Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:29:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 313
Total: 316

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 16 down, 34 to go...  (Read 106854 times)

Offline mitch777

Re: 16 down, 34 to go...
« Reply #150 on: July 28, 2014, 04:34:04 pm »
I would bet that this will all be solved through the courts before the 2016 elections. What I'm not sure about is how will the Republicans handle it.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #151 on: July 28, 2014, 04:51:20 pm »
I would bet that this will all be solved through the courts before the 2016 elections. What I'm not sure about is how will the Republicans handle it.

I do not think moderate Republicans will say too much at all now that they know the tide has turned and its not anything good in it for them . Ted and Michelle will keep using hate speech because that is what their base wants to hear . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #152 on: July 28, 2014, 05:01:51 pm »
I do not think moderate Republicans will say too much at all now that they know the tide has turned and its not anything good in it for them . Ted and Michelle will keep using hate speech because that is what their base wants to hear .

Michelle won't be around beyond this year. At least not in office anyway. I think she will try to find a way to follow Sarah's lead. Lot's of hot air to remain in the public eye hoping to cash in. I will miss her brilliant insights if she decides to retire quietly. You DO know that Ebola is coming our way from those pesky South American children pouring into our borders. Michelle knows this to be true.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 05:04:09 pm by mitch777 »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #153 on: July 28, 2014, 08:26:20 pm »
link

Following today’s historic ruling from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper announced that he would stop defending the state’s marriage equality ban.

Today’s ruling applies to the entire Fourth Circuit, which includes North Carolina, Maryland, South Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia. There are currently two cases in North Carolina challenging the state's marriage ban.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #154 on: July 29, 2014, 12:42:32 am »
Ours is going before our federal appeals court next week.  That court handles KY, TN, MI, and OH. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #155 on: July 29, 2014, 08:48:26 am »
I don't want to say that these court issues don't matter, they do -- but on a practical level they will issues stays and couples will not be able to marry until the SC decides to take a case, and then of course it depends on the ruling.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #156 on: July 29, 2014, 10:38:16 am »
I don't want to say that these court issues don't matter, they do -- but on a practical level they will issues stays and couples will not be able to marry until the SC decides to take a case, and then of course it depends on the ruling.
I'm confused once again. The link you last provided has a map to click on. The ban of gay marriage has been challenged in every state, including South Carolina. I know they will be dragging their feet as long as possible in any case.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #157 on: July 29, 2014, 11:32:11 am »
What exactly are you confused about, dearie?

Offline mitch777

« Reply #158 on: July 30, 2014, 10:27:30 am »
What exactly are you confused about, dearie?

Nevermind. Just a moment of airhead syndrome or maybe a touch of the HAND. :P lol.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #159 on: July 30, 2014, 10:54:19 am »
This is will be playing out with our upcoming gubernatorial race in OH.  Kasich adamently disagrees with same sex marriage and he's up against someone who does (albeit currently the under-dog) 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #160 on: August 07, 2014, 01:01:59 am »
Oral arguments were held today in the 6th Circuit, which heard cases from KY, TN, OH, and MI.  It is my understanding 2 of the 3 judges are Bush appointments and one a Clinton.  I've read one of the Bush judges outraged republicans, when deciding in favor of President Obama's healthcare law. 

It was reported one Bush appointed judge (think a Bush judge) said, "The sky hasn't fallen, with the other pro-marriage rulings."  If anyone is interested, here is a link to the audio of each state's case before the court today.  Btw, we know one of the plaintiffs in the case.  He and my better half have being an Eagle Scout in common.  He had been very engaged in the Scout gay issues. 

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/_breaking_listen_here_audio_of_all_marriage_cases_in_6th_circuit_court_released

Correction:  The judge who said that was the Clinton appointee. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 01:05:16 am by tednlou2 »

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #161 on: August 07, 2014, 02:08:46 am »
I realized I didn't discuss how I thought the KY case went.  The lawyer for the state didn't seem to have her heart into it.  She came off like a bored student forced to read before the class.  Her whole argument was about the state has an interest in keeping marriage between heterosexuals for procreation, which she says boosts the economy.  She said gay couples can have children by surrogate or artificial insemination.  One judge kept interrupting, to try and ascertain how the state believes denying marriage to gay couples will help with procreation.  She (the judge) repeatedly said many heterosexual couples choose or unable to have kids.  She said there are many, who have children outside of marriage. 

