Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:59:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 174
Total: 174

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: you're gay because your uncle cared  (Read 24297 times)

Offline carousel

Re: you're gay because your uncle cared
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2010, 01:49:43 pm »
Sorry Ann, but I don't see how you could compare the two.

10,000 people gathered in Trafalger Square last year becuase yet another gay person was beaten to death in the middle of London.  

Gay people do not go around beating or killing people just becuase they are straight.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2010, 02:04:57 pm »
Sorry Ann, but I don't see how you could compare the two.

10,000 people gathered in Trafalger Square last year becuase yet another gay person was beaten to death in the middle of London.  

Gay people do not go around beating or killing people just becuase they are straight.

Ah how about a little perspective?

The term "breeder" is used as a perjorative. It is only ever used to demean or belittle a person, much in the same way straight people use "faggot".

Ann was merely pointing out the contradiction in Leatherman complaining about a harmless (and not unfunny) joke by Shaun as offensve then using a term of derision such as "breeder" himself.

MtD

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2010, 02:07:18 pm »
Heterosexual and homosexual are clinical terms. The term "gay" is associated with a cultural identity, where homosexual and heterosexual are descriptions of behavior or attraction. There are men who have sex with men, and women who have sex with women, under certain circumstance that would not identify themselves as gay or lesbian. I wasn't using those terms to insult anyone, I was using them because they are more accurate. You may find the terms offensive but I think they are completely appropriate given the topic of this thread.

Breeder is a slang term and is supposed to be insulting.
Heterosexual and homosexual are clinical terms, and do agree with that, it just really doesn't fit in today's society, all other derogatory slang-terms are completely inappropriate, and we all know what they are, so I won't post them in here, to explain anything else...enough said ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2010, 02:08:37 pm »
I think I liked this thread much better when Matty and I were discussing whether gays were genetically or biologically created (though I still don't see the big difference there, in layman's terms ::)) or nurtured into being.  :D At least that seemed to be a little bit closer to the topic/article I originally posted about.  :D

SO I take it thatn that many of you don't agree that gay uncles prepetuate their genes by nuturing and encouraging their families to breed procreate, thus resulting in more "homosexuals" being born?

Breeder is a slang term and is supposed to be insulting.
breeder is NOT slang. It is a legitmate word. Plants, animals and people all breed and/or can be bred. It refers to the biological acts of procreation that result in further generations of said plant, animals or persons. I am not responsible for people that have twisted the meaning of of a legitimate word into some sort of offensive slang. ;)

mikie
(who always thought he was just born "gay")
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2010, 02:14:10 pm »
Ann was merely pointing out the contradiction in Leatherman complaining about a harmless (and not unfunny) joke by Shaun as offensve then using a term of derision such as "breeder" himself.
harmless and "not unfunny" in YOUR opinion. I was offended, obviously like some of you were offended by my choice of the word "breed". So it's okay to insinuate that gays/homosexuals/faggots "recruit" people into being "homosexual"; but not okay to say that straight people breed/procreate/produce offspring.

thanks for clarifying all that. now I reallly do need that list of things that "might" offend y'all so that I don't step on your toes; but please go ahead and stomp on mine. ;)

mikie
(whose delicate sensiblities have been offended now :D)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2010, 02:26:52 pm »
breeder is NOT slang. It is a legitmate word. Plants, animals and people all breed and/or can be bred. It refers to the biological acts of procreation that result in further generations of said plant, animals or persons.

Breeder is to animal husbandry as faggot is to a bundle of sticks.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2010, 02:28:42 pm »
harmless and "not unfunny" in YOUR opinion. I was offended, obviously like some of you were offended by my choice of the word "breed". So it's okay to insinuate that gays/homosexuals/faggots "recruit" people into being "homosexual"; but not okay to say that straight people breed/procreate/produce offspring.

thanks for clarifying all that. now I reallly do need that list of things that "might" offend y'all so that I don't step on your toes; but please go ahead and stomp on mine. ;)

mikie
(whose delicate sensiblities have been offended now :D)

Just because you find something offensive doesn't make it wrong. It just means that you didn't get the joke.

There's an old gay rights slogan: 10% is not enough - Convert and Recruit! that's the place Shaun was coming from.

Another example would be the last episode of a 90s sitcom called Ellen where the title character did a skit about lesbian "recruitment" and a toaster oven. I believe that meme lives on in these forums in a couple of forms.

We often play on the homophobic notion of gay recruitment for humorous effect.

So your offence was misplaced.

There's a difference between someone cracking a joke you don't get and you slinging a perjorative like "breeder" around. And don't try that "breeder-is-just-a-word" defence either. You know exactly what it means and how offensive it's calculated to be.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not sticking up for the heterosexuals. They can look after themselves, but this idea that "breeder" is some twee little term used by charmingly Wildean gay chaps is simply untrue.

