Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:25:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 227
Total: 229

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Pets?  (Read 18163 times)

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
Pets?
« on: June 14, 2013, 03:32:12 am »
Maybe we talked about this already, but who here has a dog or weasel or some other pet-type creature?

Cats don't count because, as I understand it, when you have a cat, you're their pet.

This post is actually just a (not so) secret way:
  • To find outwhether the drink-stealing dog in tednlou2's photo is his dog or if it's a stock photo.
  • To find out what that weasel-looking thing in jkinatl2's photo is. I'm guessing a ferret or some kind of miniature polar bear if not a weasel. Don't get me wrong, it's a cute weasel. I'm not a Rudy Giuliani or anything like that. I'm just curious about that weasel.
  • To say that my ultimate goal in life is to adopt a dog of my own, but dogs are a lot of responsibility...

That is all.
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Pets?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 08:32:09 am »
The dog in my profile pic allows me to sleep in the big bed in the bedroom although she has four other pet beds throughout the house .

I got her as pup in May 1999 . Its all about her , I lived alone and isolated for a long time and she and I bonded really strongly during that time so I ended up spoiling her .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 08:37:32 am »
I decided not to have pets any longer when I moved away from NYC (where I had two cats though one died right before I left). It's just too expensive when you're on disability plus I would find it restrictive when I need to travel. So then I decided to raise rare hybrid hibiscus plants but then they eventually became infected with some odd mealy bug drama that I gave up. I now focus on cooking and masturbation.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 08:39:31 am »
I decided not to have pets any longer when I moved away from NYC (where I had two cats though one died right before I left). It's just too expensive when you're on disability plus I would find it restrictive when I need to travel. So then I decided to raise rare hybrid hibiscus plants but then they eventually became infected with some odd mealy bug drama that I gave up. I now focus on cooking and masturbation.

You will eventually burn your penis if you keep mixing hobbies .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 09:39:57 am »

• To find out what that weasel-looking thing in jkinatl2's photo is. I'm guessing a ferret or some kind of miniature polar bear if not a weasel. Don't get me wrong, it's a cute weasel. I'm not a Rudy Giuliani or anything like that. I'm just curious about that weasel.

It's one of those Brazilian Poodle/weasels.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline darryaz

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 09:45:08 am »
I always had a wiener dog (since I was about 2 years old).  Since my last one died of old age in 2010 I'm enjoying the break from responsibility. 

There are a couple of puppy breeders' websites I check out occasionally.  I'm sure at some point I'll break down and get another dog.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:47:40 am by darryaz »

Offline Habersham

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 09:47:31 am »
Lee - I would love have a dog right now but I don't feel my living situation is stable enough to do so. Although I think my landlord would love me to have one (she has offered her sons as pet sitters) what of my next landlord? It's much easier to have a pet if you are a homeowner and don't have the worry of having to find a place that accepts them. When you return to work and your income rises maybe then?

I have had a Golden Retriever and Black Lab/Chow Mix in the past but owned them with my partners. My ex spent $10K on surgery for the Black Lab/Chow's knees. This was much more than he would have spent on My knees lol.

It seems you want to be able to give your pets a forever home and I totally understand.

Cheers!
C
Because I Can

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 09:53:50 am »
I have a cat. Pedro. He's a good cat. We drink together every afternoon and continue until one of us starts crying and passes out. Have I mentioned Im single?

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 10:22:44 am »
My wife has a dog, who also required knee surgery (he tore his ACL), which was a $3,000 bill!!  I suspect that Willy has spent more than that on Tequila though, and I won't have the medical bills for the liver problems.  Don't most cats just cry and pass out....without Tequila?

03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline wolfter

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 11:03:48 am »
Pets are a wonderful addition to any home.  I've said many times that my little gal is what brought me through my last major illness.  My greatest fear about dying was my overwhelming concern for her.

She was only supposed to be a foster puppy, but I still haven't found an adequate home for her after 12 years. ;D  Which is why I also had to stop working with the rescue group.  I'd have an entire hoard by now.

She has had major medical issues which required me taking out a personal bank loan to finance her treatment, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.  I love my little gal much more than I do most people.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Habersham

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 11:06:58 am »
Perhaps Oksikoko doesn't drink Tequila?  If so, and his dog jumped off a wall like this it would be ok?  Maybe he could have pet insurance?