Many have speculated whether our Dem governor was playing politics-- hiring outside counsel to appeal, while not really wanting to win.  The procreation argument had many talking, saying it was an absurd argument.  The lawyer for the defendants did a decent job.  She sounded nervous.  She seemed like she was more together.  I think she should have pointed out that if the state believes having children is good to "further the human race" and to boost the economy and the state acknowledges that gays can have children, then gays allowed to marry would serve the state's interest in having stable families. 

Anyway, very interesting to hear the arguments.  I haven't gotten to the other states yet. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #162 on: August 13, 2014, 06:49:19 pm »
Federal judges refuse to stay decision striking Va. same-sex marriage ban

A federal appeals court panel refused to stay its decision striking Virginia’s ban on same-sex marriage Wednesday, which means the unions could start next week absent further judicial action.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #163 on: August 13, 2014, 07:27:36 pm »
Good for those judges. 

We are still waiting for the decision from the 6th Circuit.  It could come at any time.  That republican appointed judge has been hard to read.  He made arguments that gay parents can be just as good or better.  He said it doesn't seem very difficult for a state to add gays to those allowed to marry.  But, he also said it seems this should be decided by the democratic process, even if attitudes change slowly. 

I guess all the child/procreation arguments dominated the hearings of KY, OH, MI, and TN, as those states used procreation as their key argument.  But, I kept thinking, "What does having kids have to do with having equal protection under our constitution?"  What if studies showed kids of gay parents did worse?  So what?  Although, we know kids do just as well and even better, according to a recent study.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #164 on: August 20, 2014, 04:08:20 pm »
SCOTUS has stepped in and blocked marriages in Virginia.  As I understand it, they have to hear the case, or their stay will expire and couples allowed to marry again.  It seems they plan to take up marriage equality next year. 

Justice Ginsburg recently said they would not duck this issue, like the court did civil rights.  She hinted to a case before the court by 2015--2016 at the latest. 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/08/20/gay-marriage-virginia-supreme-court/14282579/

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #165 on: September 03, 2014, 04:26:44 pm »
Federal judge rules Louisiana ban IS constitutional.  You can read his rationale here.  The ol' mothers marrying sons thing.  I was waiting for the humans marrying animals.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/louisiana-marriage-ban-is-constitutional-federal-judge-rules#2lywngd

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #166 on: September 03, 2014, 05:01:55 pm »
Federal judge rules Louisiana ban IS constitutional.  You can read his rationale here.  The ol' mothers marrying sons thing.  I was waiting for the humans marrying animals.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/louisiana-marriage-ban-is-constitutional-federal-judge-rules#2lywngd

Im truly happy my sate wasn't the first to rule this way ... sadly we will probably be number 2 though . What is it with southerners that they do not respect civil or individual rights of others . I got into a brief heated discussion last week with a guest in my home that was discussing how upset he was that someone had labeled him a racist ... when I declined to discuss it he got even madder and pressed me asking if I thought he was intolerant until I finally told him it was sad he has made the choice to walk through life willfully ignorant . I think thats whats so frustrating with all of these social issues, you can't debate with ignorant people who do not understand the constitution or try to use the bible or matters of faith as facts .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline buginme2

« Reply #167 on: September 03, 2014, 05:12:45 pm »
you can't debate with ignorant people who do not understand the constitution or try to use the bible or matters of faith as facts .

Word.  Even the opinion written by this judge is ignorant and intolerant.  Yet, I'm sure he has no idea.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #168 on: September 04, 2014, 04:44:19 pm »
7th Circuit Federal Appeals Court handed down its ruling on the Indiana and Wisconsin bans, within the last hour or so.  The 3 judge panel ruled unanimously that the bans are unconstitutional.  Another leap forward. 

They ruled within about 2 weeks of the oral arguments.  The 6th circuit, which handles KY, TN, OH, and MI heard oral arguments on August 6th.  I would expect a ruling soon. 

http://www.hrc.org/blog/entry/seventh-circuit-rules-bans-on-marriage-equality-unconstitutional

Offline buginme2

« Reply #169 on: September 10, 2014, 04:24:27 pm »
SCOTUS formally added gay marriage case to the agenda for their closed door conference September 29th.  First step in hearings

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #170 on: October 02, 2014, 01:39:11 pm »
Washington Post

The Supreme Court took no action Thursday on requests that it decide whether there is a constitutional right for same-sex couples to marry.

