Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 10, 2024, 04:57:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37630
  • Latest: Haziq
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773105
  • Total Topics: 66327
  • Online Today: 380
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 147
Total: 149

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Confused about drug combinations that i can take now.....  (Read 3336 times)

Offline maddeuwch

• Po callaf y dyn,anamlaf ei eiriau.
Confused about drug combinations that i can take now.....
« on: October 03, 2011, 05:11:11 pm »
How's it going everyone...?

i'm resistant to Sustiva and my doc has taken me off the Ritonavir Reyataz Truvada combo that I was on...

I'm just confused about what choice of combination choices i have now because i don't know which one of them is causing the kidney and anaemia...and also confused about what i can take now because i can't get my head around which hiv drugs react badly with each other,and all the different names the same drugs have... ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

anyone know what combos i can and can't take now?

Cheers for any info.... ;)
Po callaf y dyn,anamlaf ei eiriau...(i need to remember that sometimes)!

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Confused about drug combinations that i can take now.....
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 05:29:09 pm »
Hello

1. You are  to some or a total degree resistant to Sustiva and perhaps related drugs. Your resistance test will say which one (s).

2. Changing meds for organ impact is a good idea. If it's kidneys here, then the change off of atazanavir and Truvada (well, the tenofovir  this contains) is sensible. This does not relate to resistance.

3. A new combination should reflect 1) resistance 2) kidney function. Unless you have really nutty resistance there will be several viable standard 3 drug combos you can use, more if you want to go a bit non-standard.

To find out what you can't take, and therefore what you can, you need to know 1) which specific drugs your HIV is resistant to 2) why your doc took you off Reyataz/Truvada.

Did he put you on something else?

- matt
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 05:31:31 pm by newt »
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline maddeuwch

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 05:48:37 pm »
cheers Newt...you're like an encyclopedia as far as hiv is concerned :)

no,he hasn't put me on anything else,he's been on holiday and it's hard to get hold of even when he is working as he's miles away from me and always so busy...

the  test he did on me when i was first diagnosed 6 years ago just showed up sustiva resistance,but i don't know if that's changed....i don't think it would have unless it does so by itself with no help from sexual partners,i try to be careful ;)

so,if i'm resistant to sustiva only,which other drugs will i be resistant to in that family of drugs....?

i'll find out what he has in mind on wednesday,but i need to ask relevant questions from now on instead of a 15 minute consultation where he says everything is fine and i just say 'ok' and head on home until the next time!!!

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 05:58:29 pm »
If you are resistant to just Sustiva then you can't take this drug or the related drug nevirapine (Viramune) but can take anything else, eg any PI, any integrase inhibitor, any nuke (20+ drugs).

Kivexa (abacavir/3TC) is a good alternative to Truvada (tenofovir/FTC) if your heart disease risk over 10 years is low (10% or less, your doc can check for this) and you are unlikely to be allergic to abacavir (your doc can check for this). Alternatively you can do sommat like a modern PI + raltegravir (Isentress) + 1 nuke (like 3TC/FTC, these are very similar sister drugs from the nuke class), this would make a full combo.

In my book it is wrong for your doc to let you have break from treatment without sorting the change out, s/he should have made aoppropriate arrangements. Wrong but probably not serious though.

Good luck.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline maddeuwch

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 06:10:48 pm »
it's really not the docs' fault....he keeps things to minimum info because he knows i worry as i live in such a remote place....he's probably got it all sorted out,but i live so far away in the mountains and it's been difficult to get to the clinic for personal reasons this time...

Cheers again Matt..... ;)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.