Because I Can

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 11:08:25 am »
I have a cat. Pedro. He's a good cat. We drink together every afternoon and continue until one of us starts crying and passes out. Have I mentioned Im single?

Awwww... Tequila Kitteh is adorable. That's gon' be my new Facebook avvy.

I have a dog and two indoor (female) cats --and a couple of outdoor (male) cats that I've been feeding and playing with for almost two years (so they're pretty much part of the familia).  Luckily my relatives take care of them and send me pictars whenever I'm out of town.

You will eventually burn your penis if you keep mixing hobbies .

::giggles::

I guess she truly enjoys playing with her pet rooster.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 11:24:25 am »
I am not walking up and down three fucking flights of stairs with my reconstructed cow hooves (which will soon have a third surgery this time with metal pieces!) to let some droopy, smelly, flea-bit dog out to take a shit.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 11:25:58 am »
I am not walking up and down three fucking flights of stairs with my reconstructed cow hooves (which will soon have a third surgery this time with metal pieces!) to let some droopy, smelly, flea-bit dog out to take a shit.

I wouldn't trust you with a pet rock , bet you would try and smoke it .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 11:41:53 am »

I cannot picture you as a dog person.  Get yourself an indoor (rescue) kitty and one of them self-cleaning litter boxes.  For all we know your cat would be very refined as you would teach them the art of eating cat food with ramps. 
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 12:19:13 pm »
Also, I wear a lot of black clothing and pet hair is just so troubling. But if I'm going to do kitties I want to be like Grace C.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 12:26:24 pm »
My dog loves brushing against black pants , she goes right for a side swipe walk by every chance she get . I have sticky lent rollers strategically placed by all the exits of my home .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 12:33:43 pm »
My dog loves brushing against black pants , she goes right for a side swipe walk by every chance she get . I have sticky lent rollers strategically placed by all the exits of my home .   

Dogs love brushing up against almost anything and colour has no allure for dogs, as they are colour-blind.   ;D

Joe

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 12:38:31 pm »
To find out what that weasel-looking thing in jkinatl2's photo is. I'm guessing a ferret or some kind of miniature polar bear if not a weasel. Don't get me wrong, it's a cute weasel.
It's one of those Brazilian Poodle/weasels.

Don't be telling lies, Lumpy. It's a miniature polar bear.

I wouldn't trust you with a pet rock , bet you would try and smoke it .

Now don't be silly. He'd crush it up and snort it.

I'm owned by three cats - not the one in my avvy though.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 12:39:10 pm »
Actually it would be very chic for me to have a Mexican hairless Xoloitzcuintle dog -- they would match my accessories. I could name him Pito 2.0 after my dead cat. That's slang and like calling your pet "Penis" in Spanish.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 12:45:35 pm »
Actually it would be very chic for me to have a Mexican hairless Xoloitzcuintle dog -- they would match my accessories. I could name him Pito 2.0 after my dead cat. That's slang and like calling your pet "Penis" in Spanish.

I can see it now , you ask MISS P what the horrible smell in her lair is and she will say I forgot to feed my fashion accessory . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 12:53:15 pm »
My family always had cocker spaniels growing up so yes, indeed I know how to take care of a dog. Which is why I don't have one. I also used to care for neighbors' dogs after school until they came home -- a massive doberman and golden retriever. Walking a doberman at the age of 11 isn't an easy task.

If I had a partner and lived in a house with a yard then I would have a dog. Or two.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 12:58:55 pm »

The xōlōitzcuintli, when properly groomed, can be quite cute (and definitely a classy accessory).  It also serves a practical purpose: as I'm sure that you know, since you are well-versed in Latino history, the xōlō serves as your guide in Mictlan, aka the netherworld.  And we all know quite well that you're gonna have a lengthy meeting with  Mictlantecuhtli when you get there, so having the pup with you may be useful.

Re: "pito"... That was clever.  Most people probably thought that you meant Pepito (or that you had named your cat "whistle").

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2013, 01:00:46 pm »

If I had a partner and lived in a house with a yard then I would have a dog. Or two.

