Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:47:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 231
Total: 234

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What is NEW on your music player for these hot summer days and nights?  (Read 30249 times)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
What have you got on your music player this summer? What new?

Here's my list:

Vampire Weekend - Contra 2010 FLAC
The National - High Violet 2010 FLAC
Spoon - Transference 2010 FLAC
Shpongle - Ineffable Mysteries From Shpongleland FLAC
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street 2010 FLAC
Prince 20TEN - 2010 Promo-Daily Mirror FLAC
Pendulum - Immersion 2010 FLAC
Pantha Du Prince - Black Noise 2010 FLAC
Misteur Valaire - Golden Bombay 2010 FLAC
Massive Attack - Heligoland 2010 FLAC
MGMT - Congratulations 2010 FLAC
LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening 2010 FLAC
Macy Gray The Sellout 2010 FLAC
Gonjasufi A Sufi And A Killer 2010 FLAC
Gorillaz - Plastic Beach (Japan) 2010 FLAC
Groove Armada - Black Light 2010 FLAC
Goldfrapp - Head First 2010 FLAC
Florence + The Machine - Lungs (Deluxe Edition) 2010 FLAC
Ellen Allien - Watergate 05 2010 FLAC
Dan Deacon - Bromst 2010 FLAC

Mostly listening to 60's and 70's classic Rock, however.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline skeebo1969

Nothing "new" per say, been mainly listening to a lot of Layne Staley with Mad Season, along with Alice in Chains. 
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Skunk Anansie, Gossip, and a couple of top 40 hits

"shark in the water"
"Cooler than me"
some song that talks about big blue eyes

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Prince 20TEN - 2010 Promo-Daily Mirror FLAC

Macy Gray The Sellout 2010 FLAC

Goldfrapp - Head First 2010 FLAC
what? ??? no Scissor Sisters? No La Roux?
No Kylie? Andy Bell's Non-Stop?
Trent Reznor's How to Destroy Angels?

thanks for the heads up on Goldfrapp and Macy (saw her open for Bowie a few yrs back) ;)

I've been listening to 20Ten (Prince will always be god; followed by the Pet Shop Boys, and then NIN);
but quite frankly I'm groovin' on a bunch of old George Clinton and KMFDM
lounging out by the pool reading, during this scorching summer. ;D (I looove  :-* living back down South again)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
I recently downloaded:

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers "Mojo"
Scissor Sisters "Night Work"
Melissa Etheridge "Fearless Love"
La Roux

It usually takes me a couple of listens to fully digest an album and decide if I like it.

BTW, Alison Iraheta (from American Idol) has a surprisingly good album.

Offline alliance

• hmmmm. . .
Steve Miller Band has some new stuff out . . .
"The influence of each human being on others in this life is a kind of immortality."
10/10/12   CD4=378  %=32   VL=UD
5/10/12     CD4=426  %=32  VL=UD
11/15/11   CD4=296  %=29  VL=UD(20)
6/15/11     CD4=345  %=29  VL=UD(38)
3/15/11     CD4=317  %=31  VL=UD
12/1/10     CD4=315  %=28  VL=UD
8/11/10     CD4=250  %=25  VL=UD
6/10/10     CD4=380  %=24  VL=UD
3/4/10       CD4=340  %=22   VL=UD
1/11/10     CD4=312  %=22   VL =130
11/30/09   CD4=228  %=19  VL=1726
11/20/09    started atripla
10/15/09   CD4=281  %=18   VL=85,000

Offline elf

« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 05:42:28 am by elf »

Offline mecch

what? ??? no Scissor Sisters? No La Roux?
No Kylie? Andy Bell's Non-Stop?
Trent Reznor's How to Destroy Angels?

Scissor Sisters I didn't warm up to. I'll give it another listen.
La Roux has a new disc for 2010?  In fact, both La Roux and Jake Spears, have kinda eardrum splitting voices!

I though Kylie's cd wasnt released yet. She's one of those pop stars who I love the person more than the music.  It all depends on who produces, I guess.

Brandon Flowers' single is lovely (from The Killers) looking forward to the cd.

I agree on the funk!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

INNA:
EDWARD MAYA:
DARREN STYLES:
KESHA:
Benny Benassi, Kelis, Apl.de.Ap & Jean Baptiste

My aren't you a summer disco bunny! I'll put on some MOS mixes to do the house cleaning but prefer Global Underground if I want to actually listen....

