Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:33:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 535
Total: 538

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bah.  (Read 4333 times)

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
Bah.
« on: September 05, 2006, 07:08:54 pm »
I just realized taking other people's feelings into consideration sucks. Not because I don't care about people, because I do, but because if you aren't 100 percent politically correct or you don't cater to other people's feelings then people 'lose all respect for you'.

Anyway, I laugh about a lot of weird things. I try to make jokes out of a lot of things that suck or else life is just going to SUCK. Typically if things aren't hysterically funny they're horribly sad. I remember reading a story about a kid that died by falling off a cliff because he was swinging on the cross the marked the death of someone else that had fallen off the cliff like a year before.

Now, it sucks because the kid died, but the situation makes it funny. You laugh because a) it's pretty unique b) if you don't you're gonna get upset cause someone died.

But it's not even just things like that. I'm tired of people getting worked up when you make comments about people's race or religion or ethnicity or whatever. I joke about being white and gay all the time. I tease my friends, and for the most part, they tease me back and it's lighthearted and fine. But for instance my friend Max (a girl) and I were talking to some of our friend and she jokingly made some comment referring to them as breeders or something (we were the only two gay kids in the group) and she is incredibly kind and funny and was obviously joking but everyone got all bent out of shape. "OH, NO. SEE IF WE CALLED YOU A FAGGOT OR A DYKE YOU'D GET UPSET."

No, I wouldn't. Neither would she. We don't go looking for stupid reasons to get upset. We have more mature things to do.

Bah. Sorry. I just had to rant. It pisses me off so much that everyone has to be so fucking serious all the time.

Offline Basquo

Re: Bah.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 07:59:28 pm »
I'll just say that sometime in your life you'll meet the perfect friend who can take it all and give t back without hurting you.  I have an office mate who is Native American, and doesn't care if we call him "Chief," or say something about "Indian Givers," and he's very gay-friendly, only going "LA-LA-LA-LA-LA" if I get too graphic about gay, um, goings-ons. I think it will will be someone who's experienced discrimination themselves. I love this guy. But not like that... ;D

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 05:22:43 am »
But for instance my friend Max (a girl) and I were talking to some of our friend and she jokingly made some comment referring to them as breeders or something (we were the only two gay kids in the group) and she is incredibly kind and funny and was obviously joking but everyone got all bent out of shape.

LOL Typical self-important reaction.

Life can be sometimes be a tragedy, but mostly it's a comedy. You cry a river, then build a bridge and get over it. (Just a cheesy little saying I heard once.)

I don’t condone laughing at people’s pain for sure, and bad things do happen to good people, but I have no problem laughing at the stupidity of the human race. And let’s face it, we can do some pretty stupid things sometimes.

There’s at least one of these stories in any given newscast.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 06:59:00 am »
Laughing helps me with my anxiety.  It helps me get through the day.  I, too, laugh at odd things, and enjoy laughing.  I can't stand people who constantly have a sour puss and never say good morning. 

For those people who never smile, or say good morning, or even hello... I walk right up them, look them in the eyes, smile and loudly say "GOOD MORNING!".  They have no choice but to reciprocate or tell me to shut the fuck up, LOL.

Don't let them get you down.  Just smile and move on.  Trust me, it will piss them off further that it didn't bother you one bit (even if it did,.... smile anyhow!).

I think high school can be so difficult at times.... kids who aren't in your shoes don't understand and can't comprehend.

Good luck, Jaser.
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 03:13:16 pm »
For those people who never smile, or say good morning, or even hello... I walk right up them, look them in the eyes, smile and loudly say "GOOD MORNING!".  They have no choice but to reciprocate or tell me to shut the fuck up, LOL.

I like your style, IzPoz. Subtle, yet effective. LOL  ;D
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 03:23:46 pm »
Jaser,

Maybe people would be less sensitive to our differences, if our society treated all of us the same, but they do not.  So what you have is this PC backlash where you can't even tell the truth about something, unless you do it in a sensitive and foolish manner.  But your example strikes me differently and I have to ask why you insist on labeling others?  Don't you see that by doing that, you are falling into the same trap.

Every hetero is not always a breeder and that word has negative connotations for many straight people, just like faggot or queer does for many gay people.  Just because the words don't bother you, does not mean they do not bother other people.  People don't always know what you are thinking and like you said, in these PC days, everybody is just way too uptight.

Maybe when start dealing with each other in an honest and respectful manner, this PC bullshit will burn itself out.

There is real truth in the idea of treating others as you would wish to be treated.  Hasn't failed me yet.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 11:50:08 pm »
Well said Killfoile...well said.

Offline IzPoz

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 06:54:12 pm »
Maybe I'm getting old and not "hip" to the new terminology... but please do explain "breeder"?

Honest question, lol... I feel like I'm missing something.  ;D
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 07:47:03 pm »
It's supposed to be like an insult to heteros. But I don't know ANYBODY that takes it seriously.  ::)
Any gay person that called someone that and MEANT IT as an insult would be an utter hypocrite.

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 10:47:10 pm »
Maybe I'm getting old and not "hip" to the new terminology... but please do explain "breeder"?

Honest question, lol... I feel like I'm missing something.  ;D

At the risk of being redundant "breeder" refers to the supposed likelihood of heterosexuals to breed, i.e., bear offspring.

But it's not terribly hip since it's been in use since the 1980s when I was a WYT, so don't feel that old.  Whatever that means...

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline IzPoz

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 11:34:18 pm »
LOL Boo and Jaser... thanks.  I thought it was something like that, but didn't want to guess.

Heh, in the 80's I wasn't thinking much about stuff like this.  I was still in high school and "in love".

:-* :-*

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.