Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:44:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 227
Total: 229

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Oral on female  (Read 23563 times)

Offline fandango

Oral on female
« on: January 26, 2007, 01:42:29 pm »
I am a returning member although my old username and password no longer work (i think I remember them correctly) i started a new account with the same username i thought I used to have (fandango)

this crazy story relates to having rectal mucus (that could resemble cum) after douching anf having receptive anal sex. is that common?

I recently had protected receptive anal sex for the frst time. The person I was with used a condom but when they pulled out they got tissue paper and covered the condom to take it off (I figured they were being being clean)

about 2 hours later, I went to the bathroom and squeeed out a mucus type of substance. wiped it with tissue and examined it. to me it looked a lot like semen, had the same consistency (kind of sticky viscose)

I imeadiately went to the emergency room to see if it was semen if so to maybe start a dose of retroviral just to be safe.

the sample on the tissue had completely dried up, but the nurse put a swab up my but and put the swab along with the tissue in solution and sent it to the lag to be analysed. the results came back negative to semen (they could not find any semen) but the nurse said hat honestly did not know if they would have been able to find anything from the dried sample.

the next day I got back in touch with the person that penetrated me. they thought it was all quite funny because they claim to have never even cum. the person asked me if I had douched before the sex, yes I had, then they said that it is very common that if you douch and the have anal sex, afterwards you will secreate some mucus which is nothing more than the natural mucus membrane of the colon. seeing as I had never done this before, I took their word for it... everthing made sense. the person also saif that the reason they had covered the condom with tissue was so that I wouldn;t see that they hadn't cum. apparently he was loosing hi erection and just wanted to be done.

It all made perfect sense. I felt so aleviated.

however, today I started doing research on this supposedly common mucus leakage and could not find any information on it. i started to get worried.

so I thought I would write my story and see if more experienced people might be able to shed a little light on the situacion.

thank you

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Rectal Mucus
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 02:05:46 pm »
The bottom line in all of this is that the insertive partner used a condom. That means you had protected intercourse.

If the condom had broken or otherwise failed it would have been very apparent.
When a condom breaks it's not a subtle event. It's very clear what has occured.

As far as I can tell from what you're reporting you have no cause for concern about HIV transmission. 

Since it was your first time having an anal receptive experience, perhaps that has raised some anxiety in you about being vulnerable to HIV specifically and vulnerable in general? Just wondering.....

There's no need for testing and whether pitching or catching in the future, just make sure the condoms are handy and one is used everytime.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline fandango

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 02:15:55 pm »
Thanks Andy,

right on point and helpful as ever. you guys really are amazing, I cannot say enough good things about this site and the people that work everyday to support it.

I am definitely overly paranoid about HIV transmission, the slightest thing (like thinking what came out whas semen despite any direct reason to suspect it) will set me off.

another thing I thought about to make me feel better, is tha i would imagine that the receptive partner can feel when someone cums, even if it is through a condom. wouldn;t you feel the heat? i never felt anything like that. (speculating here, to alude my fears)

anyway, as you say, it was with a condom, and I have no reason to think that the other party ever took it off or that it broke. also, the fact that thw ER didn't find any traces of semen also makes me feel very reassured. (i imagine that even if the sample has dried up on the tissue, they would still be able to tell if it was semen, no?)

out of curiosity, does anyone know what I am talking about regarding the mucus? colon's natural lubricant? residue from douching? a viscose, sticky substance?   the person I spoke to said that theyhave in the past had large secreations when they had multiple receptive encounters in one day.   how come there is no mention of this anywhere on the web?

oh well,

Andy, thank you very much. I can put it all behind me now.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 02:20:15 pm »
It is most likely residue of lube and the cleaning you gave yourself.  It happens sometimes.  Its not spotless up there ya know!!  ;D
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline fandango

Getting Tested Today Re: Rectal Mucus
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 12:32:17 pm »

I thought i was in the clear, until i broke out with some very strange symptoms on Monday - 4.5 weeks since possible exposure  (same date on month later)

had a few drinks on Sunday (oscars) - about 4-5 scotch - i was buzzed, but not wasted

around 5am monday morning, woke up with chronic diarea (liquid)
then proceeded to throw up violently and continue having chronic diarea.

for the rest of the morning, anything i drank went straight through me. obviously i wasn't feeling very good, but i don;t think i had a significantly spiked fever.
I took 2 imodiums and rested on my couch, by midday i was feeling a little better.

