Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:04:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 229
Total: 230

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: switching meds anyone got advice on kaletra?  (Read 4412 times)

Offline uk lady

switching meds anyone got advice on kaletra?
« on: March 06, 2008, 07:21:25 am »
hi all well next tues i am due to switch my meds from sustiva & truvada to kaletra & keeping the truvada. i am changing due to wanting to become pregnant. my doc wants me to also add azt but i am very wary of doing this as i have had slight fat loss & know that this drug can cause fat loss & really dont want to lose anymore. so i am going to ask if maybe i can add azt when i am pregnant as after all it could take a while to even fall pregnant. my question is does anyone have any advice on kaletra maybe side effects i need to watch out for or anything at all? my numbers are cd4 400 & my vl is undetectable thanks :)

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
Re: switching meds anyone got advice on kaletra?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 07:39:39 am »
Hi UK lady

I'm on Kaletra/Truvada.  There's a list of possible side effects/ drug interactions etc in the lessons

http://www.aidsmeds.com/archive/Kaletra_1559.shtml

Kaletra is notorious for diarrhea, but not everyone gets it or to the same degree.  When taken in the tablet form twice a day (rather than once per day as a liquid or capsule) the chance appears to be smallest (under a third).  Me I'm on the twice a day tablets.  When I first started, the diarrhea was problematic, especially during the first week, but it lessened over time and is now pretty much entirely controllable through diet.

You might want to time the switch for when you can take a few days off (near a bathroom as we US types would say, toilet to you Brits I guess)

Cheers

Asurbanipal
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline uk lady

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 11:12:25 am »
Thanks Assurbanipal thats great to know, all very nerve racking changing meds! i have bene on truvada & sustiva for about 2 years now so obv i am very worried but hey i got used to the meds in the first place so im sure il become used to these too x

Offline Roie

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 11:20:44 am »
I have been taking Truvada and Kaletra (twice a day) for one month and I now I dont feel any side effects. In the begining I would get slightly nauseous, and hypo attacks, where I had to eat something immediately.

Now I feel the same as I did before I was taking them. Although I do take them with a some food.
The food settles my stomach and I feel fine. I have not had diarea thank God.

I dont think you need to worry.

Cruise on down the High Way

"When people who are not ready jump in, things can go horribly wrong. For most of us, there is always time to take a deep breath, consider one's options and make a careful, sound decision based on clinical fact, not emotion."
MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 11:31:45 am »
Seriously, I would recommend obtaining a script for loperamide in case you quickly develop diarrhea from Kaletra.  I had to take 3 2mg capsules twice per day when I was on that crap.  I don't see how anyone handles these meds with no diarrhea issues.

Something must be seriously wrong in my body, but they've check me for everything.  And no, I don't eat tons of BK Whoppers like Timberly.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline uk lady

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 01:07:45 pm »
thanks philly &roie will take that advice on board, hopefully it will all go fine im more worried about maybe having to add azt if anyone has advice on weather i can wait til im pregnant to add it or do i have to take it now?

Offline Patrick

• Where the determination is, the way can be found.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 02:10:37 am »
Hi uk lady.  I'm on Truvada and Kaletra as well.  I'll echo what others have said - be ready to run to the bathroom when you get on it.  I've had diarreah off and on since I started taking the medicine, but when it gets bad I take some immodium and it clears up for a few days at least.  The frequency and severity of the diarreah seem to be less now that I've been on Kaletra for close to 4 months, but it still happens. 

No other side-effects as of now.  I'd also have your cholesterol and triglyceride levels checked after going on Kaletra.  Sometimes it can really cause those to skyrocket, and you need to watch out for that.

I have no idea why your doctor would recommend azt on top of truvada and kaletra, as truvada and kaletra taken together are a proven and effective combo.  Azt shouldn't normally need to be added to it.  However, your doctor may have good reason, so I'd bring the issue up with him/her again.  Azt is notorious for a lot of severe side-effects, so I'd be very sure to question your doctor well about that before starting it while hoping to become pregnant.  I cannot imagine azt being good for a developing fetus.  But I'm no doctor, so what the heck do I know.
Seroconversion - late October 07
11/14/07 - CD4 190   VL >750,000
11/14/07 - Started Truvada & Kaletra
12/5/07 - CD4 851     VL 710
2/19/08 - CD4 604     VL Undetectable
5/8/08 -   CD4 829     VL Undetectable
8/12/08 - CD4 915     VL 80 (blip)
11/11/08 - CD4 967    VL Undetectable

Offline fearless

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 05:37:02 am »
UK lady (and Patrick) I suggest you read the lesson on AZT here: http://www.aidsmeds.com/archive/Retrovir_1582.shtml.

AZT can reduce the chance of passing HIV to your baby to as low as 8%. The lesson seems to recommend that you take it during the second and third trimester's, and by IV drip during the birth. The baby then takes a syrup version of it for a while after birth. Discuss it with your doc but looks like you may be able to wait till the 2nd trimester before starting AZT.

I'm sure other more knowledgeable people will chime in here with all the details, or possibly ask in the women's forum.

As for Kaletra, I took it for 2 years. I had constant diarrhoea and fatigue. It did get my viral load under control though. Some people seem to do OK on it, but not me and not for quite a few others. I guess you just have to try it. Is there a particular reason for the Kaletra? I switched from Kaletra/Truvada to Prezista/Truvada and have not looked back.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 06:37:00 am »
I have been in the past on Kaletra+ Epivir & Viread,  Kaletra+ Norvir & Reyataz, and for about a year now on Kaletra & Truvada. I never had any issue's with my stomach or bowels. However my liver is acting up lately (and I've been feeling like $hit). Next week I'll hear if it's and old hepatitis that's causing this, or the current  combo.
I am (as is also my ID doc) very reluctant to contemplate changing meds, because I have total viral suppression and excellent CD count. *If it ain't broke don't fix it*

With all my past experience with meds since 1992, this one is the easyest I've ever had (5 pills all at once in the morning).

Goodluck and wish you'll have little to no issue's with this combo.

Offline uk lady

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 07:37:11 am »
thanks guys well its all so confusing really to me as truvada & sustiva are my first meds & i dont know anything of any others so when my doc said going on kaletra i just agreed as i have no experience of any others. i have no idea what my options are guess il have to really have a talk about this to him but am due in for changing on tues

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 08:17:38 am »
thanks guys well its all so confusing really to me as truvada & sustiva are my first meds & i dont know anything of any others so when my doc said going on kaletra i just agreed as i have no experience of any others. i have no idea what my options are guess il have to really have a talk about this to him but am due in for changing on tues

This is why I believe that doctors who prescribe HIV meds upon being heavily lobbied by pharmaceutical interests should be forced to take the drugs themselves for 90 days before being allowed to prescribe them.  If the doc is concerned about the possible CNS side effects of Sustiva impacting a fetus, Viramune+Truvada is a viable option -- same class of drug.
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline uk lady

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 09:01:53 am »
thanks redhotmuslbear my doc did mention viramune but he said its not for people with higher cd4 counts i think thats what he said! as risk of liver problems maybe

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.