to mention is that the worker at the site told me that the lancet does not touch the inside (walls) of the device. That made me feel a little better. Hopefully it is true.

Maybe this can clarify my inquiry. I am desperately waiting for your answer and opinion if there is a risk on the situation listed above.

THANKS!!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 03:27:13 pm by Victor »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2006, 05:40:47 pm »
viktor,

Replacing the cap has nothing to do with you. It's likely to be a safety measure for the person who administers the test. If you have further questions about this, I suggest you contact the place where you were tested and ask them.

As far as we are concerned here, you are hiv negative and there is nothing more we can do for you here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Victor

« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2006, 07:55:00 pm »
Ann,

I did contact the place this morning. She stated that it was 100% safe and that the lancet does not touch the inside/wall of the lancing device. Since you seem to agree with that, I guess I'll try not to worry and go on with my life. There is something in the back of my head that makes me feel a little uneasy about it, but there is nothing I can do, just to try to push the thought out of my head. I guess since I found out I am negative, I feel really aprehensive about my result and want to protect it as much as I can. I don't know if that makes sense, but that's how I feel.
 I can see myself overreacting right now and it must sound risible to you guys that I am worried about getting infected while getting tested. I wouldn't have felt that way if I hadn't been looking for things on the internet that obviously got me worried.
I have someone in my life and that's who I care about the most. I wouldn't want to infect her and I was trying to make sure that everything went as safe as possible.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your feedback and patience with me.

Best to you all.

Sincerely,

Victor

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2006, 08:02:14 pm »
I have someone in my life and that's who I care about the most. I wouldn't want to infect her and I was trying to make sure that everything went as safe as possible.

Victor,

I want you to read the following words VERY carefully:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

You need to understand that you CANNOT go by how someone looks, how well you think you know them, what they tell you about their sexual health or history or what they THINK they know about their health. You need to use those condoms until you have tested together. Take my word for it. I was infected by someone I'd known for years - and for four years I would have sworn blind I was hiv negative - because I had no idea I was positive.

Use condoms unless you have BOTH tested together.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Victor

« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2006, 08:06:37 pm »
Ann,

I must have read your last post 5 times. I take your advise to heart. I will follow it.

My deepest appreciation to you and everyone else that helped me here.

Thank you.

-Victor

« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 08:08:22 pm by Victor »

Offline Victor

« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2006, 12:43:55 pm »
Hi guys,

Well, based on the advise that I was given at this site, I'd like to ask for clarification about one thing since I'd like to protect my negative status.
I have read endlessly here that going down on a woman is not a risk for HIV infection. However, if the female reaches orgasm while you are performing oral sex has never been addressed or I have not been able to find it on this site.
Well, that's my question, if you are performing oral sex on a female and she climaxes, is there a risk?
I have read Ann's comments about how the infectious fluids are located deep in the vagina. Now, if the female reaches orgasm, would that not "flush" all of the fluids down?

I'd appreciate a response specially from Ann since she is a female and I love her educated and scientific responses.

Thank you all!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2006, 12:55:15 pm »
Victor,

Whether or not a woman cums during cunnilingus makes no difference.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Victor

« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2006, 01:00:51 pm »
Thanks a lot Ann!

One last question that I forgot to ask please. Has there ever been a documented case of HIV transmission due to oral sex on a woman?

Thanks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2006, 01:27:22 pm »
Victor,

There have been none that I know of were cunnilingus was proven to be the cause of the infection. There has been one or two cases where it was a possibility, but never proven. One or two cases? Forget about it. Going down on a woman is not a risk for hiv infection.

Just make sure that you use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will continue to avoid hiv infection.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Victor

« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2006, 01:34:36 pm »
Great!

I am getting ready to have some fun.  ;)

Yes, I will definitely use condoms for penetration.

As always, thanks so much Ann.

-Victor

Offline Victor

« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2006, 10:38:40 pm »
UGH, I always forget something and I would like to ask the last question related to this subject.

If you had a cut, sore (in the mouth) or you ate something that was reallly hot and might have "burned" your mouth a little before performing oral sex on a woman, would that make a difference and is there is risk if those circumstances are present?

Thanks!

Offline beto_andolini

« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2006, 08:18:59 am »
No risk whatsoever!!!

Offline Victor

« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2006, 11:42:38 am »
Hi guys,

Well, after my questions were answered here, I went ahead and had sex with that woman. We both performed unprotected oral sex on each other, but vaginal sex was protected since I know that would have been the only risk of transmission. The condom did not break and I tested it by filling it up with water afterwards.