that afternoon, around 5:30pm i crashed. felt exausted, got the chills all over my body and could hardly stay awake. I turned the heat on and put on a sweater stayed up to watch 24. by the end of the show, my face was flushed and hot and i felt pretty out of it. (i remember not wanting to admit that i had a spiked fever because I wanted to beleive it was nothing more than fatigue from chronic diarea)

that night i sweated a lot in bed and woke up the next day feeling fine, except that my head was constantly pounding (as if swelled with blood, as if i was constantly up side down) and i had horrible body aches in my neck, shoulders, elbows, arms, lower back.

the next day the body aches were much better, but my head was still the same, coughing made it feel like it was exploding, bending down made it swell with pressure.

Today, i woke up and feel fine.    despite how much i want to forget about it and make myself beleive that it was nothing, i really really fear the worst. I have taken responsibility for my actions and i am trying to make myself mentaly ready for what may come.

my first instinct was that what came out of my ass was semen, i didn't want to trust my instinct and desperately wanted to beleive anthing that allowed me to put this in the past. the crazy thing is that I had the opportunity to take hiv drugs te night of my exposure but i didn't because i convinced myself that i was over reacting......

today I am going to go and get blood drawn to get DNA test done.my results probablywon'tbe back till next week.

I wish I had known about the DNA testing sooner, (results 3 days after exposure) i wouldhave gotten tested a long time ago.

i am scared
very very scared

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 12:54:11 pm »
Am I missing something here or are you (mis)connecting this recent bout of sickness with your January episodes in which you had protected receptive anal intercourse? And at this late date imagining you have semen in your anus (from protected intercourse) from a month or more previously? Uh, tell me it ain't so.

Did you have some other sexual incident since the previous ones discussed?

I can say that if you are having troubling symptoms you should be discussing them with your doctor.

Please clarify. As of this moment I don't see any basis for concern about HIV.

Andy Velez

Offline fandango

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 01:10:52 pm »

I am connecting these recent symptoms with the protected sex i had at the end of January.   

(is it crazy to think that symptoms can manifest themselves as late as 4.5 weeks later? I hope so...)

i know it was protected sex, and I knowthat the partner told me that i had nothing to worry about because they supposedly didnlt cum and claim to have been tested negative in June 2006.

BUT (here comes the fear)

I don't trust the person i had sex with and they have now dissappeared, i called them 3 seperate times after the exposure and they kept saying i was fine but that I had to take responsibility for what I had done and stop bothering them. on the last call tey threatened me never to call again and then they dissapeard...

The night of the exposure, I was personaly convinced semen had come out of me (it felt very similar)... which if true makes the person a liar - making me paranoid about why they would lie.

i cannot explain my symptoms, diarea, chills, extreem fatigue, night sweats (after 4-5 drinks? of my favorite drink? makes no sense)

am I missing something that completely takes away any concerns I should have? is 4.5 weeks completely too long for symptoms?  is it so inconceivable that something went wrong and semen did come out of my anus?   I really hope so, I wish there was something that I could point to as to why I MUST be 100% wrong. Wow would that make me feel better.

what do you think Andy?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 01:15:04 pm »
You didn't have an exposure, you had protected sex. Your symptoms do not have anything to do with having protected sex.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 01:22:22 pm »
With all due respect, I am not that suprised that this person you had sex with has disappeared.  If I was getting called again and again with something like this, I would have pulled a vanishing act also.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 01:24:21 pm »
I agree with Thunt and Rod.  Protected sex is just that... PROTECTED.  You didnt have a risk.  If you want to drop your dime on a test then go for it. 
RIDE!!!

Offline fandango

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 01:38:33 pm »
I must admit, everyone telling me that I must be wrong does make me feel much much better.   on this topic i love nothing more than coming to the realization that I must be a complete idiot...

