Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:21:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 610
Total: 611

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: INH prophylaxis?  (Read 6470 times)

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
INH prophylaxis?
« on: August 03, 2006, 12:12:01 am »
Like a lot of people (maybe most, I think 90% even) who've lived in Asia or Africa for a long period of time, I show a positive Mantoux (PPD) test. It's not something I've thought about or worried about. X-ray is of course fine; in 2000, a chest and abdomen MRI was also completely clear. My mother, who's a physician, laughs when she hears that it's the test is used to decide (at American colleges anyway) whether or not to prescribe/offer isoniazid. So I've never thought about INH therapy.

But should I think about it? It's been just about a year since I was infected. My numbers are good. March: CD4 757, 38%, VL 70 copies; July: CD4 917, 40%, 53 copies. I have no desire to take nine months of isoniazid when I'm otherwise healthy, not immunocompromised. There don't seem to clear protocols about this. I read vague things like people who are HIV-positive are "much likelier" to develop active tuberculosis infection. How much likelier? When? At what CD4 count?

I know thirtysomething (Raj) started taking INH immediately after being diagnosed positive, and his numbers are even "better" than mine. I'm not sure whether this was necessary or doctors just taking the expedient (and obvious, and possibly safer) route.

If anyone has information or experience with this, or an opinion even, please do share.

Jay

Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
Re: INH prophylaxis?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 09:25:19 pm »
These are from the CDC websites:

An estimated 10-15 million Americans are infected with TB bacteria, with the potential to develop active TB disease in the future. About 10 percent of these infected individuals will develop TB at some point in their lives. However, the risk of developing TB disease is much greater for those infected with HIV and living with AIDS. Because HIV infection so severely weakens the immune system, people dually infected with HIV and TB have a 100 times greater risk of developing active TB disease and becoming infectious compared to people not infected with HIV. CDC estimates that 10 to 15 percent of all TB cases and nearly 30 percent of cases among people ages 25 to 44 are occurring in HIV-infected individuals.

This high level of risk underscores the critical need for targeted TB screening and preventive treatment programs for HIV-infected people and those at greatest risk for HIV infection. All people infected with HIV should be tested for TB, and, if infected, complete preventive therapy as soon as possible to prevent TB disease.

TB disease occurs among HIV-infected persons at all CD4 counts. The clinical manifestations might be altered depending on the degree of immunosuppression. Those with more advanced immunosuppression (CD4 <200) are more likely to have extrapulmonary or disseminated disease. In areas where TB is endemic, certain patients have higher CD4 counts at the time HIV-related TB disease develops; in countries with low rates of TB disease (e.g., United States and countries in Western Europe), more patients have advanced HIV disease at the time TB develops.

TB disease in persons with HIV-1 infection can develop immediately after exposure (i.e., primary disease) or as a result of progression after establishment of latent TB infection (i.e., reactivation disease). Primary TB has been reported in certain group outbreaks, particularly in persons with advanced immune suppression, and might account for one third or more of cases of TB disease in the HIV-infected population.

Progression to disease among those with latent TB infection is more likely among HIV-infected than in HIV-uninfected persons. HIV-uninfected persons with a positive tuberculin skin test (TST) result have a 5% - 10% lifetime risk for developing TB, compared with a 7% - 10% annual risk in the HIV-infected person with a positive TST result.

From: Treating Opportunistic Infections Among HIV-Infected Adults and Adolescents

My advice: consider taking the INH now while your immune system is still intact and able to assist in eliminating the latent TB infection.  This will help prevent reactivation to TB disease later.

Offline thirtysomething

Re: INH prophylaxis?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 11:36:37 pm »
Hi Jay,

If you PPD test is positive, I strongly suggest you start INH asap. And it's not that bad as you think. I was petrified when I started INH in March, but it's pretty cool and luckily I have had no side effects.

Raj

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.