It's not very nice calling any prospective partner a dog, and quite presumptuous to assume he'd be ok with a three-way relationship.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Calison

• Struggling for 30 + years Ready for Next Big Leap!
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2013, 01:55:23 pm »
I am a pet owner responsible for a 10 pound male dog. He is a great joy. He is also  a lot of responsibility and expense on my limited income. However the benefits of his adoration of me is priceless.
 It is difficult when in the middle of the night he wakes me to go outside to do his "business" or when I am ill and he needs a walk. It is always a concern when travelling away from Home whether he can travel with me. Because he is small,10 pounds, it is somewhat easy and he is crate trained to travel but not all venues allow pets.
 It is about 100 dollars now to Fly a pet on a commercial airline each direction. I am of the mind that when My beloved pet passes away I will volunteer at a pet shelter or begin a pet sitting service in my home and earn a bit of money while enjoying the presence of someone else's beast and not take ownership of another dog.
 The cost of Vet Care and Quality Pet Food has risen like everything else.I love my  dog and I love other peoples dogs as well. I hope that I can enjoy Dogs for the rest of my life even if I do not Own one. Cats are Dandy too!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. ~ Oscar Wilde

Offline buginme2

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2013, 05:18:40 pm »
As I type this my sweet adorable best friend is sleeping next to me on the couch, snoring (there is nothing cuter that a dog that snores) and the house guard (my kitteh) is perched of the coffee table at my feet standing guard.

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2013, 05:45:19 pm »
Perhaps Oksikoko doesn't drink Tequila?  If so, and his dog jumped off a wall like this it would be ok?  Maybe he could have pet insurance?

Oksikoko doesn't drink. But I would drink with that cat.

I had a puppy myself once and, like some of you, we spent more on him when he was sick than we spent on ourselves. Poor puppy. :-/

Well, enjoy yours, everyone, even the cats and weasels. I'll get one someday (a dog, that is). Unfortunately, there's no end to homeless pooches. They have some kind of therapy thing here with dogs on Thursdays, but I keep missing it. I don't know if it's people therapy for the dogs or dog therapy for the people.
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 05:48:15 pm »
Right. I meant to say: I thought that picture darryaz posted was the saddest little thing ever until I saw this.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 07:51:39 pm »
Here's my kitteh Matty (named after our own Matilda the Damned), hiding in my backpack because he wanted to go hiking with me :) Isn't hims cute?

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2013, 08:57:57 pm »
OK -- a bit blurry, as I had to be fast before he jumped back into the closet -- but here is Stanford!  He is slowly coming around -- when he is "hidden" in the closet, I can scratch his head and neck -- plus he'll eat treats out of my hand there too.  PROGRESS.......

Hey willy -- li'l Matty is a cutie.......

Mike

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2013, 09:47:42 pm »

Mike

Oh what a lovely kitty. He's a plump lil thing aint he? He looks like Morris. Does anyone remember Morris the Cat?
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2013, 10:20:29 pm »
Currently I am owned by Kitty (yes that is his name to), and black lab Poncho. 
Although that is only until next weekend.

When I get my own place in September I will reclaim ex-boyfriends cat and dog and they will once again have to joy of owning me.

I also spoil my neighbors 2 dogs, and regularly send stuff to my moms dog in Florida.  Her cat gets nothing from me as Cali is the cat from hell.

Michelle 8)
How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2013, 06:27:31 am »
He looks like Morris. Does anyone remember Morris the Cat?

Of course, who could forget Morris?

I have a rescue kitty.  She's my companion and friend and listens to me when I need to unload.  When I talk to her while looking at her, she always meows back when I finish a sentence.  Like she's giving sage advice. 

I would not, however, own an animal I could not afford to take proper care of.  In the apartment house I live in, the lady in the middle has a dog she's always struggling to take care of.  A couple weeks ago she was telling me how she was feeding the dog dry cereal because she could not afford dog food.  However, she managed to get a satellite dish hooked up.  I think that's horrible. 

The lady finally did manage to make it to a local food bank that gives away dog food.  I don't own a dog because of 1) living in a small apartment with no good yard for the dog to run in; 2) not being able to afford a dog.  A cat is much less cost, and I have a wonderful friend who watches her when I can't be home for a night.  If I ever move into a home and can afford one, I would love to get a boxer.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline bocker3

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2013, 07:07:52 am »
Oh what a lovely kitty. He's a plump lil thing aint he? He looks like Morris. Does anyone remember Morris the Cat?