However, i am still scared, and i will still get tested at some point, if for nothing else than my own sanity. I honestly still beleive I am at risk, all be it a low risk.

to reply to the two posts:

1. yes it was protected, BUT imagine you had potected receptive sex and when you get home you wipe what you are sure is semen from your asshole. even if 1000 people tell you it wasn't, you know that they never saw the substance in question, and you know that in your opinion it looked and felt a hell of a lot like semen. sure, there is no smoking gun explanation (evident broken condom) but there is also no irifutable proof that it was not semen - hence I think you too would be pretty scared

2. yes, i woud also want to break ties with someone who was stalking me about HIV....  BUT, I called the person 3 times over the course of 2 weeks. i do not consider that stalking. and the person got so emotional and was so reactive (to threaten me) that it honestly makes me paranoid that they had something to hide.   If I were in their shoes, I would have been much more clear about the incident and tried to lay the fears to rest, not try to intimidate the person into not calling me anymore after just 3 polite phone calls....  (am i crazy for taking this opinion?)

still no one has given me a definitive reason why i have absolutely no need to be worried. Yes it was potected, BUT, yes i really think semen came out of me....

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 01:40:33 pm »
Then go test.  We cant help you any further as you have said.
RIDE!!!

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 01:51:54 pm »
Man, this person already was polite and clear and all that to gently try to put your fears to rest.  At the point of multiple calls, you have careened well into the stalker zone- so, yes...I would also be flipped out and probably taking a threatening tone with you about it.  I'm just answering you honestly.  And I would be regretting the hook up BIGTIME.

The phrase "rue the day" comes to mind.

You need to leave this person ALONE.

If I was this other person and was negative....if I kept getting someone calling me over and over like this, I would start thinking "mental health issue...MENTAL HEALTH ISSUE!" in my head at this point.  And I might even start thinking, "I wonder if this is this weird person's way of trying to tell me he might have exposed me to something?"  I'd be thinking all kinds of things because you would have freaked me the heck out by this point. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline fandango

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 02:03:58 pm »

lol, perhaps you are right. it feels good to laugh at myself on this... i guess i too would be freeked out. everything has been so internalized for so long that it is wonderful to be able to speak to people about what i have been going through. what an amazing resource this website is.  hiv fear is such an alienating and lonely place to be, there is literally no one for people to reach to in their everyday lives.

I know that HIV is my weakness. i should really just become monk and avoid ever being scared again...  close family members of mine passed from hiv with me at their bedside before Heart was introduced to combat the disease. ever since i have been very aware of the disease and the thought of me getting the same thing i have witness people suffer from puts me in knotts of guilt, anguish and torment. clearly there is a lot of irrationality...I admit that.

having received such a strong (positive) reaction from people on this site, I now want to just put this behind me and try me best to forget about it. getting tested is really scary to me and if I can be convinced that I don't need to do it, i would rather not face up to it (i know i am coward about it)

But i know that this feeling of freedom wil only last a few days and then my fear/ guilt will get the best of me again and i will start to lose it - again.

i know symptoms should never be used to diagnose risk, but don't my symptoms sound similar - bad diarea, chills, body aches, night sweats.

Is 4.5 weeks to lengthy of a period of time for there to be any concerns?  

lastly, I live in Los Angeles - west side.  does anyone know of any same day 'finger prick' or 'Ora-Quick' clinics?   (should I make this question a new post)

thank you everyone for your honesty. it really means the world to me to have a place where i can communicate about this.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 02:10:39 pm »
Your symptoms sound like a million and a half other issues unrelated to HIV, inwhich you never had an exposure.

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 06:12:40 pm »
fandango
The gastro tract has a huge mucosal surface that needs to be constantly moist to properly perform its function. When its irritated it can respond by increasing the moisture in the form of secretions similar to what you are commenting on.

I honestly wouldn't get unnecessarily worked up about this as it can explain what happened in your case. Protected sex means that you weren't exposed to HIV even if your partner was HIV positive. While the secretions may not occur regularly they can occur for a variety of reasons such as diarrhoea, illness or even something you ate.

Mucosa secretions usually are of a thick consistency, can be relatively clear or tinted slightly and when I read your post that was my first immediate thought.

regards

Offline fandango

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 12:46:22 pm »

I am going to get tested today. i just can't keep my mind off the topic long enough for me not to go through with this test. the fact that experts on this site have told me i don't even need to get the test at all, definitely makes me feel more confident, but never the less, i am still very scared...

I wante to give a special thank you to 411 for his post. i have done research and the fact that I have not found anything anywhere about a secretion resembling what i thought was semen, has made me very nervous and led me to think the random partner i was with was lying.

I i focus on te fact that it was protected and that the person told me aftewards that they had been tested 9 months earlier (negative) and that the person told me they didn't even cum. Then obviously feel confident.

