Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:05:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 606
Total: 607

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 1 little bird wants to stop meds  (Read 6865 times)

Offline zach

1 little bird wants to stop meds
« on: January 13, 2015, 12:47:42 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaGUr6wzyT8

ok... a little bird needs some good information, and i may not be most qualified to provide the best answer

so this bird... fairly recently infected and diagnosed... has great lab numbers... but hates to take meds, various emotional obstacles and some side effects... bird also has some other health issues unrelated to hiv, but taxing on the body nevertheless. bird is more adherent to the meds for those conditions. (no stigma or side effects)

this bird keeps missing random doses of hiv meds, sometimes a couple days at a time... and sometimes even, a week or more.

obviously this little bird isn't quite emotionally prepared to make the full commitment to medication that adherence requires, bird understands this.

in order to avoid building resistance issues from the repeated missed doses... would it be better for the bird to cold stop taking meds? until such time as lab numbers demand action, and the bird is better prepared to cope with the rigorous schedule and pill load...

or, does bird need to wake up to the new reality? take the pills daily, come rain or shine, good or bad. and if side effects are bothering bird, to be open and honest with the doctor, in order to work on dialing in a new regimen of meds?

i thank you for your input

::) jah! one love, irie

Offline AusShep

Re: 1 little bird wants to stop meds
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 01:10:16 pm »
The dosing you're describing is what leads to resistance.  Someone else may be able to provide more insight on drug and class resistance with knowledge of the actual meds. 

There are also theories that low level resistance can build up with missed doses and eventually lead to treatment failure, even with good numbers and future good adhearance. 

Bite the bullet, get a pill organizer, and stick to all meds, not just the non-HIV ones.  There is no reason side effects need to be an issue with the options likely available.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 01:11:37 pm »
Hey Zach,

The little bird needs to talk with his doctor and decide on a course of action.  It's obvious he isn't taking his meds properly and if he can't get his act together, he would be better off stopping them and restarting at a later time.  Drug resistance is a hard task master and if he loses access to full classes of drugs, he could be in serious trouble in the future.

The little bird also needs some counseling, to understand why he can't accept that he is poz and that taking the meds is an affirmative action.  He may need to understand why he worries so much about what other people think about him.  He certainly needs to understand how to forgive himself for being poz.

Taking meds for the rest of your life can be daunting, but as with most things in life, perspective is everything.

He sees HIV as something undesirable, ergo he is undesirable and is open to scorn and rejection.  In some ways, he has become HIV, in his own mind and he cannot separate the virus from his self.

Help the little bird adjust to his status and forgive himself for whatever role he may have played in becoming poz and the little bird will stop beating himself up... over something that simply cannot be changed.  Once the little bird can do this, taking care of his HIV will become second nature to him, as he will remember that he matters and most important, that he wants to live.

Joe

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 03:32:45 pm »
Hey Zach, The little bird needs to talk with his doctor and decide on a course of action.

This.

No doctors here, I think. Even if there were, certainly not the bird's doctor.

Good suggestions all around. But.

But the basic rule for all HIV+ people is to see doc, be honest with doc. 

If a patient has a challenge or doubt following doc's treatment plan, then communicating honestly the doc's plan to friends and knowledgeable support people.  Who might help explain the whys and hows of following doc's plan.

I haven't thought much about the ethics of what friends and families can do when someone doesn't follow doctor's orders. It seems like a complicated overwhelming situation for the friends/family.  It the patient won't communicate honestly, or simply won't follow treatment, then maybe the only hope and help can come from someone really really really close to the patient who can sort fact from fiction, and who might also have a tie line to the treating doctor.  Maybe. Because finally others are useless when a patient is unwilling.

I think finally all a friend can say, ethically, is "please follow doctors orders".  And then let the chips fall where they may.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 03:38:05 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 03:48:11 pm »
I haven't known anyone to refuse treatment before a terminal stage. For any chronic or potentially lethal disease. 

I have experienced a few loved ones in terminal stage decide when enough is enough.

But what of a healthy person who won't take treatment to treat something treatable? I dunno.

I can maybe suggest a comparison to addiction but its not exactly the same. I know smokers and drug addicts who continue after doctors says to stop.  Some enjoyed the drugs or booze until well into the terminal stage. Others were miserable about continuing, but continued because... addiction.  This isn't really the same as not taking medicine for a chronic condition.

Seems like someone needs a will to live and if there is no will, then the doctor can do so much. One would need spiritual guidance or pyschological therapy to rebuild or recognise the will, I suppose. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 03:50:15 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline zach

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 03:58:30 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg97JiBn1kE

wanna thank all three of you... collectively you've echoed pretty much exactly what i've been saying

i've cut portions of each of your posts, things i think bear repeating again... in case the bird is reading  ::)

cut the crap bird, time to fight this... far better to fight the virus, that fight the disease...

we can't convince you to take your meds. you'll probably be ok for awhile, but the time will come, it is inevitable... sooner or later, you will have to fight

The dosing you're describing is what leads to resistance.... Bite the bullet, get a pill organizer, and stick to all meds, not just the non-HIV ones.