I have indicated before that I was diagnosed with HSV1 some years ago. Well, the encounter was last Thurs. On Mon or Tues I noticed a very small outbreak on my penis. Two small sores to be exact. They are in a location in which they would have been covered by the condom, even though I do not believe I had them at the time. I am almost positive that the outbreak occurred after the sexual episode. However, I am not 100% sure since it could have been there and I didn't notice until later. I have very mild outbreaks.

My question is this.. if the condom would have roll down during sex enough to expose the sores to vaginal secretations, could this be a risk of infection if the person was HIV positive?

Like I said, I do not believe that I had the outbreak at the time, but I am not 100% sure.

Can someone please give me some advise. Ann, I would appreciate if you follow up on this since you responded to my last question regarding this issue.

Thanks,

V.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2006, 11:58:57 am »
You had protected sex, period. End of subject. I believe it's time for you to seek some advice from a mental health consultant.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 12:04:07 pm by RapidRod »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2006, 12:03:07 pm »
Victor,

Wow, do you have any idea how self-centered you sound? When you brought up the herpes outbreak, I thought you were going to ask about the risk of giving your partner herpes.

Condoms don't generally roll around. If the outbreak was in an area normally covered by a condom, then it was covered.

If you're going to freak out every time you have sex, maybe you need to talk to a professional about that.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Victor

« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2006, 12:10:05 pm »
Ann,

I can see why my post would have sound self centered, but she has HSV1 as well. So I didn't think the Herpes transmission issue mattered. I was asking for risk of HIV transmission.
Maybe since I clarified this, you don't think I am so  self centered after all.  :-\

Apparently, the herpes HSV1 is more common that I thought. I tell my sex partners that I have it before I have sex with them and I am surprise how many other people have it as well.

So since there was no worries about the HSV1 infection from either party, I was just asking about MY risk of HIV transmission since I do not know her HIV status and I was the only one who had an outbreak afterwards. Like I said, I am not 100% sure if it was there or not when we had sex.

I hope I clarified this for you guys.

Sincerely,

V.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 12:11:47 pm by Victor »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2006, 12:14:23 pm »
Do you even know what HSV1 is? It's a cold sore of which over 3/4 of the population has.

Offline Victor

« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2006, 12:23:26 pm »
Wow, I will tell you I do not appreciate that superiority tone coming from you rapid rod. Obviously, you don't think I am an intelligent person since you don't treat me like one. Yes, I know HSV1 is herpes. I know that a cold sore is produced by the same virus. However, I also know that it is contagious and that it can be at the genital area. How do I know? I have it. I have also read that it increases HIV infection when sores are present. Are you going to ask me if I know what that is as well??

If someone is going to attack me because I ask a question, I'd rather not get a response from that particular individual.

I also want to clarify that I am not "freaking out" about this. The encounter happened over a week ago and I would not have asked this question if I hadn't found that outbeak right after. I do not freak out everytime I have sex. I wasn't even going to ask about this. I only thought that you were here to help and you wouldn't mind answering my question without being attacked and acussed of being crazy and ignorant.

Sorry, but I am a little frustrated and regret asking the question at all. I feel back in college when you would ask a question and the professor made you feel stupid afterwards.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2006, 12:31:23 pm »
After 85 posts you think you would have understood. You should by now have read the transmission lesson found in the Welcome thread, which you should have read before you ever began to post. Anyone that has that many worries about having sex definitely needs to seek help

Offline Victor

« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2006, 12:40:22 pm »
Well, 75-80 of my posts were about a different issue. I have read the transmission lesson several times. I am sorry, but I didn't see anything addressing the specific question that I had regarding herpes. If it is there, please point it out to me since I was unable to find it.

Like I said, I am not freaking out about having sex. I just want to be as safe as possible. That's all. I actually used to be careless about sex. So, I am not one of those people that used to worry about it at all. That's not good either right?

I have become extremely careful (obviously) since that scare that brought me here to begin with.

I actually thought I was HIV positive for sure for at least 30 minutes! I was TOLD that. Obviously they were wrong. I am sure everyone can understand that I have made some changes since then. Am I being a little paranoid about getting HIV now? Maybe. When you face the posibility of having it, like I did, will make you that way.

Well, I guess I am done asking questions. Thanks for the previous help. I appreciate it.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2006, 12:45:24 pm »
I'm sorry no it didn't not effect me in that way. I've had HIV for 22 years. I got infected when they didn't even have any idea what it was or what caused it. So no not everyone feels or acts the way you are doing.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.