However, when I think about what i looked at in the tissue, the fact that I don't know or trust the person in question, the reaction of the person telling me to stop bothering them and take responsibility for my actions, the fact that 4.5 weeks later I broke down in chronic diarea, extreem fatigue, shivers and sweats. then I get extreemly nervous and scared.

i am going to call a company that comes to your house and provides results to an oral test within 20 minutes.  hopefully they will be able to come today.

all morning long i have been going back an forth on the issue, wondering if I should just let it go, try to suppress the fear, believe everyone on this forum and jut have faith that i am negatve so I don;t have to face the test.  I still feel like I want to back out now. I don't know if I am ready/ prepared for the possibility of bad news.

I will call soon.  I really hope today turns out to be a fantastic day and not the worst day of my life.

Offline fandango

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 01:02:20 pm »

turns out the tsting company has run out of tests in california...

they won't have anymore until next week.

i don't know whether to put this all behind me and try to forget about it, or wait another anguish ridden week, or take a day off and go get a blood test somewhere. (I really wanted to oral test or at least finger prick test, but cannot find anywhere in los angeles that provides it.)

I guess i will just have to sit things out for a week... 

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 09:27:17 pm »
Hang in there and collect what I believe will be a negative result. I understand your concern, particularly when its linked to something that is unusual for you but I'm still convinced that what you experienced was a sort term natural response to the stimuli or some other irritant.

Offline fandango

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 01:31:54 pm »
Thanks again, 411

I am so so scared.

I woke up today and started doing a little reseach. needless to say after reading the symptons for seroconversion, I completely paniked. I am now almost certain that I am infected and I am absolutely terrified of getting tested, although i know my sanity wil require me to do it ooner rather than later.

i wanted to ask, can the secretion of th mucus be a resullt of douching. I had never douched before, and i cleaned myself out pretty thoroughly. i am hoping that the only explanation is that either what I secreated was left over fluid from the douch or mucus from my colon re-coating itself?

it is still almost too strange that i would have the secretion less than an hour after having the receptive intercourse.... it really would make much much more sense if what was secreted was semen.... even though i do not have a direct explantion for how it would have gotten there - although, i was face down and couldn't see what was going on, how should I know.

the strange thing is, I now rememer that at the very begining of the intercourse i thought i felt something inside and i remember wondering if perhaps I had not cleaned myself with the douche well enough. i now wonder if what I felt was cum. i have no way of knowing.

i have never been so scared in my entire life. i am absolutely terrified.  i kee thinkin about my chronic diarea, my chills, my night sweats, and the dry cought that I had for about a week before, during and after my diarea episode.  i didn't even know that dry cough was a possible symptom until I looked it up today. i check every single box in the symptms list...   i feel like it would be too cruel of a coincidence for this not to be hiv related.

honestly, who am I kidding. lying to myself that it was not semen, lying to myself that my symptoms were randomly caused and unrelated, lying to myself that i was protected so I don't need to get tested.   i can't help but feel that they are all lies to allow me to cope with the situacion. although in reality i know the truth.

i am so so scared. i want to crawl up into the fetal position and close my eyes and wish it would all go away. i wish I could trick my mind into forgeting about the whole thing. i don't know what to do. i don'y know if i am readyto face my results yet. i am fucking paniking.

thanks everyone for all your support,

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2007, 04:37:54 pm »
Fan, you aren't doing research. You're doing an exercise in self-torture. It would be big favor to yourself to stay off of surfing the net for "research" purposes. All it will do is fuel your worst fears and of course without giving you an answer.

I still agree with what others have said to you that you're going to test negative.

Between now and the time you do test you will help yourself best by staying productively busy.

And yes, keep all of your questions and your comments in this same thread. That way readers can best follow the conversation.

And once again, I do expect you're going to test negative.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2007, 02:56:47 am »
i wanted to ask, can the secretion of th mucus be a resullt of douching. I had never douched before, and i cleaned myself out pretty thoroughly
That's one of the possible reasons, as I said earlier, there is usually an identifiable reason and now that you've offered that up I'm not surprised at all. In attempting to offer support here I'm teetering on the brink of suggesting a diagnosis, which cannot be done via the internet. However, I do see a clear cause, effect relationship which is more than likely a suitable explanation to your concerns.

If anything, I'm more convinced that you are fine.