Shhhhhhh -- we don't discuss the w-e-i-g-h-t thing around him yet.  Although, once he is more comfortable with his new home, he is switching to a weight-control food.

He was funny yesterday -- I could see him in the closet as I put food in his bowl.  He SOOOOO wanted to come running out, but his unease is still stronger than his desire to eat like a certain, unnamed Texan.   ;D

M

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2013, 09:18:47 am »
Your a good papa Mike . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2013, 10:41:25 am »
Shhhhhhh -- we don't discuss the w-e-i-g-h-t thing around him yet.  Although, once he is more comfortable with his new home, he is switching to a weight-control food.

My kitty is overweight also, but that's been since I've had her.   Of course this is due to many treats, and not watching her food intake.  I tried weight control Iams but she wouldn't eat it.  I've since bought weight control Purina One and she likes that fairly well.  Good luck with that, cats are picky eaters.  In fact, someone told me a long time ago that if a cat won't eat it, neither should a human.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline bocker3

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2013, 02:03:21 pm »
Your a good papa Mike .

Your so sweet!!  Although, it is MUCH easier being a grandpa than papa!!

My kitty is overweight also, but that's been since I've had her.   Of course this is due to many treats, and not watching her food intake.  I tried weight control Iams but she wouldn't eat it.  I've since bought weight control Purina One and she likes that fairly well.  Good luck with that, cats are picky eaters.  In fact, someone told me a long time ago that if a cat won't eat it, neither should a human.

Yes -- we have been warned that Stanford does NOT like wet food.  He's currently eating the "Hairball control" version of Purina One -- we plan to start mixing it with the weight control version once he's settled.  He sheds like crazy, so the hairball control is going to have to stay, else I'll be walking in little hairballs in the middle of the night  :o

Hugs,
M

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2013, 05:19:25 pm »
Yes -- we have been warned that Stanford does NOT like wet food.  He's currently eating the "Hairball control" version of Purina One -- we plan to start mixing it with the weight control version once he's settled.  He sheds like crazy, so the hairball control is going to have to stay, else I'll be walking in little hairballs in the middle of the night  :o

Hugs,
M

I've been mixing my cat's weight control with indoor Cat Chow.  I would like to gradually replace the Cat Chow with weight control Cat Chow.

My cat sheds also, so I get having to use hairball control.  I do at times, but luckily she hasn't been hacking up anything lately.  Unless she eats her treats too fast, then they come back up.  Cats are fun aren't they?  I wouldn't have it any other way though.

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2013, 10:20:04 pm »
Bocker3,

You can go to petsmart and get Laxatone hairball stuff for cats.  My Kitty licks it right off the tube, or you can try the stupid, human way and shove mineral oil down their throat.

Michelle
How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2013, 11:35:21 pm »
I wonder how long until the cat nip with ally cats video scandal ruins his career . 

http://news.yahoo.com/morris-cat-runs-mayor-mexican-city-170928886.html
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2013, 01:55:46 am »
I wish the dog in my profile pic was mine, but it is a stock photo.  Below is my crew.  We now have two additions to the family.  My partner, Brian, is a teacher and brought home his school critters.  One is Franklin the Turtle.  We let him walk around the yard, when we are outside.  The other is a mouse of some kind, and I can't remember her name.  I don't want to get attached.  She is 4 years old, and we know they don't live long.  He brought a Dagoo (not sure of spelling, but a mouse-type animal) home one summer.  She would crawl down my shirt and fall asleep.  I got very attached and cried when she died.  So, I'm trying to not get attached to this one.  I don't want to play with her. 

This is Charlie.  He has so much paperwork.

The two on the ends are my brother's, but they're here a lot.  My dogs are my kids.  Everyone says they would want to be reincarnated as one of our dogs.  They give us so much love, even when they dig out certain used wash cloths and give to guests.  Charlie has developed this new behavior.  He loves dirty clothes and especially dirty wash cloths used for cleaning up certain messes. 

Offline Habersham

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2013, 05:41:58 am »
Did anyone ever tell Oksikoko what Jkinatl2 has in her photo?????
Because I Can

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2013, 08:20:26 am »
Did anyone ever tell Oksikoko what Jkinatl2 has in her photo?????

It's a ferret. He's got three or four, I forget which.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2013, 11:54:12 am »
It's a ferret. He's got three or four, I forget which.

Aha!