Where I come from the "breeder" is the shortened version. The full insult here is "breeder filth". It is designed to deeply offensive. And it's known to be. You don't even have to have heard it before to instantly know you're being run down.

My point? Don't be surprised if some folk get all fucked up when you use it.

MtD

/edit: missing word/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 02:31:11 pm by matty.the.damned »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2010, 03:01:17 pm »
There's a difference between someone cracking a joke you don't get and you slinging a perjorative like "breeder" around. And don't try that "breeder-is-just-a-word" defence either. You know exactly what it means and how offensive it's calculated to be.
So you think you know what I think? Why that's awesome that you can read my mind!  ;D I hope you're reading what I'm saying to you now in my head.  ;D I have already told you how I understand the word, just because you "think" it means something else does not make me wrong. If you really knew me, you would never think I meant it offensively, so please don't try to say that you know how I think, as obviously you do not. Stick to the muck in your own mind.

Just because you find something offensive doesn't make it wrong.
exactly! see, we do agree. Just because some people were offended by what I wrote doesn't make what I wrote wrong.

So your offence was misplaced.
therefore all you people offended by me biolgoically discussing that people breed and pass on genetic material, your offense was just misplaced. ;)

There's an old gay rights slogan: 10% is not enough - Convert and Recruit! that's the place Shaun was coming from.
maybe old gays in austrailia. :D ;D I'm never heard that before. And quite honestly, gays in the southern part of America, the bible belt, would never say something like that. Slogans like that would get a lynch mob after you pretty quick.

Breeder is to animal husbandry
evolution says that people are just evolved animals. personally if more people cared about "breeding" (ie what genetics they were passing along), or "social breeding" or being "in-bred", etc (looky there! other uses of that same word. are those offensive too?) maybe we'd have healthier people on the planet by now.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2010, 03:11:25 pm »
You really find the terms heterosexual and homosexual offensive?  I could say I find the term human being offensive because I think people is much more modern, but that's just silly.  Words have meaning as long as they in use in the modern lexicon.  I actually think gay is a little bit weird because older people still use gay as a synonym for happy and queer as a synonym for weird.  I die a little bit inside when someone refers to themselves as queer, because in my mind it's like they just called themselves weird.  It's also a stupid way to try to claim yet another term to define sexual identity which is mostly a hopeless cause anyway.

The article (before all this got derailed) was about Uncles caring for the offspring of their siblings.  Who share 50% of their DNA and thus the ability to carry on their genes.  The author of the article intimated that if being gay is genetic this is their only way to "procreate" sort of vicariously.

PS:  I think you're all acting like 10 year olds.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2010, 03:57:43 pm »
Posted by: Hellraiser PS:  I think you're all acting like 10 year olds.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2010, 05:32:33 pm »

Breeder is to animal husbandry as faggot is to a bundle of sticks.

evolution says that people are just evolved animals. personally if more people cared about "breeding" (ie what genetics they were passing along), or "social breeding" or being "in-bred", etc (looky there! other uses of that same word. are those offensive too?) maybe we'd have healthier people on the planet by now.

Well Mikie, I guess the next time you refer to straight folks as animal husbandry practitioners, I can refer to you as a bundle of sticks. ;)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2010, 05:48:16 pm »
PS:  I think you're all acting like 10 year olds.

How come Rodney gets to have the giant laughing emoticons and all we get is these little boring yellow dots with lines?
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2010, 06:00:35 pm »
How come Rodney gets to have the giant laughing emoticons and all we get is these little boring yellow dots with lines?

'coz he's worked out how to inline an image. :)

MtD

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2010, 06:00:53 pm »
As the commercial states with the two little girls and the pony. YOU DIDN'T ASK.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2010, 06:21:02 pm »
'coz he's worked out how to inline an image. :)

MtD

Oh! Are you serious?!?!  Oh, wow..  I was joking.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2010, 06:33:15 pm »
Oh! Are you serious?!?!  Oh, wow..  I was joking.

No. I just felt you needed stuff explained to you. :)

MtD

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2010, 07:35:41 pm »

What does the *F* word mean?
Since Skeebs needs clarification on things I thought I would clear this one up.

F.U.C.K.  was an acronym that was placed on the top board of the stocks used in the early colonial days of this country to punish someone "For Unauthorized Carnal Knowledge".  Seems like the early Christians gave us this cool and usefull word, for which I am eternally grateful.  Somehow, between now and then, it has also become a "bad" word by the same crowd.  Oh republican Christains. 

Hope this clears it up for you Thomas.  :O
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2010, 08:07:18 pm »

F.U.C.K.  was an acronym that was placed on the top board of the stocks used in the early colonial days of this country to punish someone "For Unauthorized Carnal Knowledge".  Seems like the early Christians gave us this cool and usefull word, for which I am eternally grateful.  Somehow, between now and then, it has also become a "bad" word by the same crowd.  Oh republican Christains. 