Offline fandango

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2007, 02:22:17 pm »

Thank you, Andy and 411

I woke up this morning in completely the opposite frame of mind as yesterday - convinced that I must be negative and in a moment of (what was hopefully) clarity realizing that my mind has been twisting this into paranoyia and fear. I even wonder if what I am actualy scared about is the idea if being positive, not the likelyhood. the thing that is so scary is that it is all so ambiguous - one day I am sure I am fine due to having been protected, the next day I am terrified because my symptoms would be sufficient evidence of ars if (somehow) i tested positive and i keep going back to 'what the hell came out of my ass?...'

anyway, this new found confidence has allowed me tell myself to stop being so ridiculous, go get tested and finally put all this mess behind me.

I have scheduled an apppointment with my doctor for tomorrow.  it will be a blood test, the results will take a few days, and it will not be annonymous, but i kind of take some reasurance in placing myself in the hands of a doctor.

these next few days are going to be tough, but at least the end of not knowing is in sight.  Amazing how my mind can switch from confidence to paralizing fear - i am now getting really scared again....

oh well, the appointment is made. my results will be forthcoming. I will of course keep you informed.

thank you everyone for the support and knowledge you have imparted.

Offline fandango

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2007, 12:13:04 pm »
well,  today is the day I go to get tested

I could hardly sleep last night. I realized that i completely unprepared for the possibility of a bad result. i really want to not get tested and try to suppress the whole experience.

if everyone tells me that I am fine and that i don't even need to test, then surely I can just forget about this and move on.

I am going into the doctor's office convinced that I am getting a negative result just for the sake of moving on. however, if i get a bad result i am going to wish that I hadn't gone in yet. i am not ready for that kind of news, my life is too happy and good for me to suddenly get that kind of news.

I am really really scared again. i hope i have the courage when in the doctors office to ask for the blood test. i honeslty might not

It was just so strange for me to suddenly have that vomiting & diarea spell. out of nowhere. what could cause such a strange outbreak. and then the dry cought that lasted 3-4 days. i cannot help but think that i am infected. that the condom broke and the person lied to me to avoid confrontation of responsibility. i am an Idiot for not taking the retroviral pills when i had the prescription in my hand. i wanted to beleive so badly that i was fine.   oh god, i am so scared.

oh well, everyone has to face the music.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2007, 12:21:37 pm »
Just test and be done with it.  I'll put my whole years paycheck on you being negative.
RIDE!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2007, 12:23:37 pm »
I STILL expect you to test negative.

Good luck and awaiting your test result.
Andy Velez

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2007, 02:27:56 am »
oh well, everyone has to face the music
What, you have a deck chair on the Titanic?

My paycheck isn't worth betting but you can have my empties if its anything but negative.

Offline fandango

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2007, 12:20:23 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement everyone,

I did it,

got tested.

awaiting results, might know by Friday, more likely on Monday/ Tuesday

God I hope I am negative.

i must admit i feel really good about having tken the test. still fucking terrified, but my mind isn't playing as many tricks on me, i am in a constant state of just not being sure, which is a hell of a lot better than constantly swtching between believing I am fine and knowing I am infected...

I think my sanity would have required me to get tested one way or another, but i sure wouldn't be doing as well as I am now without all the knowledge and support of everyone on this site.   whatever happens, thank you all very very much

I will keep you posted...

Offline fandango

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2007, 02:05:51 pm »

so, there is the possibility that I will get my results today. although more likely Monday.

I am in the frame of mind that I would prefer to get them monday so Inhave a few more days of normalcy before the worst case scenario.

i had a laspe of confidence this morning and started to get really scared again. I guess these lapses are unavoidable until i get the conclusive results back. 

Generaly though I am optimistic about it. i have faith that I will test negative. possibly because now that the results are pending, i cannot really bare to honestly contemplate the alternative.

i keep thinking back to the tissue with the semen-like (or just Semen) on it. why o why o why didn't I just take the retroviral drugs. i wanted to believe everyone that told me I was ok so badly that I may have just lied to myself.

Interesting - a doctor told me that they looked up a statistic for what % of people would be infected from having receptive sex to completion with an HIV+ person (with cum inside them)  the statistic said that 5 out of 1000 people be infected from such an exposure.   
first I wondered how in the world could such a statistic be created,
then I wondered, how/ why is such a statistic readily available for doctors to look up - where do they look such stuff up?

thought that might be interesting to you.

wish me luck & courage. i need both

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2007, 02:22:47 pm »
Dude, you just hit it on the head without realizing it:  How does such a statistic get created?  Out of thin air, that's how.  The numbers in the study I think you are referencing were created arbitrarily. 