Offline mecch

Melissa Etheridge "Fearless Love"

It usually takes me a couple of listens to fully digest an album and decide if I like it.

There's a cd title that must stick in the claw of the dumped love.

I agree with your rule on very modern rock / pop.  Though I can also hate something instantly if its in a genre I don't like and love something right away if I already love the star and the music.  Right now LCD Soundsystem can do no wrong. Same for Groove Armada.

Offline GSOgymrat

You are probably the 5th person who has recommended LCD Sounsystem, so I am downloading their new album as a type this. The only so song I know by them is "Daft Punk Is Playing at My House" which I tired of quickly.

Offline mecch

LCD Soundsystem reminds me of the polyrhythmic discs of Talking Heads. Its good stoner music and headphone music.

Offline peteb

Stevie Nicks

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
Scissor Sisters I didn't warm up to. I'll give it another listen.
oh, I didn't know we were supposed to just list the ones we liked. LOL
The Sisters doesn't strike me as anything too whoop-de-doo really.

Too be honest Prince's 20Ten only rates as "alright". I keep hoping he'll put out another purple rain or 1999 but instead we keep getting stuff like 3121 or lotusflower. While there are a couple decent hits and some serious Minneapolis-funk, nothing he's put out in the 00s has been like the stuff from the 80-90s. (Lately, I've been getting some bootleg Prince concerts which aren't too bad at all.) but maybe that's just me and the way it is. It seems all my favs grow, change and leave behind what I loved about them the best.

You are probably the 5th person who has recommended LCD Sounsystem,
same issue here. I hear about LCD alot, and though I think LCD is "alright", I'd rather get another Prodigy cd.

Brandon Flowers' single is lovely (from The Killers) looking forward to the cd.
I  just never have been able to get into the Killers either; though sooo many other people just won't shut up about them. LOL Even with the Pet Shop Boys mixing one of theirs, I just can't get into them.

Oh, I had to add Lady Antebellum to my list now. My brother is making me listen to them. ROFL Since I'm back in the South, I am once again exposed the yeehaw sounds  of Country. :D but he made up with a copy of the new Ed Kowalczyk (formerly of Live)(I don't know if it's any good yet; but I've always liked Ed's sound, so I've got high hopes).

However one of the nieces has forced the latest Miley on me. ::) but how bad can that be? My OhioNiece made me listen to My Chemical Romance and Panic at the Disco. :D

I agree with your rule on very modern rock / pop.
yeppers, it's always that way. I don't know how many times I've listened though a Nails or Pet Shop Boys disc the first time and thought WTF? But a few playthroughs later, and it's something I won't shut up about.  :D Who knows the reason, but the only discs I think I've always liked right out of the box have been KMFDM
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline GSOgymrat

Oh, I had to add Lady Antebellum to my list now.

That album is excellent.

Offline skeebo1969

Wow.. everyone got booted and I was the first one back in, sweeet.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline GNYC09

LaRoux
Tracey Thorne

and...Queen Harish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib4HxjTr2Cg

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...

Wow.. everyone got booted and I was the first one back in, sweeet.
My conspiracy theory as to why we all got booted is that somewhere in cyberworld a mass downloading of "Love is in the Air" occurred resulting in a system overload.

Just another one of my theories --

As for what is on my music player ---
Maxwell
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline edfu

"Harmonielehre" and "The Wound-Dresser" by John Adams.

"La Pasion segun San Marcos" by Osvaldo Golijov.   
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 01:24:04 am by edfu »
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline mecch

Oh by the way brothers, La Roux is old news  ;D 
Just released in the USA???

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
Oh by the way brothers, La Roux is old news  ;D 
Just released in the USA???
no; but acts like that don't get that much airplay in the US

unless an act like that gets their song tied in with a vid game that has a commercial playing nearly non-stop for the last couple of months - a la Bayonetta - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTV58Mud5F0

so then after everyone googles up the commercial to find that song, they find the vid for Bulletproof
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUsbpmQ9-mc

and La Roux finally gains some traction in the US ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
Audrey Assad-The House You're Building...cool listen.  :)

Fast listen:
House Masters - Dennis Ferrer
Markus Schulz - Do You Dream
Filo & Peri - Night Play
Kaskade - Dynasty
LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 03:16:15 pm by Merlin »
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline edfu

"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Cliff

Kelis
Kylie (surprisingly good)
Vampire Weekend
Closer- Kings of Leon (not new but just got into it)

Offline mecch

I like your selection, Chris.
I just got the Kylie. I don't like it on the stereo but its great on headphones, loud. Nice production.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

I like to listen to BetaLounge.  This site offers a huge collection of non mainstream music.  My favorite is a recording of King Britt done at the Lounge Club - Hamburg, Germany (recorded Oct 24, 1999).  That is great music to blast while cleaning the house.  Google it and take a listen sometime.