That's an urban legend.  The actual etymology of the word is unknown although my money is on a dialect of Norwegian which uses Fukka as a verb meaning to copulate.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2010, 08:29:45 pm »
That's an urban legend.  The actual etymology of the word is unknown although my money is on a dialect of Norwegian which uses Fukka as a verb meaning to copulate.

Don't argue with Daddy Tim.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2010, 11:21:40 pm »

I meant the other *F* word

FROG

Thomas
(who persiates Mathew and Timmy splainin things to me)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2010, 07:16:56 am »

"Fuck" does NOT stand for "for unlawful carnal knowledge" or
"fornication under consent of the king".  It is not an acronym for
anything at all.

It is a very old word, recorded in English since the 15th
century (few acronyms predate the 20th century), with cognates
in other Germanic languages.  The Random House Historical
Dictionary of American Slang (Random House, 1994, ISBN
0-394-54427-7) cites Middle Dutch fokken = "to thrust, copulate
with"; Norwegian dialect fukka = "to copulate"; and Swedish
dialect focka = "to strike, push, copulate" and fock = "penis".
Although German ficken may enter the picture somehow, it is
problematic in having e-grade, or umlaut, where all the others have
o-grade or zero-grade of the vowel.

read more at the source
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2010, 09:52:05 am »

I apologise for the error, and back out of the room to my corner.  I should have known I was wrong, and refrain from revisiting this thread.  Assholes!
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2010, 11:56:37 am »
I apologise for the error, and back out of the room to my corner.  I should have known I was wrong, and refrain from revisiting this thread.  Assholes!

Rut roe, so what does asshole have to do with all this?  Instead of talking about assholes  can we discuss a topic I want to talk about now?  Anyone hear about Phil Harris and his massive stroke?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2010, 12:00:54 pm »
  Rut roe, so what does asshole have to do with all this?  Instead of talking about assholes  can we discuss a topic I want to talk about now?  Anyone hear about Phil Harris and his massive stroke?
Tom that was sad to hear. He had that operation and was doing well then the next thing you heard was that he passed away. You never know.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2010, 12:12:33 pm »
Tom that was sad to hear. He had that operation and was doing well then the next thing you heard was that he passed away. You never know.

Out of all the guys he was my favorite one.   His boys gave him hell, but one thing you could tell is he loved the ground they walked on.  He was always concerned about them and it was this concern, IMO that got him back out there far too early after the scare they had last season with that clot in his lung.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2010, 12:18:17 pm »
Assholes!
That was beautiful Moffie ;D and I couldn't agree with you more. ;)

However ::) , we discussed this earlier - you included. ;)
They are "fuckers" not "assholes". Though no one has yet to give me that list of approved/unapproved words, I do know that Skeebo helped us find out that no one has challenged the epithet "fucker". Why even a moderator has tacitly given approval of that word by continuing the "discussion" along those lines rather than trying to guide this train wreck back to the original topic.

Now all you fuckers can go back to fucking discussing whatever the fuck it is that you fucking want to discuss, since hardly any of your fuckers seem the least fucking bit to be interested in talking about the fucking topic.  :D ;D

Who the fuck is Phil Harris anyway? Ah! all Praise to Google.

Happy Valentine's Day Assholes and/or Fuckers! :-* :-*
(take your pick. we're sure to find out which one is more offensive soon. LOL)

leatherman aka the Fucking Great Big Bundle of Sticks 
(who is in a good mood cause he's gonna go get laid today :P ;D and who as the OP really hopes some line has been crossed enough now to get a reasonable moderator to close this thread ;) )
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2010, 12:22:38 pm »
leatherman aka the Fucking Great Big Bundle of Sticks 
(who is in a good mood cause he's gonna go get laid today :P ;D and who as the OP really hopes some line has been crossed enough now to get a reasonable moderator to close this thread ;) )

I might be getting lucky tonight also....  I better go shave.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2010, 12:26:21 pm »
The Year of the Tiger begins on February 14, 2010  Chinese New Year: Year of the Metal Tiger***** Happy Chinese New Year***** to one and all!

****Kung Hei Fat Choi!**** all you Assholes and Fuckers  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2010, 12:32:40 pm »
  I might be getting lucky tonight also....  I better go shave.
I better go to the store. Another storm warning with 8'' and winds to add to the 28" we already have on the ground. Damn global warming.  ;)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2010, 12:42:51 pm »
I'm sure glad I moved from OH to SC. Though we just had 3 inches of sn@w on Friday (even down at Myrtle Beach!), it was all melted by today. However up in the part of OH where I was living, they have 36 inches of sn@w on the ground and you know that shit ain't melting until April :D

Kung Foo to you too, Den! :-* :D

Happy VD everyone else! :-*
mikie
(the Coca-Cola addict who doesn't say or type the two evil words: sn@w or P&psi)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.