Contrary to your wishes, I would rather you get your results today so you can have a kickin' weekend and be over this already.  You'd call what you are experiencing now "normalcy"? 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline fandango

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2007, 03:16:03 pm »

i don't even know anymore.

i do kind of wish now that I could get the results today, but if i have to spend one last weekend before knowing, that isn't too bad either. all depends on whether i think i will be + or -  and my thoughts on that change like the wind.

i don't know if it is more amazing to me that such statistics are created and made available to doctors, or that Doctors would put faith in the statistics and wuote them to patients as fact.  this was when I was in the emergency room the night of exposure, I got the impression that the doctor told me those figures to make me think that I was over reacting... very strange.

anyway, I am off topic.   bottom line is that I am still terrified and keeping my fingers crossed till Monday.

thank for the support thunter. it is nice to know that people expect me to be -

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2007, 09:08:53 pm »
Fandango:
Regarding the fever, the chills, etc, don't worry.  Gay men get sick just like everyone else.  Something like what you describe has been kicking everyone's ass in this town for the past two months.  Stomach virus, 24 hour flu, hey it's winter!  This is when people give each other every germ possible.  Relax. 

Glad you're on top of it but don't create unnecessary worry. 

Sam

Offline fandango

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2007, 12:18:17 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Today is the day I should be getting my results.

I didn't get much sleep last night.

somehow i feel pretty good, I am very confident that I will be -  I am still very very nervous, but there is no point getting all wound up when results are iminent.

I just have to be negative, I have to be, I absolutely have to be.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2007, 12:21:07 pm »
Id bet LARGE sums of money you are.
RIDE!!!

Offline fandango

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2007, 08:15:27 pm »

I am kind of freaking now. i still didn't get any results

I left the house for 3-4 hours in the afternoon and when I got home around 5pm, I didn't have any messages. I got scared that maybe the doctor had called but chose not to leave a message because he had bad news. I mean, if he had good news, wouldn't he have just left a message?

I guess it isalso possible that he just didn't call, although i was told that it would be possibly Friday, most likely Monday...

tonight is going to be tough. not sure how I will get any sleep.

I have felt great all day. I was on a high earlier, as if i got my result, because I was so sure the result would be good that I was amost looking forward to getting it.... now i am kind of terrifed again.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2007, 08:30:06 pm »
how often have you come across anything medical that happened right on time?  just curious...because i never have that i can recall.  they probably just didn't get it in today afterall or just didn't call yet.  if they got the results late in the day, you could just about bet you wouldn't get a call til tomorrow.  heck- call them if you haven't heard by noon tomorrow.

and forget about that "they didn't leave a message because it was bad news" business.  in fact, quite the opposite.  if there was any "bad news", they would be wanting to alert you as soon as possible to discuss the situation with you. 

jeez...you can really do a number on yourself mentally, can't ya? 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline fandango

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2007, 08:40:49 pm »

Yes, I am quite skilled at pulling a number on myself mentaly...in fact, It might be what I do best!

this latest experience has at times made me question if i should have therapy if i get through all this ok.

these are very stressful times for me. to say I am on edge would be the understatement of the year. I want this all to be over with, but at the same time, I am terrified of facing the results...that combination has a way of 'pulling a number on people's minds'

One more day i guess.

thanks for the post.   you are most likely right, i need rathional thought right now, because i am pretty much a walking mess.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2007, 08:49:24 pm »
I'd venture to say that the therapy thing might not be a bad idea.  I'm speaking as someone who has made use of it myself. 

Also speaking as someone who IS HIV + (an AIDS diagnosis, in fact):  It's no picnic to deal with AIDS, no.  But facing a reality and dealing with it still wasn't as bad for me personally as battling mental and emotional phantoms I had made up and magnified over time.

I fully expect you to be fine from your test.  Consider the therapy thing.  Might be doing yourself a huge favor.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline fandango

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2007, 09:00:36 pm »
thank Thunter,

my problem is that I saw my mother pass from aids when i was a teenager, before heart was created (just before...). you can probably imagine, if i have reason to be scared about exposure, the ramifications that has for me are huge. how, having witnessed it first hand before there were effective drugs, could I fall prey to the same thing.

i do a number on myself mentally, because i have so much reason for anguish. then i start freaking about destiny and i get really messed up....

i really do want this whole thing to be over, but if i get a bad result, i might just fucking lose it.

anyway, thank you for being there, it is SO important to have somewhere to talk about this..