I just dont really care for lots of the new stuff that is coming out these days. 

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
The only track that matters this Summer:

Mark Ronson & The Business Intl - "Bang Bang Bang"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzE5dS6fnFk
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
The only track that matters this Summer:

Mark Ronson & The Business Intl - "Bang Bang Bang"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzE5dS6fnFk

Holy Crap Q-Tip is still alive.

In other music related news...

Skunk Anansie, "Because of you"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DMxptQeDEg&feature=PlayList&p=11163BDB2FA79551&playnext=1&index=20

Kelis, "Acapella"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8D9xCBcfzw

(What is it about a strong black girl rocking out that I find awe-inspiring)

Edit:  Miss Platinum "She Moved In"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m_PuBqVhNc
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 07:45:19 pm by Hellraiser »

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
I would tell you what's on my music player, but I'm afraid your too young to know what I'd be listening too
as my favorite music is about 30 to 40 yrs old, way before most of you were even born  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline mecch

Well I get bored by the new stuff on my player and always go eventually to 60's and 70's. Today it was Curtis Mayfield and yesterday Jimi Hendrix.
I made "pot butter" - it and the tunes keep my mind off the terror that is cleaning out my apartment.
Today I ate it with nuked oatmeal cookies, and berries and yogurt. Loved the Curtis Mayfield when it's delicious but some of it so down right cheesy I have to skip some tunes that remind me of Saturday Night Live versions of bad soul.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
Holy Crap Q-Tip is still alive.

Yup, and sounding as good as evah.  Btw, that girl in the video is Amanda Warner from a band called MNDR; they are pretty dope.

Skunk Anansie, "Because of you"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DMxptQeDEg&feature=PlayList&p=11163BDB2FA79551&playnext=1&index=20

I had no idea that Skin had gone back to the Skunk.  Interesting.

Kelis, "Acapella"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8D9xCBcfzw

(What is it about a strong black girl rocking out that I find awe-inspiring)

I love me some Kelis.  Her new single is quite good also, especially the Burns remix.

4th of July (Fireworks)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9_JWxzXq0I
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
I put Rick Ross- Teflon Don on...Added some Rosco Dash and Yung Berg...Then added some older stuff by Usher and Ray J but then I had to go old skool and add some Marvin Gaye-Just like Music..A lil bit of Remy Ma, Lady Saw, Too Short, Chuckii Booker, Musiq Soulchild, India Arie and Paul Wall. I try to be versitile in my music. I even have some 80's stuff like Thomas Dolby, The Police, and Billy Idol. I am slowly building momentum, I only have over 200 songs on my Ipod so I know I have a lot of catching up to do with you guys.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline mecch

Billy Idol put on a zesty great show in Montreux Jazz this year.  Nobody expected that, and we all enjoyed it!

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
Billy Idol put on a zesty great show in Montreux Jazz this year.  Nobody expected that, and we all enjoyed it!

Man, I had the biggest crush on him back in the day along with George Michael and Prince. Tho I am still crushing on Prince til this day even though he took all his music off the internet and said the internet is dead.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline mecch

Kylie Minogue's "All the Lovers" is on the radio all the time here, now, and I can't get it out of my head.... ;D

Offline Cliff

That song grew on me.  I thought it was  boring as hell at first, but then grew to like it (not love it).  Love the other songs.  I hope she releases the 2nd single soon, cos I'm tired of it!

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
I don't really care much for newer music. It all sounds the same to me, and I cannot for the life of me tell any of the singers, or their songs for that matter, apart.

That being said, I did get a new (to me) CD this week, Jerry Jeff Walker/Live At Gruene Hall. An excellent singer/songwriter/storyteller. Always has been a favorite of mine...