The court accepted 11 new cases but gave no indication about petitions from Virginia, Utah, Oklahoma, Indiana and Wisconsin, where federal appeals courts have struck down state bans on same-sex marriages. Both the winners and losers in those cases have asked the court to provide an answer to the question that would apply nationally.

There is still plenty of time for the court to act on the question and rule on the issue during the new term that begins on Monday and will end next June. Those who study the court and even the lawyers making the requests have said they expect it could be weeks or months before the justices decide whether to hear the issue, although most think it almost impossible for the court to pass up.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #171 on: October 06, 2014, 10:18:01 am »
Scotus turned away appeals from five states. 

Lower court rulings will stand in Indiana, Oklahoma, Utah, Virginia, and Wisconsin. 

This immediately ends delay on marriage in those states.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #172 on: October 06, 2014, 10:48:12 am »
per the Washington Post:

the decision will likely expand same-sex marriages to other states covered by the federal appeals courts that already have ruled that the bans are unconstitutional, including Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina. That would bring to 30 the number of states where gays can marry.

I find this whole move rather... uh, curious. Basically it seems they're refusing going forward to get dragged into the matter at all. Whatever appeals courts decide will stand and it will just drag out as a somewhat slow process, though as we've seen not that slow.

ps: it's hilarious that the two deepest red/conservative states in the country, Utah and Oklahoma, now have to legalize same sex marriages. Everyone else might as well give up at this point.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 10:57:57 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline buginme2

« Reply #173 on: October 06, 2014, 11:28:57 am »
I'm not sure how I feel about this.

On one hand, I believe all the appeals court rulings have been in favor of overturning gay marriage bans.  If all the rulings have been to overturn and there haven't been any rulings to uphold a ban, there's nothing for the supreme court to decide.  They can just kick it back and affirm the rulings. 

On the other hand it's a constitutional issue related to discrimination and human rights.  It's a pretty weak stance not to rule on it. 

Regardless.

Utah Oklahoma

Also north and south Carolina (not sure if that was on this ruling or not) but has there been a southern state to have gay marriage yet?  I want to see a marriage in Alabama or Mississippi. 

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #174 on: October 06, 2014, 12:42:35 pm »

ps: it's hilarious that the two deepest red/conservative states in the country, Utah and Oklahoma, now have to legalize same sex marriages. Everyone else might as well give up at this point.

I was shocked Utah had a huge pill problem-- death problem.  I watched a special about it, last night on CNN.  Gay marriage will be the least of their problems.  But, yeah, still hilarious.  The gays and not the pill problem. 

Offline buginme2

« Reply #175 on: October 06, 2014, 12:54:19 pm »
This pretty much is the final word.

The supreme court can't affirm a case now as they just did and then hear a similar case later and rule the opposite way. 

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #176 on: October 06, 2014, 01:03:47 pm »
While the Supreme Court may move slowly, there is precedent for their approach to Gay marriage.  The SC waited until 1967 to overturn bans on interracial marriage, after 34 states overturned such bans and the majority of Americans were still opposed to interracial marriage.

I don't see the Roberts court as being very progressive and I think they will simply wait this out, unless an Appellate court upholds a state ban on gay marriage.  As painful as this approach may be, I think it is a wise choice in the long run.  Let all the parties fight it out in court and when it's finally legal in all 50 states, nobody can say that it was decided by "activist judges", as dozens of cases will have already been decided.

The tide against gay marriage has turned decisively in favor and now, it's simply a matter of waiting... no matter how painful that wait may be for gay Americans seeking equal rights.

Joe

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #177 on: October 06, 2014, 01:23:31 pm »
No matter how you slice it this is clearly a shot across the bow to the other states that are waffling around with the issue . I think .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #178 on: October 06, 2014, 01:28:41 pm »
The 6th Circuit, which covers KY, OH, TN, and MI heard oral arguments on August 6th.  We are expecting their ruling any day.  They are taking their time, which may be a good thing.   

Offline buginme2

« Reply #179 on: October 06, 2014, 01:40:43 pm »
The 6th Circuit, which covers KY, OH, TN, and MI heard oral arguments on August 6th.  We are expecting their ruling any day.  They are taking their time, which may be a good thing.

This is the one court that could actually uphold a ban.  At least they are  the most likely.

However, with scotus affirming a previous ruling on the same topic it would be quite annoying.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #180 on: October 06, 2014, 02:50:12 pm »
Salt lake city clerk has already started issuing marriage licenses.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #181 on: October 06, 2014, 02:57:20 pm »
Now that the court "denied cert" in the cases from these five states, the decisions from the appeals courts will will stand and apply to every state covered by the circuit courts that rendered these decisions. So eventually it will be the law in Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Indiana, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina.