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2007, 09:04:08 pm »
well, that certainly sheds a new light on your anxiety.  and it furthers my support of going to some sort of therapy.  that's the type of thing you should probaby talk out with someone- whether you have an exposure incident yourself or not. 

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline fandango

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2007, 09:08:20 pm »
Yeah...might be a good idea.

but, one thing at a time, lets first focus on getting that negative result.

after all, if it is anything but negative, I wil need a hell of lot more than just therapy....i might need an asylum

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2007, 03:40:14 am »
Fand
Its probably not something you want to hear right now but it can take upwards of a week to get results, especially from a blood draw. Anytime those feelings of deep anxiety take hold try and realize them for what they are, feelings.

You've submitted for a pretty serious test, who wouldn't get worked up and I suspect the fact that you've tested is having a role in your feelings, sort of like validating your fears.

Keep in mind the facts and let the responses you've received here help keep your feelings in check and try to stay busy. I understand that is a mission in itself given your mind tends to drift back to those what ifs but you've tested and I'm still of the opinion you're working yourself up needlessly.

You'll have those results sooner than you think and Thunter is right, no news can't be inferred to be bad news.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2007, 07:45:27 am »
Fan, this waiting time can really work the nerves. I just want to remind you again that I still expect you to test negative.

Keep yourself productively busy. It really helps.

Awaitng your results,
Andy Velez

Offline fandango

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2007, 12:55:02 pm »
thanks everyone,

it means a lot that people expect me to test -

i must admit i have been gradualy losing faith recently.

i have tons of work to do which should be good to keep me productively occupied, but i just cannot seem to focus or concentrate. instead i find it easier to do mindless stuff like build ikea furniture or play free cell or solitaire until my mind goes numb with inactivity.

hopefuly i will get the results today. i feel now like the results could easily go either way. i would be equaly surprised by a + or - result, either one would make perfect sense.

thanks again everyone,

Offline fandango

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2007, 12:58:24 pm »

the moment of truth is upon me.

it has been over a week since I got blood drawn and 5 minutes ago i called the doctor to give him a 'reminder' that i am waiting for results...

i got a little scared ysterday thinking that maybe the docytor is waiting till friday to give me the bad news (aways tell people bad news on Friday) or maybe he has been putting off telling me as much as I have been putting off hearing about it... (very young inexperienced doctor)

the last coupld of days I have been able to forget all about this and spend quality time with fam, i must admit i have enjoyd that past coupld of days so much, that i found myself wishing that I had never gotten tested...just live in blissful ignorance  (i know i know, i did the right thing, but GOD do i wish i could have tricked my mind into forgeting about the whole thing)

i expect to get my results today.  i am getting all twisted inside and mentally again.

wish me luck

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2007, 01:07:03 pm »
Stay busy.  Labs can take time.  It only took 48 hours for me to get a positive result so don't read anything into how long it takes you to get them back.  It has nothing to do with your tests outcome.

My money is still on negative!
RIDE!!!

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2007, 05:33:06 pm »
I've never heard of a doctor telling you over the phone.  They are supposed to make you come in even if you're negative so you have someone to talk to. 

Make sure you go to a friendly health clinic or Aids Service Organization so there's no judgement, etc., which often happens when you do it through a private doctor.  Keep us posted!

Love,
Sam

Offline SouthSam7

p.s.
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2007, 05:36:32 pm »
I used to get rectal mucus when I was using a lot of illicit drugs.  You didn't say (and you don't have to), but if you were under the influence of meth, for example, when this occured then I'm sure that's what caused it. 

Offline fandango

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2007, 04:48:30 pm »

thank you EVERYONE for all your kindness, knowledge and support.

it has all being invaluable during these past few weeks.

turns out the doctor had thw worng phone number listed in his records.

we got that strightened out and he called to say i am negative! 

thank you everyone again.

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2007, 04:06:33 am »
Glad the place helped you out, any negative is a great thing.
Rest easy and catch up on some sleep.
Congratulations Fandango, odd thing, that mind of yours eh.

Take care of yourself

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.