CaptCarl
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Kylie Minogue's "All the Lovers" is on the radio all the time here, now, and I can't get it out of my head.... ;D

That is a terrible joke

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
since I could get Miley Cyrus' "Robot" outta my head ::), and since I just watched through all the "True Blood" episodes back-to-back over 3 or 4 days, now I'm listening through both "True Blood" soundtracks.

With those two soundtracks, Lady Antebellum, and the Johnny Cash that's always been on my player, I'm very surprised at the country flavor I've got going on this Summer.

as far as Kylie, I especially liked "Cupid Boy" and "Everything is Beautiful". I'd be afraid to go to a concert of her's though since "put your hands up" had to have been written just for that kind of event. :P
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline mecch

It bugged me for days what Kylie's album and voice and production all adds up to, I'd heard it before.
Finally! Sounds like t.A.T.u.

Offline mecch

You Wanted a Hit - LCD Soundsytem

You wanted a hit
But maybe we don't do hits
I try and try
It ends up feeling kind of wrong

You wanted it tough
But is it ever tough enough?
No, nothing's ever tough enough
Until we hit the road

Yeah, you wanted it lush
But honestly, you must hush
No, honestly, you know too much
So leave us, leave us on our own

And so you wanted a hit
Well this is how we do hits
You wanted a hit
But that's not what we do

You wanted it real
But can you tell me what's real?
There's lights and sounds and stories
Music's just a part

Yeah, you wanted the truth
And then you said you want proof
I guess you're used to liars
Saying what they want

And we won't be your babies anymore
We won't be your babies anymore
We won't be your babies 'til you take us home

No, we won't be your babies anymore
We can't be your babies 'til you take us home

Yeah you wanted it smart
But honestly, I'm not smart
No, honestly, we're never smart
We fake it, fake it all the time

Yeah you wanted the time
But maybe I can't do time
Oh we both know that's an awful line
But it doesn't make it wrong

You wanted it right
No out of mine and out of sight
No dirty bus and early flight
No seven days and forty nights

Yeah you wanted a hit
But tell me, where's the poignant?
You wanted a hit
But that's not what we do

Offline mecch

Haven't heard anything so hetero delicious since the Talking Heads.

Offline Ravhyn

• Nerd Alert
Re: What is NEW on your music player for these hot summer days and nights?
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2010, 11:56:04 pm »
StepUp3d Soundtrack I can't get enough of it. 

April 2006 - Sero-Conversion
December 2009 - Diagnosed
Jan 2010- VL 3,800 CD4 152
Summer 2010 VL UD, CD4 over 200
September 2010 VL UD, CD4 324
March 2011 VL UD, CD4 477
May 2011 VL UD, 338

Offline mecch

« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2010, 09:11:25 pm »
August tradritonally gets thicker, darker, more psychedelic.  Having my Santeria cocktail next Friday.  Music moves from bright sunflowery to nighttime grooves.
Enjoying a few cuts on the Goldfrapp, Macy Gay, Sia, Audio Bullys, Gorillaz, Misteur Voltaire. Gonjasufi.
Love Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid!

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2010, 09:41:26 pm »
Gorillaz
small world. :D I was just listening to Plastic Beach this afternoon, while I was downloading some Violent Femmes.

From the True Blood thread, I learned that PJ Harvey sang on Gano's solo disc ("Hitting the Ground"), so it seemed like a good time to listen through the Violent Femmes stuff again and to fill in the holes in my library. Found out the Femmes covered Gnarls Barkley's “Crazy” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD-SMLTfuVw) after that duo covered the Femmes' song "Gone Daddy Gone" on their St. Elsewhere disc. They had a creepy flea and tick video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZbeiXZVWbM&feature=av2e)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2010, 01:11:54 am »
Due to feeling heartbroken and love sick I added some slow music from Musiq Soulchild, Brian McKnight, Dru Hill, Rome,Donell Jones, DeBarge, Switch and Alexander 'O Neal. I didn't notice too much R&B or Rap on people's list.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2010, 10:31:28 am »
Nobody has mentioned The Irrepressibles so this thread = /fail!... so very Kate Bush-ish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_2AgaZJWro
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:37:43 am by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2010, 10:36:31 am »
I'm old school with my music ... Stevie ray vaughn is some where to be found in every CD changer I own . Been getting back into Bonnie Raitt in a big way too .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.