Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:48:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 664
Total: 664

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: An excellent dentist visit today....  (Read 3922 times)

Offline manchesteruk

An excellent dentist visit today....
« on: August 24, 2007, 07:09:49 pm »
Joined a new dentist today.  As part of the process I had to fill in a medical questionairre.  I obviously had to disclose my status on the form which I did then handed it back in.  I'm not going to go into a lot of detail but the way I treated was horrible I felt like a leper by the time i'd finished.  I'm considering complaining but I don't really think i'd have a leg to stand on because at no point did they refuse to treat me. 

I suppose it's just something i'm going to have to accept is going to happen from time to time!  Has anyone else had problems with dentists?  In particular if you are in the UK and it was with an NHS dentist.
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
Re: An excellent dentist visit today....
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 07:17:48 pm »
Chris, complain anyway. Not sure who to. Look into it. Meanwhile I'll contact my friend at BP and see what he suggests. Sorry you were subjected to this. And no, this is NOT something you just have to accept. Some people are so feckin stupid (them not you, hon ;)).

Big Manc hug from Atl - see you soon!

Melia xx

PS: I just emailed him but I'll probably be back in the UK before he replies, as we all know how the world simply shuts down over a weekend. I'll call him when I'm back on UK turf.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 07:28:27 pm by sweetasmeli »
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 01:38:28 pm »
I'm sad to hear stories like this. Ugh. What I've noticed is, in a short time people eventually meet the "good twin" in a better setting. So life can be strange like that, like, maybe you're 'meant' to receive dental care somewhere much better and not at that office. I know that sounds a little celestial, sorry

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 01:47:13 pm »
to be honest im amazed you even managed to find a dentist in the uk, i havent even been able to register at one for the past 6 years - nhs dentists with availability seem even rarer than potential dates around here!

im really sorry you had to go thru this crap, dont really know what to advise. is there a dental hospital in manchester? maybe they would be better as they are a training facility?

lots of love
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 04:30:42 pm »
chris -

please, please do complain if you believe this was related to disclosing yr hiv status - there is no excuse for this behaviour  >:(

if this was an nhs dentist, write to the practice head, and also contact/copy in this person -
Mark Carroll
Manchester Primary Care Trust
Mauldeth House
Mauldeth Road West
Manchester M21 7RL
Tel. 0161 958 4117

Email mark.carroll@manchester.nhs.uk

Independent Complaints Advocacy Service are another good source of advice re complaining about nhs treatment

if this was a private dentist, again, head of practice, and contact the general dental council

kate

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 12:07:04 pm »
I'm amazed I found an NHS dentist as well Niki!   I'm in no doubt that there behavior was related to me revealing my HIV status and I would like to complain but I honestly think it would be a waste of time.  They could quite easily just say that I was being paranoid about things.  I'll have to have a think about it and I'm going to contact my doctor and see what he thinks and if he knows any dentists in the area that have experience of working with HIV+ patients.  I'm not going through all that rigmorale again thats for sure!  Thanks for the advice and contacts everyone, I'll let you know what I decide to do.

Chris
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline Suntropic98

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 03:54:53 pm »
I'm in the same boat....it takes a lot to keep up with the pearly whites and it is a pain in the ass when you have HIV.

On another note.....

Manchester United. Awesome football team.

Offline J220

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 11:11:34 pm »
Why did you "have" to disclose your status? I am not sure it's obligatory. All dentists must use universal precautions so why do you feel you had to disclose? I haven't disclosed to mine. Just curious. J.
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 11:17:10 pm »
I saw my dentist today because I had a strange abscess on Saturday, which lasted just 4 hours before it receded. I don't think he knows much about HIV but he seemed very diligent about fixing the problem with my gums, stating that he wanted to be sure that given my condition he would overreact and schedule a gum cleaning and check on Wednesday.

Was that genuine or did he just took the opportunity to get me in the office for $ ? Who knows. But he seemed concerned.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 05:13:52 am »
Chris, even if you decide not to complain this time round, just for future reference I had an email yesterday from my friend at Body Positive who said this:

"With regards to this issue, he is covered under the Disability discrimination Act 1995. With regards to experiences like being given the last appointment of the day. This is classed as absolute discrimination relating to your status. You should by rights be given the first appointment as you have the repressed immune system. So quoting the DDA95 at them would be a definite way to go."

Just thought that might be handy for any UK-ers who come up against any problems with dentists. 

Melia 
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline Rich_Leeds

• I'm just a tennis freak!
    • Myspace
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 10:56:22 am »
I needed to find a NHS dentist myself, and had one recommended to me by my consultant who was a friend of his and had no problem treating HIV patients.  He was a really nice, friendly chap and was with him for about two years until, like a lot of NHS practices he went private and I was again without a dentist, and have been for a couple of years now, which I hate as I've always been a regular dentist visitor, but I'm struggling to find a NHS dentist - it's gone full circle!!
Diagnosed February 1993
Meds - Kaletra and Combivir
15/03/07 - CD4 - 425, Viral Load - undetectable
24/05/07 - CD4 - 486, Viral Load- 94
06/09/07 - CD4 - 502, Viral Load - undetectable
03/01/08 - CD4 - 475, Viral Load - 137

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.