This will make for a total of 30 states plus DC. I'm not sure what that comes down to in terms of population numbers but if you compare it to the fact that only 11 European countries have legalized full same sex unions it's kind of amazing that the US is actually now further along than a place seen as more liberal on such issues.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #182 on: October 06, 2014, 05:15:12 pm »

This will make for a total of 30 states plus DC. I'm not sure what that comes down to in terms of population

I heard the numbers discussed on MNSBC today. 190 million.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #183 on: October 06, 2014, 06:45:26 pm »
While I am happy for myself and Sid -- legally married now in our home state -- I do wish that SCOTUS had taken a case.  Of course, I suppose the more time goes and the more people get married, the harder it will be to rule against same-sex marriage in any sweeping way. 

although, I never underestimate the ability for political minds to screw things up.

For now -- I will celebrate (and have an easier time filing taxes).

M

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #184 on: October 06, 2014, 06:47:59 pm »
It didn't take too long for Ted Cruz, to start flapping his jowls :

The Texas Republican called the decision "tragic and indefensible" and said he would introduce a constitutional amendment that would ensure states can ban gay marriage.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ted-cruz-slams-scotus-on-gay-marriage-tragic-and-indefensible/ar-BB7TQ08

Ray >:(
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #185 on: October 06, 2014, 06:52:21 pm »
While I am happy for myself and Sid -- legally married now in our home state -- I do wish that SCOTUS had taken a case.  Of course, I suppose the more time goes and the more people get married, the harder it will be to rule against same-sex marriage in any sweeping way. 

although, I never underestimate the ability for political minds to screw things up.

For now -- I will celebrate (and have an easier time filing taxes).

M

You are now going to have two anniversaries to celebrate, and I am so very happy for you both ! .  Edited to add ... I guess technically you guys will have 3 anniversaries because you guys were married and soul mates way before you guys legally married .
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 06:55:39 pm by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline buginme2

« Reply #186 on: October 06, 2014, 07:03:50 pm »
It didn't take too long for Ted Cruz, to start flapping his jowls :

The Texas Republican called the decision "tragic and indefensible" and said he would introduce a constitutional amendment that would ensure states can ban gay marriage.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ted-cruz-slams-scotus-on-gay-marriage-tragic-and-indefensible/ar-BB7TQ08

Ray >:(

I guess the senator from Texas doesn't know that a constitutional amendment has a snow balls chance in hell in getting passed.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #187 on: October 06, 2014, 09:23:10 pm »
You are now going to have two anniversaries to celebrate, and I am so very happy for you both ! .  Edited to add ... I guess technically you guys will have 3 anniversaries because you guys were married and soul mates way before you guys legally married .

Thanks Jeff -- I know I am a lucky man!!

I don't know that we will add a third anniversary -- but we do celebrate 2.....  8/2/90, when we met and 9/1/12, when we got married (in Massachusetts).

Sid is still at work now -- but I do have a bottle of champagne (alcohol-free) chilling.  We will toast today's news with the Tiffany flutes we used to toast our wedding.

Mike

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #188 on: October 07, 2014, 04:58:53 pm »
Breaking--- Appeals Court strikes down Idaho and Nevada bans, which brings it to 35 states!! 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #189 on: October 07, 2014, 06:10:24 pm »
It was 30 states yesterday so don't you mean 32 now?

Offline mitch777

« Reply #190 on: October 07, 2014, 06:37:02 pm »
Ahem...

Still standing by my prediction from almost a year ago on this thread.

"After Oregon and maybe a few more, my guess is that a case will be brought up to the Supreme Court to bring marriage equality to all. (in 2015 or the first half of 2016)"

I'm happy for those who find it beneficial for whatever reason to be married but I think in my case I will stay "single". All I see are reasons NOT to get married. Neither of us are religious and getting married would just cost us more financially. Anyone else feel this way?

ps- I think Miss P. has the #'s down here. I hope that the next decision will add 4 more states. 36. The rest in mostly deep red states. Who would have guessed?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 06:41:42 pm by mitch777 »

Offline buginme2

« Reply #191 on: October 07, 2014, 07:03:41 pm »
Ahem...

Still standing by my prediction from almost a year ago on this thread.