The little bird needs to talk with his doctor and decide on a course of action... and if he loses access to full classes of drugs, he could be in serious trouble in the future.

The little bird also needs some counseling... forgive himself for being poz.

he wants to live.

Because finally others are useless when a patient is unwilling.

Offline zach

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 07:01:47 pm »
to the question... please help me out here yall, I AM NOT A DOCTOR!!!

What is a whole class of meds?

Truvada NRTI, a nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor

Norvir PI, protease inhibitor

Prezista PI

No doctors here, I think.

Because finally others are useless when a patient is unwilling.

I think finally all a friend can say, ethically, is "please follow doctors orders".  And then let the chips fall where they may.

Time to cut it out bird, seriously, step up

All a friend can say is ain't it a shame... Jerry Garcia

Offline zach

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 07:23:36 pm »
fuck it you're done?! you are asking me questions i'm not qualified to answer, i asked you to pose them to the group, you asked me to do it... i did

pretty unfair of you to put me in this position, what sort of responsibility do you think i'll feel... guilt that maybe i could have handled this differently

still sore at you for the way you did me when you went on that cruise, make no mistake about that

your health, your choice... your consequences

Offline initforlife

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 08:59:55 am »
Wow what a rough night I had last night. to much thinking made my head hurt. I had to look deep inside me for the answers . Not an easy task. life is what you make it sure we are handed shitty cards at times but that doesn't mean give up walk away means play the game and do the best you can. People who judge would like nothing better then for you to go away and the truth be hidden so they don't have to deal.   I will live despite it all and do what ever it takes even taking my  meds. people died  before me so I could have meds and live how selfish of me not to take my pills. anyway with lots of help and friends I know I can do this.... here is my post on my facebook today ..........               I will live and not feel ashamed anymore! I will teach people who truly don't understand about certain illness's Shame on anyone who judges!..Talk behind my back do whatever makes you feel good about yourself's know the facts before you speak
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 09:11:36 am »
Wow ... what a turn around . We will support you every step of the way. If you want your privacy respected then you need not tell your business but when your secrets become more important than your health its time to reevaluate . I think its great that you are working towards letting the fear of people finding out you have HIV hold you back from a great life .
It does not mean you have to tell the world you have have HIV but it can mean the world wont end if you did .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline zach

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 11:19:38 am »
init, i'm not, and never was, campaigning for you to come out loud and proud as positive, to tell your friends and the world...

you can treat yourself, and still maintain your privacy. the side effects you point to as reason for not taking meds, there are alternatives to mitigate those effects. but you have to be willing and able to discuss with your ID doctor your issues.

i hope your vacation from meds won't impact your labs, i hope you can find some peace with the virus and the medicines that treat it

whether you choose to continue taking meds, or to stop until you've wrapped your head around it better. that is your decision, you're right, your numbers are good enough that you could (and maybe even should) take that time.

but the reckless skipping doses, constant fretting... you give this virus more power than it deserves.

sorry if my last post was harsh... i got called to account on it. to the member that did... you are right
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 11:22:15 am by zach »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 03:22:53 pm »
you can treat yourself, and still maintain your privacy.
^^this
taking meds has absolutely nothing to do with disclosure and you're making it worse conflating the two. This thread, and previous ones, were simply to say, "take your meds the way you're supposed to, or don't take them at all." the wishy-washy, on-the-boat off-the-boat is THE way resistance happens. So if you're going to take meds, taking them willy-nilly is NOT the way - and frequently hurts more than helps.

Now, if you ARE going to take meds, then you simply have to learn to be sneakier, more covert, etc (like simply just not making a big deal out of it) about your meds and when taking your meds. Don't give HIV some sort of super power. Take your pills. IF some rude questioning person would ask, simply 1)lie (name a disease. any disease that you aren't ashamed of - blood pressure, cholesterol etc) , 2) tell them off, 3) or say politely that its none of their business.

people hide all sorts of things in their life from the public and still carry on with the functions and duties that they need to do. Instead of screwing up the meds, find another way through whatever issue you're facing.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline initforlife

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 06:33:55 am »
LOL  Thank Y'all you confuse me so much.  kind of like damn it you damn if you don't. but anyway let me explain that was my way of saying fuck you hiv. . That I'm ready to fight with l meds and to live and stop feeling sorry for my self and to go on with life . it is was my of taking a strong stand. although I regret that my family was put in the middle and people are asking tons of questions. Should have warned my girls first. but what is done is done now. I feel better other then this migraine that I have had since the other night. . anyway I'm going to try to take one day at a time and continue to find my old self I know she is still there. and Zach love you always you know that! you have done more then most would do . Thank You!
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.