Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:44:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 592
Total: 592

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My best friend diagnosed advanced stage  (Read 3931 times)

Offline jackgarner

My best friend diagnosed advanced stage
« on: February 17, 2013, 06:28:43 pm »
Hi guys - it's great to finally be a member after reading your forum posts this week.

My best friend of many years (he lives with me) was suffering from red/ brown blistered toes and swollen knees for a few weeks before he finally saw a doctor last week. He's always been fit and healthy and this sudden problem was a concern. A full blood test revealed he is positive with a CD4 count of 40. It appears he has been positive for many years, although the doctor did not know the VL (!!??). Needless to say I am pushing hard for that result.

He just spent four days in hospital while they IV'd him antibiotics (flucloxocillin) and took photos of his feet (they said they didn't know what his feet were suffering from but merely said it was 'interesting') after four days he looked a little better and his swollen knees were drained of translucent yellow fluid (no bacterial infection found in fluid or blood).

He's just come home and insisted on going for a swim to build back weight (he's getting a bit thin). I begged him to go gently and just do a few laps. He shakes when he comes out of the pool. I cook him the healthiest, iron and vitamin rich fresh foods I can find and keep a close eye on him while respecting his independence and space.

It's now two days back from hospital and the swollen knee is back and the toes worse than ever. He woke up this morning, had breakfast then immediately fell asleep on the couch. He's still asleep next to me.

He insists he's not tired. He insists on carrying on as before. We go back to the HIV clinic tomorrow for a check up.

I feel powerless, I want to get him strong again - to go from healthy to almost unable to walk in such a short time is shocking for him and I want him to regain his health at least for a while for him to enjoy. I desperately want to see him without this leg pain.

Does anyone have experience with OI that recede for a while - is it possible he could bounce back? How long after starting the antivirals could we possibly see some overall encouraging results (any good results!)? Does anyone have a thought on what the knees/ toes might be - the doctors aren't giving answers for me to go on.

Sorry to go on - it's a new frontier at the moment guys. x
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 06:30:21 pm by jackgarner »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: My best friend diagnosed advanced stage
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 07:10:06 pm »
Hi Jack and welcome to the forums .
Your friend is lucky to have some body who cares as much as you do for him to help him through this .

I cant speak to whats wrong with his health at this point but its going to get better in time I'm sure . Toady's medications have saved many lives and I'm confident that they will help your friend regain is health as well . Just follow his lead and keep giving him your love and support and you will see him growing stronger . thanks for sharing your story and please follow up with some updates .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline jackgarner

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 08:57:18 pm »
Thanks Jeff, I really appreciate your reply mate. I'll keep calm and steady for my friend - I guess patience is the key. I'll definitely keep you and the forum up to date - your advice is sincerely more than welcome at the moment.

Jack

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 09:06:35 pm »
You are most welcome ... please remember to look after yourself and your own needs also . I cant stress this enough , if you need help or support , reach out just as you have done by posting here .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.