"After Oregon and maybe a few more, my guess is that a case will be brought up to the Supreme Court to bring marriage equality to all. (in 2015 or the first half of 2016)"

I'm happy for those who find it beneficial for whatever reason to be married but I think in my case I will stay "single". All I see are reasons NOT to get married. Neither of us are religious and getting married would just cost us more financially. Anyone else feel this way?

ps- I think Miss P. has the #'s down here. I hope that the next decision will add 4 more states. 36. The rest in mostly deep red states. Who would have guessed?

I think it's beneficial for some and not for others.

Neither myself nor my partner are religious.  We are both contently atheist.  Being married has been beneficial for us.  We saved quite a bit of money on our taxes, inheritance should be made easier if it comes to that, especially considering life insurance etc.  We are saving money on health insurance since before we were married the gov taxed me on the value of his health insurance and now since we are married they don't.

I like knowing that should either of us end up in the hospital there's no question about who he or I are.  We had "paperwork" before, now it's just easier.

I do worry about what if I lose my health insurance?  I don't qualify for Adap or any other public assistance now due to my income.  When you include his there's no way I would qualify for anything.  Should I require to be on any type of assistance I would need to get a divorce first , that's fucked up.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #192 on: October 07, 2014, 07:04:06 pm »
... and yet gay people most everywhere can still be fired from their jobs

SUCH PROGRESS

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #193 on: October 07, 2014, 08:09:11 pm »
It was 30 states yesterday so don't you mean 32 now?

Hmmmm, okay, this is my fault and ABC NEWS.  They've been getting their reporting wrong on the numbers.  I heard 35 and wrote that.  Yesterday they had Ohio, TN, and MI as states where marriage is already legal.  They also said KY would soon be legal.  Since our ruling hasn't come down, they have no way of knowing that.  And, OH, TN, and MI is in our case, so not legal there.  Things have gone downhill, since Louisville's Diane left. 

Offline buginme2

« Reply #194 on: October 07, 2014, 08:27:28 pm »
The ruling today covered Nevada and I think Idaho.  However that circuit also includes Arizona and Montana and someone else,I forget.  Nevada and Idaho had cases that were being ruled on.  The other states didn't have cases that far along.  I think the news media was including them for a total of 35. 

The court that covers Kentucky is actually the court  many believe will hold up a marriage ban since two of the judges are Bush appointees.  But who knows.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #195 on: October 07, 2014, 08:51:56 pm »
The ruling today covered Nevada and I think Idaho.  However that circuit also includes Arizona and Montana and someone else,I forget.  Nevada and Idaho had cases that were being ruled on.  The other states didn't have cases that far along.  I think the news media was including them for a total of 35. 

The court that covers Kentucky is actually the court  many believe will hold up a marriage ban since two of the judges are Bush appointees.  But who knows.

Ah, that explains things.  This has so moved so pleasantly fast, that it has been hard keeping up. 

Our 6th District needs 2 votes of 3.  The female judge is an obvious vote for marriage, after listening to the oral arguments.  She's the Clinton appointee.  There's this Bush appointee, who many think may surprise again.  He voted in favor of Obamacare in some case.  I am a little nervous, but I feel good about it.  These seem to come in 2's or 3's, so we may have our ruling this week. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #196 on: October 07, 2014, 09:20:43 pm »

Human Rights Campaign

Montana, Alaska and Arizona – all states that fall within the Ninth Circuit’s jurisdiction and have marriage bans in place – are not immediately effected by today’s ruling.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #197 on: October 07, 2014, 09:58:07 pm »

SUCH PROGRESS

Good point.  From my understanding, gays can marry in these states, but still legally be fired for putting their wedding photo up in their cubicle. 

Offline bocker3

« Reply #198 on: October 07, 2014, 10:12:49 pm »

SUCH PROGRESS

It IS progress -- and astounding progress at that.  Five years ago not many folks would have dreamed that we'd be where we are today.  The peace of mind that this gives to many couples is enormous - the ability to adopt a child, to know that inheritance rights are there, hospital visitation is guaranteed, never mind the right to make decisions for a spouse when needed, I could go on and on.  I get that marriage isn't for everyone, but it is for me and this progress is enormous and hugely impactful.

Not sure why folks must try to denigrate a win by pointing out an area where progress is still needed.

M

Offline zach

« Reply #199 on: October 07, 2014, 11:19:34 pm »
recently found i picture of myself about 20 years ago. i was wearing a ring

all i can say is congrats and good luck yall. being married is worth it

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.