Offline Basquo

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2013, 09:42:51 pm »
I am of the mind that when My beloved pet passes away I will volunteer at a pet shelter or begin a pet sitting service in my home and earn a bit of money while enjoying the presence of someone else's beast and not take ownership of another dog.

This is what I need to do. My partner is not pet-friendly. I know he would never be mean to a pet, but I don't know that I want to commit us to one if he's not aboard from the get-go.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2013, 10:05:52 pm »
I needed to post this today: I said yesterday that my partner is not pet-friendly, but I forget that he does care about animals, and was never allowed to have and love a pet as a child. Animals were workers to his father. He was beaten for picking up a kitten. Today he had a bad experience as he was taking one of his blind consumers on an errand:

"I was helping _______, who is trying to find some sort of tapestry to put up in his apartment. We have had no luck finding anything so far. We happened to stop at Planet K on Stassney to see whether they might have anything. While we were walking through their parking lot I thought I heard a very faint meowing like a cat was hurt. We walked through the parking lot and I saw a tiny black kitten about a week old out on the hot pavement just struggling and meowing. It was obviously dying from thirst and being out on the hot pavement for who knows how long. I had no idea what to do. I thought we would notify the store to see if there was anything they could do. I did find an old glove nearby and saw that there was some water where the drain from the AC was leaking water out onto the part of the building that was shaded. So, I grabbed the glove and got the kitten up and over to the water to see whether it would drink. Just then two big fellas came out of the store and yelled, “Hey, what are you doing!?” I told them what I was doing. They said that I had better get that cat out of their property. I asked them to see whether they could call animal control and see if they would come out to get the kitten. The said that I should just throw the cat out onto the vacant lot next door. I told them it was dying and needed something done. They said, “Well, you can’t leave it here. Why don’t you take it home with you?” I kept telling them I found it on their parking lot and just wanted them to call animal control. They said they couldn’t do anything and said again not to leave it behind cause they had a dog on the premises. Then they went inside.

I was so upset. I kept trying to get the kitten to drink some water, but it wouldn’t. Then a very young girl walked out, she was obviously an employee there. She looked at the kitten and asked what I was doing. Again, I explained that it was dying and I was trying to get it to drink some water. She said it was too you to know how to drink water yet. I asked her whether she could call animal control and see if they would come by to take care of it. She really knew what to do. She picked up the kitten from the back of the neck, just like the momma cat would have done. Then she took it inside. I had to stop my errand with ______ because I was too upset to continue looking for tapestries with him."

This was very upsetting to me, too, a pet lover, but at least he got someone to take charge of the poor animal. I would have taken it home, and gotten a broken heart when it died. I've seen this happen many times when someone finds an abandoned kitten and tries to nurse it.

Every one of you reading should go give your pets a big kiss on the snout right now. Unless it's a fish or a cactus.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2013, 10:08:20 pm »
Sorry for the hijack, oksikoko. It just seemed like the right place.

Offline oksikoko

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2013, 12:04:23 am »
No worries. I don't feel hijacked in the least. Besides, there's a trail of hijacked threads winding right up to my doorstep. ;)

If your partner had no empathy, I'd be more worried, but that's clearly not the case. Pets have a lot of emotional baggage for some people. It can be pretty complicated. I'm still known to cry over my first puppy who died 6 months after we rescued him from a shelter. His name was Bender, and if this works, I'll put a picture here.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2013, 07:08:06 pm »
  The other is a mouse of some kind, and I can't remember her name.  I don't want to get attached.  She is 4 years old, and we know they don't live long.  ... She would crawl down my shirt and fall asleep.  I got very attached and cried when she died. 

I have a mouse or 2 running wild in my house (and the cat is no help) so I get all manly and by traps but then never can set them cause I dont want to "hurt" the mouse. I cornered one in the corner of my bathroom and he was so cute so I picked him up in a cup and set him loose outside. Im sure he's the one that is back again now. ::)
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2013, 07:45:29 pm »
I have a mouse or 2 running wild in my house (and the cat is no help) so I get all manly and by traps but then never can set them cause I dont want to "hurt" the mouse. I cornered one in the corner of my bathroom and he was so cute so I picked him up in a cup and set him loose outside. Im sure he's the one that is back again now. ::)

The mouse is probably telling all his buddy's how much fun the teacup ride is at your house .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.