Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:15:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 460
Total: 460

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Founder of Health Initiatives for Youth UK dies aged 31  (Read 3235 times)

Offline gemini20

Founder of Health Initiatives for Youth UK dies aged 31
« on: April 09, 2010, 05:50:29 am »
Not sure how many people overseas will have heard of Clint Walters but he did a great deal of good work here in the UK following his diagnosis at the age of 17. Sadly he died suddenly of a heart attack at the age of 31.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/farewell-to-a-hero-of-the-fight-against-hiv-1938713.html

Although I never met him we both chose to take our diagnosis and use it to educate others about HIV. I'm sure he had a tremendous impact on all those he shared his story with. He will be sadly missed I'm sure.

RIP Clint.

Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Founder of Health Initiatives for Youth UK dies aged 31
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 06:11:32 am »
Hey Emma!

As it happens I had heard of Clint. Sorry to learn of his untimely demise.

Vale Clint.  :'(

MtD

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 10:08:13 am »
I have never heard of him, but my heart weaps for another HIV warrior, lost to the cause.  I will hope for many to replace him in his work.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Dsd09

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 01:10:41 pm »
It must be the same Clint on the NHS website:

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hiv/pages/introduction.aspx

I wonder if the heart attack was in any way related to the HIV or meds, or if it was just an unfortunate coincidence.

31 is a young age for a heart attack, especially for someone who is physically fit as was reported by the doctor.
07/2009 - Diagnosis
08/2009 - CD4 354 / VL 4700
09/2009 - CD4 286 / VL 3200
10/2009 - CD4 249 / VL n/a - Started Truvada / Sustiva
12/2009 - CD4 318 / VL <40
01/2010 - CD4 316 / VL <40 - Switched Atripla
04/2010 - CD4 370 / VL <40
12/2010 - CD4 342 / VL <40

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 02:47:43 pm »
After I was diagnosed and was doing extensive online research I came across a few videos of Clint and found him to be such an inspiration. His good works will live on.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Jody

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 09:04:29 pm »
Dear Emma and our other friends in England...Very disturbing to hear of this extraordinary young man's death.  I know you folks and all of us in the AIDS community will miss him dearly.

Jody :'(
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline moratorium79

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 11:57:40 pm »
That is horrible.  Such a young age to be struck down.  At the very least, his life consisted of doing his best to make a difference, which is commendable.
*these are not times for the weak of heart*

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 06:41:52 am »
In The Independant newspaper a friend was quoted saying his friends intended to set up a Charity in Cliff,s name will endeavour to keep you all posted

Sad sad loss
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 02:55:33 am »
It must be the same Clint on the NHS website:

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hiv/pages/introduction.aspx

I wonder if the heart attack was in any way related to the HIV or meds, or if it was just an unfortunate coincidence.

31 is a young age for a heart attack, especially for someone who is physically fit as was reported by the doctor.

This is very sad news.  It is very rare for someone so young to die of a heart attack, but we've probably all heard about at least one.  I'm not sure if there would be any way to know what caused it--HIV, HIV meds, or just something that would have happened regardless.  It just seems so unfair to get a virus like HIV and then be struck down with a heart attack.

EDIT:

Since writing the previous post, I've been thinking a lot about this special guy.  I know this post is about remembering his good work in the fight, but I just can't help thinking about someone so young dying like this.  I was thinking about what the article said about how he learned his status at age 17 after having breathing problems and being in the hospital.  It makes me wonder whether he had a more vicious strain or his body didn't respond to the virus as well.  At age 17, I would think he couldn't have been infected for more than a couple years at the most.  At 17, he was sick enough to go to the hospital.  However, maybe the breathing issues were something he would have gotten if negative and being poz didn't have anything to do with that.  

This just really upsets me that he was fighting the virus and killed by a heart attack at such a young age.

EDIT #2:

I just found the link to the video of Clint explaining his health situation--another example of me missing something valuable in a member's post.  It was nice to put a face with the name and hear his story.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 03:42:39 am by tednlou2 »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.